RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Volcano EPX Pro problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11086173-volcano-epx-pro-problem.html)

4X4VolPro 05-18-2012 03:49 PM

Volcano EPX Pro problem

I've had it for about 1 month. I have 2 batteries for it. And recently...I start to go...and it suddenly stops...then spudders like it's out of power...and then it continues to do it...and then the battery dies in less than 4 minutes. Before it completely dies it gets like two full on acclerations before it completely dies.

I can give it all it's got twice...and it's dead.

My husband looked at it and he sees nothing wrong with the drivetrain.

Do i need to buy another one? Or is this a battery issue?<br type="_moz" />

The Mad Modder 05-18-2012 05:23 PM

RE: Volcano EPX Pro problem

ORIGINAL: 4X4VolPro

I've had it for about 1 month. I have 2 batteries for it. And recently...I start to go...and it suddenly stops...then spudders like it's out of power...and then it continues to do it...and then the battery dies in less than 4 minutes. Before it completely dies it gets like two full on acclerations before it completely dies.

Do i need to buy another one? Or is this a battery issue?<br type=''_moz'' />
It sounds to me like either you have a bad battery or the battery doesn't have a high enough mah rating to supply the amount of power the motor needs.

4X4VolPro 05-18-2012 06:17 PM

2200 mah
and the other one I got is 3000mah
1 came with my truck...the didn't.

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: 4X4VolPro

Do i need to buy another one? Or is this a battery issue?<br type="" />
It sounds to me like either you have a bad battery or the battery doesn't have a high enough mah rating to supply the amount of power the motor needs.

phmaximus 05-18-2012 09:13 PM

do u have a friend to test it on a lipo?

4X4VolPro 05-19-2012 03:51 AM

nope

The Mad Modder 05-19-2012 04:56 AM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

do u have a friend to test it on a lipo?
That brings up another possibility. The esc(electronic speed control) may be set up for lipo type batteries instead of nimh and nicad batteries. Nimh and nicad batteries drop to a lower voltage than lipos when they are under load. This may have activated the low voltage cutoff the esc has while in lipo mode. I would check your manual and make sure the esc isn't set for lipos.

nitrosportsandrunner 05-19-2012 08:55 AM

it sounds like the ESC is going into lipo cutoff mode.

You can buy a 5000mah nimh battery from redcat...or a redcat dealer.

But your best option would be to buy a lipo battery. They are so much better than nimh its not even funny.

A good 2s 5000mah pack and a thunder AC6 lipo charger on hobbypartz.com will cost you about $75 shipped.

A 2s 5000mah lipo will ad 5mph to the top speed...as well as acceleration. And you will get 25-35 minutes of runtime!

john01374 05-23-2012 05:23 AM

The stock batteries are junk. The novatech esc and motor have the ability to pull a lot of amps and low end NiMh packs can't deliver the required power.

Get yourself a 5000mah 2S lipo and a decent charger. Both can be had for under a $100 total. The redcat cars are not bad but the stock batteries, charger and radios are not the best.