RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Truggy VS Stadium Truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11592655-truggy-vs-stadium-truck.html)

Nitro Pop 01-05-2014 01:57 PM

Truggy VS Stadium Truck

Seriously, Other than 4wd vs 2wd what is the difference between say, a hyper 10tt and a losi 22T? they have the same basic body, same basic dimensions, same wheel sizes. Why don't they just call it 2wd and 4wd Truggy?

SyCo_VeNoM 01-05-2014 02:49 PM

Stadium trucks have no center differential, and no wing
Plus most 4wd's I seen were more based off of a on-road car design(most not all) like the MT1 was based off the RS4

Truggy has 4wd, center diff, and a wing, and based off a buggy design.

The vehicles wheelbase is also different, and generally the tire too(look at the HPI Bullet ST for more a ST tire pattern, although they can be used on truggies too).

I own 2 4wd ST's, and a few truggies. Trust me when I say they have quite different handling characteristics

But some companies like Exceed like to market ST's as truggies even calling some of their 2wd vehicles truggies...

Nitro Pop 01-05-2014 03:12 PM

i was talking 1/10, and i thought the bullet ST was more of a niche/wildcat design, the hyper 10TT and any REGULAR stadium truck((rustler, t4, dest210, et.)) have the same basic size and style, THE SAME wheels, and the only difference is drive-train 4wd vs 2wd. maybe you can argue some extra wheelbase on the truggy, and nit-pick about truggies having a rear bolt on wing, as opposed to a "built-into-the-body" style. i can't really see any other major differences.

if anyone else has anything to say on this, please do, i hate the fact that it seems that any thread i post get's little to no replies, or it's very slow to get replies, etc. etc.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-05-2014 03:48 PM

The bullet isn't a niche or wildcat design. Its actually an old race design from Hotbodies.

As for how long it takes to get replies that caries either people A don't see your post, B don't know anything about it, or C It doesn't interest them. Couple that with this site slowing down drastically in winter, and how we lost a lot of members when the site had technical issues in the past. Also don't feel bad I've seen posts on video game boards that have probably 10,000X the visitors posting get less replies then some of yours lol

BTW 1/10th ST's I've owned are closer to the size of 1/8th buggies
In all honesty 1/10th SCT's are more closer to 1/10 ST's then truggies IMO.

Sidenote the hyper tt is more of a niche thing as there are very few truggies under 1/8th where HPI has had 3 4wd ST's alone ;)

Mufasa_719 01-05-2014 10:03 PM

You may just have to have one of each in front of you to understand. A truggy and a ST are nothing alike.

phmaximus 01-06-2014 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nitro Pop (Post 11702520)
i was talking 1/10, and i thought the bullet ST was more of a niche/wildcat design, the hyper 10TT and any REGULAR stadium truck((rustler, t4, dest210, et.)) have the same basic size and style, THE SAME wheels, and the only difference is drive-train 4wd vs 2wd. maybe you can argue some extra wheelbase on the truggy, and nit-pick about truggies having a rear bolt on wing, as opposed to a "built-into-the-body" style. i can't really see any other major differences.

if anyone else has anything to say on this, please do, i hate the fact that it seems that any thread i post get's little to no replies, or it's very slow to get replies, etc. etc.

I don't know, just because something has similar wheel base and wheels it does not mean they are similar in any other way....
take the body off and the wheels then start comparing.
u need to realize every rc vehicle has similarities, they all have steering ,suspension, gearbox, dif, motor, battery
the variation of these parts and placement of this cars it what makes them fall into different classes

the hyper tt is nothing like the majority of the 1/10 truggies.... so I don't think its a good comparison... its more like a scaled down 1/8 truggy... in fact that's what ofna were trying for.

things that make them different
size.....generally a Stadium truck is going to be a lot wider and longer than a 1/10 truggy. as a 1/10 truggie is generally a touring car with wider arms and axles
motor placement.......stadium trucks generally have a rear motor setup where truggies are mid mount
gearbox... stadium trucks use a gearbox with an incorporated diff, truggies don't
battery placement... stadium trucks have there battery down the centre line.... truggies don't
Castor.... stadium trucks run a lot more front castor
Anti squat... truggies tend to run more rear antisquat
rear toe... stadium trucks run a lot more rear toe
weight.... stadium trucks are generally lighter
rear wing... stadium trucks use small lexan wings... if any
they actually race stadium trucks
stadium trucks generally have a single plate chassis compared to some of the truggies that run twin plates

here is a old pic of my old collection
the 2nd to bottom row is... Stadium truck (rustler) 1/10 truggie (colt) Stadium truck (losi xxxnt)
http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/...522/103420.jpg

phmaximus 01-06-2014 06:50 AM

generaly speaking a 1/10 truggie has more similarities with touring cars... I cant think of any stadium trucks that shares a single parts with a touring car.... but truggies I can.(nerly everything)

phmaximus 01-06-2014 06:54 AM

ive seen the 4x4 stampede makes a good truggie...and as u can see its nothing like a ruslter
http://www.ultimaterc.com/gallery/al...truggy-001.jpg
http://www.ultimaterc.com/gallery/al...truggy-005.jpg

EXT2Rob 01-08-2014 08:27 AM

I have both an Evader stadium truck, and a Hyper10 TT. The TT is actually SMALLER than the Evader in size, but it weighs a good pound more. And drives WAY different. SHAME on Exceed for calling their 2wd STs "truggies". THat amounts to false advertising. Three differentials is what defines a truggy. If it has 4wd, but only two diffs, it's not a true truggy. It's a 4wd truck.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-08-2014 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11702997)
ive seen the 4x4 stampede makes a good truggie...and as u can see its nothing like a ruslter
http://www.ultimaterc.com/gallery/al...truggy-001.jpg
http://www.ultimaterc.com/gallery/al...truggy-005.jpg

Can't argue that as it does once you throw in the optional center diff.
Actually I'll say the stampeded 4x4 handles great with the center diff in. I threw bullet ST tires on mine with a MT1 shell I had laying around.
Still want to make that wing holder that they made in that pic, and maybe throw a revo wing on it.

EXT2Rob 01-09-2014 02:56 PM

I've seen that Project ShapeShifter on YT. Looks like a kick-ass truggy conversion! Wonder what the total cost of the truck and the conversion comes to? Probably kinda pricey, but hey, parts would be everywhere. Probably a pretty darn stout truck. Love it.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-09-2014 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11706131)
I've seen that Project ShapeShifter on YT. Looks like a kick-ass truggy conversion! Wonder what the total cost of the truck and the conversion comes to? Probably kinda pricey, but hey, parts would be everywhere. Probably a pretty darn stout truck. Love it.

Well honestly I think the center diff is like $30 or so(forgot what I paid).

Tires, body, wing, wing mount parts, and the diff that is about all you need to make it a truggy so cost would vary on what you want, and don't have already. Like in my case I had the body, and tires I also skipped the wing till I decide to not be lazy so to me it was like $30 (well more like $60 cause I originally had a slash 4X4 I swapped over) over the cost of the vehicle. I paid like $120 for my truck as a used complete roller (the back plate needed a $5 replacement as it was broke). So to me I spent like $180 - electronics. Threw a SC8 ESC in it with a $20 HK motor which added about $90 to the total, servo was in the roller already, and had a RX. So it cost me like $270 total.
I wil be honest I originally bought the slash 4X4 as I wanted one, but didn't like it once I had it up and running(I thought its handling was worst then a 77 impala going 80mph on a windy day) so in all respect the $30 I spent on pede parts actually kinda saved me some cash as I had no care to drive the slash as a slash after the mods it handles more to my liking ;)

EXT2Rob 01-10-2014 08:30 AM

So....you converted the Slash to a 'Pede, then made that a truggy by adding the center diff? How did you mount the center diff?
That body looks just like my Hyper TT. But the TT is a good deal smaller than a Slash/'Pede. What body did you use?

SyCo_VeNoM 01-10-2014 08:47 AM

Its a direct replacement for the spur, and slipper piece so there is no mounting it's actually made for the Slash 4x4 by Traxxas http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSM5&P=7 Will say its a tad expensive tough I got mine off ebay from a parted out Slash 4X4 platinum (like I said got it for $30 shipped better then $35 +shipping ;))

I used a HPI MT1 body I had from one of my Nitro HPI MT1's I scrapped for parts I should take a picture of it someday just been way too lazy

stevenator128 01-10-2014 11:09 AM

Typically, a 1/8 truggy is very similar to a 1/8 buggy but in a longer chassis and with a wider stance (arms, links, driveshafts, etc.). Then you get a more stadium truck appearance with the body that covers the shock towers and the wider wheels. So my question is, why is it different for 1/10? I've no experience with them but people are saying 1/10 truggies are smaller than 1/10 stadium trucks. Aren't 1/10 stadium trucks typically just wider versions of their buggy brethren? So why are the truggies smaller?

EXT2Rob 01-10-2014 01:00 PM

Well, I'm just going from my experience, and th vehicles I have. I was just saying that my Ofna/HoBao Hyper TT, supposedly a 1/10th scale, is slightly smaller than my Evader, which is also supposed to be 1/10th scale. And that both of them are smaller than a Traxxas Slash, which is also supposed to be 1/10th scale, but is way bigger than either of them. So what size a given truggy is seems to depend on what platform it's based on. THere's a size for everybody! 8^)

Nitro Pop 01-10-2014 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11707014)
Well, I'm just going from my experience, and th vehicles I have. I was just saying that my Ofna/HoBao Hyper TT, supposedly a 1/10th scale, is slightly smaller than my Evader, which is also supposed to be 1/10th scale. And that both of them are smaller than a Traxxas Slash, which is also supposed to be 1/10th scale, but is way bigger than either of them. So what size a given truggy is seems to depend on what platform it's based on. THere's a size for everybody! 8^)

Originally Posted by stevenator128 (Post 11706912)
Typically, a 1/8 truggy is very similar to a 1/8 buggy but in a longer chassis and with a wider stance (arms, links, driveshafts, etc.). Then you get a more stadium truck appearance with the body that covers the shock towers and the wider wheels. So my question is, why is it different for 1/10? I've no experience with them but people are saying 1/10 truggies are smaller than 1/10 stadium trucks. Aren't 1/10 stadium trucks typically just wider versions of their buggy brethren? So why are the truggies smaller?

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM (Post 11706776)
Its a direct replacement for the spur, and slipper piece so there is no mounting it's actually made for the Slash 4x4 by Traxxas http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSM5&P=7 Will say its a tad expensive tough I got mine off ebay from a parted out Slash 4X4 platinum (like I said got it for $30 shipped better then $35 +shipping ;))

I used a HPI MT1 body I had from one of my Nitro HPI MT1's I scrapped for parts I should take a picture of it someday just been way too lazy

not to get off topic guys, but this thread and my "next big thing in rc" thread are more "just for fun"

if you guys think you could check out my "Need A Charger" thread and/or my "Need A 3 Channel Radio System And Servo" thread it would be much more help to me. HOWEVER thank you for continuing the conversation in this and the "next big thing in rc" thread.

Radio And Servo thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...tem-servo.html

Charger Thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batt...l#post11704005

RCUSEE 01-10-2014 04:12 PM

I tried all kinds of 4wd electric rcs but always came back to stadium trucks because the handling is more fun.
Its more tricky to drive but you'll learn how to.

What are you planning to do with it ? race o bash ?

SyCo_VeNoM 01-10-2014 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by RCUSEE (Post 11707174)
I tried all kinds of 4wd electric rcs but always came back to stadium trucks because the handling is more fun.
Its more tricky to drive but you'll learn how to.

What are you planning to do with it ? race o bash ?

He was more wondering why they just don't call ST's truggies, and what their differences were as he thought they were pretty much the same thing

RCUSEE 01-10-2014 04:39 PM

well maybe i should have read first :P

but then in the end its just spec-names

2wd buggies and 4wd buggies arent really alike also. so why not call stadium trucks - 2wd truggies or call truggies - 4wd Stadium Trucks. Thats just how things evolved...
But in the end it doesnt really matter. there is more important stuff to worry about, id say ;)

stevenator128 01-10-2014 10:22 PM

You're right. Let's never discuss anything unimportant ever again.