RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   What's Your R/C Story (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11183063-whats-your-r-c-story.html)

DieHarder 08-06-2012 11:22 AM

What's Your R/C Story
 
This is a thread where you post how you got into R/Cs and how you got your R/Cs and what you do with your R/Cs.

Here's Mine...
I started by getting a big cheap rc camaro from radio shack from my grandpa for christmas when I was 5 yrs old. I ran that up until 2008 when my friend stepped on it and broke the wheel. I was able to get a new one but it was $$. Then the same year, the gearbox split and gears fell all over. I couldn't figure out how to put it back together, so I figured I got enough use out of it and I just junked it. But back in 2007 I got a Tamiya copy 4x4 for my birthday. That was pretty nice. I loved that truck. It ran fast and powerful. Did 35mph. But then some parts broke and I sorta lost interest in it. But in 2009, my Dad bought an Evader St off of craigslist. It was in sad condition. (Servo ruined, worn tires, bad battery, no body, needed adjustments,etc.) So dad and I bought a couple metal servos and some new tires and rims. Got a body off ebay, and adjusted it like the instruction manuel said to. I went threw 6 brushed motors with that thing. Then I once again lost interest. So here in January of 2012, I decide to make this my official hobby. So I upgraded my Evader with metal gears, big pinions, 3S brushless motor and esc, bumpers and wheelie bar, and change the whole drive terrain. Now it's ready but I just have to get a 3S lipo battery and charger. My mom is against it and wants me to get another hobby because she thinks it's too expensive. Well, I don't know. I plan to stay with it.

EXT2Rob 08-06-2012 12:08 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
Well, I got into this hobby a couple Xmas's ago, when my wife (bless her heart!) got me an Evader EXT2.  We have ten acres, so I can run all over the place!  It was my first hobby car since playing with slot cars as a kid. (Anyone here still remember when you had to drive to your local slot car track, IF your city HAD one, and you paid to run, by the hour?)  (I thought not. I'm probably the oldest dude here)  I LOVED it!  What fun!  My buddy came up and tried it, and got hooked too, and he soon had an Evader himself.  So consequently, we started having "race days" where he'd come up and we'd chase each other 'round the yard.  One problem with our yard as far as RC:  TREES.  Not being real good at driving yet, we hit trees frequently.  One would think that an RC car made for beginners would have SOME kind of protection against such collisions, but this was before the Brushless Evader came out, which DOES have a proper bumper.  We started breaking chassis, and other parts.  Of course, we got better at avoiding trees, and to further protect us, we took closed-cell foam sleeping pads and cut them up to use as crash barriers.  Sure reduced car damage!  Surprisingly, even with the stock brushed motor, we started stripping Top Gears. Many weeks/months waiting for replacement parts from DTX.  (Why is it it's always THE part I need that is back-ordered for months?) Eventually, we upgraded to brushless and LiPo (we both bought Castle Sidewinders) And oddly enough, we never had Top Gear issues again!  Go figure.  Even my wife got interested when she saw US having so much fun, so we got her one too.  That interest hasn't continued, so now it's my "2nd" car.  Man we were so hooked, we didn't even want to stop for darkness,  We installed headlights!  Castle wasn't very helpfull or responsive when we had issues with the BL systems, so we replaced them with EZrun systems.  New tires and wheels and other little upgrades and we finally layed out a track.  Not a smooth one, but one more like a combo ralley/short-course that is far from smooth, so it really works the suspnsion and is a hoot to drive.  We have a blast!

narwalrus 08-06-2012 12:32 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
Too long to list.. I've been planning on flowcharting my trades as soon as two or three of my current ones are finished and I can start to get my cars running again haha...

DieHarder 08-06-2012 01:45 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
Oh come on Drifting Narwhal. Just start typing and you'll be done before you know it. you've got some interesting trucks.

DieHarder 08-06-2012 05:22 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 


I see your online. How about you huntingterminater?</p>

nitrosportsandrunner 08-06-2012 05:59 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
had some cheapo's...always wanted a nitro rc.

Bought a used traxxas nitro sport se off Clist.

Havent stopped RCing yet!

SyCo_VeNoM 08-06-2012 07:22 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
similar to nitro
had pile of Tyco's and cheaper RC's
broke them a lot
few years back stopped at fish store, and saw them racing nitro RC's in the parking lot
was like AWW DAMN THATS NEAT
bought a used MT1 2 days later
and a savage a few weeks after that, and another mt1 after that....
now have over 20 RC's sitting around [&:]
Will Say I think this is probably the longest I've gone in the past 3 or so years without buying an RC its been like 6 months since I got a new one :D
Outside the lx2e, and some cheap exceeds(talking $80 shipped RTR here when I say cheap) nothings really piqued my interest recently, but they haven't piqued it enough to make me pull the trigger, and buy em.

thehuntingterminator 08-06-2012 07:44 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
Had some toy grades and thought they were awesome until they begin to loose power since they just use super cheap brushed motors. Then, finally got enough cash to get an old 1990s Traxxas Rustler that had a newer XL-5 ESC. Then, got a Traxxas Bandit VXL used a year or so later. Then, built a brushless Bandit for my bro's first RC. Then got a Savage XS SS, Traxxas Summit, Losi Micro SCT, vintage Kyosho Mantis GP roller, and now have a Losi Comp Crawler. More to come!

pyromatic177 08-06-2012 07:53 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
Ah yeah LX2e all the way lol. I had a lot of toy grade rc's when I was little and the when I was like 9 my cousin came over to my place with the savage .25 I think it was and I thought that was amazing! About 4 years later I got an exceed rc ( poc) and played with that for like 2 years. Got sick of fixing it and traded it for a T-maxx and I loved the real rc cars ( the higher end ones) cause it was all rpm and just tough. And even though it was fun I didn't like tuning it, so I bought a e-revo chassis off of eBay and built on from there! Sold the maxx to finish the revo and I loved that a lot. And then I caught the Buggy bug and I went out and got an Ofna lx2e and I'm loving that also!!!

pyromatic177 08-06-2012 07:57 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Had some toy grades and thought they were awesome until they begin to loose power since they just use super cheap brushed motors. Then, finally got enough cash to get an old 1990s Traxxas Rustler that had a newer XL-5 ESC. Then, got a Traxxas Bandit VXL used a year or so later. Then, built a brushless Bandit for my bro's first RC. Then got a Savage XS SS, Traxxas Summit, Losi Micro SCT, vintage Kyosho Mantis GP roller, and now have a Losi Comp Crawler. More to come!
. You mean you had a summit

SillyWillie-Buh! 08-06-2012 09:11 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
I started off using those gosh darn New Brights with the wire attaching the radio to the car, where you could only drive the car only like 4 ft in front of you, lol. Then I moved up to Nikko, with the Orange NSX(supposedly from 2fast2furious but looked nothing like it) which I loved that thing. After that I gave Tyco's Viper a shot, impressive as heck and thats not even with the battery pack. I begged my mom in walmart until tears came down to buy me the battery pack, which was only 14.98. She gave in as I wiped those tears lol!! While owning the Tyco my cousin, who introduced me to hobby grade rc, owned an RC10T2. He had been in the hobby long before me. He let me take the T2 for a spin and it was a freaking BLAST to drive. Until I broke the front arms. He wasn't too happy about the truck, but happy that I was hooked. Eventually he gave me a Kyosho Mini Z, and that was such a darn tease. I got tired of it and started scheming ways to get my parents to get me a T4 back when it first came out. I Thank my mom since she complained saying how expensive it would be. So I had to buy myself another 20 dollar Nikko RC, this time with an RX8 body. I bought that as a Christmas gift to myself, and used it up until the fall of the next year, when my cousin surprised me with a Kyosho Outrage converted to onroad(Just road tires and a Lamborghini Countach Body. This was before LiPo and brushless were released. On a 7 Cell NIMH battery with a Speedworks Buggy Master motor and a Novak 610-RV ESC that thing flew. After that I decided to give drifting a shot for a about 4 years, starting in my sophomore year of highschool. I owned a Tamiya TT01, a year later a TA03F, then sold the TT01. Simultaneously owned an HPI Sprint 2(non-Flux) with a Nosram Motor/ESC, along with the TA03F. I eventually would've had three cars running when I acquired a TA05 roller, but I was on falling out of love with drifting... Once I got to college I eventually sold the trio for money my freshman year. Went on a hiatus from rc in general for two years, then my junior year bought a Schumacher Mi3 setup for drifting, but never ran it the semester I had it. Traded it for a B4.1 straight up, then bought a B44 which I own both currently! Now I will be buying an E-Firestorm Flux next week sometime. Contemplating whether or not to go all out and get a Futaba 4PL to run my Firestorm and b44 on, and switching the Spektrum DX3E to my girlfriend's future B4.1! WHEWWWW!!!! I came a long way what about 'yal???:D

celica49 08-06-2012 11:42 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
I took a bit of a different path to get to the hobby.

I raced motocross from the age of 15, until I was 21. When I was 21 I hurt my right leg pretty badly when I cased a jump section. I sat in my recliner in the living room for about 3 months. During that time, I had my sister bring me some RC magazines to read and check out while I was hurt. So I ended up deciding that I would run them until I could ride again, and picked up an HPI MT2. I entered my 1st race with that truck in the novice class, and had a good bit of fun. From there, my ankle wasnt getting good enough yet to ride / race moto anymore, so I bought a Cen Matrix TR Truggy. My 1st race with the truggy I finished 2nd. From there, I decided to try a buggy as well, so I picked up a Matrix buggy as well, and a couple Novarossi motors when my beloved 250 sold. Ad the end of that season, I got an opportunity to run a stock car at the local speedway. I loved it so much, i bought a race car for the following season. I immediately started to excel there as well, and at the end of that year bought a 1983 celica to build into a stock car for the following season. finally last year I sold the 2 matrix vehicles that had been sitting on my garage shelf. I started checking out RC car stuff again recently, and decided to pull the trigger. I picked up a Kyosho Inferno Neo Race Spec buggy (the big brown santa truck brought it to me today) and an Inferno Ve Race Spec as well (should be here tomorrow afternoon) to go run at the local tracks. 

The_Shark 08-07-2012 07:08 AM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
oh boy.

I got my first "rc" when I was 5 years old, it was a batmobile with a wire attached to the remote, since then I have loved rc's every year I would ask for them, I have had tons of tyco's, nikko's radio shacks, I always tried to make them better and faster, so when I was 11 I mowed a bunch of lawns and bought my first hobby grade R/c a bandit with a servo operated speed control, since then It was always up to me to buy my own r/c's when I was 13 I bought my first nitro, a worn out nitro evader with a bad engine, I thought myself how to tune with that engine, and since it was so finicky, I can tune just about any engine out there in a few seconds.

I have 3 siblings, however r/c has never interested them, but I bought my little bro a ruckus yesterday for his B-day and it seems like he is going to stick with it:D

yakfish 08-07-2012 07:47 AM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
For me it started about 5 years ago...

I went with some friends to a college hockey game and during the intermissions some guy would go out on the ice and start flying a small plane around and that got me interested. the next day I went to a Local Hobby Shop just to look around and ask them some questions about getting started into flying. While I was there I noticed a few "gas powered" cars they had on display and that really peeked my interest. I remember beign at a Fair when I was little and watching them race and anythign with an internal combustion engines has always got my blood flowing! So I took a closer look at a few of the models they had then I went home and started looking online for some more info from other sources including YouTube then I found this site. I went back to the LHS the next day and bought an HPI Firestorm 10T. I had the usual struggles getting it running and tuned properly but it wasn't long before I got the hang of it and wanted another one. I don't remeber which one I bought next but I have owned many dozens since. I know if it wasn't for Nitro engines I would probably never have gotten into this great hobby. I believe society as a whole is getting lazier every day and people are getting sucked int to electric is easier bit (and it is) But nitro still hold a place in my heart. I hope to always have at least one or two nitros in my garage even if I am getting lazy too and run my electrics than my nitros!

I have never bought another one brand new since that first Firestorm. I am a firm believer in buying used. You can save so much money over buying new even if you have to replace a few parts. This is a hobby and even the new one will need to have parts replaced soon after the purchase anyway so I don't mind having to replace a few right off the bat. I can say that I have never really been burned on a sale, purchase or trade. Overall it has been a great exerience for me. Anyone getting started in this hobby would be well advised to start off with a brand new model purchased locally so you can get answers to the many questions and support from the LHS.

xDIRTYSOUTHx 08-07-2012 02:50 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
Stopped doing drugs and started burning nitro..what's to know?

trible10 08-07-2012 03:45 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
I've always had a few Walmart RC cars or boats growing up. I'm about to tell my age now...as a teenager I traded a skateboard for the Grasshopper buggy!!! Lol That thing was fast!!! A couple of decades later...lol...I finally went out and bought a HPI RS4 Racer and a Stampede (I still have both!!)...from that day on, I've been hooked!! I now have 14 total (13 nitro, 1 E-Revo). Now my son is 8 and he's having fun with his Sportwerks Raven ST. He finally stripped his first spur gear...I'm so proud of him!!! Lol

pyromatic177 08-07-2012 04:46 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
I love my E-revo

DieHarder 08-07-2012 06:21 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
I've never owned a Traxxas car. How would you say they are compare to the other brands out there?

The_Shark 08-07-2012 09:12 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

I've never owned a Traxxas car. How would you say they are compare to the other brands out there?
like taking a cold, rusty, flathead screwdriver, dipping it in ghost chili paste jabbing it in your eye while getting wicked brain freeze with a mint flavored slurpie, while your toes are being eaten off by rabid raccoons while being forced to listento justin bieber sing "baby" as the stench turned milk floods your nose.

however there are people that smile while experiencing the above, why I don't know.

seriously, your not missing a thing. the only thing that is somewhat ok is the 4X4 stampede but its still not worth the money.

ok, maybe I am over exaggerating, but in all honesty, none of thier models are great, the best they have is good and most of the stuff is sub par, but for the price it should be excellent, traxxas was meant to be a affordable durable RTR rc that could get you started in the hobby, and for years it was just that, now they claim to be top dogs, promising this amazing quality and performance and bulletproof durability all at a cost that is too much for even a pro level car, and when it comes down to it, they just don't stack up to any of their competitors, they are weaker, the electronics are cheaper (and burn up constantly), and they require a great deal of hop ups to make the car usable. They are just not worth the money, there is always a competitor that out preforms them FOR LESS MONEY!!!

ECX is how traxxas was, affordable, durable and fun, they don't claim to have outrageous performance, they charge what the car is worth.


TheKennyKiller 08-07-2012 11:40 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
I was the kid in the street who had the crappiest RC when I was young so I guess I got into RC as an adult to compensate for that, now I'm the guy on the forums with the crappiest RC. Nothing ever changes.

DieHarder 08-08-2012 09:04 AM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
I have a crappy rc but had a crappier one. (Threw it out).

Eman77 08-08-2012 10:06 AM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

Quote:

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

I've never owned a Traxxas car. How would you say they are compare to the other brands out there?
like taking a cold, rusty, flathead screwdriver, dipping it in ghost chili paste jabbing it in your eye while getting wicked brain freeze with a mint flavored slurpie, while your toes are being eaten off by rabid raccoons while being forced to listento justin bieber sing ''baby'' as the stench turned milk floods your nose.

however there are people that smile while experiencing the above, why I don't know.

seriously, your not missing a thing. the only thing that is somewhat ok is the 4X4 stampede but its still not worth the money.

ok, maybe I am over exaggerating, but in all honesty, none of thier models are great, the best they have is good and most of the stuff is sub par, but for the price it should be excellent, traxxas was meant to be a affordable durable RTR rc that could get you started in the hobby, and for years it was just that, now they claim to be top dogs, promising this amazing quality and performance and bulletproof durability all at a cost that is too much for even a pro level car, and when it comes down to it, they just don't stack up to any of their competitors, they are weaker, the electronics are cheaper (and burn up constantly), and they require a great deal of hop ups to make the car usable. They are just not worth the money, there is always a competitor that out preforms them FOR LESS MONEY!!!

ECX is how traxxas was, affordable, durable and fun, they don't claim to have outrageous performance, they charge what the car is worth.


No! You? Exaggerate about your Traxxas hate? Say it ain't so! :D

Eman77 08-08-2012 10:11 AM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 
As for me, I got a toy grade RC Indy-style car as a kid - it was a Al Unser Jr. (Domino's Pizza!) car. My best buddy had a similar type, but with a bit more ground clearance. Ran off of like 8 AAs. We ran the heck out of those, then went to hobby grade. I mowed lawns and got an SG Coyote 4WD buggy. Never heard of SG? Neither had I. But the LHS stocked them (but no parts...nice), and the box art was nice, so I got one and it went from there. At the time I was too naive to consider parts support, which brands were best, etc.

Anyway, I got a Kyosho Optima Mid SE next, and a used Falcon. Ran the heck out of em with my buddy.

Then set them aside for a long time, and got back into the game with a used (now "vintage") RC10. Then more modern stuff, as my sig suggests. It's a load of fun, just wish I still lived near my buddy like when I grew up, so we could still race together.

Time to talk a new friend into the hobby. [8D]

thehuntingterminator 08-08-2012 06:16 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: pyromatic177


Quote:

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Had some toy grades and thought they were awesome until they begin to loose power since they just use super cheap brushed motors. Then, finally got enough cash to get an old 1990s Traxxas Rustler that had a newer XL-5 ESC. Then, got a Traxxas Bandit VXL used a year or so later. Then, built a brushless Bandit for my bro's first RC. Then got a Savage XS SS, Traxxas Summit, Losi Micro SCT, vintage Kyosho Mantis GP roller, and now have a Losi Comp Crawler. More to come!
. You mean you had a summit

Lol yes. The crawler is just as fun if not more fun with the winch (when it's running, haha).

tabrown 08-08-2012 06:31 PM

RE: What's Your R/C Story
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: SillyWillie-Buh!

I started off using those gosh darn New Brights with the wire attaching the radio to the car, where you could only drive the car only like 4 ft in front of you, lol. Then I moved up to Nikko, with the Orange NSX(supposedly from 2fast2furious but looked nothing like it) which I loved that thing. After that I gave Tyco's Viper a shot, impressive as heck and thats not even with the battery pack. I begged my mom in walmart until tears came down to buy me the battery pack, which was only 14.98. She gave in as I wiped those tears lol!! While owning the Tyco my cousin, who introduced me to hobby grade rc, owned an RC10T2. He had been in the hobby long before me. He let me take the T2 for a spin and it was a freaking BLAST to drive. Until I broke the front arms. He wasn't too happy about the truck, but happy that I was hooked. Eventually he gave me a Kyosho Mini Z, and that was such a darn tease. I got tired of it and started scheming ways to get my parents to get me a T4 back when it first came out. I Thank my mom since she complained saying how expensive it would be. So I had to buy myself another 20 dollar Nikko RC, this time with an RX8 body. I bought that as a Christmas gift to myself, and used it up until the fall of the next year, when my cousin surprised me with a Kyosho Outrage converted to onroad(Just road tires and a Lamborghini Countach Body. This was before LiPo and brushless were released. On a 7 Cell NIMH battery with a Speedworks Buggy Master motor and a Novak 610-RV ESC that thing flew. After that I decided to give drifting a shot for a about 4 years, starting in my sophomore year of highschool. I owned a Tamiya TT01, a year later a TA03F, then sold the TT01. Simultaneously owned an HPI Sprint 2(non-Flux) with a Nosram Motor/ESC, along with the TA03F. I eventually would've had three cars running when I acquired a TA05 roller, but I was on falling out of love with drifting... Once I got to college I eventually sold the trio for money my freshman year. Went on a hiatus from rc in general for two years, then my junior year bought a Schumacher Mi3 setup for drifting, but never ran it the semester I had it. Traded it for a B4.1 straight up, then bought a B44 which I own both currently! Now I will be buying an E-Firestorm Flux next week sometime. Contemplating whether or not to go all out and get a Futaba 4PL to run my Firestorm and b44 on, and switching the Spektrum DX3E to my girlfriend's future B4.1! WHEWWWW!!!! I came a long way what about 'yal???:D
I just restored a kyosho outrage! I also just recived a tt01!
<br type="_moz" />


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:31 AM.