RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10810730-evader-coalition-%7E-t-e-c-part-2-a.html)

monsterbombs 11-05-2013 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by NoTraxxisRustler (Post 11654095)
Actually what you said was pretty well stated. If you are racing and blowing direction changes because you are wheelying, somebody is going to pass you. I've seen clips on YouTube where people are putting 5700KV motors on stadium trucks, and they are wheelying from a roll on at 50 MPH. And I'm thinking "Well that is great, but I'm not seeing anything I would want to race". I figure 32 - 35 KV is about all one really needs on a 2WD truck . . . .

They must have 3s and a big upward facing bumper to be lifting the wheels at 50mph
A strong headwind too.

DieHarder 11-05-2013 08:10 PM

Monsterbombs = Theoretical Guy :p

Rob: I'm currently running 35W in all four on my evader. I have a 4WD Tamiya Monster Truck, and that thing is fun to drive, and I've driven the neighbors full aluminum HPI Savage HP quite a bit, but I haven't yet experienced 4WD in a truggy. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Cumquat: Talking about overkill, I have an Evader that's WAY past overkill.....

NTR: 1/8 scale is nice, I don't think I really want to buy another 1/10 scale. I've decided that my next car/truck is going to be 1/8. I agree, the Vorza's are pretty sweet.

EXT2Rob 11-05-2013 09:24 PM

Is your "overkill" Evader the one with the Velineon? That's a honkin' motor for a 2wd, alright.
The Vorzas are pretty good? Oh, yeah, it was the Savage FLux that had issues, wasn't it? I've been hearing so much bad stuff about HPI over the last year, I just haven't looked at them much. Tho I guess they did put out a few solid platforms like the WR8. I really almost pulled the trigger on the DTX 1/8 buggy. but being larger than the Evader, it would pretty much require running double packs and take up more space in my small shop. But I can relate to the appeal for something larger than the Evader. Darn good as it is.

Which brings me to the size vs scale thing. The Hyper10 TT is supposedly a 1/10 scale, tho I read it's based on a 1/12, which makes more sense to me. But the Slash is supposedly 1/10 scale also and it's twice the size of the TT and almost that of the Evader. I dunno, I just find it.......odd. 8^/

DieHarder 11-07-2013 05:45 PM

Well, your comparing apples and oranges there. The Slash is an SCT, not a 2WD/4WD truggy. The slash has extra long bumpers, especially in the back. The rear bumper extends at least 3"-4" past the rear gearbox. So That makes it look a lot longer. I mean, the evader without a front bumper or a wheelie bar is only 15" long. You add a short bumper and the wheelie bar, and now it's 18.5" long. Short course is also a completely different class, so a full size SCT could be multiple feet longer than full size truggy. So, once it's reduced by 10, it comes out inches longer. I know what you mean. At first glance, I'm like "How's that possible?" But then I do the math, and I realize how it actually works out.

Yeah, the overkilled Evader IS the one with the Velineon. Crazy fast machine on 3S.... I Know, I tried it. And for sake of gentleness on the Evader, don't ever in the hell of Evader try it!

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11655766)
Is your "overkill" Evader the one with the Velineon? That's a honkin' motor for a 2wd, alright.....But I can relate to the appeal for something larger than the Evader. Darn good as it is.

Which brings me to the size vs scale thing. The Hyper10 TT is supposedly a 1/10 scale, tho I read it's based on a 1/12, which makes more sense to me. But the Slash is supposedly 1/10 scale also and it's twice the size of the TT and almost that of the Evader. I dunno, I just find it.......odd. 8^/

DieHarder 11-10-2013 03:07 PM

3 days later........ Echo!!!..... :eek:

EXT2Rob 11-10-2013 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DieHarder (Post 11659346)
3 days later........ Echo!!!..... :eek:

Ha ha. :) Yeah I guess your logic makes sense.

DieHarder 11-11-2013 05:34 AM

LOL. I don't know, it was just a thought that I had a while ago just like you.

So what did everyone do over the weekend? Dad and I did a leaf raking project with the church for people in need or weren't capable of doing it themselves. We did that Saturday. We also worked on the hot tub, as the GFCI is not functioning properly. We had you shut it down, and remove everyone incase of an electrical shock. :eek: Then on Sunday, dad and I watched football, Lions vs Bears. We didn't have time to watch the rest of it, so I really didn't see the end of the game. Not sure who won... NO ONE TELL ME EITHER!! LOL The reason we didn't see the rest of it, was because dad had to take his car in for a tire remounting as the rims have started to leak since 5 years ago, and the warranty states, they'll wire wheel the rims and remount them for free. So that works out...

EXT2Rob 11-11-2013 11:12 AM

Nice of you to volunteer to help local folks who need it. I went over to our renter's and had a beer with the guy. He's a PTSD-disabled vet, so I just wanted to thank him for his service and say Happy Veteran's Day. He's a nice enough guy, just really rattled. Can't hold his attention on anything. You kinda walk away after talking with the guy going, "PHWEEEEW!!" Then I decided to take a walk down into the creek "canyon" that borders our property, as someone told me they thought someone was growing weed down there. I don't mind anyone growing weed, I think it should be legal (YOU GO COLORADO!!), just don't be trespassing on MY property to do it!! I didn't see any signs of a grow. And it turns out the info I got was in error.

I've pretty much worn out the tires on my new Hyper TT. This is a race-bred truck, meant for indoor clay tracks, hence the OE fine-pinned tires and anti-sway bars (which I removed). Probably will put Gladiators on when I get the wheels I need (yellow Assoc.T4.1 dish w/hex-drive). EGbasher got his TT this week and is waiting for his Tower order of paint to come in. He's already opened up the diffs to put fluid in, and his new HobbyWing system arrived. So we should be racin' by Wednesday or Thursday! :cool:

DieHarder 11-14-2013 08:33 AM

How much property you own E2R?

Today is Thursday. Any racing go'in on?!? I'm searching for the last thing to order for my plow truck, (a motor) and then I have a couple of axles/dogbones to order, and then when it gets here, (Which should be by Monday) I just have to put it all together, and it'll be ready to rip! Can't wait!

EXT2Rob 11-15-2013 09:51 AM

About 10 acres. Lotsa elbow room, and wild critters. Deer, turkey, and coyote are common. We've even seen the occasional bobcat and red fox. We KNOW cougars are around, you just don't see them (until it's too late) and I found some bear scat over by the track a few weeks ago.

Had a race day yesterday, in fact! First race day with the new Hyper TTs. We had a freakin blast! We still love our Evaders, but this little 4wd Hyper TT is a blast an a half! We were having much more wheel-to-wheel racing than we usually do with the Evaders (because one of us is usually "catching up" after a small error that causes one to loose half a lap) so the racing was much more exciting. 4wd allows us to get on the power earlier out of a turn, and not spin out. And if you do get a little out of shape, it's a lot easier to recover and get back on line and on power. Much easier to drive faster.

Had a few really nasty tumbles, endos, and cartwheels (tho not as many, as these TTs are really low CG) and nothing broke nor bent. Certainly one cartwheel I had would've bent the crap out of Duratrax CV axles, but no damage at all to the TT. The build quality on these HoBao cars are an order of magnitude over the Evader. Like where they mount the servo...right out in the open, easy to adjust. You don't have to remove 6-8 screws, have your whole steering linkage fall apart, make your adjustment, put it all back together, only to find it STILL ain't right......AGH! I HATED working on the servo in the Evader! This one is dead simple.

Once the rains get here (IF they ever do) we'll break out the Evaders again. They're great fun to drive when track conditions are good, but on a dry track, 2wd is kinda frustrating. 4wd almost doesn't care whether the track is damp or dry.

DieHarder 11-15-2013 02:58 PM

Glad your having fun with the TT! I wouldn't have that problem of the CVs breaking if I cartwheeled, cause I run dogbones, and the springs on outdrives and axles would just compress, preventing a breakage. Ha! LOL I never have any trouble with the servo assembly. It always goes together fine for me. If you get the main pins and the little spacers together right, then close the lid, and kinda wiggle it to make sure it's all together. Then tighten the screws down and your set. What's everyone doing this weekend?

EXT2Rob 11-16-2013 06:37 AM

Yeah we gave up on the DTX CV axles. Too expensive and would get bent in a bad cartwheel. Dogbones work just fine. Wish the stub axles were cheaper than $10/pr. tho.

Going to the LHS today. The wheels recommended by The Guy for my Hyper TT turned out to be the wrong offset (or wheel depth, whatever you wanna call it). Didn't discover that until after I got all four tires glued up, of course. *face-palm* Yes, I should have test-fit the wheels before I glued 'em up, but this illustrates the problem we all have when it comes to buying aftermarket wheels for our cars: NO ONE PUTS THE BLOODY OFFSET ON THE BLOODY PACKAGE LABEL!! Forget about shopping for wheels online. Impossible, because no one gives you wheel dimensions other than diameter. Go to the LHS, and you have to peer thru the packages to try to determine if a wheel's offset/depth is the same as what your trying to match it to. And when 5mm can make or break ya, it's damn near impossible. If only they would print that info on the label........ But, the Guy at the LHS said, "Bring yer car and wheels in tomorrow, and I'll bring in my box of hex adapters. They come in various thicknesses, so we can find a set that will give you the proper offset." At least he's "makin' it right" for me.

DieHarder 11-18-2013 12:13 PM

I replaced the CVDs in my Evader with dogbones before I tried 3S. I had brand new wheel axles, and they snapped first in like the first 5 minutes on 3S. Just shows how the axles actually end up giving before the mighty dogbones do.

I don't need to use any offset on any of my vehicles. Either I just buy stock rims, or I get the 0 offset ones. I saw your thread on that topic of putting the offsets on the packages. Sounds like a good idea. I didn't post in your thread because I feel that even if I did, I'm one itty bitty person out of a few that are aware of your petition, and it's going to be pretty hard to get that around to most of the other RCers out there. I think you need a better plan for getting the word out. Maybe if you post that petition in every forum on RCU, URC, RC Groups, etc. Just my $0.02.

EXT2Rob 11-18-2013 07:33 PM

Honestly, some confusion may arise from my use of the word "offset" in a different way than is used in 1:1 cars. (Although, the on-road RC guys who race also have "traditional" offset wheel choices.) My definition specifies the inner depth of a given wheel, from the lip of the in-board rim to the hub face. It would be a useful spec to have when shopping for aftermarket wheels for our cars. Ever want to try a Traxxas Rustler or RPM wheel? Kinda hard if you don't know a couple basic dimensions: Wheel diameter (and whether it's symetrical) and how deep the hub face is inside the wheel (what I called the offset). The guy from RPM said, "Well, if we didn't have to try to put all the cars that a wheel fits on the label, we could list the specs, but people shop by what fits their car." True, BUT if the noobie who bought that Traxxas Whatever knew those two basic dimensions (and anyone who gets into RC is going to learn that pretty quickly) he could just as easily choose an aftermarket wheel based on specs, which would be more easily cross-referenced and compared to other brands' wheels. Sure, your car's manuf wants you to buy OEM parts. Fine. But if the aftermarket guys especially want to sell more products to people who DO shop for aftermarket products, they need to provide the specs of their products, right out front and easily found, whether on the package or on the website.

NoTraxxisRustler 11-25-2013 07:59 PM

I agree with you on the wheel labeling or lack thereof. It is really lame. I am amazed every time I go into LHS to buy wheels.

Sounds like that Hyper is doing pretty well for you though . . . . . have you given up on your Evader? Everytime I decide to give up on mine, I go out and run it. It is a fun truck. Does circles around my kid's Slash, who begrudgingly admits that it is clunky.

I did just spend money on Proline Shocks, TBone bumpers and that blingy motorplate that DTX sells. The shocks are really nice. I probably would not get what I just spent on if on Fleabay.

Did you say you running your 35A ESC / Motor combo on Hyper??

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11665806)
Honestly, some confusion may arise from my use of the word "offset" in a different way than is used in 1:1 cars. (Although, the on-road RC guys who race also have "traditional" offset wheel choices.) My definition specifies the inner depth of a given wheel, from the lip of the in-board rim to the hub face. It would be a useful spec to have when shopping for aftermarket wheels for our cars. Ever want to try a Traxxas Rustler or RPM wheel? Kinda hard if you don't know a couple basic dimensions: Wheel diameter (and whether it's symetrical) and how deep the hub face is inside the wheel (what I called the offset). The guy from RPM said, "Well, if we didn't have to try to put all the cars that a wheel fits on the label, we could list the specs, but people shop by what fits their car." True, BUT if the noobie who bought that Traxxas Whatever knew those two basic dimensions (and anyone who gets into RC is going to learn that pretty quickly) he could just as easily choose an aftermarket wheel based on specs, which would be more easily cross-referenced and compared to other brands' wheels. Sure, your car's manuf wants you to buy OEM parts. Fine. But if the aftermarket guys especially want to sell more products to people who DO shop for aftermarket products, they need to provide the specs of their products, right out front and easily found, whether on the package or on the website.

EXT2Rob 11-25-2013 08:43 PM

YEAH! Still running the EZrun 35A 4300kv. In the Hyper TT. Shhhh......don't tell EGbasher, but I just got in my parts order from Taiwan with the 13T pinion. Going to surprise him next race day. :cool: Near as I could tell, before the power wire came loose from the Traxxas connector and ended my session, the motor STILL did not heat up. And now I've got the top speed I want. Juuust shy of "bad things gonna happen". ;^)

Naw, haven't given up on the good ol' Evaders. Well, the "wife's" electronics are now in the Hyper. Getting a faster servo in the mail tomorrow, so I could put the HiTec back in the Evader. The SubieVader is still ready to run! And run she does. When the damper track conditions get here, we'll probably break out the Evaders for some 2wd action.....but the 4wd Hypers allow us to run consistent laps easier and faster that also allows for lap after lap of wheel to wheel racing that we could only manage for brief periods of time with the Evaders, because invariably one of us would make a slight mistake (or complete F' up;) and loose half a lap down or more in a blink. With the Hypers, we just keep racing! Over-corrections are easier to catch and go, and, well, you just don't screw up as much. We're totally impressed with them. Still love the Evaders. We got them to the Pinnacle, in our minds, of what the car can be made to be in terms of speed and durability and handling off road bashing/racing. Thanks to some up-dated parts from Duratrax, and some well chosen upgrades in the pins used in the car, it's a great 2wd car that we've had a BLAST learning to drive for the last three years. But I was getting a real hankering to explore the 4wd platform, particularly the truggy 3-diff variety, and I'm glad Echthelion suggested I look at the Hyper TT (despite it being discontinued). Its cousin the Hyper SC short course shares 85% (my guess) of its parts and is still in production. I've just gotten a few items for the TT via the web, no prob. So far, so good. And nothing leaks!! I can't believe the shocks don't leak. The engineering on this truggy is leaps and bounds beyond the venerable Evader, I'm afraid. Bless its heart.

DieHarder 11-28-2013 07:44 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Evader Enthusiasts!

hugemika79 11-29-2013 02:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After finding out the evader ext 2.4 body fits my old st I had to get one. The st body is still in good nick but it is just sooo....... PURPLE!!!:( I hated running the truck with that body. I ordered the new body from Phils Hobby Shop on ebay. Took 2 weeks to get to me but it was worth the wait. The colors look great it has more attitude now. I have been running my vader on traxxas 8.4v stick packs and is heaps of fun. The little extra voltage is super. This thread has great advice for all evaders and RC. It has been fun reading. I am now working on my old Tamiya Sand Viper. I put a 11.5t 45amp system in it. It goes like stink. Needs a ball diff though. Here are pics of the new body. Thanks for reading. Happy Thanksgiving.[ATTACH]1943259[/IMG]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1943260

DieHarder 11-29-2013 07:21 AM

Looking good! Nice body. I have the Evader Brushless Black version body on my truck, and them I'm running Badlands 5" tall tires. It's a beastly thing...

egbasher 11-30-2013 12:02 PM

Sorry Rob, now I know. Just because I haven't visited this forum for awhile doesn't mean you can tell secrets here! :cool:

NTR: As Rob said, we'll never give up on the evaders. They're too much fun. Besides, they are a different driving experience than a 4WD. It takes much more skill to turn a fast lap in the evader than it does in the TT, especially when the track is dry. When it's damp (high traction) the TT's advantage disappears to a great degree.

I agree about the offset labelling. It's almost as if the manufactures think we are too stupid to understand specs. I think most people in this hobby are pretty sharp and like to have specs available. Come on. Look at motors and ESC's. They are full of numbers that we love to pour over to make our purchasing decisions.

Shhhh......don't tell EGbasher, but I just got in my parts order from Taiwan with the 13T pinion.

egbasher 11-30-2013 12:38 PM

Hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving. Evidently EXT2Rob didn't. He broke a suspension arm on his new TT. Bummer. Hope you get it fixed soon my friend I'm itchin' for another race day, even with your 13 tooth pinion!

DieHarder 12-04-2013 05:18 AM

Well, my Evader is in for the winter. I've stolen the ESC for this plow truck project, so I couldn't/can't run it. Snow is gonna be here in 2 days, and I plan to keep the plow truck running through winter, then switched back ESCs and purchasing a nice one for the plow truck over the summer. I might also use it as a crawler in the non-winter months.

rclugnut10 12-04-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by DieHarder (Post 11676859)
Well, my Evader is in for the winter. I've stolen the ESC for this plow truck project, so I couldn't/can't run it. Snow is gonna be here in 2 days, and I plan to keep the plow truck running through winter, then switched back ESCs and purchasing a nice one for the plow truck over the summer. I might also use it as a crawler in the non-winter months.

It seems that most of my driving is done in the snow in the past few years with school and work. We've had snow for 2 or 3 weeks now I'm planning on dragging a friend out to a local beach thats closed for the season monday which should be fun...

I finally got all my evaders running again, I just need to power them up re-program. I'll probally grab some pic's monday so i'll post those up.

Does anybody else run flysky radio's? I've been having a lot of issues with the rx's being sensitive to water... May invest in some rx boxes...

DieHarder 12-04-2013 08:31 AM

Yeah, I run the GT3B radio. Nice unit. I'm using the only receiver that came with it on the plow truck. I plan on buying another for the Evader for $8 as it's still running to stock Evader ST radio setup. From way back then, yo!

rclugnut10 12-04-2013 08:39 AM

Awesome i have the orginial GT3 and it's pretty solid, i also have a GT-2 just to use for friends and on VRC. My issues is they'll cut out if they get wet but work fine after they get some time to dry which is nice... I have 5 or 6 rx's right now for all my cars it's super nice not having to juggle them and crystals and such.