RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Traxxas=crappy support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10891700-traxxas%3Dcrappy-support.html)

dwilt72 01-04-2012 02:15 PM

Traxxas=crappy support

I'm really irritated with Traxxas. I bought a brand new Slash 4x4 in early October. This past weekend, it developed an issue with the ESC powering itself off. When you power it up, it seems to be fine. If I hold it off the ground I can go full throttle, with no problem. However, if I sit on the ground and hits even the smallest bump, it's like someone powered the ESC off. So my thought is, it's only 90 days old, it's under warranty. WRONG! The warranty on these is only 30 days! I'm not sure what similar manufacturers have, but that's bull to only warranty the electronics for 30 days! So now, I'm stuck with taking it to the headquarters, putting it in line with all the other trucks and wait until they can diagnose it and then pay them to fix it, unless someone else has run across this and has an idea.

There seems to be a real issue with the ESC's on these trucks. My son-in-law bought a used Slash 4x4 and his button sticks. So, out of the 5 people that I know that have Slash 4x4's, two of them have ESC issues. If you only have a 30 day warranty, at least make a decent product that will last a while.

Putting my soapbox away now.......

JRockZ 01-04-2012 02:39 PM

RE: Traxxas=crappy support

ORIGINAL: dwilt72

I'm really irritated with Traxxas. I bought a brand new Slash 4x4 in early October. This past weekend, it developed an issue with the ESC powering itself off. When you power it up, it seems to be fine. If I hold it off the ground I can go full throttle, with no problem. However, if I sit on the ground and hits even the smallest bump, it's like someone powered the ESC off. So my thought is, it's only 90 days old, it's under warranty. WRONG! The warranty on these is only 30 days! I'm not sure what similar manufacturers have, but that's bull to only warranty the electronics for 30 days! So now, I'm stuck with taking it to the headquarters, putting it in line with all the other trucks and wait until they can diagnose it and then pay them to fix it, unless someone else has run across this and has an idea.

There seems to be a real issue with the ESC's on these trucks. My son-in-law bought a used Slash 4x4 and his button sticks. So, out of the 5 people that I know that have Slash 4x4's, two of them have ESC issues. If you only have a 30 day warranty, at least make a decent product that will last a while.

I read this else where and this is what i remember:
First off do NOT get upset with Traxxas support or try dealing with them on the phone, simply pack up your ESC along with a copy of your receipt showing you own it no matter how old, send it in with a note explaining your not sure what wrong but its not working properly under power. Put your phone number on there and hope for the best of it. What i read said that traxxas will get your esc and tell you its out of warranty but will also say well we will take care of it for you anyhow this one time,, ok im not as good at wording this as whoever originally wrote it but apparently this person spoke from experience in sending back a few esc's all out of warranty and all replaced free of charge.
good luck!!

JRockZ 01-04-2012 02:43 PM

Oh also being in the DFW metroplex myself do not try going to traxxas they will not help you there the guy at my LHS tried and he's a dealer as well as he's very good at getting his way in most cases, they refused to help because the parts are manufactured elsewhere or something like that but i do remember him being pist because he drove 45 mins to get there only to get rejected.. hmm maybe he was ejected too i dunno  lol but im sure with your upset attitude you would be ejected and the plano police would be there in a min!!  ha!!  Good luck man!!.

pyromatic177 01-04-2012 02:49 PM

Yeah getting upset never helps. i'm sure traxxas will solve the prob http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

chase1 01-04-2012 04:12 PM

when you write them try not to bad mouth them or vent in the letter. they dont like that. you get more bees with honey, and some smoke blowing and such.</p>

cumminspower5.9 01-04-2012 04:30 PM

My esc used to do that on my bandit vxl. i think it was thermal shutdown mode? idk it made me mad too, but i traded it after it didnt do it for a while. traxxas should fix it. just make sure you register the slash too asap.

dwilt72 01-04-2012 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

My esc used to do that on my bandit vxl. i think it was thermal shutdown mode? idk it made me mad too, but i traded it after it didnt do it for a while. traxxas should fix it. just make sure you register the slash too asap.
I did register it, but not until earlier this week. I'm bad about not registering when I buy stuff. From what I'm hearing, maybe they will make it right. Another irritation.....they put the S/N underneath the motor so you have to pull the motor loose to get the S/N. Crazy! Guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

pyromatic177 01-04-2012 05:07 PM

That's always the best to do

samguan 01-04-2012 05:34 PM

what I find with these big RC companies is that you have to talk to them nicely and explain things to them. They will help you out most of the time.

pyromatic177 01-04-2012 05:41 PM

yup

crazycd1 01-04-2012 06:58 PM

Every time I ever had problems with something Traxxas I sent them a nice email explaining things and even included pics for broken parts. I always got a nice reply telling me they were sending replacements free of charge. Never even asked me to send in the broken parts.

dwilt72 01-04-2012 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: crazycd1

Every time I ever had problems with something Traxxas I sent them a nice email explaining things and even included pics for broken parts. I always got a nice reply telling me they were sending replacements free of charge. Never even asked me to send in the broken parts.
That might work if I was 100% sure of the problem. Pretty sure it's the ESC but completely sure.

crazycd1 01-04-2012 07:13 PM

By your description I would think it is the ESC, sounds like a loose connection inside. What batteries you running? I know there was some out there with a faulty low voltage detection, if its enabled try turning it off and see if the problem goes away. I bet if you did send it in they would replace it and be done with it, but not positive. You could check the traxxas forums, I know lots of people have had esc problems with them.

TheKennyKiller 01-04-2012 08:55 PM

I have had this 30 day electronic warranty bite me... My servo went bad 2 weeks after I got my merv and I was informed that because it took 3 weeks to get here from America that it was out of warranty. Apparently time spent in transit for international orders is part of the warranty period, the guy I was emailing back and forth even took a shot at me saying "I bet you save a lot of money importing your rc cars". Up until that point I was nothing but nice to him, at the time this was the only rc I had ever imported and it was only rc I had since a 3 year hiatus from the hobby. Now I have 4 Traxxas trucks (one of them I got just yesterday) but I have decided that none of them have any warranty so I just cross my fingers and hope nothing breaks that isn't my fault, if it does I fix it myself.

What kind of batteries are you running? I ask because I have 4 venom batteries that all cut out if I hit a bump, the connection on the venom batts are horrible.

dwilt72 01-04-2012 09:49 PM

I have two brands of batteries and it does it on both. The first battery was a Venom. The other is a Nanotech.

lez1troubles 01-04-2012 11:03 PM

Its NOT Traxxas its TRASH-ASS.

TheKennyKiller 01-04-2012 11:54 PM

I have two brands of batteries and it does it on both. The first battery was a Venom. The other is a Nanotech.
do either of them have a genuine traxxas connector? I know the venom batts have that crappy universal plug on them, that plug has been the source of my problems.

acexxxoasis 01-05-2012 01:41 AM

or its a mass built product that is not that great do yourself a favor and get a decent esc...

dwilt72 01-05-2012 06:57 AM

do either of them have a genuine traxxas connector? I know the venom batts have that crappy universal plug on them, that plug has been the source of my problems.
[/quote]

Are you talking about the removable cable that plugs into the top of the battery? My batteries do have those. The removable cables have Traxxas connectors on them. I have tried two different batteries and two different cables.

t9dragon 01-05-2012 08:23 AM

Just dump the Traxxas VXL they are known to be crappy and get a MMP.

dwilt72 01-05-2012 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

After spending almost $400 on THIS one, I would like to get IT to work! Telling me to get rid of what I bought is not exactly helping. I'm not into this to be a sponsored racer, etc, just wanting to have a little fun.

dwilt72 01-05-2012 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Kenny, good point. I'm going to get those cables out of the question before I take it to Traxxas. Did not think about that as being part of the issue. That is the quickest and easiest thing to try. If it works, then I've saved myself a trip to Traxxas and downtime of not having the truck. Thanks!

t9dragon 01-05-2012 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

After spending almost $400 on THIS one, I would like to get IT to work! Telling me to get rid of what I bought is not exactly helping. I'm not into this to be a sponsored racer, etc, just wanting to have a little fun.
I am telling you from expirence. My son and I each had the 4wd Slash and had all sorts of issues with the VXL and once I replaced it with the MM no more problems. I also had issues with the VXL that was in the Traxxas mini's..

USMC 0802 01-05-2012 09:00 AM

Agreed, Venom connectors have been problematic for me.  Once I snipped them and put Traxxas connectors on my kids' 1/16s they were fine.

So the lesson learned is: give the company a chance to fix the issue before taking a big greasy dump on them...

Foxy 01-05-2012 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: USMC 0802

So the lesson learned is: give the company a chance to fix the issue before taking a big greasy dump on them...

Not really. I thought the OP was complaining about the ridiculously short warranty period given the dubious quality of the product? I think that's a valid complaint.