Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My RC10GT brushless conversion w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
crazdgunman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My RC10GT brushless conversion w/ pics

My brother had a 'like new" AE RC10GT and gave it to me. I hopped it up a bit with factory team accessories and a little carbon fiber. I decided to go ahead and fabricate a motor mount, battery tray/holder and a mount for the ESC to ride on. I chose the Velineon VXL brushless setup due to it's massive torque and ability to run on 2 or 3s lipo's up to 8000milamps/11v for a TON of muscle. After a few weeks work, the truck is done. It is VERY fast and the torque is off the hook ! I am most pleased with this conversion. Enjoy the pics !

Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: My RC10GT brushless conversion w/ pics

ORIGINAL: crazdgunman

My brother had a 'like new" AE RC10GT and gave it to me. I hopped it up a bit with factory team accessories and a little carbon fiber. I decided to go ahead and fabricate a motor mount, battery tray/holder and a mount for the ESC to ride on. I chose the Velineon VXL brushless setup due to it's massive torque and ability to run on 2 or 3s lipo's up to 8000milamps/11v for a TON of muscle. After a few weeks work, the truck is done. It is VERY fast and the torque is off the hook ! I am most pleased with this conversion. Enjoy the pics !

Very nice build !

Gonna have to get some vid of that beast.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 AM
depro

That's a really nice looking conversion. Did you make the motor mount by hand or with a cnc machine? Will it still wheelie with that motor placement?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM
crazdgunman

I made the mount out of some 2"x2" L-stock aluminum using my handtools and belt grinder. The truck will not wheelie anymore which is a good thing. Popping/riding wheelie'slooks cool but is a waste of power. The truck handles extremely well and is very responsive. It will drive/handle circles around my 2wd Slash and is noticably faster as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
hpijunkie

nice setup....

i was wondering how to convert my extra rc10gt chassis to electric. your pics explain alot on what i need to do to convert one.

would you consider making a motor mount and selling it?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Agreed, if you could sell the mount for say $15-20 I bet a lot of people would buy them (you would be able to make a ton of mounts out of one piece of angle iron)
Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM
crazdgunman

I had about 2 hours of time invested in the mount. Getting it right and using the existing mounting holes that were already in the chassis that the nitro motor used was the challenge. I am not really into the idea of making a bunch and selling. I did this mount using a hacksaw, a belt grinder/sander, files and sandpaper and alot of polishing. I will tell you how to do it though.

1. Make a working pattern out of a piece of stiff poster board to use as a guide. After removing the existing nitro mount, lay it flat on your poster board and trace it & mark your mounting holes.

2. leave enough on your pattern so you can bend one end up to 90 degrees. This is where your motor to bolt to.

3. carefully cut out your pattern and do a test fit....eyeball it the best you can.

4. get a piece of 1/8" thick 2"x2" aluminum angle from Lowes and rough cut your pattern on it using a hacksaw then use metel files for final shaping. TESTFITYOURWORKASYOUPROGRESS.

5. drill all mounting holes for the mount on a drill press if you have one. A hand-power drill can be used if you have a steady hand .

6. test fit your motor on the mount and do a teat fit on the chassis. Be sure to allow enough movement in the mount to adjust gear mesh.

7. Once satisfied with the overall fit....do a final sanding job with 320 sandpaper and polish to your liking. Look closely at my pics as a guide to get a general idea of the shape of my mount.

Good luck !
Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 PM
depro

Wow you certainly have a lot of patience with metal. I've made a few motor mounts but they usually come out looking pretty rough since I'm in a hurry to get the car running. Overall that has to be one of the cleanest electric conversions I've ever seen. None of my rc cars wheelie either and I prefer it that way. Its nice to be able to floor the throttle and watch the tires balloon up! Are you going to post a video?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Put an 87t spur and an 18t pinion on it.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
nastety92

Your truck came out really nice. Great job on the motor mount and battery holder. What type of lipo's are you using and how do you like them.

Here is a picture of my brushless RC10GT. It has a little different setup right now but I'm looking to change the batteries and battery location.

Nick
Old 12-25-2010, 06:20 AM
vxlhammbone

how many kv motor should i buy? i heard a lower kv will give more torque. but what range is best for rc10 gt conv.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:47 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: depro

That's a really nice looking conversion.
+2
Wow! Imagine a brushless RC with manual brakes. He could have a servo operate the brakes.[8D]