RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11600275-help.html)

zackS30 06-13-2014 07:29 PM

help

I was out running my exo Terra for the first time in 4-5 months. I just got a zippy 3s lipo and charged it and did some heavy fast running. Loose dirt, gravel, sand, grass, concrete, up hill a couple times at a 60° angle.
My motor reads 152°f and my ESC is 135°f its geared 13/52. Using a hobby wing sc8 and ezrun 2700kv 4pole 4065 those temps just seem a bit high. Its about 95° the motor ESC and batt have no over head air flow bcuz it has the scale interior on it (I'm going to take that off tonight).

I for sure ran on every terrain I had available to me and ran it fairly hard. I wasn't pinning the throttle the whole time either. The only time I went full throttle was on flat concrete doing maybe 10 speed runs.

I should probably not be so hard on it and take the interior off u think???

If anyone else has a suggestion I'm all ears or eyes I guess.... I have given good thought to getting the traxxas velineon system and putting the sc8 and ezrun in my scx10 or a wraith.
So electronic swap isn't out of the ?

collector1231 06-13-2014 08:30 PM

Did you check for binding in the diffs and gearbox? My MERV had that problem and heated up fast.

Maj_Overdrive 06-13-2014 10:13 PM

The Traxxas Velineon is a 2 pole motor and I believe (could be wrong) is 3650 in size. Either way your 4 pole 4065 should be more powerful and able to pull higher gearing and run cooler than a Velineon. Your motor and esc should be about perfect for the EXO and definitely better than the Velineon. You also don't seem to be geared too high, if I'm right about the tires being approx 4.5" tall you're geared for 35mph.

The he only thing that jumps out at (and bothers me) is the 95F ambient temp and that you have no airflow over the motor.

zackS30 06-14-2014 08:07 AM

Collector, there's no binding that I've noticed. Other than a bad right rear wheel bearung .

I didn't know that about the velineon, I've just seen a few guys running that system so I thought it would b OK. I'm going to take the interior off so it will get air and see how it goes.

EXT2Rob 06-17-2014 06:13 AM

That motor temp doesn't seem to bad to me for a 95 degree air temp. But yeah, air flow will really help. You need SOME airflow in there!

zackS30 06-17-2014 05:48 PM

I live in Arizona so right now its 104 and I think that if I ran it my exo would just ignore me and drive to the shade and not move anymore lol

EXT2Rob 06-20-2014 06:58 AM

HA HA HA HA! :D No kidding!

You know what's interesting...if you have an infra-red thermometer, look at the GROUND temp. My buddy & I were racing on my track, air temp was about 90F, but the ground temp measured 117F! That's a warm day in BAGDHAD, and is the environment you car is really running in. So yikes, if the air temp was 104, ground temp would probably be like 130! I'D be crawling to the shade and refusing to run!

zackS30 06-21-2014 04:42 PM

For real. I was driving just now and its 109° and I wanted to drive my real car into some shade.