RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Aluminium or Nylon wheels ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11596540-aluminium-nylon-wheels.html)

jadash13 03-22-2014 03:47 AM

Aluminium or Nylon wheels ?

Hi,

I am looking for wheels for my large vehicle. ( GEARS-SMP )

Wheel + tire height should be around 17cm (~6.7").

The vehicle will be moving slow, will carry 20kg (~44 lb) max and may have falls up to 20cm (~7.87").

Trencher X 3.8" (Traxxas Style Bead) All Terrain Tires Mounted look great, but I worry if it can handle the weight and the falls.

So, should I go with aluminium wheels instead ? Are they tougher ?

I am worried that nylon could break during a competition. In the contrast aluminium wheels would just bend and endure another 20 minutes, so I can change them after.

Also, aluminium wheels suggestions are kindly welcome.

Sorry if that's a lot of questions.

Thanks in advance,
John.

phmaximus 03-22-2014 06:27 PM

With the right nylon wheels u won't have any problems. I'm thinking 1/5 nylon bead lock wheels are going to be the strongest option.
for example the losi 5ive is 17kg and think of the abuse they get...

20kg sounds very heavy. If u can get it lighter u will able to use a bigger variety of wheels more suited to low speeds with higher traction
Is that the exact chassis u are using or are u making your own??

jadash13 03-23-2014 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11766046)
With the right nylon wheels u won't have any problems. I'm thinking 1/5 nylon bead lock wheels are going to be the strongest option.
for example the losi 5ive is 17kg and think of the abuse they get...

20kg sounds very heavy. If u can get it lighter u will able to use a bigger variety of wheels more suited to low speeds with higher traction
Is that the exact chassis u are using or are u making your own??

Thanks for answering.

I already have the chassis in the link. Probably I could go down to 16kg to respect chassis's manufacturer recommendations.
Losi 5ive seems very tough. Have you any wheels recommendation ?

phmaximus 03-23-2014 02:34 AM

What's wrong with the manufactures wheels???

what type of mounting system do they have?

jadash13 03-23-2014 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11766198)
What's wrong with the manufactures wheels???

what type of mounting system do they have?

I don't know if wheel material is tough enough. Also, I want to replace the tires with higher traction ones. In any case I will need spare wheels and tires, so I think it would be better to opt out for better quality ones.

As for mounting system, it uses these hubs http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1980730 with dimensions:
  • 17mm across the hex flats
  • 1/4" through bore
  • 0.470" OD
  • #10-24 set screw
  • 3/4"L x M12 x 1.25 pitch

which are mounted directly to the motor shaft. (Motors will change probably, too)

phmaximus 03-23-2014 08:29 PM

Hummm that's a standard 1/8 rc mounting size..... I just don't know if the 17mm wheels are going to be strong enough.
can u get a 24mm hex?

jadash13 03-23-2014 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11766851)
Hummm that's a standard 1/8 rc mounting size..... I just don't know if the 17mm wheels are going to be strong enough.
can u get a 24mm hex?

I will have to change them either way, because different motors will have different shaft .

phmaximus 03-28-2014 03:14 AM

im assuming the motors have a gear reduction gearbox on the end, are they part of the motors?

jadash13 03-28-2014 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11770426)
im assuming the motors have a gear reduction gearbox on the end, are they part of the motors?

I think it's something like this: http://www.gearseds.com/encoder_motor.html

phmaximus 03-28-2014 06:59 PM

so what was the problem?

jadash13 03-28-2014 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11770978)
so what was the problem?

Do you mean what is the problem with the motors ? I am looking for brushless ones.

phmaximus 03-29-2014 07:47 AM

Don't go brushless unless u plan to spend out big for sensored motors.... Sensorless motors have a minimum running speed. So at very low speeds they are not preportional, it's on or off and can make smooth transitions from rocks to dirt impossible

phmaximus 03-29-2014 07:48 AM

Do u have one of those kits u linked in the first post or are u making a custom one?

jadash13 03-29-2014 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11771189)
Don't go brushless unless u plan to spend out big for sensored motors.... Sensorless motors have a minimum running speed. So at very low speeds they are not preportional, it's on or off and can make smooth transitions from rocks to dirt impossible

I will probably go for brushless because the vehicle will carry sensitive equipment and I want efficiency (battery-powered). I don't expect them to be cheap, but thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by phmaximus (Post 11771192)
Do u have one of those kits u linked in the first post or are u making a custom one?

I have the full kit , but I will change wheels/tires , motors and the box will have some additions/modifications.