RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Super Clod Buster Build-up Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/4698553-super-clod-buster-build-up-thread.html)

Barber420 01-06-2009 06:09 PM

RE: Super Clod Buster Build-up Thread

Looks like you get about 1-2" more travel than I do with my swaybars hooked up. It looks like it probably does pretty well crawling eh? Thanks for the pic, it'll give me something to compare mine to once I finally get shocks on it. If you're getting ~30mph with one 7.2v battery than I should probably get good enough speed for what I want out of two 19T motors then. Hopefully with 19T's I'll still have enough low end to do some crawling too, until I get my crawl specific motors.:D That's a bummer about not being able to triangulate the top links.:eek: At least I don't have to try it now though!:)

86waterpumper 01-06-2009 09:44 PM

I was already figuring on 19T Trinity Acornite motors as they seemed to be the cheapest and Trinity is a name I trust. Aren't the Acornite motors single wind though? It seems like a double or triple wind would be the best in the Clod for some better torque.
Single wind motors have more punch on the bottom end, and torque than do double and triple winds. I think the acornite is a pretty good choice, especially since it's ball bearing equipped too, unlike some of the other 19 turns. I don't think also you would want something like a komodo or cobalt etc since those are more rpm based and would probably not last as good. I think a 19 turn or 17 turn would be a pretty good choice for the clod, and if it got boring or slow you could always just run 14.4 volts through it. One thing is for sure, and that is that I'd stay away from crap like those venom motors. They will burn up quick in a clod I'm sure lol :D

Barber420 01-06-2009 10:06 PM

Yeah, I think I'm going with the Trinity's if I have to get adjustable timing. I know they're good motors, my buddy had one. I've got an LRP 17T double wind in my 10T and I think that's probably just a little less torque than I want in the Clod so hopefully two 19T single winds in it will run pretty quick and have enough power to go through whatever. Also, I was planning on running 16.8 volts in it. I was just glad to here that he said two 17T's in parallel on 7.2v will go 30mph. I'm assuming my two 19T's with 14.4 or 16.8 in parallel should be going about 35-40mph!:D

I definitely stay away from Venom anything. I've seen how their batteries act and I've heard bad stuff about the motors. I was looking at Trinity, Epic, Team Checkpoint, Reedy, and LRP. I've seen most of these in action over the years and I know they're all good motors in general. I've never used Team Checkpoint, but I've never heard a bad word about it, only good.

I think this Clod should turn out to be pretty awesome and a good all around truck that accels at most driving styles. I hope to MAYBE have it driving in Mock Up form for a test or two;) this weekend, but it all depends if I can order my ESC tomorrow and get express delivery.:eek:

Lunchboxer 01-06-2009 11:25 PM

Let us know when you can hit 30mph in a Clod! I would like to see a video of that!! That should be cool!

Barber420 01-06-2009 11:28 PM

I'm just going by what Soilwork said his will do. I don't think I'll have any problems hitting 30mph+ though in the future once I've fully finished this build, but that'll be a few months probably. I'm kind of contemplating just getting a BL setup for racing it around and bashing and a simple brushed setup for crawling. That would be fun!!!;):D

Lunchboxer 01-06-2009 11:37 PM

You should try dual BL.. that should be interesting!

Barber420 01-07-2009 12:57 AM

I'm sure I will eventually. I think two Novak Havoc systems would probably do well. I think that comes with 8.5 motors. As I said though, that's a ways off. I'm sure by the time I go BL my "Clod" won't even have the factory axles left. I'll probably have solid aluminium by then!!:) I just can't wait to get the few more parts I need and drive this thing. It's been taunting me since Christmas!!!![sm=bananahead.gif]

Barber420 01-07-2009 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Soilwork - I just got my Thunder Tech Racing steering kit and servo mount today. I'm having some issues with it though. This kit was obviously not designed for parallel four link racing chassis'(like our EBR chassis'), but the site failed to mention that.:eek: I'm having issues with my steering arms on the hub hitting the lower link at full droop, the kit makes you put the axle steering arms at the rear of the axle as opposed to the front like stock and the arms hit the lower links at full droop. Secondly, the ackerman correcting arms on the kit hit my hardware/rod end on my upper link where it mounts to the axle. I think I can make this kit work perfectly for rear steer however. All I should have to do is put a very slight bend in the lower link to solve the full droop issue and quite frankly having my upper link hardware act as a steering stop will probably be a blessing in the rear and keep me from flipping it easily while turning.

Anyway, long story short, what did you use for your front steering kit and did you have any issues you had to work out? It looks like you're using one of CPE's front kits, but I'm not sure. Could you post a link to the kit you used? I would really appreciate it.

I'll post a link to the kit I used and some pics of my problems just so people can find this in the future and no of the possible issues.

www.thundertechracing.com/bumper.htm - this is the kit I bought and it's a great piece, but unfortunately wasn't designed to work properly in my situation.

SOILWORK 01-07-2009 06:41 PM

Call Darren up at Thunder Tech and explain your situation , Darren is a great guy to deal with and will take the time to answer any questions you will have. As for the system I am using, you are correct. I am using the CPE system. Here are the links to the parts you need. You will need to drill a hole in the axle brace.

http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...4319a57f6874c6

http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...4319a57f6874c6

Another alternative for a steering set up would be the New Era setup.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=2194

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...=&part_id=2191

Barber420 01-07-2009 07:19 PM

I've been looking at it some more and I think the main issue is that Eric(Eric Beach of EBR) puts SO MUCH castor in his setup. While it will help steering generally, it's screwing me on my steering at the moment.:eek::) I don't think it will be long before this chassis is an EBR/NBR(Nick Barber Racing:)) one off unit.:D I've already done some modifications to the chassis to make a wider variety of bodies fit and clean it up some. Now I think I'm just going to make my own 4 links and reduce some of the castor to remedy my steering issue. I've got to say, this is my first custom build, building all of this custom stuff with parts coming from all different sorts of manufacturers sure makes things interesting!:) I've modded my RC's plenty, but I'm new to this way of using stock axles and building/buying everything else from scratch. It's a lot more fun, but a lot more frustrating!:D[:@] I just want to drive this stupid thing!!!!!!:) Hopefully, I'll be driving it soon, because if it takes too much longer it will have taken me a month to get to drive it, and when it comes to my RC's I don't have that kind of patience!:) Thanks for the reply Soilwork.

SOILWORK 01-07-2009 07:30 PM

Just have some patience and it will come out ok. It took me 5 months to get my EBR from a bare chassis to fully functional. Buying parts piece by piece and fitting them together is a lot of fun and there are so many options out there.:D

Barber420 01-07-2009 07:48 PM

All I really have left to do is buy my ESC and shock rod ends to fit the balls on the links. I should buy some shocks dedicated to the Clod, but I'm just going to run my Integy's off of my LB for a start. I've got to at least get it running and put it through its paces so I can tear it all apart again and finish it in perfect condition. As I've said before, right now I'm only in the mock up phase of building. It's a "bad"(actually good) habit I have of building stuff from doing custom 1:1 cars. I just hope to at least get to run one battery pack through it by the middle of next week. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to order my ESC today, but hopefully tomorrow. Once I get that I SHOULD be off and running!:D

Barber420 01-08-2009 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright! I won a brand new Novak Super Duty ESC on ebay for $90(same price as a reman'd unit from Novak)!!!:D I'm getting closer to being able to drive this beast! Hopefully, the ESC will be to me by Saturday or Monday. I put my Integy shocks from my LB on the Clod late last night out of boredom. Took my sway bar and cantilever off so I could steal the rod ends to put on my LB shocks. Looks good, but I'm definitely not going to use the stock shock mounting setup. It limits my suspension WAY too much. I guess I'm going to have to order some of those aluminium clamps for mine like Soilwork has. Soilwork where did you get those? Have you had any issues with them slipping? Also, do you have any video of your Clod in action? I'd like to see some video so I know how this chassis acts with 17T's, 95mm shocks, and no swaybars. Here are some more recent pics of mine. Make sure to notice my ridiculously limited suspension travel due to the short shocks!:) I'm pretty sure I'd blow them out on the first big jump!:D

86waterpumper 01-08-2009 03:58 PM

Looks good man! So you are just going to run silvercans for now?

Barber420 01-08-2009 04:12 PM

Yeah. I plan on getting motors sooner than later, but I want everything else, including rear steer, to be finished before I worry about that. The silvercans will get me around just fine for the next few weeks or so. I figure I've got to drop about another $100-200 before I worry about changing motors. Besides, it'll probably be good to learn how the truck acts with the silvercans before upgrading to faster motors.:D Oh, and to all that have commented on the build thus far, thanks for the kind words.[8D]

86waterpumper 01-08-2009 05:21 PM

You wil have to post that up on rcmt.net when you get done, they are big on custom clods and such like that!

Barber420 01-08-2009 06:06 PM

I would, but you can't post pictures as easily on that forum as you can here. You have to use photobucket or a similar program and I don't want to screw around with that. I do read post on their though, and have gotten lots of good information. I just wish more people went on their and made posts. It's a really low population forum.

86waterpumper 01-09-2009 09:39 AM

Yeah you are right! Really really slow on there, and I think the reason is that alot of the custom guys go there, and pullers etc, so it's a small niche. I only go there like once every two months, because as you say there are never any new posts, that is what keeps me coming back to this forum it's so active! There are some sick builds there though...did you see this thing someone posted? check out the jugg...

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...orny/?start=40

Barber420 01-09-2009 03:20 PM

Wow! That thing is beautiful! I like to bash my RC's a little too rough to get into all of that awesome scale detail. I'd have all my hundreds of hours of hard work broken on the first run!:) I've thought about doing it, but it'll probably be someting I get into in 20 years when I'm retired. Someone on RCMT did a sweet Grave Digger scale build too. It was ridiculous.

Soilwork - Any answers to the questions I posted about your suspension earlier?

SOILWORK 01-09-2009 06:16 PM

I havn't had any problems with the clamp type mounts slipping. What I did was wrap some heat shrink tubing around the link so the clamps would not slip. You will need clamps that are 3/16. I got my clamps from Bret at CPE, you can call him and see if he has any left. Radio shack carries them in the proper size. If I start to have problems with them slippng, I will go to a locking type collar Such as the one below.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=56275642

Barber420 01-09-2009 07:39 PM

Those clamps you posted the link for definitely don't look like they'd slip!:) I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems with yours. Also, thanks for telling me the size. I don't have calipers and measuring with a tape measure on a round object isn't exactly real accurate.:eek::) That's awesome to hear that radio shack sells them. What do they call them at Radio Shack? I don't want to have to go around with the clerk to have him figure out what I need. Are the radio shack clamps ready to install the shocks on, or do I have to make mounts on the clamp to get the shock to bolt to it? Thanks for all of the help Soilwork!! You're knowledge and experience with the EBR setup is saving me lots of time and headaches I'd have otherwise had to deal with!:D I'm glad you did it first!!;):)

SOILWORK 01-09-2009 09:16 PM

THe mounts are ready to be installed onto the links without any modification. They come in a bag of asorted sizes. There are 4 of the 3/16 size and 4 of the 1/4 size and 4 of the 5/8 size.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103305

hmvwgunner50 01-10-2009 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here are a few pics of the esp lift. before and after.

SOILWORK 01-10-2009 10:09 AM

Another thing on my EBR setup that I forgot to mention is if you are going to set yours up as I did, then you need to reverse the links so that the ball is closest to the frame. This will prevent the ball from interfaring with the clamp style mount.

Nice clod, hmvwgunner50. I still need to build myself an all stock clod!!

lbshelfqueen 01-10-2009 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i fitted lift kits to both my stock clod busters.. and my chrome will get a set as will my second bullhead.

it means you can build the shocks up without the rubber tubing to get more travel