Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Researched Rusterl VXL for friend, I was impressed!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Researched Rusterl VXL for friend, I was impressed!

My friend bought a Stampede XL-5 last year and he's been dissapointed in the handling since day one. He's always fighting with it to keep it on course and every little thing seems to nock him around vs when I had my Savage Flux. It also has no freaking speed on a 6 cell brushed motor vs what i've seen on the velineon.

He's been thinking about getting something that handles better and he was looking into the Slash 4x4 when I told him that maybe the Rustler with the bigger tires would be better for bashing and jumping. We spent over and hour last night watching Rustler vids on youtube and I honestly have to say, I was pretty dang impressed with that VXL model that Traxxas has for it! Even on 7 cell nimh, that thing had plenty zip and good, but dayum, went peeps put in 2s or 3s Lipos in it, it was ballastic! Despite the speed, the thing seemed to handle a wide range of terrain very well, even in stock form.

That being said, what are some of the must needed upgrades on Rustler to help make it more bashable out of the box and or make it handle rough terrain better? We'll be bashing in a variety of dirt pits and rock piles and doing a large amount of jumps.

Thanks for your thoughts and insight!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM
1320Fastback

Default RE: Researched Rusterl VXL for friend, I was impressed!

I run my Rusty VXL on 2S, I used to use 3S but had to replace the motor bearings a few times, burned up a ESC and would go thru rear tires after a few runs. I know Traxxas rates them for 3S but I think it is borderline.

Necessary upgrades? I honestly can say that there are none. If you only do one thing get Big bore shocks as I bent one of the stockers after a b ad landing and since changing them have never bent one again.

Bling upgrades - A-arms, rear shock tower, rims and tires,
Old 08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Rustler is a great truck and it's hard to go wrong with one if what you want is a great do anything basher. In my opinion there is only one mod that needs to be done to the rustler and that is swap the rear arms out for the Proline Protrac arms for the Slash. The Protrac arms give the truck a couple of degrees of toe in on the rear and really help plant the rear end. This mod will make a huge difference in everything the truck does from straight line to corners.

Otherwise there really isn't anything that needs immediate attention. When parts do break replace them with RPM and avoid Alum.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:15 PM
jshultz78

Ive had my rusty vxl for about a year and a half, the only things I've broken was a rear a-arm and a rear bearing carrier. Bent a shock shaft once, but I managed to straighten it out with a vise and a pair of pliers. Replaced the arms with rpm and the aluminum traxxas bearing carriers on all four corners. Haven't broken anything else yet. One thing you need to invest in is the rpm wide front bumper, it's saved my rusty on more than one occasion. On 2s lipos it's crazy fast. Wheelies all day long in the dirt. With 3s on the pavement, its just stupid. You need alot of room to run a 3s.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 PM
hhvg

A thicker body, proline 30 series badlands for longevity and performance, aluminum hubs f+r, big bore shocks to name a few. Id start there.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

are you going to sell/return your flux?
Have you seen the size of the rusty? it will be really small compared to the savage. Not trying to dissuade you, just sharing some info
Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 AM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

put the $20 esc fan on it.......cheap insurance! buy rpm for all running gear and change em out as parts break which they will eventually. stay away from blingy aluminum parts unless you have deep pockets! you could put aluminum caster blocks on as they don't seem to bend or break. also you will want to pick up a couple different gears (16,19,21t pinion & 90,76 spur) this way you will be able to get the right set up for whatever terrain the day brings. this will also allow you to control your temps. my step son and i both have rustler vxl's and they are a blast to run and are very forgiving. you will see crazy top speeds with 3s but that gets old fast and is overkill for bashing or off road tracks. get big mAh 2s lipos and have just as much fun! fyi, we run the 16t / 86 or 90 combo for most off road use. good luck
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
merx9

Like sippirat said get the esc fan, makes a huge difference, also I got the rpm front bumper, I highly recommend it thing really protects the front of the truck.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Freezetron

He'll only be running NIMH for awhile. Any issues with the shock caps blowing off?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

yes the stock caps will pop off at some point especially if he hits big jumps. take off the shocks and make sure the caps are on tight before he runs it. i have heard conflicting opinions on putting aluminum caps on the stock plastics shocks. some have good luck but the majority of people say they eventually will pop off. after all the threads are plastic which strips out easily. personally when you do have trouble i would replace them with a good set of aluminum shocks. i am currently looking for some for my rustler.