Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery Chargers,what do you use?...i need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM
ridgewalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Battery Chargers,what do you use?...i need some help.

In my searches i noticed that Dynamite makes a few chargers with the word "passport" and "ultra" in there names wich might cause some confusion about the Dynamite charger i am talking about.

So here is a link to the one i am thinking about...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...source=froogle

Anybody ever use this charger?....or hear anything about it?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Willystylz

I've had my Hyperion EOS0606i for at least a couple yrs now........not sure how long it was out before I got mine though
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: ridgewalker

In my searches i noticed that Dynamite makes a few chargers with the word ''passport'' and ''ultra'' in there names wich might cause some confusion about the Dynamite charger i am talking about.

So here is a link to the one i am thinking about...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...source=froogle

Anybody ever use this charger?....or hear anything about it?
Redfisher on here uses a similiar Dynamite charger I believe.........as far as I know he likes it but the fans are apparently noisy.

I do notice it has a 5A discharge rate.......handy for cycling packs or getting your lipos ready for storage from fully charged down to 1/2 charge.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
ridgewalker

So the Hyperion 0606i has been around for a while and people still have good things to say about it..thats a good thing.

Yeah the 5amp dicharge rate is also higher than the Hyperion.

It says that the dynamite has an 8 amp charge but i wonder if it is adjustable or just 8 amps all the time.I would think it is adjustable but not knowing makes it hard to tell .
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Willystylz

I would imagine it is adjustable. Otherwise you'd have a lot of unhappy lipos that can only be charged at 1C.

On the Hyperion, you set the mah size of your battery and it automatically charges at the 1C rate. So for a 5000mah lipo it charges at 5A. A 3000mah lipo charges at 3A......you get the idea. When the EOS0606i came out, correct me if I'm wrong, but most if not all lipos could only be charged at 1C.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: Dialed_In
To charge a 5000mah lipo you would need a charger capable of putting out 5 amps.
False.You can charge at 1 or 2 amps if you wanted.Would just take FOREVER, but you could.

That's true. Most lipos have a 1c charge rate but you can certainly charge at a lower amperage. Some newer lipos have 2c and 5c charge rates in which case you would need a really powerful charger to take advantage of a speedy charge.

ridgewalker, Just because your charger can charge at 8amps doesn't mean you should. You have to look at what your battery specifies and charge at that rate. Note: Some chargers will still only charge at a 1c rate for safety reasons. AFAIK, my Triton 2 EQ will only charge at 1c.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
ridgewalker

Dialed in wrote.... "ridgewalker, Just because your charger can charge at 8amps doesn't mean you should. You have to look at what your battery specifies and charge at that rate. Note: Some chargers will still only charge at a 1c rate for safety reasons. AFAIK, my Triton 2 EQ will only charge at 1c."

Yeah i know i'm just trying to think down the road.Trying to predict my battery needs,the short term will be a couple 2s packs for the e maxx or my airboat or stampede the 2s would probably be the best choice because i can use them in a few applications...they probably will not be above 5000 mah...And i will first be useing it with batteries for a 450 sized helicopter..there mah is lower than the mah of truck batteries but they have a high "C" rate...some up to 40c and say 1500 mah.

I have little lipos for my msr heli.They are 1s 14c 120 mah and they run two little motors for about 6 min before they would hit LVC (low voltage cutoff)wich is bad to do with a lipo.
I was hoping that i could also use the charger to charge those....wich has nothing to do with charging at 8 amps ...i got side tracked a bit there

Willystylz wrote...."On the Hyperion, you set the mah size of your battery and it automatically charges at the 1C rate. So for a 5000mah lipo it charges at 5A. A 3000mah lipo charges at 3A......you get the idea. When the EOS0606i came out, correct me if I'm wrong, but most if not all lipos could only be charged at 1C."

Hmm.So the charger really decides the charge rate then...you can't really control it your self.Like if i wanted to say charge a 3s 1500 mah quick and charge it at 3 amps i couldn't do that on the hyperion?
That might steer me away from it.I like to be able to choose the charge rate myself and have it charge at the rate i choose.
I wonder if the Dynamite one is like that?Come to think of it since i really don't know much about these chargers...thats why i'm here right mabey most chargers are now this way?...are they?
I hope not.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Willystylz

I cannot answer that as I only have experience with my Hyperion for charging lipos. As previously stated though, it is more or less a safety feature. Even today, a majority of lipos can only be safely charged at 1C. With the newer lipo chemistries some can be charged at 2C or more.......but even then so at the expense of decreased battery lifespan. How much so is debatable. But, same could be said about the old nimhs.

Just make sure if you do end up getting a charger that can charge your lipos at >1C that your lipos clearly state that you can do so.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

I have a hyperion pack, (for my micro t and crawler) and its rated for 5c.I still dont really even like charging at 2c let alone 5.
I charge at around 2.5-3c though.The quick charge time is really nice.
Some new packs are rated for 10c![X(]
(turnigy nano tech if im not mistaken.Though i could be. )
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Dialed_In

I honestly don't know which chargers can charge at higher than 1c. There is a battery and charger section here at RCU and there are some pretty sharp people who frequent it. guver usually visits down here and he knows a lot about many different chargers. Hopefully he will swing by, if not you could post in the battery and charger section. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_84/tt.htm
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
qoisdhc oqina

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=5655

Theres some others as well, i just cant find the website.[&:]
Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Willystylz

That thing's a beast! At 20A, your 5000mah lipo would be charged quicker than a Pizza Pop in a microwave......wowsers!

Here's a good overview of all the Hyperion chargers:
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 PM
qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

That thing's a beast! At 20A, your 5000mah lipo would be charged quicker than a Pizza Pop in a microwave......wowsers!

Here's a good overview of all the Hyperion chargers:
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/eos/

Theres more, some can do 40 or even more.I just cant find that darn site now![:@]
Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 PM
ridgewalker

qoisdhc oqina....I see you have a few helis and a plane down there on your umm...info bar lol
How about that 200 clone..what is the rotor dia?...i ask just to get a size comparison to the SR...So you must charge the 200 battery and your plane battery...do you have any buddys that fly a 450 sized heli and also run rc trucks like yourself....do you know what charger they use?

It seems that people in the heli rc scene think a bit different than people in the rc truck scene...It seems pretty common with helis to have a high C rating and with trucks it seems they are higher mah rating.
They also stress on having a high charge rate...high charge/watt rate good ...low bad.
So i wanted to see what the truck guys are useing today for a common lipo charger.
I figured that the truck guys would be useing monster /big battery chargers...after all it takes a big battery to get them trucks going right....But i was surprised to find you guys are just useing chargers chargeing at 1c...same thing i was doing with my nimh batteries...what do ya know,learn something new everyday

I'm still trying to understand this "C" rateing.....it seems like you can now have a small capacity battery (lipo) but yet pack a bunch of amperage into it......IIRC when i used nimh they needed to be of a large mah to have a good punch..the punch is from the amps available...but now i see low mah batteries powering brushless motors with a low mah but high C just as fast as the high mah nimh battery...i don't know if that really made any sense.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM
qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: ridgewalker

qoisdhc oqina....I see you have a few helis and a plane down there on your umm...info bar lol
How about that 200 clone..what is the rotor dia?...i ask just to get a size comparison to the SR...So you must charge the 200 battery and your plane battery...do you have any buddys that fly a 450 sized heli and also run rc trucks like yourself....do you know what charger they use?

It seems that people in the heli rc scene think a bit different than people in the rc truck scene...It seems pretty common with helis to have a high C rating and with trucks it seems they are higher mah rating.
They also stress on having a high charge rate...high charge/watt rate good ...low bad.
So i wanted to see what the truck guys are useing today for a common lipo charger.
I figured that the truck guys would be useing monster /big battery chargers...after all it takes a big battery to get them trucks going right....But i was surprised to find you guys are just useing chargers chargeing at 1c...same thing i was doing with my nimh batteries...what do ya know,learn something new everyday

I'm still trying to understand this ''C'' rateing.....it seems like you can now have a small capacity battery (lipo) but yet pack a bunch of amperage into it......IIRC when i used nimh they needed to be of a large mah to have a good punch..the punch is from the amps available...but now i see low mah batteries powering brushless motors with a low mah but high C just as fast as the high mah nimh battery...i don't know if that really made any sense.
Signature.
205mm each blade.250 class. 200 is not completed.Only a partial kit.esc and 1 servo is all it has.Not even close to being flown.The corsair, i use the same battery i use in my vendetta.Charge it with my DC6 i linked.
One friend that runs a bandit, uses a accucel 6.LOthers have used the venom pro,(same thing) and an e flite digital charger.(Also same thing)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 PM
ridgewalker

If i could figure out a power source then i would really like this one..http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=4633...

If i could figue out if i could get 12v and 18 amp from the ATX power supply i have.. ...well then i would have to really think about this one.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 PM
ridgewalker

The link didn't work.
Its the HYPERION EOS720I NET 3 - 7S 20 AMP 250 WATT BALANCING CHARGER.

[link]http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_204&products_id=4633[/link]

I think it would cover all my future needs..lol
Mabey it couldn't charge a single cell though.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 PM
ridgewalker

Dialed In...thanks for the link...plenty of the kind of info i'm looking for over there.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 AM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

IMO best bang for your buck at the moment is the GT power/Hot power/turnigy A6-10 clones "their not really clones all the same charger just different names" i have a couple of them and love them
They are Balancing Chargers which means they balance the pack while they charge so no need for an external balancer they also have reverse battery polarity protection temp probe's ect

they can be found at hobby parts under the hot power name hobby city under the turnigy and GT power at hobby city and other places have them

specs as follows

Spec.
Input Voltage: 10~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 200W / Max Discharge: 25W
Charge Current Range: .1~10.0A
Discharge current range: .1~5.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~18
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~24v
Weight: 540g
Dimensions: 143x124x37mm
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Get a FMA charger (fmadirect.com) Their chargers (Cellpro 4 or 10s) can and will safetly charge at 2c. They have 2 types of adapters that will charge every kind of battery out there. The 4s will charge up to 4 cells and the 10s will do up to 10 cells. They also have the ability to revive an over-discharged battery, a cell or cells below 3.1 volts. Do yourself a favor , check them out. The only chargers I use
Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
ka9fax
My Feedback: (9)

Hyperion EOS 0606i I have had this just over 2 years now or about that long. best charger i have. I love my Ion Cube too, but the Hyperion will do anything, and give u tons of good info. ( I used to love my Tekin BC112A Power-flex about 15 years ago....lol. still have it )
Tony
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM
turboknob

try a duratrax Onyx 230. you will need a balancer for charging Li-Po batteries. It works great and you can get totally set up for about $100. I Love mine. Absolutely all the features you need, none of the unnecessary fluff.

Charger- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTSA5&P=0

balancer- http://www.rcplanet.com/ElectriFly_E...p/gpmm3160.htm
Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie has this charger.

It has done him no wrong, but with his lack of real experience with other chargers, he cannot honestly recommend it.

It's noisy as hell, though, if those sorts of things bother you.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4066