RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

jasvic 06-26-2009 03:04 PM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

My Flux arrived yesterday, and so did my battery and charger from Hong Kong. Amazing timing. Wanted white, came in red...oh well, bad luck. Want to get a clear body anyway and be creative. Co-worker who got me into this soldered a Deans connector to the battery for me. During lunch, we took it out to a local little league field and watched it kick up a ton of dirt, running the bases and hopping the pitcher's mound. Good times. Only had it out for 15-20 minutes, but had fun.

In the parking lot the thing does wheelies at the drop of a hat. Too lazy to search the thread right now, but where did you get your wheelie bar? And does it keep the truck relatively low?

Paron34 06-26-2009 08:38 PM

Just loosen you slipper clutch a little should help alot with the wheelies !!

e-firestormer 06-26-2009 09:48 PM

Hi guys, got one of those E-sky gyros from the *bay and fitted it to the flux a few days ago. Everything that has been said about them it true! The flux is like a rocket with the gyro. You can drive flat out on slippery surfaces and still track straight. When it stops raining outside I will have to try it on the gravel. It gives it the straight line stability of a 4WD!

I have seen aluminum steering bits for the T4 on *bay and they look pretty similar to the ones on the e-firestorm. Has anyone tried to see if they can be modded to fit?

What is better, toe-in or toe-out for the front wheels? I see some trucks setup one way, and other the other.

Cheers,

David

Paron34 06-27-2009 12:12 AM

Nice my New Novak Havok3's Ballistic 8.5T just got here ,was on back order from A main hobbies !!! I'm going to buy a bag of pinion gears tommorow ranging from 15 to 21 tooth"wont need past 19". Gonna post some pic's tommorow after I get the right gearing.

redfisher1974 06-27-2009 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: jasvic

My Flux arrived yesterday, and so did my battery and charger from Hong Kong. Amazing timing. Wanted white, came in red...oh well, bad luck. Want to get a clear body anyway and be creative. Co-worker who got me into this soldered a Deans connector to the battery for me. During lunch, we took it out to a local little league field and watched it kick up a ton of dirt, running the bases and hopping the pitcher's mound. Good times. Only had it out for 15-20 minutes, but had fun.

In the parking lot the thing does wheelies at the drop of a hat. Too lazy to search the thread right now, but where did you get your wheelie bar? And does it keep the truck relatively low?
Thats cool...My wheelie bar is off of ebay...bonzi bar or something like that.just type in E-firestorm and it should come up...and it does keep it low..maybe 4 or 5 inches off the ground.

redfisher1974 06-27-2009 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: e-firestormer

Hi guys, got one of those E-sky gyros from the *bay and fitted it to the flux a few days ago. Everything that has been said about them it true! The flux is like a rocket with the gyro. You can drive flat out on slippery surfaces and still track straight. When it stops raining outside I will have to try it on the gravel. It gives it the straight line stability of a 4WD!

I have seen aluminum steering bits for the T4 on *bay and they look pretty similar to the ones on the e-firestorm. Has anyone tried to see if they can be modded to fit?

What is better, toe-in or toe-out for the front wheels? I see some trucks setup one way, and other the other.

Cheers,

David
I run the esky gyro too....works good..

redfisher1974 06-27-2009 12:47 AM

Nice my New Novak Havok3's Ballistic 8.5T just got here ,was on back order from A main hobbies !!! I'm going to buy a bag of pinion gears tommorow ranging from 15 to 21 tooth"wont need past 19". Gonna post some pic's tommorow after I get the right gearing.
Awsome....lets see some speed runs.

jasvic 06-27-2009 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, if I did this right, here's some pics of my Storm in the backyard. It's a little uneven from an old pool, so i was able to get a few small jumps. Also, I took several breaks to let it cool down since it was on grass, was checking temps often. How hot it too hot for the motor and ESC?

redfisher1974 06-27-2009 05:25 PM

over 160f is getting hot...

kilimats 06-27-2009 05:54 PM

Follow up from my Tactic Tx/RX review quoted below

The Car is faster and gives smoother acceleration, I can wheelie while doing 20mph while before I had to be stopped or running very slowly ( I did the comparaison with same tire/road condition/clutch setting). And driving slowly is easier than before since the throttle is way more sensitive and the Receiver capture all that data without interference

TOP speed seems to be higher as well, I have to double check in an open field next time

The braking is very similar, I do not notice any difference even so the reverse throttle has less travel compared to stock

"you get what you pay for" does not apply to this product, AMAZING value ! Highly recommended !! ;)

Fun side note: I can actually maintain the wheely without wheelie bar, just gliding on the rear metal skid plate and keeping the throttle speed balanced, pretty dope !! (not doable with stock FM Tx)

ORIGINAL: kilimats

First Impression of the tactic 2.4Ghz TX/RX combo from Hobbytowers after a few minutes run (currently @ $80ish with RX)

Pros
Awesome range !!!!!
Interference free !!!! (in my street, stock was loosing signal after 20m, 2.4ghz keep going forever)
Failsafe built in, OMG finally I can drive worry free !:)
Smoother acceleration and perfect precision even far away (barely see the car)
lighter TX/Rx
Smaller Rx
only 4 AA required
No more gigantic antennas
CHEEEEAAAAAPPPP !!!!!

Cons
Plastic quality a little under the stock TX
often out of stock at towerhobbie (I waited 3 month)
The reverse has a little less play so the car cannot go as fast as with stock TX (still pretty quick anyway), the forward has more play though, not sure if it goes faster, will check

Conclusion: a MUST buy for the failsafe alone !!!

not sure what the RX battery is for, I didnt need it to run the car (see last picture)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz008.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz013.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz018.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz019.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz020.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz022.jpg

redfisher1974 06-27-2009 07:42 PM

awsome...I want to get one for my VXL slash...The stock am radio is too touchie at 50mph.

redfisher1974 06-28-2009 07:51 PM

I must say this 1/16 VXL slash is fast as hell..to the point you cant keep it on the ground.....But after playing with it and going back to the storm,makes me like the storm even more...

Paron34 06-28-2009 09:30 PM

Follow up from my Tactic Tx/RX review quoted below

The Car is faster and gives smoother acceleration, I can wheelie while doing 20mph while before I had to be stopped or running very slowly ( I did the comparaison with same tire/road condition/clutch setting). And driving slowly is easier than before since the throttle is way more sensitive and the Receiver capture all that data without interference

TOP speed seems to be higher as well, I have to double check in an open field next time

The braking is very similar, I do not notice any difference even so the reverse throttle has less travel compared to stock

''you get what you pay for'' does not apply to this product, AMAZING value ! Highly recommended !! ;)

First Impression of the tactic 2.4Ghz TX/RX combo from Hobbytowers after a few minutes run (currently @ $80ish with RX)

Pros
Awesome range !!!!!
Interference free !!!! (in my street, stock was loosing signal after 20m, 2.4ghz keep going forever)
Failsafe built in, OMG finally I can drive worry free !:)
Smoother acceleration and perfect precision even far away (barely see the car)
lighter TX/Rx
Smaller Rx
only 4 AA required
No more gigantic antennas
CHEEEEAAAAAPPPP !!!!!

Cons
Plastic quality a little under the stock TX
often out of stock at towerhobbie (I waited 3 month)
The reverse has a little less play so the car cannot go as fast as with stock TX (still pretty quick anyway), the forward has more play though, not sure if it goes faster, will check

Conclusion: a MUST buy for the failsafe alone !!!

not sure what the RX battery is for, I didnt need it to run the car (see last picture)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz008.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz013.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz018.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz019.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz020.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...PI24GHz022.jpg

Is the wheel rubber of plastic like the stock receiver ? can't really tell from the pic's. Im about to buy a new radio its between this and the Spectrum 2.4 DX2.0

kilimats 06-28-2009 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Paron34
Is the wheel rubber of plastic like the stock receiver ? can't really tell from the pic's. Im about to buy a new radio its between this and the Spectrum 2.4 DX2.0

Yes, the wheel feels about the same as OEM

redfisher1974 06-29-2009 09:21 AM

I dropped down to a 18t pinion on the storm....seem to get a longer run time...

sheik480 06-29-2009 11:25 AM

How would a gyro affect a four wheel drive offroad rc? It obviously wouldn't be needed for takeoff control, but I imagine it would help on rough ground and turns on slick surfaces. Any input?

redfisher1974 06-29-2009 11:42 AM

I am not sure....if you try it let us know..

sheik480 06-29-2009 01:27 PM

Will do!

bvr_j_0969 06-29-2009 04:00 PM

Looking into getting a firestorm flux, but i dont race, and there is nowhere to race around here nor enough people, So i mainly just bash, maybe race a buddy around a little, but wondering, is the firestorm flux built to stand up to some hardcore bashing? that all i really want is a good fast bashing rig. if not anyone have any suggestions to a good basher?

Paron34 06-29-2009 05:17 PM

My Nephew ,Nephew's wife, and his father "my brother in law" all got traxxas and losi rig's the same time I bought a E firestorm 10T. They have all broken parts !! me none what so ever. Stock I also seem faster in dirt with much better handling than the Rustler's. I toasted my Nephew's wife's SpeedT with the New Ballistic 8.5 with 18 Pinion gear off road track diffently seem's like the FS can handle to the high speed's better than its counterpart's. Gonna post some pic's of my back yard stock race's soon as my wife gets back with the camera from work. But to answer your question the FS is a "Great" 1/10 scale basher !!!

tokzik 06-29-2009 07:40 PM

the firestorm flux is the best basher i ever had... i have yet to break a part !!! and trust me i bash the heck out of it. but i have managed to ware out the bumper motor protector .

ok so i got back from racing at the the club this weekend with my firestorm flux.. and started to get real annoyed at the lack of people marshaling, i spend a lot of time doing it for other people but not many people seem to bother sooo and after thinking it over i have decided to have a go at making a rig to flip my car over for me ... ill make some pics of my progress if anyone is interested
so far i have managed to draw out my plan and ill be hunting for parts tomorrow.

on a side note, im interested in a little more torque, anyone got any suggestions for a motor, i only run 2s and i have heard the Xcelorin 4800KV Brushless Motor may be just what im looking for with 2s lipos
any thoughts ??

redfisher1974 06-30-2009 08:41 AM

you could go down a couple teeth on the pinion for more torque...if you dont mind losing a little top speed.

kilimats 06-30-2009 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: tokzik

the firestorm flux is the best basher i ever had... i have yet to break a part !!! and trust me i bash the heck out of it. but i have managed to ware out the bumper motor protector .

ok so i got back from racing at the the club this weekend with my firestorm flux.. and started to get real annoyed at the lack of people marshaling, i spend a lot of time doing it for other people but not many people seem to bother sooo and after thinking it over i have decided to have a go at making a rig to flip my car over for me ... ill make some pics of my progress if anyone is interested
so far i have managed to draw out my plan and ill be hunting for parts tomorrow.

on a side note, im interested in a little more torque, anyone got any suggestions for a motor, i only run 2s and i have heard the Xcelorin 4800KV Brushless Motor may be just what im looking for with 2s lipos
any thoughts ??

Do you have the stock flux or a custom one ?

I run the stock flux and find the torque outstanding, wheelies at any low speed using a 2.4 Tx and sticky clutch.

Fun side note: I can actually maintain the wheely without wheelie bar, just gliding on the rear metal skid plate and keeping the throttle speed balanced, pretty dope !! (not doable with stock FM Tx)

jasvic 06-30-2009 09:41 AM

So last night I spent some time flipping the rear arms to increase the wheelbase. Sci-fi was showing Star Trek TNG re-runs, so it was a good time. When I was finally finished, it was pretty dark outside, but I was impatient and wanted to just test it out on the concrete, adjusting the slipper until the front would just barely lift.

Once done that, I thought what the heck, and ran it in the yard for a minute or two. Bad idea, when I brought it inside and set it down, I found it picked up quite a few slugs and other critters. Fortunately, I had some newspapers laid out so it was contained. Had to go over it real well to make sure it was bug free...a couple were on the inside of the wheels. Not good times.

The moral of the story is, don't run it in grass at night on a humid summer night.

redfisher1974 06-30-2009 10:06 AM

Yuck...slugs....lol