RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Best upgrades for rustler VXL (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7213958-best-upgrades-rustler-vxl.html)

arcticcatwill 03-12-2008 02:19 PM

Best upgrades for rustler VXL

What are some cheap and good upgrades for a rustler VXL. I am tight on cash so the cheaper(price wise) the better. I was thinking a battery 3000+ mAh? any other suggestions?

arcticcatwill 03-13-2008 05:15 AM

RE: Best upgrades for rustler VXL

anyone???

MT 03-13-2008 07:33 AM

You didn't state how much you are wanting to spend. That said, don't buy cheap batteries, they are a waste of money. What is your car not doing well, that makes you want to "upgrade" it? Be more specific and people will respond. Lastly, 'cheap' and 'good' don't usually go hand in hand, it is one or the other.

haole 03-13-2008 08:10 AM

If you have bad batteries then i would invest in some good batteries. Thats probably the best upgrade you can get. After that I would just upgrade things as they break, especially if your on a cheap budget. When your shocks start to blow out then get some big bores. When you break some arms, replace them with stronger rpm arms etc... i hear the only aluminum upgrade to get is caster blocks. .get a wide bumber if you dont already have one

Advil 03-13-2008 01:14 PM

For protection, get an RPM bumper.

As far as batteries, I agree with the posters above. You will notice a BIG difference when using a quality battery.

arcticcatwill 03-13-2008 02:28 PM

I haven't bought it yet just wanted to know when I feel the urge... for batteries I was thinking duratrax 4200's? or maybe some bigger ones. Def. gonna get a RPM front bumper, for added protection. do the Big bores run clips like the standard Maxx shocks do? I hate carring clips around I was thinking evader ST shocks. my friend has an evader ST and says they last about a year but its worth it.

vxlhammbone 12-24-2010 06:24 PM

i got the rpm front bumper, love it. im gonna order two 11.1 lipo's with my christmas money, and then i will need a wheelie bar. Other than that i will run it till i break it,then i will know what needs replaced or upgraded.

Damon-- 12-24-2010 09:32 PM

When the caster blocks break (trust me they will!), be sure to upgrade to aluminum ones.

In my opinion, this is the only aluminum part you should get on this car.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-24-2010 09:37 PM

for batteries....wait until you have $70 to spend. then go to hobbyking.com and buy a 2s 30c 5000mah lipo and a imaxb6 lipo charger. that one lipo will get you 25-35 minutes of runtime, and will be faster than any nimh pack.(especially any nimh pack that costs $30)

as far as chassis parts...anything made by RPM for the rustler is a good idea to have.
for me(had a rusty vxl) when i part broke, i bought the RPM part as a replacement. their plastic is super tough.

as mentioned earlier, the RPM front bumper is worth alot. you should get that before anything else!
after than, a-arms, bearing carriers, and shock towers made by RPM will increase the "bashibility" of your rustler alot.

thehuntingterminator 12-25-2010 07:03 PM

if your on a tight budget then i would assume lipo is too expinsive. for NIMH, go with Dynamite. they make great batteries and anything from 6 cells to 8 cells and from 1800mah to 5100mah. go with a 4500mah NIMH Dynamite battery. you should get around 25 minutes of runtime with this $40 battery