RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Battery connectors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10913609-battery-connectors.html)

yakfish 01-17-2012 10:27 AM

Battery connectors

I just recieved a Mamba Monster 2200 Combo used for my e-converted Losi 8ight 2.0 buggy. This is going to be an extreem high speed car and I need to be able to flow as much current as possible. The ESC already has Traxxas connectors installed but are Deans connectors better? Will Deans allow for a higher flow of current than the Traxxas? I still need to purchase batteries for the buggy so I will need to install connector on them anyways. If the traxxas connectors are fine I will just use them and leave the ESC connectors alone but if there is any advantage to using Deans instead I will go ahead and change them.
Thanks

FahrtAutoRC 01-17-2012 11:56 AM

RE: Battery connectors

If you are not *****g out your connectors capacity then it will work just fine. "better" connectors simply have a higher rating, but the actual contact area and materials are very similar. For a large 8th scale set up I would suggest bullet connectors, just don't mix up your positive and negative!

proanti1 01-17-2012 12:56 PM

Traxxas connectors are a little crappier than Deans, but I don't think anyone has actually melted them.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-17-2012 12:58 PM

have the traxxas connectors on my MM 2200kv combo that is in my Jammin X1 Can't say they ever melted or warped.

dragnse7en 01-17-2012 01:27 PM

My cousin likes to use the traxxas connectors. They seem to be as good as the WS deans, and they're a bit easier to unplug.

Link119 01-17-2012 01:30 PM

Either are fine.

yakfish 01-17-2012 02:42 PM

So one really isn't better thn the other? I am not concerned about melting or warping but their ability to carry the current the the motor needs.
Thanks

SyCo_VeNoM 01-17-2012 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

So one really isn't better thn the other? I am not concerned about melting or warping but their ability to carry the current the the motor needs.
Thanks
Well thing is if they can't carry the current the motor is pulling they would warp, and melt. So yes you should be concerned about that ;)

Snowride 01-17-2012 03:35 PM

IMHO the EC5 is the best there is. I have converted all my toys to this. Can take massive amps and are a breeze to put together/take apart. Impossible to short out unless you stick a screw driver in them on purpose. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9194

Brainanator 01-17-2012 03:39 PM

copy/paste of what I said in the last thread asking this question:

I use traxxas, you have to put them together correctly to get them to work well. I've used many other people's traxxas connectors and they were super stiff, they didn't install them correctly. I've also heard stories of the tabs popping out when connecting a battery, again, improper installation. I've even seen some come straight from traxxas not put on correctly, no surprise there really. Of course I've also seen many pictures here on the forums of connectors that were obviously not put together correctly. They work really well, with a secure hold, but easily removable, IF you work to get them assembled correctly. Deans are probably easier to put on, I like EC3/5s too. I've even become partial to hobbyking's XT60s. I just started out with traxxas, so that's probably what I'll stick with from now on.

edit: Here is the thread in case you want to look through it for more opinions:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

SyCo_VeNoM 01-17-2012 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

copy/paste of what I said in the last thread asking this question:

I use traxxas, you have to put them together correctly to get them to work well. I've used many other people's traxxas connectors and they were super stiff, they didn't install them correctly. I've also heard stories of the tabs popping out when connecting a battery, again, improper installation. I've even seen some come straight from traxxas not put on correctly, no surprise there really. Of course I've also seen many pictures here on the forums of connectors that were obviously not put together correctly. They work really well, with a secure hold, but easily removable, IF you work to get them assembled correctly. Deans are probably easier to put on, I like EC3/5s too. I've even become partial to hobbyking's XT60s. I just started out with traxxas, so that's probably what I'll stick with from now on.

edit: Here is the thread in case you want to look through it for more opinions:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
pretty much same got traxxas cause the 1st ESC I got that wasn't tamiya was a XL-5 with traxxas connectors on it.

I do like the EC5's a lil more, but I'd have to buy so many to convert everything over its not really funny(28 or so males, and 13 females).

proanti1 01-17-2012 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Thanks
I would say that Deans are better. They are built A LOT better, and very easy to solder. With the Traxxas plugs, you have to solder on the little bars, then push them into the plugs (like with a Tamiya plug), it can sometimes be a royal pain in the ass. The little tabs come loose after a while too. With deans, all you have to do is solder them on. They even include the shrink tubing. Just comparing them, you can clearly see the difference in quality. The bars on the Deans plugs are like 60 gauge, and gold plated.

kistner 01-17-2012 06:02 PM

I use deans but if I were starting over I would probably go ec3/5. My kid just got an airplane with those and they are even easier to solder up than deans are.

Teknic 01-18-2012 01:13 PM

I currently use deans and personally I think they are one of the harder plugs to solder. I had used Traxxas connectors in the past and found them pretty easy to solder up. Next time I go through and redo my stuff I'll either being going straight bullets or checking out the EC5's.

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-18-2012 08:58 PM

ThunderbirdJunkie has been using Deans for 15ish+ years. He's gotten pretty used to soldering them and finds them easy. Maybe he does it different from everybody else?

Traxxas plugs aren't hard once you realize that you have to keep solder behind the line and push the tab in with a screwdriver, and EC3s/5s are cake.

xerxes 01-18-2012 09:14 PM

use ec5. more solid connection den any deans plug on earf. not only is it a press fit bullet, but da plug case creats a sort of vaccuum lock. xerxes hates deans conecters. especialy on off road vehikles

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-18-2012 09:15 PM

What problems do you have out of Deans, xerxes?

xerxes 01-18-2012 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

What problems do you have out of Deans, xerxes?
well tbf, hard 2 solder. xerxes has had da deans bars start 2 wiggle inda red bloks b4 da soldr startd 2 melt.

deans also tends 2 unplug itself wen offroading. new or used. genuine or nok off. lawn darts disconect deans 24/7
& dats reel talk yo.

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-18-2012 10:36 PM

ThunderbirdJunkie has only had Deans plugs' terminals wiggle in the nylon if he used too little heat to solder them. Too little heat means you're holding it to the plug too long and that melts the nylon.

Never had a Deans plug come undone mid-run, though, ever.

rclugnut10 01-18-2012 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie has only had Deans plugs' terminals wiggle in the nylon if he used too little heat to solder them. Too little heat means you're holding it to the plug too long and that melts the nylon.

Never had a Deans plug come undone mid-run, though, ever.
I've had a deans unplug on me once.... i nailed a tree with my savage at WOT... i wasn't to bummed about it at all.. considering there was a TON of force behind that hit.... thats the only time its happeneds and as far as soldering them, yeah if you use a crappy iron then they'll melt, but if you throw them in a pair of vice grips or have a table vice or something, and use that to hold them and have a decent iron they're a breeze to solder....

the lug

ElectricGuy007 01-19-2012 11:52 PM

Dean connectors are the most common and they last forever.