Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas summit

Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas summit

I bought a used Traxxas Summit. It came with 2 lipo batterys, no charger. I don't want to use the lipo. What would be a good set of batts and a charger to get for this truck?
Thanks
Glen
Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Traxxas summit

This would be nice. It is discontinued. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSLB1&P=7

Get the same charger and a pair of these instead. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMDK0&P=SM

Any dual charger and dual packs will work fine though.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
fastandloud

Why would you not want to use lipos? Dont you want faster speeds more power and maybe slightly longer "performance drop free" run times? And for the price of a descent charger and two new nimh batts you could have a charger that will charge everything and not just nimh or nicd. If your smart about using and maintaining your lipos theyll be fine. To me its kind of like when you put in a BL system.....you NEVER look back. But if you really want use nimh instead i recommend any of the Duratrax Onyx chargers, easy to use and affordable. my .2

Oh and that summit is a great truck! Ive played with and fixed a few. Make sure you dont bash to hard with the diffs locked up. Ive seen three come in with exploded spider gears cuz this kid kept jumping and ripping it with the front diff locked. "Lock em when your crawling" I scream at him LOL Anyways good luck and have fun with your new toy
Old 08-07-2010, 12:09 PM
No Moa

I know very little about lipos. I know they can burn u if u don't take care of them.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 PM
fastandloud

I hear ya bro. Just do a little reading and use your head. There not like little viles of glycerin like people tend to believe. Now Im not saying they wont explode or catch fire but the benefits outweigh the cons imo
And if you charge them in a lipo sack your safe and their only like 10$
Old 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM
No Moa

I'll post up what kind of batts the y are in a few
Old 08-07-2010, 01:02 PM
No Moa

These are turnigy 5.2 5200 lipos
Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

All you really need is a charger then, right? Check out the many 50 watt chargers for $29-49
Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 PM
fastandloud

Yup stick with the lipos man youll be fine. and whats nice is you can get those lipos pretty cheap from China!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: No Moa

I know very little about lipos. I know they can burn u if u don't take care of them.

and a nimh can explode and throw shrapnel everywhere, hurting you as well as pets or people around you.
Look around the forums, do a search, many more cases of nimh exploding than a lipo catching on fire.

Normally, they just puff up, and gives you quite a warning, by a few packs, before it catastrophically fails.

Fastandloud, i dont know if your a lipo fanboy, never used nimh, or just have the wrong info and dont know what your talking about, but the summit can handle 2 7 cells, and only 2s lipo.

The 7c has more power, more speed.
Lipo may have more punch, but the extra voltage does make up for it, the downfall is the discharge curve.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:46 PM
No Moa

Ok. Thank you, I do some research, I need a charger also.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:14 PM
FireFrenzy

Turnigy charger is what i'd use, 20 bucks and can charge anything from lipos to Nicad...

IMO go lipo and love them! they are made of awesome and lolz
Old 08-07-2010, 06:07 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: FireFrenzy

Turnigy charger is what i'd use, 20 bucks and can charge anything from lipos to Nicad...

To nimh, to life...

To your battery in your 1:1 car.[8D]
Old 08-07-2010, 09:33 PM
No Moa

ORIGINAL: qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: FireFrenzy

To nimh, to life...

To your battery in your 1:1 car.[8D]
^?^
Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 AM
rcaddict0
Banned

I have had two Nimh packs explode on me. They popped like a M 80. Blew up in a big ball of sparks and flames. And it threw red hot scraps everywhere! And some of the little screen type pieces stayed on fire. Melted my chassie and body. This was while running them in my E Maxx. I also was quick charging a Nimh pack to have it explode in the same manner. IMO, and battery not used correctly and watched closely can be a dangerous thing. You can get a decent charger from www.HobbyPartz.comfor like $35 shipped and you'll have it in less than a week!

and a nimh can explode and throw shrapnel everywhere, hurting you as well as pets or people around you.
Look around the forums, do a search, many more cases of nimh exploding than a lipo catching on fire.

Normally, they just puff up, and gives you quite a warning, by a few packs, before it catastrophically fails.

Fastandloud, i dont know if your a lipo fanboy, never used nimh, or just have the wrong info and dont know what your talking about, but the summit can handle 2 7 cells, and only 2s lipo.

Lipo may have more punch, but the extra voltage does make up for it, the downfall is the discharge curve.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Actually, a $50 set of 2 2s 5000 20C HK lipos will outrun and out last any 7-cell Nimh in that price range or more. You are forgetting, that the 7c Nimh might have the voltage advantage, hot off the charger for about 2 minutes or less. The Nimh can barely handle the amp loads that the 2s 5000 lipo can handle. Therefore, you have more voltage drop under higher loads (hard acceleration for example) with the Nimh. Thus, you have less performance with Nimh. Also, Nimh tend to go bad sooner from overheating under the same conditions the Lipo will chug right along, and also the Nimh cells tend to go out of balance overtime.

No, I'm not a fan boy. I have owned SEVERAL Nimh to realize I'm done messing with them in brushless applications, at least.

I've tried and tested this, a decent 3s Lipo will beat a good 12-cell Nimh brushless setup in many cases. Note, I say many cases, not all, as there are exceptions and lots of variables, of course. There are also lots of commas in the last sentence.

Anyway, sorry to post yet another off topic post. But if the OP is not comfortable with Lipo, then I too would advise more research, and in the meantime purchase some cheap Nimh to get the job done, with a GOOD charger up front, so he can charge his Turnigy lipos when he's ready.

Back on topic, I LOVE the Summit. I current have it converted to a 4x4 Short Course style truck. The truck in its stock form, just using a couple of 2s 3700 Mah 20C batteries lasted over 40 minutes, crawling all over dead tree limbs, dirt, SUBMERGED in muddy water including the lipos. Yes, My lipos were covered in water for the most part, and it was dirty water which probably was capable of shorting out the batteries. I think the truck for what it's built for, is just fine with the stock motor and 14 volts. It's got near infinite amount of torque in 1st gear, to the point where I start to hear the gears grind because the motor wants to keep going.

If you decide to make it faster, the first thing that has to go is the stock tires. They are way too soft and slap and flop around too much at barely 15mph in 2nd gear. Something more like standard monster truck wheels/tires that are stiffer than stock ones, are perfect for higher speeds. Also, a faster motor and/or taller gearing will help. Something like the Castle Monster Mamba and 2200 motor. But I'm sure that's far down the line for the OP.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 PM
No Moa

I'm not in it for speed. I have a mini brushless revo that goes like gangbusters. I got this for use in the dirt and the large piles we have at the contracters next door. Thanks for the tips everyone. Ive done a little research, the lipo wires are so large, the insulation has been cut by the boxes. So i need to take car of that, don't want bare wire showing.

I'm going to the local hobby shop this weekend and see if they have a good charger for both, and some good regular batts for the time being.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard of one exploding besides internet posts... NIMH batteries vent when they overheat, they do not explode. They vent a very small amount of hydrogen, far less hydrogen than is needed for an actual explosion for flame. I have pushed packs to meltdown and the most that has ever happened was the heat shrink shrunk back a bit or they vented

Some good high capacity NIMH packs should suffice. LIPO is a pain and takes forever to charge... if you dont want to deal with the extra effort and precautions needed for LIPO, just pick up some NIMH packs and a duratrax intilpeak dual battery charger.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Drivinfast247

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I have never heard of one exploding besides internet posts... NIMH batteries vent when they overheat, they do not explode. They vent a very small amount of hydrogen, far less hydrogen than is needed for an actual explosion for flame. I have pushed packs to meltdown and the most that has ever happened was the heat shrink shrunk back a bit or they vented

Some good high capacity NIMH packs should suffice. LIPO is a pain and takes forever to charge... if you dont want to deal with the extra effort and precautions needed for LIPO, just pick up some NIMH packs and a duratrax intilpeak dual battery charger.
Good, high cap. NIMH packs cost about the same as a decent lipo. I can charge 2 lipos separately and faster than my buddy can charge 2 NIMH packs using a dual charger. Just saying.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Slo-V Flyer

I'm not in it for speed. I have a mini brushless revo that goes like gangbusters. I got this for use in the dirt and the large piles we have at the contracters next door. Thanks for the tips everyone. Ive done a little research, the lipo wires are so large, the insulation has been cut by the boxes. So i need to take car of that, don't want bare wire showing.

I'm going to the local hobby shop this weekend and see if they have a good charger for both, and some good regular batts for the time being.
Yeah I love mine the way it is stock, for the most part. The thing is unstoppable. As long as it doesn't get hung up on anything, which happens occasionally when crawling over a mix of dead branches, this thing will pretty much just walk through brush and tall tall grass just piling on it with its weight and mowing it outta its way. Haha it's awesome just watching it go into thick grass and small thin branches, and hearing them snap as it moves on like nothing's wrong.

I actually had the same issue with the battery box opening cutting into the battery wire insulation with my lipos (yes the same ones that have been in the water). The thickness and more so the odd shape of the battery wire coming out made them rub against the little opening where the wires stick out from. I dremeled that part to open it up some more, and to dull the edge so it can't bite into the wire as much. It seems to have helped.