RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   lipo noob (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10715589-lipo-noob.html)

biker2006 09-13-2011 07:59 PM

lipo noob

hey i have been in rc for years now and just got into the electic side of it and i been using standard nihm batteries. and now i want to start using lipos i have a few questions about what battery to get. i know you need a balancer and all that. i want a good battery for racing. i was looking at get a vemon battery. 40c or higher since it will be going in a ten scte. the main question is if it has a higher c rate does it shorten the length of your run time by alot?

biker2006 09-13-2011 08:01 PM

RE: lipo noob

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=15086
http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=15087
was looking at one of these batteries

deviltrigger529 09-13-2011 08:06 PM

The C rate doesnt affect the run time, MAH does. The higher the C rate the more amps the pack can safely put out.

Also, dont just limit yourself to venom batts, check out zippy and turnigy batts from hobbyking.com for some great deals.

t9dragon 09-13-2011 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: deviltrigger529

The C rate doesnt affect the run time, MAH does. The higher the C rate the more amps the pack the can safely put out.

Also, dont just limit yourself to venom batts, check out zippy and turnigy batts from hobbyking.com for some great deals.
Venom makes some great lipo batteries. I only run Venom or Tenergy in my rc's.

biker2006 09-13-2011 09:30 PM

i have had vemon batteries before and they have never failed me. i aint looking for cheap batteries i want good long last batteries. i want to race full time next year and i want the top of the top stuff not the cheap stuff you would use to bash around with.

deviltrigger529 09-13-2011 10:04 PM

Tsk tsk... so closed-minded. I was recommended turnigy and zippy batts FROM racers, and there are plenty of racers on here that use them and I'm sure will chime in. Its cool though, you want to pay more for a label when underneath its pretty much the same and I'm paying less.[8D]

Your title itself says you're a noob to lipos yet you act like you know what batteries are better than others...

ThunderbirdJunkie 09-13-2011 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: biker2006

i have had vemon batteries before and they have never failed me. i aint looking for cheap batteries i want good long last batteries. i want to race full time next year and i want the top of the top stuff not the cheap stuff you would use to bash around with.
Then why are you going with cheap Venom stuff instead of Thunder Powers?

Foxy 09-13-2011 11:09 PM

I have some orion packs @ $90 each, Some protek (this is amainhobbies.com in-house brand, decent quality) packs @ $60 each, some Ansmann packs @ $50 each, and loads of hobbyking Flightmax packs @ $25 each.

I don't race any more, but if I did, I would have no hesitation in using ANY of these batteries. In fact, I have to say that despite being soft packs (and therefore having no hard plastic outer covering), the flightmax packs run the coolest, and take the best charge.

TheKennyKiller 09-14-2011 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

if you checked his link you would see they are the higher priced apparently better quality venom battery.

TheKennyKiller 09-14-2011 02:35 AM

Tsk tsk... so closed-minded. I was recommended turnigy and zippy batts FROM racers, and there are plenty of racers on here that use them and I'm sure will chime in. Its cool though, you want to pay more for a label when underneath its pretty much the same and I'm paying less.[8D]

Your title itself says you're a noob to lipos yet you act like you know what batteries are better than others...
you are not cool because you use cheap batteries... You get what you pay for goes for everything I have ever purchased in my life so why should Lipo batteries be any different. I love my Maxamps batteries and if your jealous because you can't afford them that's your problem.

ThunderbirdJunkie 09-14-2011 04:02 AM

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

if you checked his link you would see they are the higher priced apparently better quality venom battery.
Better quality than other Venoms, perhaps.
Mind you, ThunderbirdJunkie trash talks not the Venom lipos, since that's what he primarily runs in his 2wd SCT and 2w buggy.

LOL, Tower sells the first one for MORE than MSRP
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZDW4&P=7

biker2006 09-14-2011 05:22 AM

i am actually using a thunder power changer/balancer :) i aint being closed minded i have just had luck with vemon. i never really tried other batteries. i am prefect new to the electric side of rc i was racing 2wd trucks for a few years. and just got into electic back in june. i am still a big noob at the batteries and changers. i know alot (not everything) about the motors and esc. just here for some opinions. its going to be a week or so before i go out and get batteries.

FahrtAutoRC 09-14-2011 06:28 AM

Tsk tsk... so closed-minded. I was recommended turnigy and zippy batts FROM racers, and there are plenty of racers on here that use them and I'm sure will chime in. I

HIIIII!!!! Lol

Yes Turnigy LiPos are great, and no worries guy, I race, I dont bash much
<br type="_moz" />

deviltrigger529 09-14-2011 07:55 AM

you are not cool because you use cheap batteries... You get what you pay for goes for everything I have ever purchased in my life so why should Lipo batteries be any different. I love my Maxamps batteries and if your jealous because you can't afford them that's your problem.
Haha, I could afford them if i wanted to, i just cant justify spending 5x what its whats its worth for a sticker, soyeah I'm jealous that you pay a ton more for your batteries than I do, that I can buy 4-5 batteries to your 1, yeah that sucks so bad. And 2 other people have already backed up what I said, your just too blond to realize that I guess. I would normally agree with you get what you pay for, but not with lipo batteries. I'm not cool cuz I use cheap batteries, I'm cool cuz I pay 1/5th less for THE SAME THING. You must not have seen the whole "maxamps out of their mind" thread.

Foxy 09-14-2011 08:29 AM

There's a reason maxamps packs are more expensive. Their quality control is much higher. You will occasionally get a dud from the Chinese ones, it's part of the game, but a dud is a dud, if the battery works and balances, you're golden. I have no doubt that maxamps packs are higher quality, however, whether they are worth the huge premium is up to the user.

deviltrigger529 09-14-2011 09:25 AM

Even if I get 1 dud out of 10 I'm still way ahead of coming close to paying what I would have paid for some maxamps packs. I'd rather order 10 turnigy lipos and get 2 duds than buy 5 maxamps and all be good.

ThunderbirdJunkie 09-14-2011 09:49 AM

Haha, I could afford them if i wanted to, i just cant justify spending 5x what its whats its worth for a sticker, soyeah I'm jealous that you pay a ton more for your batteries than I do, that I can buy 4-5 batteries to your 1, yeah that sucks so bad. And 2 other people have already backed up what I said, your just too blond to realize that I guess. I would normally agree with you get what you pay for, but not with lipo batteries. I'm not cool cuz I use cheap batteries, I'm cool cuz I pay 1/5th less for THE SAME THING. You must not have seen the whole ''maxamps out of their mind'' thread.
In all fairness, ThunderbirdJunkie CAN tell a difference between a Turnigy battery and a Thunder Power battery; those of you who are against higher end batteries because you've never tried them only because of price have absolutely no room to say somebody else is wrong with buying superior batteries.

ThunderbirdJunkie's Turnigys are usually good for about a month and a half of racing in 4w SCT and then they're dead. His Orions and Venoms, on the other hand, are now close to a year old, with no notable drop in performance.

That being said, he wouldn't pee on a MaxAmps battery to put the fire out.

TheKennyKiller 09-14-2011 02:20 PM

Ignorant fan of maxamps and proud [8D]

t9dragon 09-14-2011 03:20 PM

Ignorant fan of maxamps and proud [8D]

LMAO...................:D;):):);):D

overrev 09-14-2011 03:24 PM

Try the gen ace 40c 5000 from hobbypartz. They are just as good as my thunderpower 50c,but only cost 35.00 compared to 130.00.

biker2006 09-14-2011 05:04 PM

i would like batteries that are going to last not be died in a few weeks or racing. money is no problem here. i like vemon and maxamps batteries. never had a orion tho. i will have to look at them.

kistner 09-14-2011 05:26 PM

money is no problem here.
get one of each and report back :D;)

overrev 09-14-2011 07:47 PM

I use to run venom but they didn't not last very long. I also ran maxamp until they started rating the 6500 30c batteries to 60 and now 150c and their no better than a thunderpower 40c. So I went with the thunderpower 50c and I've had the gen ace 40c 5000 for three weeks now with about 25 cycles and I'm happy with them so far.

SmOkEeJay 09-15-2011 11:09 AM

I run an SPC 3s 25C 4700mah that I paid $33.95 for. It works great and charges/balances perfectly. SPC also has hard packs in case you want that for racing (ROAR approved). Of course, the hard packs are more expensive and a higher C rating. I have run my friend's Venom packs and did not see any performance difference, but I am still pretty inexperienced with LiPo's as the SPC is my first.

ryan_t888 09-15-2011 04:38 PM

I have no issues with Turnigy LiPo's. When racing boats I pushed them a lot harder than any car would. It would be a 2.5 minute run at 100% throttle for 100% of the time. That's well over 120A constant for the entire duration of the run. Many of the racers are comfortable with these packs and they work for at least a couple seasons.

Run and purchase what you are comfortable with.

Ryan