RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Mamba monster truggy elec problem (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11230134-mamba-monster-truggy-elec-problem.html)

pubmaster861 09-16-2012 11:18 AM

Mamba monster truggy elec problem

I am having a problem with the motor/esc in my truggy(8ight t 2.0 with conversion). I'm running a mamba monster esc with a 1717 castle motor, and as I'm driving it sometimes it will cut off like I'm releasing the throttle but then jolt and continue to excellerate . But it doesn't do this all the time. I don't think it's cogging but it seems there is almost a loss of connection with the throttle. The remote is fine, because I use it in my mini revo as well. Any ideas as to what I should do would be awesome , thanks.

Foxy 09-16-2012 11:21 AM

RE: Mamba monster truggy elec problem

Have you calibrated the ESC?

pubmaster861 09-16-2012 11:25 AM

Yes when I first got it, I tried it again just to make sure it was done

wyumez 09-16-2012 12:19 PM

are the a b c connectors soldered correctly? any cross-soldering?

pubmaster861 09-16-2012 12:32 PM

Cross soldering? To the motor? It's connected straight from motor to esc bullet into esc I'm pretty sure

EXT2Rob 09-16-2012 01:46 PM

Are you using an old AM transmitter?  When I got my Castle system (now deceased) it put out so much RF noise, it interfered with the original Tactic AM radio and limited the range to a little over 10ft, at which point it would start to act like you describe, or stop altogether.  Had to upgrade to a 2.4ghz system to solve the problem.  It might also be the BEC in your ESC crapping out, as I've heard the Mambas are wont to do, causing your receiver to "brown out".

pubmaster861 09-16-2012 02:46 PM

No I'm running a dx3s that came with the 8ight t, this esc doesn't have much time on it could it really be a bad bec?

yakfish 09-16-2012 06:17 PM

Thats what they are supposed to do when the battery voltage drop below a certain point. Check you batteries, make sure they are full. Then see what the ESC is programmed at for a cutoff. Sounds like the low voltage cutoff to me.

pubmaster861 09-16-2012 07:30 PM

I don't think it's the low voltage cutoff, it does this at full charge. I've read in some posts it's been bad batteries most of the time. I am running a turnigy 4s 5000 mah 40-50c, it just kind of hesitated sometimes it seems like. The low voltage works good cuz it only gives you a burst of speed every time you punch the throttle that part is working fine. It flys when it's accelerating hard, and I don't even have the esc tuned right up, when you do get cogging what is the solution? Is it gear it down or up?

pubmaster861 09-16-2012 07:32 PM

And I check my cells with a tester while I'm driving throughout as well

yakfish 09-16-2012 09:02 PM

It will cog if you are geared too tall. What gearing are you running?

pubmaster861 09-17-2012 09:49 AM

I'm running the gearing that comes with the conversion kit, haven't bought anything new. Could be cogging then cuz it's the 1717 motor in it, I believe the biggest can they made besides the 1/5th scale , the pinion is a 15 and the spur is like a 45 or something, tough to tell cuz I destroyed it yesterday and haven't taken it off yet. It was plastic :D

EXT2Rob 09-21-2012 07:00 AM

Any luck figuring this out yet?    Can you reproduce the problem on the bench by wiggling wires to see if you have a sketchy connection?  The only other thing I can think of to try is, try powering your receiver with a battery and eliminate the BEC. If that solves it, then it's definately the BEC in the ESC, and you should send it back to Castle. (And good luck with THAT!) 

Foxy 09-21-2012 08:31 AM

Video would be handy, starting to sound like a shot motor.

pubmaster861 09-27-2012 01:33 PM

No haven't got a new gear yet , was gonna try to gear it down and see if that helps, I have noticed some slight twitching before though, is this tied directly to the bec? Sorry for the wait between posts waiting for pay day to get some parts, thanks for posting guys

EXT2Rob 09-29-2012 06:53 AM

The BEC (battery elimination circuit) is built into the ESC.  The ESC, therefore, powers the receiver.  If the BEC is weak (which I've heard Mambas are) and your steering servo (which gets its power from the receiver) is a power hog like a Savox, it will cause problems. Either the servo will get twitchy, or the receiver "browns out" and can cause twitchy steering or throttle.

If you don't have another servo or receiver to try, it can be tough to find the root cause sometimes.  And of course, since you are electric, you don't have a receiver battery lying around, but that would be a good thing to try if you can get yer hands on one. That would eliminate the BEC. If that solves the problem, then the issue IS the BEC.   Get it?

pubmaster861 09-30-2012 03:21 AM

I understand what your saying , my trug is working alot better now I switched receivers and geared it down 3 teeth, I still have an issue where the truggy will start engagin reverse on its own and Rollin backwards slowly but I think this has to do with my dead band on the remote/ the neutral set points, so I'm gonna reset those settings

Foxy 10-01-2012 07:54 AM

What servo are you using?

pubmaster861 10-01-2012 10:28 AM

Jr 9100t

EXT2Rob 10-06-2012 08:28 AM

How's the electrical issue?  Get'er working right?

pubmaster861 10-07-2012 05:35 AM

Ya it's working good just Have to tweak some settings on the es still and test, waiting for snow to melt to test some more

Maj_Overdrive 10-14-2012 06:34 PM

Castle bec's aren't the greatest and Spektrum recievers can be sensitive to voltage. Try a glitch buster cap in the spare channel of the Rx. Also make sure you're using the latest NON-Beta version of ESC firmware.