RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Brushed to Brushless Motors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11297067-brushed-brushless-motors.html)

gsmith6879 11-14-2012 07:57 AM

Brushed to Brushless Motors

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I have been using the Kyrosho Magnetic Mayhem reverse rotation brushed motors to power an onboard starter system for my Zenoah Gas engines for years. They have always had plenty of power and hold up pretty well under the initial loads of the starter. They run in very short bursts and probably see some serious amp draw upon start-up. I would like to upgrade the power system to one of the brushless motors that the car guys use but after days of reading through the forums, I'm still confused as to what size motor I need. Since I do fly some electric stuff, I know about amps, watts, and KV but just don't know how to get the same power that I currently have with the Magnetic Mayhem.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject or point me to a website or forum that might help?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Gaines

SyCo_VeNoM 11-14-2012 01:12 PM

RE: Brushed to Brushless Motors

well how many turns is the motor? that would be a good place to start

Otherthing I'm assuming since its a starter it just connects straight to the battery thorugh a simple switch if you use a Brushless motor you will need an ESC to power it which will add weight.

gsmith6879 11-14-2012 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

well how many turns is the motor? that would be a good place to start

Otherthing I'm assuming since its a starter it just connects straight to the battery thorugh a simple switch if you use a Brushless motor you will need an ESC to power it which will add weight.
The motor is a 22 turn. I currently use a micro switch to activate the starter but I know I will have to use a ESC for the brushless motor. May end up being too heavy but wanted to look at the options.

phmaximus 11-14-2012 05:55 PM

Cheapest way would be a ezrun 35a combo with a 3300kv motor, They can burst to 190a
Then u could use a servo tester and a micro switch to operate it via a 3rd channel

Now the esc might not like powering up under full throttle, so u would leave it on while running and use the micro switch to power on/off the servo saver... Depending on ur controller u migh be able to run the ESC off the 3rd Chanel directly

Or u could have it manual, use the esc switch to turn on/off the esc, and put a push button on the BEC feed wire from the ESC to the servo saver.

gsmith6879 11-14-2012 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Cheapest way would be a ezrun 35a combo with a 3300kv motor, They can burst to 190a
Then u could use a servo tester and a micro switch to operate it via a 3rd channel

Now the esc might not like powering up under full throttle, so u would leave it on while running and use the micro switch to power on/off the servo saver... Depending on ur controller u migh be able to run the ESC off the 3rd Chanel directly

Or u could have it manual, use the esc switch to turn on/off the esc, and put a push button on the BEC feed wire from the ESC to the servo saver.
OK, that gets me there. I have a fully proportional aux channel for the starter control. Would I be able to use that for the ESC control? Arm the ESC in the off or low position and then when I move the switch to the on or full throttle position the ESC should see a full throttle signal. What do you think?

SyCo_VeNoM 11-14-2012 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: gsmith6879

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

OK, that gets me there. I have a fully proportional aux channel for the starter control. Would I be able to use that for the ESC control? Arm the ESC in the off or low position and then when I move the switch to the on or full throttle position the ESC should see a full throttle signal. What do you think?
that should work if you set it right on the ESC calibration
I think you can disable reverse too to make it easier

phmaximus 11-15-2012 04:04 AM

Might work, some esc won't power up unless the throttle in nuteral. If not it won't use much power been on the whole time...

I've got the same setup and it draws 0.51a at 8.2v when doing nothing but it's also running a reciver, servo, 30mm fan, and a 25mm fan
With a 5500mah 2s lipo that's 75 hours run time

gsmith6879 11-15-2012 05:25 AM

Thanks a lot guys. I'm big into Beta testing my ideas and I think I will buy a smaller/cheaper version of the same brand I intend to use and test the set up with my radio.