RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   going short course or stadium truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11018322-going-short-course-stadium-truck.html)

demon3200 03-28-2012 05:31 AM

going short course or stadium truck

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...d-58f5207c.jpghey all,

I'm weighing the idea of either going short course with something like a Losi TENSCTE, or going stadium truck, with something like a kyosho rb-5 or a associated t4.1.
Both are around the same popularity; not much difference there, I think. I'm using a MMP with a 3800 motor in the Losi truck, and a Tekin RSPro in the associated or the kyosho.
For this track, which one would give me more pleasure to drive?

Thanks! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

dragnse7en 03-28-2012 06:23 AM

RE: going short course or stadium truck

Think of it this way - do you want to race open-wheel, or fendered-wheel offroad?

Open-wheel racing for off-road would be for the stadium trucks, and fender wheeled would be the SCT class in this case.

demon3200 03-28-2012 07:31 AM

That''s not the question; what the question is is what would be more FUN? This is going to be my main deciding factor when choosing between a SC or a Stadium Truck.

cumquat 03-28-2012 08:07 AM

that's purely personal preference. you are comparing to classes that have very little to do with each other. 2wd is fun and racing relies more on driver skill than setup but off the track, 4wd is more capable. between th two, i would take a t4.1 with the gear diff IF it will stay on the track but if you plan to bash at home i'd go 4wd just for the places 2wd cant get to.

a simple break-down, 2wd is more challenging to drive well because they are very tail happy. you use the throttle as much as the wheel for steering. with 4wd, you have more traction, making it easier to drive and you can go more places but it ca get a bit boring after a while.

this is just my take, you may think differently.

Eman77 03-28-2012 11:34 AM

Cumquat, I think you're assuming SC = 4WD, and ST = 2WD. There are still some 2WD SCs. :)

For the OP, if it's just an issue of "which is more fun", I agree with cumquat that it still comes down to personal preference. I've heard folks love SC racing since you rub fenders and all that. I've heard folks HATE SC racing for that very reason, claiming that hacks and bump you out with no repercussions, and the skill is taken out of the driving.

cumquat 03-28-2012 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Cumquat, I think you're assuming SC = 4WD, and ST = 2WD. There are still some 2WD SCs. :)

For the OP, if it's just an issue of ''which is more fun'', I agree with cumquat that it still comes down to personal preference. I've heard folks love SC racing since you rub fenders and all that. I've heard folks HATE SC racing for that very reason, claiming that hacks and bump you out with no repercussions, and the skill is taken out of the driving.
i'm aware, but he mentioned the TEN SCTE which is 4wd.

Eman77 03-28-2012 01:09 PM

Ah, my bad.

In that case, I offer this Days of Thunder quote:
"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'. "

demon3200 03-28-2012 01:13 PM

<div style="text-align: justify;">Probably will go for the Stadium Truck, cause I like the idea a lot!

But anyway, why would you choose the T4.1 over the RT5? Isn't the kyosho supposed to be better, like it is in the SC version?</div>

cumquat 03-28-2012 01:33 PM

there is a gear diff option for the t4 but there isnt one for the kyosho. i hate ball diffs.

demon3200 03-28-2012 09:18 PM

Wouldn't you rather have the superb shocks? The stronger plastic parts? The lighter weight?

Why would you want something like that, and why is it such a big deal?

ThunderbirdJunkie 03-28-2012 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

there is a gear diff option for the t4 but there isnt one for the kyosho. i hate ball diffs.
There is indeed a gear diff option for the Kyosho.

ThunderbirdJunkie hates gear diffs. They allow too much wheelspin on corner exits and too much unloading of a wheel in fast rough sections.

People that don't race should refrain from offering racing advice.

cumquat 03-29-2012 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie hates gear diffs. They allow too much wheelspin on corner exits and too much unloading of a wheel in fast rough sections.

huh, didnt know that.
the t4 diff is sealed so you can tune it.
true, i havent raced. that doesnt change that a lot of people will agree that gear diffs are far less temperamental and it has been proven that gear diffs can take more abuse.

cumquat 03-29-2012 07:02 AM

ORIGINAL: demon3200

Wouldn't you rather have the superb shocks? The stronger plastic parts? The lighter weight?

Why would you want something like that, and why is it such a big deal?

shocks are pretty much universal, you can put the kyosho shock on the t4. the parts may be stronger and lighter but when you do break a part, how long will you have to wait to get that part? no one around here stock kyosho. and while no one really stock associated either, i can order from tower and get the parts here really quick.
i simply dont like ball diffs. i never have.

demon3200 03-29-2012 07:08 AM

We get parts here twice a week. No difference in the amount of time it takes.

cumquat 03-29-2012 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: demon3200

We get parts here twice a week. No difference in the amount of time it takes.
it's your decision, you asked what I would get, and i told you. you want the kyosho, get the kyosho. you want the losi, get the losi. you want a traxxas... good luck.

Eman77 03-29-2012 07:24 AM

Does your hate for gear diffs apply to 1/8 as well? Obviously since I don't race, I can't speak to how they differ on the track. I can speak to what I like for bashing though, and gear diffs are nice since it takes user-error out of the equation. I have had success with ball diffs too though, so it's not like their fragile. But that's a different discussion.

But since it seems that 1/8 is exclusively gear diffs, do your comments regarding wheelspin on corner exits apply there too?

Scottgir 03-29-2012 08:32 AM

Does your hate for gear diffs apply to 1/8 as well? Obviously since I don't race, I can't speak to how they differ on the track. I can speak to what I like for bashing though, and gear diffs are nice since it takes user-error out of the equation. I have had success with ball diffs too though, so it's not like their fragile. But that's a different discussion.

But since it seems that 1/8 is exclusively gear diffs, do your comments regarding wheelspin on corner exits apply there too?
I won't speak for TBJ but 1. 1/8th off road is almost exclusively 4WD which changes the equation. You're also working with a center diff which also changes the equation of the differences between gear and ball diffs. There's no comparison of a gear diff driveline in an 1/8th scale and a 2wd 1/10th gear diff.

Lets not turn this thread into a gear diff vs ball diff fight. My PERSONAL OPINION is that for 2wd 1/10th scale, ball diff is better for racing (for the issues that TBJ stated, and frankly once you have a ball diff built right, there's less maintenance for me PERSONALLY....YMMV).

To the OP. Go to the track and see if a couple guys will let you take their trucks for a spin or two. Drive both and see which you have more fun with. I personally like 2wd buggy the most but I only get to race SCT now because it's all that runs at my local track. You can tell the difference between the guys who grew up racing open wheel and the newer guys who only have run SCT. The guy who tries to take you on the inside by bouncing off the side of your truck sending you into the wall while he keeps going.....that would be someone who never raced open wheel before.

Eman77 03-29-2012 09:09 AM

Point taken on the center diff in the truggy and 4WD. Makes sense!

ThunderbirdJunkie 03-29-2012 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Scottgir

I won't speak for TBJ but 1. 1/8th off road is almost exclusively 4WD which changes the equation. You're also working with a center diff which also changes the equation of the differences between gear and ball diffs. There's no comparison of a gear diff driveline in an 1/8th scale and a 2wd 1/10th gear diff.

Lets not turn this thread into a gear diff vs ball diff fight. My PERSONAL OPINION is that for 2wd 1/10th scale, ball diff is better for racing (for the issues that TBJ stated, and frankly once you have a ball diff built right, there's less maintenance for me PERSONALLY....YMMV).

To the OP. Go to the track and see if a couple guys will let you take their trucks for a spin or two. Drive both and see which you have more fun with. I personally like 2wd buggy the most but I only get to race SCT now because it's all that runs at my local track. You can tell the difference between the guys who grew up racing open wheel and the newer guys who only have run SCT. The guy who tries to take you on the inside by bouncing off the side of your truck sending you into the wall while he keeps going.....that would be someone who never raced open wheel before.
Scottgir's post was almost verbatim what ThunderbirdJunkie was going to say.

Going from a gear diff in the XXX-SCT to a ball diff (with no other changes) made the truck far easier to drive. They can be touchy to learn how to set up, but there are so many good tutorials out there nowadays that if you can't make a ball diff last, it's you. Or you have a 22/22T[&:]

Any 4wd class ThunderbirdJunkie is fine with a gear diff, but for 2w 1/10, ball diff is the only way to fly ITBJHO. Got a lot more race days out of a ball diff in the B4.1FT than he ever got out of his SC10's gear diff, too.

Also, OP, if your local track has a strong 2w buggy class, get into that. It will teach you how to drive.