RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Losi TLR 22 Buggy (Pics) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10630013-losi-tlr-22-buggy-pics.html)

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-23-2011 08:29 PM

RE: Losi TLR 22 Buggy (Pics)

Maybe ThunderbirdJunkie had that part backwards :P

BigTb17 07-24-2011 04:49 PM

Finished the body this afternoon (pictures below). Still waffling about what power system to use. I also can't decide if I should try to take advantage of my shorter servo and try to use a stick pack with the mid motor setup, or if I should just order some saddle packs (or other properly fitting battery setup). It would be nice to have some saddle packs anyway, then I would have the flexibility in the future if I ever needed it. Decisions, decisions.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1279.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1275.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1282.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1271.jpg

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-24-2011 05:27 PM

So where are you gonna be racing it, building it mid motor and all?

BigTb17 07-24-2011 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

So where are you gonna be racing it, building it mid motor and all?
Well honestly, it may not actually get raced competitively [&:]. I know I know, what they heck am I doing buying a serious race kit if I may not even race it. The reason involves a bit of history. The first hobby grade kit I ever purchased and built was an Associated RC10B3 Factory Team around the time they first came out. I was just a young basher that saved up his money and bought the "best" version of the buggy he salivated over in magazines. Up to that point the nicest vehicle I'd had was a Rusler (paid extra for the version with the electronic speed control, because I liked the idea of better efficiency than the mechanical speed control for getting longer run times out of my 1200-1800 mAh Ni-Cd packs).

I loved the look of buggies (still do) and wanted to build a kit. I had a blast building the B3 myself and compared to anything I'd ever driven (including the Rustler) the handling was a revelation. It was nimble, responsive, jumped well, was quick, and it accelerated better and got better run times than my Rustler. And it only broke once (minor break that didn't make the buggy un-drivable while waiting for a trip to the LHS for a replacement). When I would go out for a bashing session with friends one big reason I think I didn't break stuff was because I didn't hit anything. My buggy just handled so predictably, haha.

I still have my B3, and though there is nothing technically "wrong" with it or broken, it really needs some TLC at this point. While it may just be nostalgia or something like that, I still fondly remember getting and building my B3, and overall I feel it was my favorite "basher" I've had based on the fun I had flinging that car around all types of places. For a couple years I've been pondering getting another 2WD buggy, and the most likely candidate was the B4/4.1. However, for whatever reason, when I saw the TLR 22 I just couldn't get it out of my head and decided that I was finally getting another 2WD buggy.

As for building it mid-motor, that's really just to satisfy my curiosity.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-24-2011 08:03 PM

The 22 is the strongest 2w buggy ever built, so it's gonna make a good basher[8D]

We need some videos of it jumping houses, school buses, Airbus A380s, etc...

BigTb17 07-28-2011 03:01 PM

I got the replacement parts from Horizon yesterday. The replacement toe plate was perfect and the last bits of the car went together quick and easy with the new part. I've got the tires mounted as well. I went with Pro-Line Caliber tires for the rear and standard 4 rib front tires. It's basically ready to go, I just have to get a motor/ESC setup.

I'm strongly considering a Tekin RS w/10.5 or 13.5 turn motor combo. I've wanted to try a Tekin setup and the small size of the RS ESC would be a welcome attribute on this chassis. The chassis is very narrow and the body is very low slung. Not a lot of space.

ElectricGuy007 07-28-2011 03:06 PM

Im serious about getting one of these cars. Just heard the stock screws are terrible, and I might have to get a stainless steel screw kit instead. Im either thinking about one of these or the new B4.1 Factory Team. I have not made up my mind yet.

BigTb17 07-28-2011 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Im serious about getting one of these cars. Just heard the stock screws are terrible, and I might have to get a stainless steel screw kit instead. Im either thinking about one of these or the new B4.1 Factory Team. I have not made up my mind yet.
I read the same thing (saw it even on one of the reviews on Horizon's website). I admit, I had a couple problems with the build (previously mentioned toe plate and bearing), but those parts were replaced free (and quite quickly). I was a bit nervous about the hardware from what I read (rounded screws and screw heads snapping off), however I had zero problems with the hardware. I didn't even use very good wrenches.

As with most models, the plastic and graphite screw holes aren't tapped, and some where very tight the first time threading a screw into them. However, the very tightest ones got much better with a tiny application of silicone diff lube on the screw. I was extra nervous due to the crappy hex wrenches I was using and was ever ready for one to suddenly pop and round out one of the screws, but I had no such issues. Just make sure you fully seat the wrench in the screw before applying force. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but that was my personal experience.

I don't use ball head wrenches for a build if I can help it specifically because they do seem to round screws easier and the screws are tighter during the initial build due to the untapped holes.

Granted, I'm not saying the B4.1 isn't a great car. I don't think you will go very wrong with either.

I actually remember my FT B3 build (many, many years ago) and the only problem I remember having was with a screw or two rounding because some of the hardware was actually aluminum. On each part calling for aluminum screws I had to make sure I put a steel screw into the part first to make threads, because the aluminum screws weren't strong enough. But once I started doing that, no more issues.

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-28-2011 07:03 PM

Stainless screws are awful. Go to Tony's Screws and ignore stainless BS.

e123 07-29-2011 02:11 PM

Stainless screws are awful. Go to Tony's Screws and ignore stainless BS.
Whats awful about them? Not arguing, just never heard that before.

xerxes 07-29-2011 07:17 PM

The 22 is the strongest 2w buggy ever built, so it's gonna make a good basher[8D]

ya lyk dats guna happn :eek:

BigTb17 07-29-2011 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: xerxes

ya lyk dats guna happn :eek:
I'll tell you what, if I ever jump my Airbus A380 I'll get a video. ;)

xerxes 07-30-2011 08:35 AM

u want me 2 bring my airbus 320 also? we can do tandem airbus jumps wit ur buggy & my driftr.
dat shood please thunderbirdflunky;)

ThunderbirdJunkie 07-30-2011 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: xerxes

u want me 2 bring my airbus 320 also? we can do tandem airbus jumps wit ur buggy & my driftr.
dat shood please thunderbirdflunky;)
Your 320 is smalltime. Go get a man's airliner.

Ttam Says Blarg 07-30-2011 09:24 PM

wth are you people talking about? This buggy is sick! If I didnt own a durga I would buy one.

xerxes 07-30-2011 10:45 PM

rcx. nex satrday.

b der & b square, tbF

djyjrlz 07-31-2011 01:38 AM

ThunderbirdJunkie

Your 320 is smalltime. Go get a man's airliner.
just made me laugh so hard...

back on topic, definately pondering getting one of these but all in all its going to be a similar setup cost (for me anyway) to buying a savage flux xs. so the choice is mine, bash or race?
<br type="_moz" />

BigTb17 08-01-2011 08:19 PM

Just finished installing the electronics and testing everything. Ended up going with the Tekin RS Pro w/10.5 turn motor. Got that all soldered up and mounted. It took a while to decide exactly how to mount the ESC, how much wire I wanted, and how I wanted the wires oriented on the ESC. I erred on the long side with the motor wires, and I partially wish I hadn't because there is so little space under the body on this car. I was originally going to mount the ESC with the solder terminals facing the motor and I could have had something like 1" wires going straight down to the motor. With the longer motor wire length I went with I was able to mount the ESC with the solder terminals facing in towards the center of the buggy, which felt the safest somehow. But this means the wires have to loop around over the battery slightly, making one of the battery straps a pain to properly fasten. However, it will all work out ok.

Here's a quick pic of the completed buggy with the electronics. Not the prettiest setup, but it will get the job done.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSC_1285.jpg

BigTb17 08-03-2011 06:07 PM

Took it for a quick spin. I didn't have a proper battery for it handy, so I used one that was too small (2300 mAh 2S) and just took it for a very quick spin to try it out. I can't believe how smooth it is. The second I started driving two people commented on how smooth and silent it drives. There is virtually zero mechanical noise (gear noise, etc.) and very little sound from the power system as well. One guy said "well that right there goes to show the difference of a high end kit".

It wasn't the proper terrain to really test the handling, but it seems promising. It jumps incredibly flat and lands totally composed. The handling seemed a little loose (oversteer) at times, but that's not surprising with the Caliber tires where I was running. It was very responsive and the control was very consistent and felt very direct.

Overall, first impressions are fantastic.

yotaman1991 08-03-2011 08:27 PM

Your 22 is looking pretty sweet, paint job is nice and clean too, nice work.

BigTb17 08-05-2011 03:39 AM

^Thanks.

I adjusted the slipper and changed the diff setting as well. I also changed the neutral width setting in the ESC because I'm having issues with my radio. Anybody want to buy a DX3S, haha.

I had to trim the body a tiny bit beyond the lines they give in order for it to properly clear the transmission.

Now I just need time to actually drive the thing. Hopefully this weekend.

BigTb17 08-06-2011 06:30 AM

I put my watt meter on the 22 just for kicks. I did several full throttle launches from a stop and the highest peak I recorded was around 18 amps. I then pressed the rear of the chassis against the ground and gave a quick burst of throttle to simulate potential surge current while driving. Just in case anyone was curious, the tires still spun, so I wasn't creating a locked rotor situation for the motor/ESC. I measured a peak of 36 amps after about a second of full throttle with the chassis pressed down and held in place. This test served a second purpose of confirming that the differential didn't slip with it's current setting. That tortured, howling squeal of a ball differential slipping is a horrible thing. These numbers will likely go up a bit when I get a more powerful Li-Po that holds a bit more voltage under load. Just in case anyone did a facepalm when mentioned a quick drive using only a 2300 mAh battery, it's good for 57 amps continuous, and 115 amp bursts, so it was obviously fine considering how much this car is drawing, which is close to what I expected and why I wasn't worried.

Should run very cool as is with room to go up in gearing and/or timing. I'll check the temps during the first hard run, but I fully expected to be a bit under geared. When compared to the team driver setups on Tekin's site, I'm definitely geared very conservatively. But on a new setup I'd rather find out I have room to move up than to check temps during the first run and find it's running too hot.

BobWoodhouse 08-06-2011 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The TLR-22 is a great build, but I thought some different screws would be nice. So, I went through the build a few times and picked out some screws I liked for it and bought several sets worth. In case anyone would be interested in a screw set option for their TLR-22, I put together a description of it on my blog at [link=http://gammarc.com/blog]my blog[/link]. One thing I liked was to have an option for 20, 22, and 25mm screws for that front rake so that the screws go into the locknuts regardless of the rake shim angle. I made a complete parts list for my kit that is in the pdf attached below.

I also tried some stainless steel and black oxide screws and came up with a couple options, then added in enough extra screws to make the build either rear or mid motor. All the above-board screws are caphead instead of button head. The black oxide screws, below deck, and all the black oxide screws are a tough 12.9 alloy. The stainless caphead option is all A-2 stainless.

cul8tr 08-20-2011 03:13 PM

Well I bought a used 1. I didn't like the 8.5 novak. So I put in a Castle 9000kv with a Mamba Max with mid motor set up. Now this is what I'm talking about. I need to get the gearing set, she gets a little warm at the esc. I can't wait to get to the track. The only thing that I noticed is dirt and dust will get in and around the front hinge pins. Thanks

ThunderbirdJunkie 08-20-2011 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: cul8tr

Well I bought a used 1. I didn't like the 8.5 novak. So I put in a Castle 9000kv with a Mamba Max with mid motor set up. Now this is what I'm talking about. I need to get the gearing set, she gets a little warm at the esc. I can't wait to get to the track. The only thing that I noticed is dirt and dust will get in and around the front hinge pins. Thanks
You'll be putting that Novak 8.5 back in it soon.