Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Brushless Help

Old 08-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Jackedman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Help

OK im looking to up grade my rustler to brushless and i want to know if you can run a sensored motor with a non sensored esc?? and if i can whats the lost ??
Thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 04:07 PM
bliptos

Default RE: Brushless Help

yea im pretty sure you can but i would check with someone else beforehand. Try googleing "sensored motor non sensored esc"
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Jackedman

Ok I'll try that
Thanks does anyone know???
Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Jackedman

Ok I'll try that
Thanks does anyone know???

I do.

Btw,bliptos, really bad advice to tell someone to google something.If he wanted to use google, he wouldnt have come here.

You can run a sensored motor fine on a non sensored esc.I have done it many times with no issues.
The only thing, dont plug in the sensor from the motor, and thats all you have to do.
The motor are the same,(sensored vs sensorless) except for the sensor, which is optional to plug in.Dont plug it, and voila you have a sensorless motor.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Jackedman

Why thank you for that info. I think I'll order the motor and esc then.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Actually, it can depend on the motor, and ESC you are using. When I first tried my Mamba Max ESC (old one without sensor port) and Novak Velociti 6.5R motor (sensored type) the motor would jitter endlessly at random, unless I gave the truck a push, and would heat up quickly.
A couple years later I tried again, but this time I advanced the timing on the ESC to something like 15 degrees, which I read something about helping run certain motors better than others. Well, guess what, this time it worked flawlessly. In fact, so well, I cooked the motor because I was being stupid and didn't wanna stop running it.

Go ahead and link the motor and ESC you are posting, just so we can chime in on anything unexpected that you may want to watch for.

My question is, why do you want to run a sensored motor with a sensorless ESC? Is it cost? Quality? You can find lots of decent sensorless motors for less prices.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Jackedman

So what I'm understanding is that keep sensored with sensored and sensorless with sensorless right ??
Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Slo-V Flyer

ORIGINAL: Jackedman

So what I'm understanding is that keep sensored with sensored and sensorless with sensorless right ??

Well I'm just saying that not all sensored motors will work properly with sensorless ESC. It's just less of a worry when you have both of the same type. That way you can concentrate on other problems like gearing etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Hendrick5

hi

i just baught a novak havoc 3s 8.5t.

i saw on maxamps.com a 3s lipo 6500mah it also said 70+mph in most brushless setups . would it make my ballistic set up go that fast if not what do i need to go that fast.

the link is below
http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-6500-111-Pack.htm
Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Slo-V Flyer

You don't need that expen$$ive battery. You can get 3-4 for the price of that one from hobbyking, or hobby partz, SHIPPED. Look for the right dimensions (phyiscal size) that will fit your car. If I recall, the Rusty has a small 6-cell battery compartment, so you need to make sure you don't get one that's too long, that all.
Turnigy/Zippy those brands sell 3s and 2s lipos, 4000-5000 mah 20-40C that will do the job for $20-$35 a piece. The hardcase ones I believe are the right size for a Rusty (length wise), but just not as many in variety.

Gimme a sec to find links...

Ok so I couldn't find any 3s packs on there that looked like they would fit in the Rusty without making about 1/4" more space, but here's the link to 3s packs: [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=317&curPage=3&v=&sortlist=&LiPoConfig=3]Turnigy 3s packs[/link] Look for ones that say "USA warehouse" for faster cheaper shipment but they just cost about $10 more up front.

Here's the list of 2s packs, notice there are a few, but most should fit in the Rustler no problemo: [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=317&curPage=2&v=&sortlist=&LiPoConfig=2]Turnigy 2s lipo packs[/link]
Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

You don't need that expen$$ive battery. You can get 3-4 for the price of that one from hobbyking, or hobby partz, SHIPPED. Look for the right dimensions (phyiscal size) that will fit your car. If I recall, the Rusty has a small 6-cell battery compartment, so you need to make sure you don't get one that's too long, that all.
Turnigy/Zippy those brands sell 3s and 2s lipos, 4000-5000 mah 20-40C that will do the job for $20-$35 a piece. The hardcase ones I believe are the right size for a Rusty (length wise), but just not as many in variety.

Gimme a sec to find links...

Ok so I couldn't find any 3s packs on there that looked like they would fit in the Rusty without making about 1/4'' more space, but here's the link to 3s packs: [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=317&curPage=3&v=&sortlist=&LiPoConfig=3]Turnigy 3s packs[/link] Look for ones that say ''USA warehouse'' for faster cheaper shipment but they just cost about $10 more up front.

Here's the list of 2s packs, notice there are a few, but most should fit in the Rustler no problemo: [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=317&curPage=2&v=&sortlist=&LiPoConfig=2]Turnigy 2s lipo packs[/link]
Turnigy 2S 5200mah hardcase packs fit with a slight mod in traxxas chassis's. Basically you take a dremel and dremel out the little rounded triangles at the bottom to make it a smooth box shape. The hard case's will then fit in PERFECTLY (I mean not even .5mm to spare perfect)
Which is why I use stampede chassis's(the rustler has the same battery dimensions) as battery box's on my projects that I plan on using the hard case packs in
Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Hendrick5

thanks alot for the suggestions

i looked at the batteries and i like them i think i will buy one.
i also have a tamiya tao5 v.2 will the turnigy battery fit.
in my tamiya i also have a novak havoc 3s 8.5 how fast do think it will go with the 3s turnigy battery
and how fast with the maxamps 6500 mah 3s . i want to go very fast(about 60+) for fun but not as fast on the track
what battery do you reccomend.

thanks again for your help.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hendrick5

thanks alot for the suggestions

i looked at the batteries and i like them i think i will buy one.
i also have a tamiya tao5 v.2 will the turnigy battery fit.
in my tamiya i also have a novak havoc 3s 8.5 how fast do think it will go with the 3s turnigy battery
and how fast with the maxamps 6500 mah 3s . i want to go very fast(about 60+) for fun but not as fast on the track
what battery do you reccomend.

thanks again for your help.

the mah rating only adds run time not speed
so 3S in either will put out 11.1V's brand independent

not sure about the tao5 if its anything like some tamiya's, lipos are hard to get to fit.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Jackedman

Hey guys I grabbed a Turnigy b36 3300 kv motor and the hobby city 100 amp esc for it and the rustler go's like stink at half throttle. I'm also running a 3s 4000 mah 20-30C and I get about 30 minutes on it. It pops wheelies all the time and anything pass 3/8 throttle
Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Hendrick5

thanks alot for your helpful information SyCo_VeNoM .