Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash 4x4 Do I need a fan or fans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slash 4x4 Do I need a fan or fans?

Just a thought, why do combustion engines that use water as coolant not go bad from the high temperature "inside the engine" since the coolant and radiator are nothing but a bandaid and aren't stopping the real source of the heat from simmering down? Also, why do computers of almost every make and model come with cpu cooler/heatsink/fan of some sort? Maybe they should tone down the temperatures by reducing the power/etc.? Why do they bother using heat exchangers/coolant system in almost every sort of industrial motor/engine application? They should just remove those and gear down etc.

See it doesn't always hold true that fans are a bandaid. Cars die from overheating the second your radiotor/coolant stops doing its job. CPU's burn up almost as soon as you stop the fan or remove the heatsink altogether.

While I understand fans don't "fix" overgearing, I don't see why it is pointless or useless, if it helps keep a motor cooler and thus running more efficiently. I have had my Feigao motors always run from 140-160*F which I felt was too hot for my preference, but I didn't want to lose performance so I opted for a fan, which brought the temps down a good 20*F. As for the fan only affecting the "can," what else do the coils inside the motor have to work with as far as dissipating heat? The cooler the motor can is, the better the heat can be extracted from inside the motor and shed. That's what I feel about fans.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Just a thought, why do combustion engines that use water as coolant not go bad from the high temperature ''inside the engine'' since the coolant and radiator are nothing but a bandaid and aren't stopping the real source of the heat from simmering down? Also, why do computers of almost every make and model come with cpu cooler/heatsink/fan of some sort? Maybe they should tone down the temperatures by reducing the power/etc.? Why do they bother using heat exchangers/coolant system in almost every sort of industrial motor/engine application? They should just remove those and gear down etc.
these are both different from a motor can

The PC the heatsink is laying generally RIGHT ontop of the core of the processor pulling heat away. The older chips were starting to fry due to inefficient way the heat sinks used to sit prior on the silicon itself which would be closer to how heat sinks, and fans would work on a electric motor.
And if I remember right on an combustion engine(I am not a mechanic, or do engine work) the coolant is pumped into a channel that goes through the block of the engine, transferring the heat to the water which is then cooled externally(what the radiator is for), cooling it off that way.

On an electric motor while it will help it some in a way it is a type of band-aid that is not really helping the bushings, or bearings that are at the rotor. I've noticed near my rotor on my one RC right after it burnt up a motor the can itself had a heatsink on and was reading under 110 degrees the by the rotor it was close to 180.

So yes IMO if its getting somewhat warm a heat sink is a good idea to pro-long life, but if you are getting that sucker to 180 after 5 mins with how its geared the heatsink will not be of much help.

Now it would be a bit different if it was like a brushed motor (like the titan 550s) which had a fan hooked to the shaft that blew cool air into the motor housing itself to cool it down somewhat. But cooling the can is doing minimal good
Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
AdamW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fans were invented to cool things, plain and simple. Fans running in your RC truck or car WILL cool it. Fans running on a PC WILL cool it. Fans aimed towards you on a hot summer day WILL cool you.

I just cannot see how anyone can dispute the FACT that a fan is surely a benefit to cooling an RC vehicle. Re-gearing, heatsinks, and fans are ALL WORTHY of cooling an RC, no question about it. If someone says otherwise, then well, they are just simply lost in a fantasy land far, far away from reality or common sense.

EDIT-A typo.