RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   HPI 1/5 Flux SCT??? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11026462-hpi-1-5-flux-sct.html)

phmaximus 05-20-2012 02:39 PM

RE: HPI 1/5 Flux SCT???

In the video t doesn't look under powered....

SyCo_VeNoM 05-20-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I like that TCS conversion too. Will that make it true 1/5 scale? Meaning, will the 5SC bodies fit over the track width and wheelbase correctly? It seems that even after a conversion it would still be narrow and require the wide axle kit.
from what I saw they fit

The 1/5th scale nitro savage(never released in NA) used the same arms, and parts as the XL(I was planning on trying to find the TVP set for my X) I doubt this one uses any newly designed parts out of the TVP's.

BKoz559 05-20-2012 08:40 PM

No it doesn't look underpowered and HPI surely knows what they're doing when they design their products. It just seems like such a big load for the MMP ESC and the 2200KV motor. Obviously it works.

How much does the new truck weigh? Aren't Losi 5's over 30lbs? I guess a gasoline engine is just that much heavier compared to 2 LiPo packs an ESC and motor.

Foxy 05-20-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

HPI surely knows what they're doing when they design their products.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good one. :)

phmaximus 05-21-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Quote:

HPI surely knows what they're doing when they design their products.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good one. :)
If I wasn't smarter I would say that's brand bashing.....

I think this truck is well thought out. But only time will tell.

How cool are the glued tyres compared to the gassers bead locks...

Foxy 05-21-2012 05:33 AM

Not brand bashing as much as 'HPI's recent history' bashing. Their recent products have been bad, I'm sorry to say, from the Trophy series to the Mini Recon, to the Flux XS, just a long list of fails in recent history. HPI cars used to be well known for running as they are out of the box for years and years. Now it seems you have to spend (big) on them if you want the performance and durability that other brands (and not premium brands either, I'm talking about OFNA, Thunder Tiger and Traxxas for examples) take for granted.

I hope this thing bucks the trend, but I don't think it will. It won't be as responsive as a Savage Flux, and it won't be as torquey as a gasser. It also looks rather more fragile than either a Savage Flux or a 5B, but hey, I'm willing to reserve judgment.

phmaximus 05-21-2012 06:01 AM

Lol, just pulling ur let, I've lost a lot of faith in HPI after my E-10

Well I think this thing has potential, why

Well let's look at a losi 5ive, it will kill a Baja around a track, mainly because it's 4wd
Now the brushless conversion with the castle Xl compare to the stock 5ive gasser motor are insane, and are heaps lighter with a ton more torque and power, the brushless ones eat the gas ones easly. Same with the XL powered baja's
Now MCD SCT is good but in stock form by the looks the 5ive is still better

Now this thing looks lighter again (hpi flux) and it's 4wd so one would think with a Castle XL combo it will be the fastest offload 1/5 out there... Now strictly speaking its not gong to be anymore powerfull unless the XL with its lower KV motor Pulls more amps than the MMP
Only way it's going to be faster is if it's geared lower...

SyCo_VeNoM 05-21-2012 01:19 PM

Agree with foxy
I've lost almost all faith in HPI personally
Started with the Brama 10b... Their page tons upgrades coming meant a aluminum center shaft which is the only thing that won't break under stock power. And yes I tried rebuilding the whole RC, and the chassis snapped again on a 35t motor(I blamed the original chassis on my BL jaunt), and straight up concrete driving after 7 minutes...

Recon the completely insane prices on replacement parts, and piss poor manufacturing of it... So many complaints about diffs dying on stock, rims shattering on stock power, ironically its something the original RC that they bought the design of didn't have problems with. They also made a piss poor motor mount (1 of the only part differences between it and the pro-pulse, other is actual chassis plate due to motor mount)

The trophy trucks I can't recall reading many(if any) good things. (hell think I've only sen 1 satisfied person, but he pumped a ton of cash to make it useable, and is happy doing it).

The Bullet flux I've not seen many satisfied customers

Then HPI putting under powered electronic systems in their RC's for the task that let up the magic smoke soon after use...

Basically IMO most of what HPI's released recently makes new brights look durable...

BTW when I 1st started the hobby I was a HPI fanboy ;)
I had a 100% stock HPI RS4 MT that I got used that were able to take a beating, and only thing that broke on it was a ball end...
Savage X I've not been able to break
and the blitz, and fire storm only read good things

ElectricGuy007 05-21-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Thank you for mentioning this because I was thinking the same thing.
My Savage gets warm enough on 4S; I can't imagine what it would be like on 6S pushing, what, 10 more pounds?
No problem, just 1/8 electronics in a 5th scale, it's like running 10th scale electronics in a 4wd Corr truck.
The motor will run hot no matter what gearing you use because the vechicle your using is just too heavy and big.
4WD Corr trucks need a 550 size motor because of the extra weight the trucks have, it's not like a 4wd 1/10 buggy at all much heavier.

It's like trying to hook a smaller brushless system up to a R/C that's almost as big as a Go Kart. 1/5th scales are gigantic in person.
I cant never see myself owning one because it probably takes 3 bottles of shock oil to refill the shocks there so big.

phmaximus 05-21-2012 03:20 PM

So does that mean if it does not run hot u will be eating ur words?

Also how much does it have to weigh for u guys to be happy that it wont over heat?

SyCo_VeNoM 05-21-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Quote:

Thank you for mentioning this because I was thinking the same thing.
My Savage gets warm enough on 4S; I can't imagine what it would be like on 6S pushing, what, 10 more pounds?
No problem, just 1/8 electronics in a 5th scale, it's like running 10th scale electronics in a 4wd Corr truck.
The motor will run hot no matter what gearing you use because the vechicle your using is just too heavy and big.
4WD Corr trucks need a 550 size motor because of the extra weight the trucks have, it's not like a 4wd 1/10 buggy at all much heavier.

It's like trying to hook a smaller brushless system up to a R/C that's almost as big as a Go Kart. 1/5th scales are gigantic in person.
I cant never see myself owning one because it probably takes 3 bottles of shock oil to refill the shocks there so big.
this is incorrect thinking
this is a 1/8th scale stretched to 1/5th scale size
I run a 60A 1/10th scale ESC in my 1/8th scale buggy that I made from a 1/12th scale nitro truck. It doesn't get any hotter than when it was a 1/12th scale truck. Just cause its longer does not mean there is an extreme increase in weight. The tires are probably equal in size to the stock flux tires or maybe even smaller, and gearing is probably the same.

ElectricGuy007 05-21-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

So does that mean if it does not run hot u will be eating ur words?

NO

Also how much does it have to weigh for u guys to be happy that it wont over heat?

Ive picked up a 1/5 scale they weigh alot more than an 8th scale truggy and people will tell ya that truggies are harder on electronics, and probably twice if not 3 times as much as a Savage monster truck.

Foxy 05-21-2012 11:15 PM

I believe a Savage flux is harder on it's electrics than a racing truggy (on stock gearing), but that's a side topic...

About this new thing and the current subject of debate (whether it will be able to handle its electronics, or rather wether the electronics will be able to handle the car)...the truth as usual is likely to be somewhere in the middle o the 2 strongest opinions.

This new car is going to be considerably lighter than other 1/5ths, that much is obvious, it's mostly plastic where most 1/5ths have several pounds of metal on them stock. By using the XL esc (is this confirmed?) they will likely mitigate the ESC strain completely; that is a true 1/5th scale esc and won't break a sweat in this car. The motor is a bit more of a worry. If it's a typical 1/8th truggy can (Castle 2200kv for example), it's gonna get warm for sure, 2200kv would be too many I blelieve, a 1700kv max would be better. If they use the same electrics combo from the XO-1, then we'll be talking about something which has probably about the right power to weight ratio and should handle the heat. The question then becomes runtimes, which are typically what puts people off the large scale electric cars, they need incredibly powerful and expensive batteries and they go through them fast.

phmaximus 05-22-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Ive picked up a 1/5 scale they weigh alot more than an 8th scale truggy and people will tell ya that truggies are harder on electronics, and probably twice if not 3 times as much as a Savage monster truck.[/color]
Wow that's impressive, u actually got to pic one up, cool..... Just joking :D

I own a 1/5 gasser, losi 5ive. I can tell u there is no way that the HPI 4wd 1/5 SCT will weigh any neer the losi 5ive... No way..
The hpi truck is mostly plastic, no bead lock wheels, no alloy shocks, no massive 26cc petrol engine. All it has is 2 thin chassis plates and the lower suspension mounts/toe supports. It obviously can't be heavy, ur clearly not seeing it for what it is.

Have a sus of this to get a idea
losi 5ive 4wd 26cc 37lbs 2.5oz, 16.85kg

hpi baja SCT 2wd 26cc 29lbs 4.5oz, 13.28kg

Hpi Savage flux 11lbs 13oz, 5.36kg

So are u saying a stretched Savage flux is going to weigh around the same as the other 1/5 gassers and at least 8 more kg that a stock savage flux?

No way I reckon it will be under 8kg easy, that's just over 1/2 the weight of a losi 5ive

Feel free to post how much U guys think it will weigh, will be interesting to see who gets the closes

BKoz559 05-22-2012 05:08 AM

Im not as familiar with HPI's newer products as all I have to reference is an old Wheely King and a Savage Flux.  I assume they put a fair amount of R&D time into their products. I studied that photo more closely and I see what you're all talking about, this is looking more like a stretched out Savage than anything else.  I can even see the purple aluminum axle spacers which increases the track width.  It's not going to be as heavy as I originally thought but it's not a featherweight either.  The 5th scale tires on their own add a lot off rotational mass which still causes concerns over heat management.  I guess the guys with the fat wallets will find out first for the rest of us.

Foxy 05-22-2012 05:44 AM

I think your concern is 100% valid.

It needs minimum the same spec electrics from the XO or don't bother. MINIMUM.

As for RnD, I don't believe that's the problem, more like testing, part production tolerances, materials and quality control.

SyCo_VeNoM 05-22-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Im not as familiar with HPI's newer products as all I have to reference is an old Wheely King and a Savage Flux. I assume they put a fair amount of R&D time into their products. I studied that photo more closely and I see what you're all talking about, this is looking more like a stretched out Savage than anything else. I can even see the purple aluminum axle spacers which increases the track width. It's not going to be as heavy as I originally thought but it's not a featherweight either. The 5th scale tires on their own add a lot off rotational mass which still causes concerns over heat management. I guess the guys with the fat wallets will find out first for the rest of us.
just measured my tires on my savage they have a greater diameter than the 1/5th scale desperados, and a bit bigger than the hpi baja tires (granted I don't see any 1/5th SCT tries up)
But I'm pretty sure http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/products/en/hb61168.html (what I use) have a quite a bit more rotational mass than the 1/5th scale tires. I'll be honest I did have to gear it down a bit, but still its nothing a pinion change wouldn't fix on the savage HPI is going to sell. Even the TCS page recommends gearing down with their conversion to the flux.

In all honesty I think its weight will be around 13-14 lbs + bodies weight (no idea how much a 1/5th scale body weighs)

ElectricGuy007 05-22-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Wow that's impressive, u actually got to pic one up, cool..... Just joking :D

Yeah it's no big deal I really hope people dont have any heat issues.;)
But when you see a 1/5th scale in person it's just your so limited on where you can run them because they are so big.
If I took one to the track they would get angry "Get that thing off the track it's tearing it up!" LOL

1/8 scale truggies are big enough in my opinion. It's costs a small $1,000 to get one of those things running.
But yet around here you can run those truggies anywhere. When I get some money together in the future I plan on building an 8th scale E-buggy.
Have not seen any electric truggies, but I have seen a boatload of E-buggies. They just usually run them with the nitro buggies.

phmaximus 05-22-2012 09:22 PM

He he I've run my losi 5ive everywhere, back yard, skate park, park, track and even next to the track. No real problems running it around here. Old problem is fitting it into our van (2000 kia carnival) with 4 kids and 2 prams... But it just squeezes in.

But back to talking weight because it's running glued wheels I don't see them been any more heavy than some savage stock wheels or even revo wheels, I bet a set of traxxas revo wheels would weigh more

So the only real weight increase from a savage would only be the axle extensions, front and rear bumpers

So I agree with SyCo VeNoM... In its weight

SCT
http://www.rcsoup.com/wp-content/upl...012/02/5sc.jpg

Savage and Xl
http://www.offroad-cult.org/Board/at...mboservo_7.jpg
http://www.rchobbyandtrack.com/images/hpi104240_001.jpg
http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/wp-conten...-wheelbase.jpg
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/ki...arison_01p.jpg

JSS4 05-23-2012 03:42 AM

Personally, I have heard about the HPI XS flux having problems with the lightest of landings. I have also heard about the Mini Trophy and that it is bulletproof. I also agree that the 5iveT looks waaaay better and could whip just about any car around a track with a Mamba XL.

Just had to throw in my 2 pennies worth before the penny is removed from circulation in Canada :D

JSS4

BKoz559 05-23-2012 04:58 AM

As cool as the new 1/5 Flux looks, I think I'm going to stick with my original plan anput the $80 something worth of TCS parts into my truck and make it a Flux "XL" and be more than happy with that. It's still a big truck, it's still fast and it will catch some big air.  Plus bodies will cost about $40 instead of $140+.<div>Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the new truck; it's just not for me.</div>

ElectricGuy007 05-23-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

As cool as the new 1/5 Flux looks, I think I'm going to stick with my original plan anput the $80 something worth of TCS parts into my truck and make it a Flux ''XL'' and be more than happy with that. It's still a big truck, it's still fast and it will catch some big air. Plus bodies will cost about $40 instead of $140+.<div>Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the new truck; it's just not for me.</div>
its $1000, for a $1000 you can buy a ready to run SC10 4wd and a Losi 4wd SCT. All you would need is batteries and a charger.
I would happy with one of those for 4wd short course racing. Specifically the Losi because on 3s that truck is amazingly fast...

BKoz559 05-23-2012 07:48 PM

Right. $1,000 bones isn't chump change. Since Ialready have a Savage Flux I was just commenting that I personally will spend about $80 or so on the parts to install the TCS long chassis plates and long center drive shaft.

With 1/5 carsyou do have to consider where you will be able to drive it because of it's size so, they are not for everyone. Perhaps if HPI offers this truck as a builder's kit then we might have something. Until then I can't help but feel slightly disappointed and will stick with my Savage.

JSS4 05-24-2012 02:57 AM

Isn't it already a kit?

SyCo_VeNoM 05-24-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Right. $1,000 bones isn't chump change. Since I already have a Savage Flux I was just commenting that I personally will spend about $80 or so on the parts to install the TCS long chassis plates and long center drive shaft.

With 1/5 cars you do have to consider where you will be able to drive it because of it's size so, they are not for everyone.
Perhaps if HPI offers this truck as a builder's kit then we might have something. Until then I can't help but feel slightly disappointed and will stick with my Savage.
agree one of the things keeping me from getting the TCS kit
I have problems running my 1/8ths currently seeing there's no where really to drive nearby (can't even drive in the street seeing its so screwed up a real car can't go over 10 mph without screwing up their suspension)
Other is storage I live in a small apartment and my RC fleet is already way past the means to store em the the 1/15th scale kit makes it out 9 inches longer which would make me unable to store my savage where I keep it.