RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Charging multiple Lipos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11250404-charging-multiple-lipos.html)

ElectricGuy007 10-12-2012 07:38 AM

RE: Charging multiple Lipos

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Can't help thinking you were just unlucky, but anyway, there are myriad power supplies available.
well in the one I bought within one month after I ordered it (took a month to come via slow post) there were 30 negative reviews all saying the same thing(read the reviews AFTER mine burned) so I doubt it was me alone. It was a new product at the time I ordered it and 2 months later they removed it and replaced it with one that looked exactly the same (diff name) and that had a pile of negatives within 2-3 months stating the same issues. I took it apart the soldering on it was so half assed it wasn't even remotely funny. The 5V fan was connected to a 12V rail which cause the fan to burn up, and the voltage regulators to burn up VERY shortly after(which the one review said and I couldn't believe till I opened it up)...

Well if you ever get a bad Lipo pack from Hobby King, they usually dont replace them.
Thier customer service is one of the worst, so I'm just giving you guys a fair warning before you buy from them.

Foxy 10-12-2012 07:41 AM

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Can't help thinking you were just unlucky, but anyway, there are myriad power supplies available.
well in the one I bought within one month after I ordered it (took a month to come via slow post) there were 30 negative reviews all saying the same thing(read the reviews AFTER mine burned) so I doubt it was me alone. It was a new product at the time I ordered it and 2 months later they removed it and replaced it with one that looked exactly the same (diff name) and that had a pile of negatives within 2-3 months stating the same issues. I took it apart the soldering on it was so half assed it wasn't even remotely funny. The 5V fan was connected to a 12V rail which cause the fan to burn up, and the voltage regulators to burn up VERY shortly after(which the one review said and I couldn't believe till I opened it up)...

Well if you ever get a bad Lipo pack from Hobby King, they usually dont replace them.
Thier customer service is one of the worst, so I'm just giving you guys a fair warning before you buy from them.
It's true but even if you get a dead battery with every order, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying name brands. And the cells are just as good.

ElectricGuy007 10-12-2012 07:51 AM

It's true but even if you get a dead battery with every order, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying name brands. And the cells are just as good.

Yeah I like buying name branded stuff myself. Never had any issues at all. And if I did it would get replaced with a new one with no charge.

The Hobby King stuff isnt bad stuff it's just cheaply made because your buying something chinese workers make at half the cost.
Ive had people at the track buy a new esc from hobby king that was bad right outa the box
and that other guy on another thread is right they usuallly dont give you instructions for them.
BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK. And that's all I gotta say about that...

It will cost more to send something back to Hobby King than what you paid for it most of the time.

Henryslash 10-17-2012 04:39 AM

Hi<div>
</div><div>I just got my Hobbywing esc and motor and have fitted it but the programme card lights up with just a minus sign in each box...any ideas?</div><div>[:o]</div>

Henryslash 10-17-2012 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of pictures of card etc

SyCo_VeNoM 10-17-2012 07:45 AM

weird never saw that issue before

did you hook it up prior to plugging the battery in, and turning it on?
Been awhile since I used that card as I got the high end LCD one that I use now.

Henryslash 10-18-2012 02:16 AM

Hi

I got it working instructions were wrong or i didnt read them correctly :)

OK now another problem.... i have just come in from running both slashes i have with the ez run motors and esc in both of them. They ran great for 3 minutes but then shut down and all that works is the steering.

I was running them on tarmac and softish ground and had them go through a puddle 4 or 5 times which only came upto midway on the wheels so not submerged.

Any ideas?http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/drowning.gif

Henry<br type="_moz" />

ElectricGuy007 10-30-2012 04:22 PM

Sounds like you got the esc wet and it shut down. I reccomend letting them dry for a while and not run the vechicle for a while.
Water and electronics dont mix unless your running the Traxxas Velenon system.

Foxy 10-31-2012 08:23 AM

Yeh, as we said, waterproof is not only rare, but also very subjective, out of those systems which are designated 'waterproof', not many of them actually are. You should look at videos on youtube on how to 'waterproofing your ESC'.

How did you enjoy it while it was running?

Henryslash 10-31-2012 09:04 AM

It turned out that it wasnt because it got wet that it spluttered but because the LVC was on and the batteries were not powerful enough. I turned off the LVC and they are flying about the place.<div>
</div><div>If i want to reduce power can i only 3/4 pull the trottle trigger when i am setting up the transmitter to give me 3/4 power or will this not work?</div>

Henryslash 10-31-2012 09:22 AM

Just ordered 5200 2s2p 30c lipos from hobbyking.<div></div><div>Can someone tell me if say the battery would last 25 mins running is it ok to charge it after 20 mins? I know there will still be 5 mins runtime in it but will it affect the battery that ididn'trun it down all the way?</div><div></div><div>I will be hiring out these slashes so want to change the batteries before they dye as dyeing during a race would beproblematic

Also what does 30 c stand for?</div><div></div><div>Thanks :-)</div>

Foxy 10-31-2012 12:28 PM

OK, firstly, NEVER turn off the LVC. Just adjust it if its too high. 3v per cell is fine, and should give you decent runtime and overall battery life. Don't run them without LVC, you'll kill the batteries.

Regarding your questions...good news they didn't get wet, still look into waterproofing.

You can use the end point adjustment of the transmitter to adjust maximum power delivery, yes.

It doesn't matter if you run for only 5 minutes or run until the LVC kicks in, lipos don't care, you can charge them with any amount of existing charge and the charger will just top them up.

C is a rating of maximum current handling, higher is better to a point. Imagine you have a 5000mAh 10C battery. the 10C refers to the mAh, so it's 10*5000mA=50A maximum current. For your new batteries you just ordered, it's 30*5200mA=156A maximum current, which is WAY more than you need for those cars, so these batteries will be good and handle it easily. 1/10th motors typically pull between 20 and 40A during normal running, peaking at 50-60A max, which is unlikely to strain any lipo.

How are the cars, having fun? :)

Henryslash 11-01-2012 12:24 AM

Yea they are whizzing about the place without any trouble now you have all given me advice :)<div>
</div><div>Would you know the best timing system for my requirements? Ie rentals?</div><div>
</div><div>I know the best is usually the most expensive so maybe an alternative also :)</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks again</div>

Foxy 11-01-2012 05:37 AM

If I remember correctly, there is a system called 'mylaps' available commercially. Don't know how much it costs, found their product page though...

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_e.../B2B/rc/system

EXT2Rob 11-02-2012 07:53 AM

You plugged the wire into the the programming card backwards, did you?

ORIGINAL: Henryslash

Hi<div></div><div>I just got my Hobbywing esc and motor and have fitted it but the programme card lights up with just a minus sign in each box...any ideas?</div><div>[:o]</div>

Henryslash 11-05-2012 05:54 AM

<span style="font-size: larger; ">Hi</span><div><span style="font-size: larger; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-size: larger; ">I just emailed my-laps for a price :)</span></div><div><span style="font-size: larger; ">
</span></div><div><span style="font-size: larger; ">Can anyone tell me if the 350w power supply (<span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; ">The Hobbyking PS35) will be strong enough to power the 400w (</span><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; ">Turnigy 4x6S) charger?

I will want to be charging 4, 2s2p 5200mah 30c lipos in under an hour at the same time.<br type="_moz" /></span></span><span style="font-size: larger; "><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; ">
</span></span><span style="font-size: larger; "><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; ">Just about to order them so want to make sure :)</span></span></div><div><span style="font-size: larger; "><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; ">
</span></span></div><div><span style="font-size: larger; "><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial; ">Thanks all for the help</span></span></div>