RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   SC8e vs. SC8.2e (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11261915-sc8e-vs-sc8-2e.html)

HerrSavage 10-14-2012 02:50 AM

SC8e vs. SC8.2e

I don't know anything about electrics. The new SC8.2e though comes with different components than the older one. Which one has the better gear? Pros/cons?

I know about the steering geometry of the RC8.2, etc.. - and the Big Bores. The Big Bores are plastic?

I just see them being sold for about the same price. If the older one had the better components, I think I'd take it over the newer one which just has upgrades that make no difference for bashing - except maybe the shocks.. But I've got spare AE Big Bores laying around..

The Collector1 10-14-2012 12:06 PM

RE: SC8e vs. SC8.2e

I heard the new electronics are more reliable but I dont know where I could get them from to try out. I have an SC8 that needs electronics and I thought I might try that 1515.

I did swap the stock shocks for the aluminum big bores, much smoother

HerrSavage 10-27-2012 11:22 PM

Are the electronics in the original SC8E unreliable? Is Castle or whatever it is in the SC8E unreliable, but Reedy reliable? Is that the basis for saying that? Thanks.. Just asking. I know nothing about electric...

Maj_Overdrive 10-28-2012 04:23 PM

AE never used Castle electronics, only LRP. LRP's 1st and 2nd gen 1/8 brushless systems were more suited to 1/10th SC trucks than true 1/8th buggies. The 1st gen used high Kv 2 pole motors, that were too small and had no torque. For the 2nd gen (used in the RC8e+ SC8e RTR) they used a 4 pole motor (more torque), lowered the Kv and made the motors bigger. Idk about reliability, but I heard they were still down on power, heated up more and just weren't as good as the competition. The esc's seem to be fine though. The SC8.2e looks to be using the same LRP esc, but now has a Reedy Badged motor. Might be the same as the previous LRP and just a PR stunt, or could be totally different. Idk the exact specs of either, but I'd go with the newer Reedy in the SC8.2e as AE has been listening and making improvements along the way.

HerrSavage 10-28-2012 11:03 PM

SC8e has a Neu-Castle 2200 motor, the SC8.2e a 2000 Reedy.. ??

Haddi Taha 10-29-2012 02:31 AM

The reason why I think the new Associated sc8.2e has reedy electronics is because thunder tiger owns both associated and reedy among other companies (lrp, ace rc, maybe hobbywing and tamiya soon according to my lhs)

It is easier for them to share electronics among all the brands, the thunder tigers and associated have ace rc same systems/servos in most rtr's, the thunder tiger use ace rc motor/esc's and associated tend to have reedy motors and esc's.

Castle creations make reliable stuff and many consider them the most powerful motors (not smoothest).

As far as the chassis go, tbh I don't know how big the changes are but I will imagine they are both reliable.

Is this your first ever electric?

<br type="_moz" />

HerrSavage 10-29-2012 03:00 AM

It would be.. Don't have one yet. But as far as I can tell converting my current SC8 would cost at least half what a new whole RTR would.. Not in the cards right now, but I always keep an eye out for deals..

So the Castle stuff is good then.. Always heard that anyway..

Haddi Taha 10-29-2012 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

It would be.. Don't have one yet. But as far as I can tell converting my current SC8 would cost at least half what a new whole RTR would.. Not in the cards right now, but I always keep an eye out for deals..

So the Castle stuff is good then.. Always heard that anyway..
Yeah castle stuffs good. However like most things everyone has their own opinion on what is the best of them all
<br type="_moz" />

HerrSavage 11-03-2012 03:10 AM

Is running brushless/lipo even possible without having to solder? My experiences with soldering so far have been ....., well, offputting...

Haddi Taha 11-03-2012 09:10 PM

Is running brushless/lipo even possible without having to solder? My experiences with soldering so far have been ....., well, offputting...
RTR stuff always have pre soldered motors and esc's otherwise they won't be ready to run. Sometimes when you buy motors and esc seperate to the car you may have to solder them your self., but there are a few that come pre soldered.

As for Lipo batteries, they will either have connecters that match the ones on your esc or not. If they are the wrong type, you will have to change the connecter on the esc or battery so that they match.

As for Lipo chargers, you can usually purchase adaptors premade if your charger doesn't come with the right connecters for your battery.

With high powered 8 scale setups, avoid using adaptors to connect different plugs together, get them soldered.

Deans and Traxxas connecters are great, there are a few other connecters that a great too but NEVER USETAMIYACONNECTORSON8 SCALESTUFF!THEYWILLMELT!

Soldering is an important skill to learn, you don't have to be pro at it, rc soldering is very basic. But if you really don't want to solder then get a friend or your lhs to do it for you.

chonyc77 11-04-2012 11:09 PM

I too never heard of Associated using anything Castle in there RTR's. The ones i have bought or seen have always had Reedy stuff. To be honest i was always disappointed with the Reedy systems that came in the Associated RTR RC's i have tried. They have always felt under powered and in some cases over heated easily. Nothing compared to Castle RTR systems which are some of the best...<div></div><div>I wish they used Castle and i would probably have a few in my collection. HPI brushless RTR's all come with Castle gear and IMO castle is by far the best brand included in RTR RC's today and i use Castle gear in just about all the kits i have built through out the years. Great company....</div>

Haddi Taha 11-05-2012 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: chonyc77

I too never heard of Associated using anything Castle in there RTR's. The ones i have bought or seen have always had Reedy stuff. To be honest i was always disappointed with the Reedy systems that came in the Associated RTR RC's i have tried. They have always felt under powered and in some cases over heated easily. Nothing compared to Castle RTR systems which are some of the best...<div></div><div>I wish they used Castle and i would probably have a few in my collection. HPI brushless RTR's all come with Castle gear and IMO castle is by far the best brand included in RTR RC's today and i use Castle gear in just about all the kits i have built through out the years. Great company....</div>
The older sc8 did have a castle setup, I myself prefer Hobbywing and not only becasue they are a bit cheaper. i Haven't tried castle yet but I hear good things about them
<br type="_moz" />

HerrSavage 11-06-2012 02:01 AM

Is there anything to prevent you from doing a quip swap over to nitro with the SC8e's`? I guess all that matters is the holes in the chassis for the engine and tank, etc... ??

The Collector1 11-06-2012 07:13 AM

As long as you have the nitro parts its an easy swap, I just switched a RC8T to an E. The chassis is the same as the SC8.

Maj_Overdrive 11-07-2012 09:38 AM

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here, AE never used Castle electronics in their RTR's. The first 1/8th AE's were sold as rollers only until LRP was on their 2nd gen brushless system. The 1st gen systems were availie when AE released their 1/8 cars, but they werent really up to the task. The 1st gen systems, which weren't included in the RTR were basically 550 motors with 380 sized rotors, same mistake Novak made with the original HV line. The 2nd gen motors had a lower Kv and larger rotors for more torque. But Thunder Tiger Owns AE, LRP and Reedy, they wouldnt put a Castle system in it. I'm sure retailers bundled the early 1/8th roller with Castle systems which may be why you're thinking they came with them.

AE has their own conversion kit they use on the nitro chassis for their RTR's. To convert one to nitro you would need: rear center diff support, center diff top plate, complete brakes and linkage, nitro radio tray + battery box, fuel tank, engine mounts and all the hardware to mount everything.

HerrSavage 11-07-2012 09:52 AM

This is how they're listed here in Germany. Says something about Mamba Monster, but also Neu-Castle 2200...

Team Associated SC8e Brushless RTR 2,4GHz

Der ultra-realistische SC8e wurde so designed, dass er seinen großen Vorbildern, den US-Amerikanischen Short Course Trucks detailgetreu nachempfunden ist. Der brandneue Team Associated SC8e ist ausgestattet mit dem immensen Leistungspotential, sowie der Zuverlässigkeit und Sauberkeit von Elektroantrieben. Wie auch der SC8 wurde der SC8e so entwickelt, um das Handling und Aussehen der Short Course Trucks perfekt umzusetzen. Alles ist wie im Original: eine haltbare und detaillierte Polycarbonat (LEXAN) Karosserie, originalgetreue KMC-Felgen mit realistischen Off-Road-Reifen, originalgetreuer Federweg, ein voll ausgebildeter Überrollkäfig sowie realistischen Spritzlappen. Der SC8e lässt keinerlei Scale-Wünsche offen.

Features:
Absolut authentische Rockstar/Makita Replika-Karosserie
Originalgetreue Reifen & Felgen mit Spezial-Einlagen und Gold eloxierten „Bead Guards“
Professionelles & bewährtes „Mamba Max Pro“ Brushless-System mit Deans Ultra Plug Hochleistungs-Gold-Steckern
Extrem-Leistungsstarker Neu-Castle 2200kV Qualitäts-Brushless-Motor
XP3-SS 2.4GHz 3-Kanal RC-System für störungsfreien Betrieb & drehmoment-starkes Metall-Getriebe-Lenk-Servo
16mm „Big Bore“ Öldruckstoßdämpfer aus leichtem, zähem Kunststoff-Verbundmaterial
Funktionaler und ultra-realistischer Überrollkäfig mit integrierten Schmutz-Abweisern
Cool in Schwarz eloxiertes, 3mm starkes Chassis aus 7075 Qualitäts-Aluminium
Stabile 3mm Aluminium Dämpferbrücken
Stabile Stoßstangen nach Original-Vorbild inklusive der legendären „A-Team“ Logo Gummi „Mud Flaps“

Technische Daten:
Maßstab 1/8
Antriebsart 4WD Elektro Brushless Mamba System von Castle
Länge 616mm
Breite 311mm
Spurbreite 259mm
Gewicht ohne Akku 4040g
Radstand 375mm
Interne Untersetzung 4.30:1

The SC8 has also never come as a roller - only RTR..

Maj_Overdrive 11-07-2012 11:35 AM

That's interesting that you can get the SC8e with a Castle system over there. Ok Im wrong then. The SC8 wasn't available as a roller here, but when the SC8e first came out Im pretty sure it was only a roller here until the RTR came out. And over here I've only seen AE 1/8th rtr's with LRP electronics. Either way, a SC8e with Castle MMP (Mamba Max Pro) esc and Castle 2200kv sounds better to me than the LRP/Reedy combo. I wouldve rather seen a Mamba Monster esc instead of the MMP though. The Bec in the MMP isn't the best, but Castles warranty is great and an external Bec is cheap insurance that improves servo performance at the same time.

chonyc77 11-11-2012 03:32 PM

I also was unaware that Associated ever used anything Castle in there RTR RC cars. I have always seen them use Reedy and other systems owned by the company. From what i have tried and seen i was never a big fan of the systems Associated included with there RTR RC's.<div>
</div><div>The best systems i have seen in RTR RC's has always been the Mamaba systems. IMO they are some of the best brushless esc/motors out there and have no problem buying them for kits i have built in the past with amazing results. I also have never had there ESC or motors burn out on me like some other brands.</div><div>
</div><div>I dont think it is fair to compare Hobbywing to Castle. Castle systems are of much more superior quality and the motors offer much better powerbands. The powerbands in the Hobbywings i have tried were not good at all and some of them seemed to have no power early on in the rev and then when you got to the end of the rev, the power would kick in a little but nothing compared to the Mamaba motors.</div><div>
</div><div>IMO, for the money Mamba motors are hard to beat. They kick ass!!!</div>

Haddi Taha 11-12-2012 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: chonyc77

I also was unaware that Associated ever used anything Castle in there RTR RC cars. I have always seen them use Reedy and other systems owned by the company. From what i have tried and seen i was never a big fan of the systems Associated included with there RTR RC's.<div></div><div>The best systems i have seen in RTR RC's has always been the Mamaba systems. IMO they are some of the best brushless esc/motors out there and have no problem buying them for kits i have built in the past with amazing results. I also have never had there ESC or motors burn out on me like some other brands.</div><div></div><div>I dont think it is fair to compare Hobbywing to Castle. Castle systems are of much more superior quality and the motors offer much better powerbands. The powerbands in the Hobbywings i have tried were not good at all and some of them seemed to have no power early on in the rev and then when you got to the end of the rev, the power would kick in a little but nothing compared to the Mamaba motors.</div><div></div><div>IMO, for the money Mamba motors are hard to beat. They kick ass!!!</div>
I have seen castle systems in SC8e in Australia

Motor/ESC brands are personal preference really, the top ones being tekin (more racey) , castle (supposebly more power) and hobbywing (more budget friendly). I have a 2200kv 4274sd motor in my thunder tiger mt4, it can do a standing backflip on 4s (the truck has a center diff with 100k oil) and runs cool. I've heard many stories of castle esc buring up and tekin ones having glitches when wot. Then again these are things I've heard. The xerun 150a is super reliable, but like any product can get wrecked. On the other hand Castle and Tekin have great warranty and customer service, I don't know about hobbywing, never used it.

I think tekin, castle and hobbywing are the top 3 in motor/esc

<br type="_moz" />

wilfredes 11-12-2012 01:53 AM

Great site. A lot of useful information here.
http://bookstoday.info/go/smile.jpg
http://bookstoday.info/lo/sad.jpg

ElectricGuy007 11-12-2012 05:50 PM

SC8's are pretty awesome to see in person. That big thing just flies over jumps like the RC8 buggy does.
When it came out yeah people did run them here, but you need a big track to run them, a 1/10 scale track and SC8 dont mix.
People probably stopped running them because they tear the track up. A track that runs truggies all year you can tell it's beatup
after a while. If I had an SC8 id wanna run the 10th scales over....lol

Haddi Taha 11-13-2012 01:24 AM

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

SC8's are pretty awesome to see in person. That big thing just flies over jumps like the RC8 buggy does.
When it came out yeah people did run them here, but you need a big track to run them, a 1/10 scale track and SC8 dont mix.
People probably stopped running them because they tear the track up. A track that runs truggies all year you can tell it's beatup
after a while. If I had an SC8 id wanna run the 10th scales over....lol

lol, everyone will just get out of your way

HerrSavage 11-20-2012 12:38 AM

Could somebody do me a fave and post a few links to ideal batteries for an SC8.2e? Amain and Tower preferably.. I really have no clue about lipos.. Don't need to be über-top-of-the-line for hardcore racing.. I'm a basher, so would be after value-for-money.. Thanks.

Keep thinking about what kind of goodies to treat myself to over the winter, and that blue SC8.2e is the thing that appeals to me the most.. Just a much bigger purchase than I can really justify right now.. But when you look at the price of converting my current SC8 or an LST2................. Fuh-get about it. Far more sensible to just get a new RTR..

Also, I was reading this thread on a German forum about a guy with an SC8e, and at the end the dude was like "I sold it, the cost of upkeep was just too high".. Why would that be? Frying ESC's and lipos? The brushless power destroying the drivetrain? My nitro SC8 probably has 20 gallons of fuel through it, and I don't think I've replaced anything.. It's kind of rough around the edges, sure, but it keeps going and going... Does brushless mean tons more maintenance?

Big Trol 11-25-2012 07:49 PM

No response, apparently not interesting enough. Oh well.

HerrSavage 12-02-2012 11:12 PM

Nearly bought an SC10 2wd RTR RS yesterday, new, for €222(a new SC8.2e is minimum €500). Would an SC10 be good for me? Just messing around, keeping things basic (and cheap), getting to know electric, running mostly around the park, but sometimes on a track for fun.., etc.. Having to solder is a put-off though..

Big Trol 12-07-2012 11:16 PM

Spend the money, you'll be glad you did. No substitute for performance. Also, I'm partial, but, if you can find an SC8e, the only upgrades on the .2e are metal shock bodies, not much of an upgrade. The castle setup is so much better, again, my opinion, but one that seems to be shared by others.

HerrSavage 12-07-2012 11:22 PM

I think I've kind of settled on an SC10, but still not sure.. The deal for the SC8 would be an SC8.2e, and even that is more than I want to spend for anything electric... An SC8e with the Castle would be another €50 at least.. Is the Reedy motor in the .2e really so bad?

EDIT: just checked, the older SC8e is €70 more..

Big Trol 12-08-2012 12:59 PM

I'm not sure why the extra cost there, here, if you can find one they're the same cost. The difference between the reedy setup and the castle may only be personal preference, maybe the extra cost is the supply thing, maybe the demand for the original. I really haven't seen anything really negative about the .2e except people either think they didn't go far enough with the upgrades and they should have stuck with the original castle setup. It's still an awesome truck as they say "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". The SC10 is a nice little truck though, have you looked at the team edition, has a lot of the performance upgrades built in for a lot less money than it would cost to bring a stock model up to that level. Just a thought.

HerrSavage 12-08-2012 01:21 PM

My gut keeps saying SC8.2e, but my brain is saying RC8.2e - more versatile, faster(lighter), smaller(space is limited), still shares lots of parts, could even race it some day if I wanted..

If I'm being honest I kind of hate 10th scale SC's.. - at least watching them race.. The SC10 being a whole new parts sourcing issue too is off-putting. I mean, yeah, RTR it costs less than half. But add in the RPM arms and bumper, and it's more than half. A few other bits here and there and it's up to easily 3/5 the price. Whereas with either the SC8.2e or RC8.2e I really need nothing in terms of parts or upgrades, since I have so many 8th scale AE parts laying around..

Haddi Taha 12-08-2012 02:43 PM

I would get the sc8 or rc8, The power/durabilty/awesomeness of 8 scale cannot be matched with a 1/10

Big Trol 12-08-2012 04:08 PM

I'm trying to decide myself what my next addition will be probably the RC8.2e factory team kit. I love my SCbut there's usualy not enough to make a class at the local tracks although the class is growing it's still hit and miss. I completely agree with you as far as the performance aspects are concerned. And going completely off topic I'm also looking into a1/10 scale 190mm tc of some type, lots of parking lot action here. Too many toys, too many choices. Oh well, another day.

HerrSavage 12-11-2012 09:14 AM

I've got an urgent-ish question.

Basically, I am turned off by the SC8.2e, and would prefer to buy the older version. But............., it's no longer available here.

So..., if it's going to be another AE to try something brushless, it's going to be the SC8.2e, or maybe the RC8.2e.

The problem is, most of my huge pile of spare parts is for the older RC8B and SC8.

Crucial for me would be being able to know that I could use all these (NIP) arms and CVD's and diff parts and cups etc... I have an RC8.2, but it's probably first on my list of RC's to sell. I am not happy with AE at the moment, but like the older cars. The RC8.2 is annoying for a few reasons, especially that they made stupid little nit-picky changes like using different length diff cups on the front and back, the stupid rubber O-ring to hold the center drive shafts in, etc..

Anyway, does the SC8.2e completely take over all the changes of the RC8.2, or just the lower towers, shorter shocks, etc? Can I use old arms as spares?...

Haddi Taha 12-11-2012 05:19 PM

Basically, I am turned off by the SC8.2e, and would prefer to buy the older version. But............., it's no longer available here.

So..., if it's going to be another AE to try something brushless, it's going to be the SC8.2e, or maybe the RC8.2e.

The problem is, most of my huge pile of spare parts is for the older RC8B and SC8.

Crucial for me would be being able to know that I could use all these (NIP) arms and CVD's and diff parts and cups etc... I have an RC8.2, but it's probably first on my list of RC's to sell. I am not happy with AE at the moment, but like the older cars. The RC8.2 is annoying for a few reasons, especially that they made stupid little nit-picky changes like using different length diff cups on the front and back, the stupid rubber O-ring to hold the center drive shafts in, etc..

Anyway, does the SC8.2e completely take over all the changes of the RC8.2, or just the lower towers, shorter shocks, etc? Can I use old arms as spares?...
hmm sorry I don't really no much of the differences
<br type="_moz" />

theibault 12-13-2012 12:19 PM

I love my RC8.2E. It's used as a basher by myself, no racing. I have beat it up and had no issues. Can't recommend it enough.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...514_184916.jpg

HerrSavage 12-13-2012 12:31 PM

Too late...

Nice ride though..

Big Trol 12-13-2012 12:42 PM

Just a thought, electronics only last just so long. Then you could go any direction you wanted to, castle, whatever, it's an awesome truck. I looked into some of your parts interchangeability, some are, some aren't. I went into a little more detail on one of the other sites.

HerrSavage 12-13-2012 12:50 PM

Decided against either of the SC8's. If I had a big nice smooth local track, just up the road, and good sunny weather at least eight months of the year, I might have thought differently. But at the local rutty hacked up moonscape tracks I run at, my nitro SC8 pretty much sucks compared to buggy and truggy(even buggy is iffy sometimes..) I love my SC8, but it's basically useless for me on the tracks I run at...

I am also................................ displeased... with AE and the whole direction they went with the RC8.2(which I also have..) The car is not what I was led to believe it would be. It's also annoying because of the spare parts thing..

Haddi Taha 12-13-2012 09:46 PM

Decided against either of the SC8's. If I had a big nice smooth local track, just up the road, and good sunny weather at least eight months of the year, I might have thought differently. But at the local rutty hacked up moonscape tracks I run at, my nitro SC8 pretty much sucks compared to buggy and truggy(even buggy is iffy sometimes..) I love my SC8, but it's basically useless for me on the tracks I run at...

I am also................................ displeased... with AE and the whole direction they went with the RC8.2(which I also have..) The car is not what I was led to believe it would be. It's also annoying because of the spare parts thing..
Other than the spare parts thing, anything else bad about a rc8.2e? I was thinking of trying a 1/8 buggy one day and my first option was a rc8.2e factory team kit
<br type="_moz" />

Big Trol 12-15-2012 04:13 PM

You've obviously given this a lot of thought, you have to go with what works for you for sure. I'm researching an 1/8 scale buggy myself. I've always liked AE but, I agree with you on the .2 editions, which is why I'm looking at all the other brands as well. Our local tracks are very well kept, and even in sunny so cal many of them are indoor. My reason for considering a buggy is performance and competition based. The SC truck class is inccreasing in numbers gradualy. But the buggy class has always been strong. Because of the indoor tracks we race all electric, for obvious reasons. I prefer electric. Oh well, have fun anyway.

The Collector1 12-15-2012 04:26 PM

Why dont you get an RC8 off of ebay and convert it to electric? They are pretty cheap, I got one for $120 and the conversion for $50. You might find a converted one on there. I got an SC8E for $170 and a RC8T CE for $150 but had to get a conversion for the T.