RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   ECX Ruckus pinion gear change for increase acceleration? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11375659-ecx-ruckus-pinion-gear-change-increase-acceleration.html)

rwek 01-18-2013 09:18 PM

ECX Ruckus pinion gear change for increase acceleration?

Just got a new Electrix Ruckus. Its my first RC car/truck. I am having a blast with it but am looking for a little more acceleration. I will not be racing it but was told I could change the pinion gear from a 19 tooth to a 20 tooth or possibly a 21 tooth if it doesn't get too hot. This I was told will make a noticeable in it's acceleration. Has anyone done this to this truck or known anyone who has? Baby steps here and work up to possible a BL system down the road. Appreciate any input.

nitrosportsandrunner 01-19-2013 09:00 AM

RE: ECX Ruckus pinion gear change for increase acceleration?

Quote:

ORIGINAL: rwek

Just got a new Electrix Ruckus. Its my first RC car/truck. I am having a blast with it but am looking for a little more acceleration. I will not be racing it but was told I could change the pinion gear from a 19 tooth to a 20 tooth or possibly a 21 tooth if it doesn't get too hot. This I was told will make a noticeable in it's acceleration. Has anyone done this to this truck or known anyone who has? Baby steps here and work up to possible a BL system down the road. Appreciate any input.
understand that increasing the pinion gear size will increase top speed (upto a point) while sacraficing some acceleration.
Doing so also increases the motor temps.

If you do not own a temp gun (like $20 on ebay) then do not go more than 1-2 tooth higher than the stock pinion gear. Going any higher than that, you would need a temp gun to be certain you are not over-heating the motor.

I have the torment. With the stock motor you cannont expect to much more top end.

A 2s 5000mah lipo battery makes a good difference tho. If you dont already have a battery better than the stock one, upgrade your battery 1st.

when you are ready to go brushless, the ezrun 35a, 45a, 60a or leapord 60a systems with 3000-3900kv motors are all good choices (under $100)

rwek 01-19-2013 10:00 AM

I am a little confused. I am looking to increase acceleration, not top speed. I was told by a guy at my LHS that by going up a tooth or two I will see quicker acceleration, not top end. I have read on a HPI site just the opposite, as you have stated. Do I need to go down a tooth for increased acceleration? The Ruckus is stock out of the box with nimh battery. I have upgraded that to a couple of 4200 nimh batteries. I will step up to lipos but since I have gotten this for Christmas I just haven't had time to do everything that can be done to it. One step at a time. I am aware of the increase in temps if I change the gearinig and until Iget a temp guage I use the 5 second test to determine if it is too hot. This Ruckus has a 20t motor. Should have listed that before I guess. Does this change anything regarding the gearing? Appreciate the response.
Quote:

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Quote:

ORIGINAL: rwek

understand that increasing the pinion gear size will increase top speed (upto a point) while sacraficing some acceleration.
Doing so also increases the motor temps.

If you do not own a temp gun (like $20 on ebay) then do not go more than 1-2 tooth higher than the stock pinion gear. Going any higher than that, you would need a temp gun to be certain you are not over-heating the motor.

I have the torment. With the stock motor you cannont expect to much more top end.

A 2s 5000mah lipo battery makes a good difference tho. If you dont already have a battery better than the stock one, upgrade your battery 1st.

when you are ready to go brushless, the ezrun 35a, 45a, 60a or leapord 60a systems with 3000-3900kv motors are all good choices (under $100)

nitrosportsandrunner 01-19-2013 12:25 PM

Ok,
faster acceleration you want Lower tooth count.
Smaller pinion meant the motor can increase its RPMs quicker, as it will take less effort for the motor to turn.

sounds like you already have decent batteries. Lipos will increase the acceleration a good amount, as they have more initial "punch" to give.

Same rules apply when gearing down. 1-2 tooth, maybe 3. dont go more than that without a temp gun. Its possible to Under gear a motor, causing it to spin at max rpms too much of the time. 1-3 tooth will be safe tho.

Lipos will show more marked improvement in acceleration than gearing down. A fully charged 2s lipo puts out 8.4v and at higher amps than a nimh battery.

A pair of gens ace or skylipo 2s 5000mah packs and a thunder AC6 charger will run you $100. But those batts will give you 25-30 minute runtimes.

BKoz559 01-19-2013 01:46 PM

Think back to the 10 speed bicycle you had when you were a kid. Select a lower gear (smaller crank sprocket / larger wheel sprocket) and you can apply more torque because of the reduced drive ratio. You can't go very fast but it's easier to pull your butt uphill or accelerate on level ground.

Go the other direction and select a higher gear (larger crank sprocket / smaller wheel sprocket)and you can achieve higher top speeds but it requires more effort to accellerate and climb. That extra effort wears you out more quickly too.

This same concept works with your RC truck. You can gear lower for more torque and acceleration which, to a point, will allow your battery to last longer or you can gear higher for more top speed, again to a certain point, but your batteries will deplete faster and your electronics will run hotter.

rwek 02-03-2013 02:10 PM

I have changed the pinion gear to an 18 tooth.Makes a great deal of improvement. It is considerably faster than stock out of the box. Will probably leave it as is for now. Still runninig 4200 nimh batteries and am happy with that. Seems that I found what I was looking for. Could try a 17 tooth as I have one not being used at the moment, but I doubt that I will mess with any more.