RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Electric drag racing (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/1351816-electric-drag-racing.html)

studysession 12-14-2003 02:40 PM

Electric drag racing

Does anyone here have an electric RC dragster? If so i want to see pics. If anyone has links to sites that sell them, that would be good as well.

bryanb 12-14-2003 06:00 PM

RE: Electric drag racing

they have really good ones at

www.bolink.com

studysession 12-14-2003 06:05 PM

I thought Bolink was going out of business. They were first place I thought of. Then went and called a few places and they said not able to get some of the Bolink stuff because they are stopping making RC cars.

Fastcar 12-15-2003 09:21 AM

Go to www.grandmotorsports.com They sell electric drag cars.
Go to www.northstar-speedshop.com
and www.teamwalbern.com

Check out my site for a couple pics. www.freewebs.com/fastcar

Then check out the IEDA/RC DRAGS SITE AND FORUM
www.rcdrags.com
www.ieda-dragracing.com

topfuel101 12-29-2004 01:21 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: studysession

Does anyone here have an electric RC dragster? If so i want to see pics. If anyone has links to sites that sell them, that would be good as well.
in reply to that question i have 1 which i bought from radio shack. now before u start laughing the thing is amazing. it runs on 2 7.2 volt batterie packs and goes about 50kmph. i am a noob so i dont no much but it is a great begginner car. obviously people on tis site arent gonna be driving radio shack cars but it is nice and its fast

_iceman_ 12-29-2004 02:55 AM

Links to other forums are not allowed - sorry.

45mph pede 12-29-2004 11:51 AM

That radio shack car does sound pretty cool. My LHS has an awsome electric dragster for sale. Its used, but its all carbonfyber and titanum, and runs on 4-12cells. Its realy cool lookin'. I see who makes it for you.
-Wes

cossie 12-29-2004 12:03 PM

i dont actually have a proper electric drag car but i sometimes use my tc3 to cover 60m runnin a 19spec on 6 cells timed at 2.7 i think

WackoWasko 12-29-2004 01:27 PM

can I convert my delphi to a dragster with the right motor + esc?

45mph pede 12-29-2004 02:04 PM

Trinity makes some nice 'drag motors' but they require alot of maintnece. Thats why you dont see many electric dragsters. I think you will see a rebirth of electric dragsters as brushless motors become more afordable, but as for now, you can eather sink 250-500$ into a brushless system or sink 300$ into a brushed system that requires constant comm cuts and new brushes ever 2 runs. You can realy make anything into a dragster with the right tools and electronic's.
-Wes

studysession 12-29-2004 02:07 PM

45mph pede -
From what you have posted, I take it you are not real familiar with electric dragsters or are you?

45mph pede 12-29-2004 02:14 PM

Not realy, I've seen some of race's at my local hobby shop, and have asked those guys a few questions about them, but other than that I realy have limmited knolige about um'.
-Wes

studysession 12-29-2004 02:53 PM

Cool -

You will find that brushless has a lot of limitations when it comes into electric drag racing. People use it, but a good brushed motor will beat it most of the time. If a brushless wins in a drag - means the other guy did not have a very good setup.

Now keep this in mind - :Dall I run is brushless in most of my cars. I prefer brushless over anything else. In most all other racing - with a good brushless it will beat most anything else. But not in RC drag racing until the change how a brushless controller works. That is just how it is.

The technical details on why is to much for writing out here.;)

aliens8mycow 12-29-2004 03:55 PM

I would agree that there will need to be some new products put to market before brushless drag racing goes anywhere. A lot of hard core drag racers use micro switches instead of esc's, which work great for a brushed motor, but (while one may exist) I haven't seen or heard of one that's going to work with a brushless motor.

studysession 12-29-2004 03:58 PM

Yeah -
People use brushless in electric drag racing - I am not doubting that. But Grandmotorsports.com - they are doing 85MPh in 1.61 seconds with a brushed motor. [sm=bananahead.gif]

45mph pede 12-29-2004 04:00 PM

How much $$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Wes

studysession 12-29-2004 04:02 PM

Not cheap -
http://www.grandmotorsports.com/

Look at their brushed motors.:eek:[X(]

bronx boy 01-19-2005 09:35 PM

hey try this my b3 fac team with my 7 turn and lrp pro esc i got the widest lowest tire i could with a rrp lightend slipper 14 toth pinion this is closest thing to a drag racer ive found it flyes you got to see it

sleepy23 01-19-2005 10:38 PM

how fast is flies???? no offense, but like in studys brushless thread, alot of ppl claim to be fast, but few can prove it.

vince newton 01-19-2005 10:49 PM

Brushless is still kind of a new technology in drag racing... most everyone is running a brushed motor. How fast? It all depends on the class you are running. The sportsman motors are basic ferrite magnet motors, with a 95.00 price limit (within the rules). They are very complex little modifieds, its no easy task taking one of these and sending it down the 132 with only 6 batteries in less than 2 seconds, it take A LOT of tuning. When it comes to the professional motors, we run cobalt or neo magnets, 2, 4, and 6 mag configuarations. Each will make a little different power band and different amounts of torque, but higher is not always better.

I'm sure brushless will come eventually, but for now the reason I beleive the brushed endbell motors are still the ticket is because of the extreme tuneablity. I dont know that much about a brushless motor, but overall isnt the design pretty "fixed", I mean, not open to a lot of tuning opitions? We deal with winds, spring tention, brush material and size, amp draw and timing, and if its not exactly where how it needs to be set, then you are going to loose the race, its that close. More often than not, LESS than a .10th of a second is the difference in going to the next round, and going home.

If anyone is intrested in knowing more about drag racing, please feel free to email me and I'll help as much as I can to see new faces join in, thats how I got here. We really have a great thing going on...

Vince Newton
1.832 78.56 IEDA Pro Truck Record Holder 2004

studysession 01-20-2005 05:43 AM

Brushless motor you do not need to tune all those options. All your tuning is done from the ESC settings & number of cells and so forth....

vince newton 01-20-2005 09:06 AM

Gotcha, so then the brushless will be very limited if you need to tune by number of cells, being that all classes but one have a maximum cell limit.

Super Gas - 6
Pro Eliminator - 8
Pro Mod - 10
Funny Car - 10
Top Fuel - 12
Extreme - Unlimited

studysession 01-20-2005 10:35 AM

I also said it is tuned by the ESC. You have loads of tuning options. # of cells just determine the RPM by the kv on the motor.

DragonRail 01-20-2005 12:31 PM

Currently, Brushless systems lack the "punch" needed for RC Drag Racing. There are a few that can now handle the current spike that a 6 mag cobalt motor sends during startup. (180 amps). I have tried several different systems on my 20 cell rail and none have even come close. I am waiting for the day when a brushless system can push my rail into the 1.5 sec ET range. It will make getting the car ready between rounds allot easier.

studysession 01-20-2005 12:49 PM

It has nothing to do with handling the punch. Brushless can handle that fine.

It is the startup routine is what delays everything. An electric drag race is over in less than 2 seconds. This is for brushed or brushless - this is also why people with brushed motors do not use ESC's when drag racing which you have to use one with brushless.

Before your ESC starts turning your motor - it has to check to see the position of the armiture, how far was the throttle pulled on the TX and many other things before it ever starts moving the motor. By the time it starts to go the other person that is using a Micro Switch is almost finished the race. That is the reason they use micro switches - instant on, no thought, full power, just go, no ESC. You just can not do that with brushless.

It has nothing to do with handling the punch. I have ESC's that can handle the punch without a problem. Just that hole startup routine makes it not a good option for drag racing.