RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   snow truck? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11596377-snow-truck.html)

chunt92 03-17-2014 07:01 PM

snow truck?

Whats a good rtr truck to run in the snow?

SyCo_VeNoM 03-17-2014 07:10 PM

I found the Wheely king to run well in the snow 4wd MT, and water proof.

Quite a bit of its plastic too so not as much to rust either.

chunt92 03-17-2014 07:13 PM

thanks, how durable are they?

zackS30 03-17-2014 08:15 PM

How about the summit?
Im not really a traxxas guy however I like the summit.
I think for the most part all plastic will get more brittle in the cold so it could be a bit frail.

nitrosportsandrunner 03-17-2014 08:18 PM

stock wheely king or crawler king and pretty durable...especially since they are not super fast.

my only complaint is that HPI has failed to update the stock steering setup. it uses a over complicated system that basically reduces how strong the steering is and the max steering angle. but for $15 you can buy a plate that allows you to mount the servo over the front axle which makes steering way better.

if you can snag a used Axial AX10 or SCX10 for under $300 then id go that route. but they are hard to find for a reasonable price...everyone seems to think their used rock crawler is worth a ton of money.

SyCo_VeNoM 03-17-2014 08:18 PM

Well depends in its stock brushed form its pretty decent, but when you throw a brushless system in the transmission has issues, and crap breaks. We had one guy that used to post here that got custom metal gears machined for his WK's tranny threw a ludicrous brushless system in. jumped his pickup truck, and royally broke it.

Basically mild jumps where it gets like 1-2 feet off the ground its fine if you plan on huge air no it won't last long at all.

But it does extremely well in snow cause it has large tires, 4wd, and solid axles

Its a tad top heavy though as its designed to primarily pop wheelies

SyCo_VeNoM 03-17-2014 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner (Post 11762470)
stock wheely king or crawler king and pretty durable...especially since they are not super fast.

my only complaint is that HPI has failed to update the stock steering setup. it uses a over complicated system that basically reduces how strong the steering is and the max steering angle. but for $15 you can buy a plate that allows you to mount the servo over the front axle which makes steering way better.

if you can snag a used Axial AX10 or SCX10 for under $300 then id go that route. but they are hard to find for a reasonable price...everyone seems to think their used rock crawler is worth a ton of money.

won't disagree
specially the SCX10's the price for them used is ludicrous usually more then they are new. Its like OK SURE I'll PAY YOU $70 EXTRA FOR ABUSING THE VEHICLE TO HIGH HELL, AND PUTTIN WEAR AND TEAR ON IT... Or how they try and ask for a bare stock roller more then the kits go for...

nitrosportsandrunner 03-17-2014 08:46 PM

the stock crawler king tires are decent. personally id pay the extra $20 for the crawler version.

you know what else does good in the snow...1/8 scale MOA crawlers.
my custom 1/8 mad torque did well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZoW-OnVgQ
and ive had a redcat 1/8 rockslide that had even taller tires and 4 wheel steering. massive tires plus lots of ground clearance works well in the snow.

chunt92 03-17-2014 08:55 PM

I have looked at the summit but cost as much as my flux does not sure if i want to put that much in it? It is water proof/ resistant? not sure? 300 range would b cool. I've got an xtm x crawler but 55 turn two cell lipos way to slow and not water proof/resistant. and by the looks at the gears inside i dont think it could handle a brushless set up. an old clod buster with a clodzilla conversion doesnt have the ground clearance.also not water resistant.

nitrosportsandrunner 03-17-2014 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by chunt92 (Post 11762488)
I have looked at the summit but cost as much as my flux does not sure if i want to put that much in it? It is water proof/ resistant? not sure? 300 range would b cool. I've got an xtm x crawler but 55 turn two cell lipos way to slow and not water proof/resistant. and by the looks at the gears inside i dont think it could handle a brushless set up. an old clod buster with a clodzilla conversion doesnt have the ground clearance.also not water resistant.

a older brushed emaxx would do almost as well as a more expensive summit. only advantage the summit has is the lockable diffs...but then its not really meant for crawling IMO.

so you already have a big MOA crawler? most stock MOAs are geared too slow to move threw snow.
3 ways around this.....lower turn motors (if you ESC will allow for it) larger pinion gears (if your motor mount has adjustment for it) or a outcry duel motor ESC. t
hat is what I had in my 1/5 custom mad torque crawler. that esc has several nice features, the main one being the abilitly to run a 3 or even 4s lipo! I found that 3s added enough wheel speed for snow/ice/wet rocks ect. And that truck had I think 70turn brushed motors. that esc is $60 and well worth it imo. it isn't waterproof, but easy enough to make a waterproof box for it. honestly, I just slapped tape over the top of it for snow use.

zackS30 03-17-2014 09:04 PM

I got my scx10 new for 315$
It can be done!
Waterproofing can be simple with some balloons or some plasti-dip (so ive read)

chunt92 03-17-2014 09:15 PM

ok say I use the x crawler ive got two castle creation sidewinder sv2's and two 6000 something kv motors out of my clod. if the tranny can handle the power what would be a good way to water proof the esc. short of putting it in a project box ?

zackS30 03-17-2014 09:24 PM

Either tie a balloon around the esc or buy some plasti-dip and watch some vids on youtube... 6000kv sounds pretty high.