RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Your experiences with cheaper lipos/chargers (Zippy, Turnigy) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10137706-your-experiences-cheaper-lipos-chargers-zippy-turnigy.html)

VXL ENCHILADA 11-15-2010 08:34 PM

Your experiences with cheaper lipos/chargers (Zippy, Turnigy)

Hey guys,

I'm on the market for a Lipo battery and charger that won't break the bank and I see a lot of people that are using the Zippy and Turnigy lipos and chargers for this purpose. For the people that have owned one of these packs, or chargers, (i'm thinking the accucell-6 or 8) could you tell me anything about your past experiences with them?

I don't want to buy something that won't work well but I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money for batteries that are just as good as the cheaper ones either. I just want to hear your feedback about packs you have owned so I can make a decision on whether or not these batteries will be worth while for me.

(If it helps at all, I'm going to be running them in a rustler w/ a mamba max pro 5700)

Thanks!

nitrosportsandrunner 11-15-2010 08:48 PM

RE: Your experiences with cheaper lipos/chargers (Zippy, Turnigy)

i have several 2 and 3s lipo packs from hong kong that i bought off ebay. the listings all say akku. they have worked well.
and i have a imax B6 charger. no problems there either.

ScottStaypuff 11-15-2010 08:49 PM

So far so good. I have the Accucel 6 and use it often (actually more than my Team Checkpoint TC1030), also a host of Zippy/Turnigy lipos, no problems there. I do have one Turnigy LiFe pack that has puffed but I overcharged it, my mistake.

VXL ENCHILADA 11-15-2010 08:53 PM

Good to hear two good stories so far. I'm interested in what other people have to say. Most of the things I have heard about the zippy/turnigy batteries is that they are worth the low price..... Let me know what you think if you haven't already!

SyCo_VeNoM 11-15-2010 09:23 PM

Have 7 Turnigy batteries, all work great. I puffed 2 very slightly but that was due to me storing then at a full charge for bout 2 months(charged em and weather was bad on days I had to run). So them puffing is my fault not the manufacturers. The 2 puffed ones went down since I started using them like normal, and storing them at proper voltages, work perfectly fine, and never heat up.
I plan on ordering 2 more soon.

Have 2 sky lipos from hobby parts for my mini e-revo they seem to work fine could beat the price $14 shipped for 2 ;)

bladefan 11-15-2010 09:43 PM

my experience with the hobbyking type lipos have been good. no unexpected problems.

For a charger, I personally would check around the forums. I've read good things about the $50-60 AC6thunder, or something like that. I think you don't need a power supply.

yotaman1991 11-15-2010 09:49 PM

i use the imax b6 charger and zippy batteries and love them both. great purchases in my opion. i do have 1 more expensive battery though and its no better then the zippys and cost twice the amount.

Brainanator 11-15-2010 09:51 PM

[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028&aff=147258]Turnigy Accucel-6[/link] and [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15167&aff=147258]HobbyKing ECO6-10 200W (USA WAREHOUSE)[/link].

I've had the turnigy for over a year now, and it still works perfectly.
Just go the hobbyking one last month. Super beefy, charge and discharge way faster. Fan doesn't come on till the unit hit 40C (lets you see the internal temp). The fan moves a lot of air, so it cools off fast.

All the cheap lipos I've gotten (6 total for me, more for friends) have worked great, 3 for over a year, and 3 for about 3 months. :)

VXL ENCHILADA 11-15-2010 10:12 PM

Wow, really good to hear this! I think I'll definitely spend the money on these cheap batteries then. Either way if something goes wrong its only $25 out the door rather then $200 haha :)

Thanks guys!

yotaman1991 11-15-2010 10:22 PM

seriously buy them they are way worth it,you can get 2 batteries and 1 charger for under$100. thats sweet...

VXL ENCHILADA 11-15-2010 10:45 PM

Yeah exactly my point.

The cost of a half-decent expensive battery can get you two batteries and a charger haha :P... thats good stuff right there. Thanks for the opinions once again guys I'm definitely going for it

ausjethro 11-19-2010 04:35 AM

I can only comment on the Zippy 3S lipos-I've been running 4900Mah 25c 3S lipos in my B/L E-Revo and Savage Flux for about 10 months and all I can say is that they have performed well-decent run times,they balance well,haven't puffed up during running or charging and they are well priced-based on my experience,I would say they are worth a look.
Jethro,
Australia.

FoamyVictim 11-19-2010 10:31 AM

I've had several, ranging from 2S up to 6S. All of them work very well. I have a couple that are 2+ years old and still work. The Zippy Nano-Tech packs are AWESOME. For chargers, we like these:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=12105

and if you never intend to charge anything more than a 2S pack:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

kaiser01 11-19-2010 11:22 AM

love my turnigy packs, i only run 2s but they have been flawless.

LewAshby 11-19-2010 11:59 AM

As a person who has both MaxAmp batteries and HobbyKing batteries, I am able to say from personal experience that the only difference is the price.

BigGrump 11-19-2010 12:55 PM

I own and use 12 Zippy batteries, 2S and 3S. Every one worked exactly as it should when new, and now after many, many re-charges, are as good as new.

Dennis

guys2nv 11-21-2010 11:38 AM

I have 13 diff lipos from diff company's (venom,zippy,turnigy,blue lipo,g-force and a $20 2s ebay batt-those akku listings on ebay). I like the turnigy's/ Blue lipo myself. I had a blue lipo puff on me (only b/c i let a noob drive my slash 4x4-no throttle full throttle and didnt use anything in between and after about 20-25 min of hard running it puffed up. The puff did go down and i can still use it but i'm wary of using puffed lipo's plus i have many more. One zippy i got from HK wouldn't charge right outta the box (broken wire) but i let it go and ended up out of warranty so im stuck w/ it. Don't buy G-Force brand from value hobby-Fully charged i only got about 15 min of run time so skip that brand. I also have turnigy nano tech 5000mah 45-90c 3s-My fav batt by far. The $20 ebay batt has been great to no prob's w/ that one either-Cant beat $20 for a batt-just takes awhile to get it from china. The venom is an awesome batt to (I have the 6400mah 3s2p $80 batt from venom)- It doesn't fit really well in a slash 4x4 though and you will need the slash battery expansion kit to fit it but is an absolute beast.

VXL ENCHILADA 11-21-2010 12:09 PM

I just ordered a zippy batt and a turnigy accucell charger so I'll let you guys how my experience goes soon!

Brett

plasmaedge 11-21-2010 03:55 PM

i run the zippy 2s hardcase 4000mah 25c pack and charge it off of an imax b6.<div>
</div><div>Im more than happy with it.</div><div>
</div><div>I get around 30-35 minutes runtime with my 3300kv ezrun and the battery alwasy charges up to around 4300mah.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Couldnt be happier</div>

mazdaprotege4 11-21-2010 04:03 PM

I have had great luck with my turnigys

VXL ENCHILADA 11-21-2010 04:15 PM

Great!

I actually was mistaken in the post above. I ordered a 3s 5000mah turnigy pack and the accucell-8. Can't wait to solder the plugs up and see how this thing runs!

Brett

amen 11-23-2010 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Chuck Finley

As a person who has both MaxAmp batteries and HobbyKing batteries, I am able to say from personal experience that the only difference is the price.
+1
my exp is that zippys are actually better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VXL ENCHILADA 11-23-2010 03:18 PM

Mine just shipped yesterday, I can't wait for them to arrive.

The only thing I need to figure out before I run this thing is what I'm going to use as a power source. I found some cool build plans for under $20 and people in the thread seem to love it, but I'm wondering if any of the people in this thread have chargers with external power sources, what are you using?

Thanks!
Brett

shnebo 11-23-2010 08:22 PM

i got 2 hard case turnigy packs. They are awesome. i highly recommend them. the new usa warehouse is awesome

burnineyes 11-23-2010 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: VXL ENCHILADA

Mine just shipped yesterday, I can't wait for them to arrive.

The only thing I need to figure out before I run this thing is what I'm going to use as a power source. I found some cool build plans for under $20 and people in the thread seem to love it, but I'm wondering if any of the people in this thread have chargers with external power sources, what are you using?

Thanks!
Brett

There are tons of pros for using HK batteries, and only one con I can think of. They are very difficult to get warrantied if you ever were to have a problem. That said, I have been using all kinds of HK lipos and chargers for about 2 years, switching from all kinds of more popular "big" brands. I see no difference whatsoever in power, runtime and longevity. Never had one puff or die for any reason.

Making a homade power supply is not too difficult and usually works great as long as it is rated a bit higher than what you plan to use. I have enough packs that I only charge at home, so I just use an old 1:1 car battery I had lying around hooked up to an automotive type charger. In rare occasions I have needed to charge at the track and I just hook up to my real cars battery there.