Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

shockless corr truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: shockless corr truck

I have built (and still builds it) a 1/5th scale car, and i have not used anything else than a jigsaw to cut all the parts. The thickest i have cut is 12 mm aluminium (!)
Old 08-28-2010, 06:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i bet it will need a couple strips of angled sheet metal so stiffen it a bit (it will bend like a soft taco shell otherwise) but it looks good. i have done something similar before with decent results (it moved! ).
lol your the 2nd person I met that used the taco shell analogy.
One of the guys that worked at my LHS used to say he loved seeing people come in with their taco'd RC's after they went and bought a insane BL kit to put in a 1/10th.

BTW DF-02 mignt be a tad hard seeing the hinges the arms mount to are built into the chassis. You could make a bottom plate simple enough though
Old 08-28-2010, 06:53 PM
DriftingDragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gauge of the steel i believe is 26 but what ever thickness you use just bend up the sides and it will become really ridged

and i have the rear drive shaft hooked up and we are waiting on the battery
Old 08-28-2010, 06:56 PM
cumquat

im crafty with sheet metal, a vise and a hammer
i probably wont do it because every vehicle i do this to either never gets put back together after the custom chassis breaks or gets boring of i lose interest in the stock chassis, even if the custom sucks.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: DriftingDragon

the gauge of the steel i believe is 26 but what ever thickness you use just bend up the sides and it will become really ridged

true, but the chassis is still going to flex, twist and bend. i (like a lot of custom crawler builders) only use 26 gauge for body panels because its light and bends/forms easily. for the next one try 22 or 18, it will stiffen up significantly and once you get the design you want build the final product with 16, it is the best stuff i've used for this type of chassis. it will weigh a bit more than what you are using now but it is way stronger.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 PM
DriftingDragon

true, but the chassis is still going to flex, twist and bend. i (like a lot of custom crawler builders) only use 26 gauge for body panels because its light and bends/forms easily. for the next one try 22 or 18, it will stiffen up significantly and once you get the design you want build the final product with 16, it is the best stuff i've used for this type of chassis. it will weigh a bit more than what you are using now but it is way stronger.

well dont forget i need the flex if its stiff it will not absorb bumps and it will flip

and plus i didnt buy it it was sitting in my basement for like 7 years
Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im not gunna lie this truck was completely eyeballed, i will be trying out other idea but tomorrow i will be adding in the transmission so id be able to test drive it

you guys have any ideas for improvements other then shock and i dont have body mounts in yet so it will look high once i get those

EDIT: all ideas welcome
maybe you could make a leaf spring setup. that would raise the chassis up a tad, and supply the suspension.
tamiya's big trucks have leaf springs.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:15 PM
cumquat

i get that there is no real suspension. im just letting you know that the chassis is going act similar to a suspension that is just springs, soft ones at that. th front will bend up the first time it hits a bump. the thicker metals will still bend, they just take more to bend. if you buy the metal for the next chassis you might want to see what else there is in the way of thicker sheets.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:33 PM
DriftingDragon

i will keep that in mind guys and battery should be done soon but i will not b able to get a video tonight its too dark out

UPDATE: i got the rear axle hooked up and it works but it is very loud any ideas?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Lars from Norway

Does it seem to run freely from motor to wheels? Maybe the pitch on the gears is not the same. Or maybe it is something in the differential that makes the loud noise.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 AM
DriftingDragon

i think it maybe that i put a slipper on it but its tight enough to move but loose enough that it wont just spin and the pitch is the same cuz i have used it on other cars
Old 08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
DriftingDragon

guys i have a short video for you and sorry for the quality its the best i can do

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47an31dsl5s[/youtube] the gears started to slip at the end

once i get it fixed i will post a longer video
Old 08-29-2010, 04:35 PM
DriftingDragon

UPDATE: IT WORKS!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWg7LoWFtWA[/youtube]

i have new gears in

the battery and tranny are not mounted

what do you guys think
Old 08-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Lars from Norway

Well, it runs, it moves, it turns, from now on it can only get better
Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM
DriftingDragon

its still 2wd but i just gotta buy 1 shaft for the front and the i will bolt on the tranny

and fyi for any one that wants a 550 in a car that will only fit a 540 can, you can take off the little belt that wraps it if you twist hard with pliers around the neck of the can tightly
Old 08-29-2010, 05:42 PM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

Well, it runs, it moves, it turns, from now on it can only get better
Agreed, it can only move forward now(the build that is)
Old 08-29-2010, 06:06 PM
The Mad Modder

i get that there is no real suspension. im just letting you know that the chassis is going act similar to a suspension that is just springs, soft ones at that. th front will bend up the first time it hits a bump. the thicker metals will still bend, they just take more to bend. if you buy the metal for the next chassis you might want to see what else there is in the way of thicker sheets.
It's an interesting idea, but flexible sheet metal is no replacement for springs. Springs are made of spring steel which returns to it's original shape even after being flexed a lot. With regular sheet metal there is no such temper to it, so it can flex some, but too much flexing and it will stay bent.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:08 PM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

looking good, looking real good. is that at top speed? it looks to be going threw the grass at slow speed realy well considering its 2wd
Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
DriftingDragon

ORIGINAL: tomst-maxx

looking good, looking real good. is that at top speed? it looks to be going threw the grass at slow speed realy well considering its 2wd
its top speed for now i dont think my battery was charged right and there is no diffs in the axles so steering and some bumps do slow it a bit

i plan to go brushless and the gears arnt mounted properly but im going to my lhs tomorrow so i may be a bit faster but yes it is fairly slow
Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM
DriftingDragon

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

It's an interesting idea, but flexible sheet metal is no replacement for springs. Springs are made of spring steel which returns to it's original shape even after being flexed a lot. With regular sheet metal there is no such temper to it, so it can flex some, but too much flexing and it will stay bent.
it seems to have enough flex for bumps and jumps but no articulation so not really a crawler