Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Venom LiPo Battery help??

Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 AM
hpiracr28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venom LiPo Battery help??

So i posted a previous post in these batteries but it didnt really explain what i was looking for. So i just got the traxxas bandit vxl with the tock 7 cell battery. I want more speed and power and wanna get a LiPo battery. I was looking at tower hobbies and i found 2 of them. one is the Venom LiPo 2s 2p 7.4v 5400 MaH 20c, and the other is the Venom LiPo 3s 11.1v 5400mAH 20c. Which one will make the bandit faster, and do i need by a special charger for the LiPo or can i use the one that came with the bandit? Oh and will the LiPo fit in the bandit body? all answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Venom LiPo Battery help??

You will need a battery with at least a 30c, the VXL systems don't like anything less. But as far as the batteries the 3s will give you more bang.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
HJJFFFAA

Venom packs are crap. Just look at Turnigy.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

O really.. I have been running Venom NIMH and Lipo packs for the 6-7 years and have never had any issues with them.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

O really.. I have been running Venom NIMH and Lipo packs for the 6-7 years and have never had any issues with them.
Sure is outlier in here.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:22 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

lipo's guys lipo's.... not nihm's....

i've been hearing good things here and there about venoms new set of lipo's and they are very competativly priced, even next to a turginy plus thier new connector system is really nice vs the turginy's you gotta re solder on a deans or traxxas....

as for the ORIGINAL qustiontion which ALL of you have FAILED to answer, the 3s will make it much faster but 2s is still very fast and shouldnt be ignored but the 3s will be the faster one no questions asked, as for chaging you will need a lipo compatable charger, if it has built in balancing then all the better if not, i strongly recomend the astroflight blinky balancer $30 is hard to swallow for a little circut board but you lipo's will thank you in the end

the lug
Old 08-26-2010, 12:42 PM
HJJFFFAA

I don't know what you've been hearing, but Venom LiPos are nowhere near as good as Turnigy. Way overrated packs.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 PM
HugYourRC

You will need a battery with at least a 30c, the VXL systems don't like anything less. But as far as the batteries the 3s will give you more bang.
You absolutely do not need a 30C battery for the VLX sysem. I own two of them, one in a VXL Pede and the other in a Slash 4x4 PE and a 5000 20C pack works very well forboth.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: HugYourRC

You absolutely do not need a 30C battery for the VLX sysem. I own two of them, one in a VXL Pede and the other in a Slash 4x4 PE and a 5000 20C pack works very well for both.
Then you got lucky because I have 2 VXL setups and neither one works with a 20c lipo.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

C ratings once you get over 20-25c and 4000mha are purely for an increased preformance its not seen so much with lower KV systems as it is with higher, and you will see a MPH gain...

the lug
Old 08-26-2010, 04:09 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You absolutely do not need a 30C battery for the VLX sysem. I own two of them, one in a VXL Pede and the other in a Slash 4x4 PE and a 5000 20C pack works very well for both.
Then you got lucky because I have 2 VXL setups and neither one works with a 20c lipo.
What are they, 1500mah?

Or venoms
Old 08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

I run venom 2s 4000mah 20c in my slash 2wd with the vxl system, I have n problems at all, I also have a trunigy 3s 5400mah 30c, there is no question the 3c is faster but almost uncontollable, I preffere to use my 2c lipos in the truck, I also run other brand lipo's in the 20c-30c range and all work the same.......
Old 08-26-2010, 05:25 PM
HugYourRC

You absolutely do not need a 30C battery for the VLX sysem. I own two of them, one in a VXL Pede and the other in a Slash 4x4 PE and a 5000 20C pack works very well forboth.

Then your 20C packs have serious problems or they are seriously mislabeled.

I run SPC 5000 20C packs now and in the past I've run 5000 15C packs with no problems.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

This is why it is important to understand what the "C" means and what the number is before giving a recommendation. Many times a 5C batt is just fine (if the capacity is large) Many times a 40C may not be enough (if the capacity is small)

Number x capacity = max current. C stands for capacity , the number is just a multiplier.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
jkilgore

Read the help they won't provide in these emails back and forth...

Jeff,
Wow... That is not at all what you said on the phone to me... You said you only needed the pictures to see the puffing of the battery. And the receipt was to determine it was actually your battery.And this battery has never experienced any blunt force trauma I guarantee you that. And for you to say that was determined from a picture is a joke but not surprising. I will be posting the pictures online with your email response along with my receipt of purchase. I was told that would be the case when a decision was made so I am not at all surprised.
And the only thing the picture actually indicates is what I told you. That I had it wrapped in tape to protect your already fragile battery. But I promise I will be posting on every RC forum and RC review site I can find. I am going to also post all of the receipts that show over a $1,000.00 mistake in purchasing Venom batteries. I only judge a person or company by how they right there wrongs. The outcome is exactly what was stated it would be.
It must be disconcerting to you. Knowing that your company is so predictable by your competition.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Jeff Simon<[email protected]>wrote:
James:
I'm sorry we were not able to resolve your issues in a time frame acceptable to your standards. You mention that "our success has been our downfall" and I've heard other comments from people that really believe we are some huge conglomerate company that has unlimited resources which could not be further from the truth. We are, in fact, the largest manufacturer of hobby grade batteries in the market, but despite that fact, we run this global operation on eleven employees and that's counting the guys in shipping to the CEO of the company.
Normally, we have no problems reaching our customers in a reasonable time frame, but recently, a majority of our office contracted the flu and we are officially behind on our customer service calls. It is for this reason that you have not been able to get a live person on the phone. We WILL NOT pick up the phone when there are messages to be answered because we want to help customers in the order which they are received. It may not be the preferred method but it's the only way to be FAIR to the other customers we're dealing with throughout the day.
Ultimately, your decision to go with the other manufacturer might be for the best. As I may have mentioned over the phone, the only two conditions we will not warranty is where every cell in the pack is below low voltage or if the pack has been physically abused to the point of failure. Based on your pictures, we would not warranty your battery. Even giving you the benefit of the doubt in terms of the overall condition of the exterior of the pack, the second picture CLEARLY shows that this battery has taken a blunt force impact which is considered customer abuse. This is again why I suggest you use hard case batteries in your vehicle in the future. You will save yourself a lot of headaches.
[/quote]