RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Rc brushless rustler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/11603126-rc-brushless-rustler.html)

[email protected] 08-22-2014 03:07 AM

Rc brushless rustler

Im new to brushless. had brushed couple years. just got rustler last year. vxl. heat was always an issue mainly because old v.1 motor with vxl esc. sold it. only ran it like 5 times.

I was set on getting a 550 motor for offroad til I finally got it through my head it was a bad idea. considering tenshock motors will give the guy what he wants without dangerous amounts of torque. awesome. I know there are some 550 motors that you can use like novak but I like tenshock because ive heard lots of good things about them. never heard as many good things about them as I had tenshock.

been researching brushless found out everything from kv rating, amperatge, torque, lipo cells, but haven't found 1 thin the Y rating .what the Heck is it!!! Castles 1410 is 1Y and tenchock is 5y. whatever it is tenshocks got 5 more.?????????

tenshock I would say has the best ratings. for amperage/ watts/ voltage input amazing! compared to castle. I thought castle was the best but nope. definitely buying tenshock most likely 3400 becase I run offroad. got all offroad tires so yeah.

anyway I intent on running castle 1/8 sidewinder with tenshock 3400 motor with 4s: 2 side by side packs.

reason castle 8 in rustler is because I want waterproof, 1 year warranty, castle link, and 90 amps should be plenty right.
any thoughts/ advice before I throw money around would be appreciated

Maj_Overdrive 08-22-2014 06:20 PM

Brushless motors have copper wires that make up the windings in the can of the motor. Well the wire is "wound" in a pattern to make the windings and these patterns are referred to as "Y" which is short for Wye or "D" which is short for Delta. Generally Y windings are more efficient than D windings. The number of windings (or turns if you're talking brushed motors) determines the Kv of a particular motor. Some motor manufacturers like Castle/Neu will tell you .5Y, 1Y, 2.5Y, 3D, etc to describe the the type of windings and how many turns there are. 1Y is one complete "turn" in the Y pattern.

As I said Y is a bit more efficient than D but other than that it's not something you really need to be concerned about. Also not all 1Y (for example) motors have the same Kv. A Neu 1515 1Y is 2200kv but the longer 1518 1Y is 1800kv. Different manufacturers with the same 1Y windings will be different as well since wire thickness, rotor length, proximity of rotor to windings and god knows what else, all effect kv. Depending on the mfg and motor size, sometimes you won't have a choice between Y or D if you need a specific kv. Have a look at the motor chart on Neu motors to see what I mean.

EXT2Rob 08-25-2014 07:07 AM

"anyway I intent on running castle 1/8 sidewinder with tenshock 3400 motor with 4s: 2 side by side packs. "

WHAT?? Dude, that is WAY WAY more power than you will EVER be able to use in a three-and-a-half pound 2wd Rustler! You'd be wasting your money. Trust me.
I had a Sidewinder Sv2 w/1415 5700kv motor in my Evader, same as your Rustler, on 2S, and it was more than the chassis and tires (and gears) could handle. Unless you're just going for top speed runs on pavement, in straight lines, putting a system intended for a 6lb 8th scale buggy in a 3.5lb 2wd stadium truck would be like putting a Veyron motor in a Pinto.

BKoz559 08-25-2014 07:18 AM

Yeah guy, reconsider that 1/8 / 550 motor system for your Rustler. The Sidewinders are popular and a relative bargain among the main-stream brands. I have been more biased towards Viper products and less so towards Castle in general. I'd say look towards a 1/10 system with a 4-pole 4-5000KV motor. Run it on 3S if you really want some insane speed but on 2S your car won't be a turd.

Maj_Overdrive 08-25-2014 08:31 AM

The OP had another thread where he was talking about putting a 550 or 1/8 motor in his Rustler. I tried to talk him out of it but I guess he's still stuck on having a way overpowered Rustler that would be undrivable on dirt. I've seen guys try to run similar systems in a Rustler for general bashing and snap MIP cvd's but if that's what he wants...

BKoz559 08-25-2014 12:38 PM

I came across a YouTube vid of a guy who was running either a 550 or an 1/8 in the back of a heavily modified Rustler. He was pumping at least 4S through it. He changed the spur/pinion to 32P or maybe MOD1 but I believe the internals were still 48P. He used foam tires and made a front bumper that stuck straight out to act as an air splitter. Anyhow, he did exceed 100mph on pavement. It was kind of a one trick pony. I'll post it if I come across it again.

If the OP follow through, his truck would look like your "Rat Fink" icon. Flames and all.