RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Cleaning RC Trucks? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11066873-cleaning-rc-trucks.html)

FUBAR VXL 05-03-2012 08:37 AM

Cleaning RC Trucks?

Guys,

When you run these cars/trucks through the mud, or for hours on a dirt track, and you get home and realize that they are COVERED in dirt, soot and grim - what do you do?

Questions:

1) Do you just buy an air can / air compressor and blow the crap off? (Might not work for mud)

2) Do you toss them under a light spray from a hose?

3) Take hours using a baby wipe to clean every crevice?

4)Buy one of those bottle RCcleaners that I have seen at Tower Hobbies, etc?

Am I also correct to assume - that once they are all clean - its a really good idea to spray the car with WD-40 - especially in the joints and friction areas?

Lastly - how often should you open your gearing covers and re-grease all the internal gearing?

Thanks,

FUBAR VXL
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">Rustler VXL
Slash 4x4 VXL
</span>

BKoz559 05-03-2012 09:25 AM

RE: Cleaning RC Trucks?

The first and best tools for cleaning a car are compressed air and dry paint / tooth brushes. That will clear out a lot of filth.

For the next level of clean I recommend removing your electronics and wheels then use "PurplePower"or "Simple Green" degreaser dilutted in a spray bottle. I use "PurplePower" myself and it dissolves caked on grease and oil. Use a tooth brush and hot water to wash and rinse the entire chassis. You can also use Dawn dish soap on a tooth brush for more lather and light cleaning on the chassis. Immediately dry all the key metal parts with compressed air; that is the bearings, CVD joints and basically anything that may oxidize. You can towel dry the rest of it. Apply light oil to the bearings and CVDs and reassemble your car.

Take caution with certain chromed and painted finishes because those degreasers will eat through some of them! I found out the hard way on a set of chrome Proline crawler wheels. It was a bummer but a little aluminum paint fixed them right up.

I always suggest removing the electronics because I personally won't take a chance with dipping them under water. Some argue that waterproof electronics are safe, but Iwouldn't risk it. You're better off dusting them out with air, brushes and a very lightly dampened cloth.

proanti1 05-03-2012 09:43 AM

An air compressor works better than anything. I try to stay away from chemicals and liquids, some are not good for plastics or electronics, and they just make a mess.

yakfish 05-03-2012 10:53 AM

Nitro fuel and a tooth brush gets everything clean enough for me.

narwalrus 05-03-2012 12:43 PM

I just take a cloth or wipe and clean everything thats easy and then detail everything thats important.

phmaximus 05-03-2012 05:48 PM

I've used all those methods. My compressor is broken ATM, so I've been mainly using baby wipes and a tooth brush.

But I recommend spending ages getting every thing clean, then coat it in garage door lube. It's silicon based and protects the metal from rust and protects the plastic from uv rays. And it repails dirt and keeps everything looking new and shiny. Avoid rubber tho...

Compressed air would be sufficient to clean a car coated with garage door lube.
I use the wd40 brand garage lube "3 in one"

Also there is a over tray available for ur rustler and ur slash... Might be worth getting one if u are muddin

t9dragon 05-04-2012 07:11 AM

I just leave the dirt and grim on my trucks because they are just going to get dirty again..

BKoz559 05-04-2012 11:30 PM

I would only put that much effort into cleaning a vehicle if I were putting it on the shelf for display or if I intended to sell it. Otherwise a quick shot of compressed air is enough cleaning for me.

phmaximus 05-05-2012 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I just leave the dirt and grim on my trucks because they are just going to get dirty again..
My kids say that about cleaning there room, I say why do u wipe ur arse then? :D

In all seriousness, dirty suspension can cause binding, build up of dirt traps moisture and can un ballance wheels and the drive line like u wouldn't believe.
Each to there own. I keep my cars clean 90% of the time

There a lot of articles out there about good car maintance

kopperlis123 05-05-2012 01:09 AM

I love this thread already.
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/act.jpg
http://www.yourfinancehelper.com/article/today/lk.jpg

jar20635 05-05-2012 10:45 PM

I started cleaning my truck with a steamer, it get everything clean and is very powerful without the need of chemicals. Just plain old steam. It even gets the nitro residue of the chassis and sorrounding areas.

t9dragon 05-06-2012 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

My kids say that about cleaning there room, I say why do u wipe ur arse then? :D

In all seriousness, dirty suspension can cause binding, build up of dirt traps moisture and can un ballance wheels and the drive line like u wouldn't believe.
Each to there own. I keep my cars clean 90% of the time

There a lot of articles out there about good car maintance
The reason people wipe their arse is so that they don't smell like crap.