RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

Vrooom 06-25-2008 04:33 PM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Hey, as e-firestorm user, i got fed up breaking the weak spot and loosing dog bones on my brushless e-firestorm, so i decided to create this, beefy rear end using rod ends and a plate to hold it togother I hope it worked.

My firestorm is all standard apart from mamba max esc / 5700 motor with 11.1v lipo. shes fly! the ball stud broke twice, after gentle bashing (clearing a bmx jump set), and barrel roll. so here is the pic, ingore my crude handiwork on those parts! lol.

http://www.vrooom.copperstream.co.uk/rear1.jpg

http://www.vrooom.copperstream.co.uk/rear2.jpg

supamagician 06-25-2008 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: dafpnp

ORIGINAL: supamagician

oh ok. well will you check out this video? http://www.metacafe.com/watch/124082..._at_the_track/
what do you think im doing wrong? what do I need to improve on? do I need new tires?
the reason I am asking these questions is because I was sliding around alot, and I want to be a good racer, but its hard when your sliding everywhere
Consider 1) increasing wheel base of your setup, 2) have a stiffer differential.

Practice smoother inputs, atleast when you are negotiating turns.
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Besides changing shock positions, how could I increase the wheelbase? Also, what is a differential, and how can I make mine stiffer?

mercerbeef 06-25-2008 05:41 PM

i was woundering if you all know that nitro firestorm parts fit on the estorm? (arms,hubs,knuckles)

i got alum. steering knuckles, alum c hubs, alum.rear hubs, alum. arm mount and brace (from hotracing) via hobbyect.com
its got a 5700sidewinder, proline steppins, various hpi rims, and a spektrum 3.0 (which didnt work with the stock esc setup)
hpi alum shocks front and rear ( theyr on my nitro storm for the summer)
lunsford turnbuckles
just got my castle link so i'll try some different setups before next season ( we race indoors in winter)

mercerbeef 06-25-2008 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres some pics, forgot to mention i got losi springs on alum shocks, had to use losi spring perchs, and the new body i had on got trashed when i put it on my nitro firestorm

powerslider 06-25-2008 07:13 PM

WOW, there's the beef!! I bet you don't have problems there anymore lol.... Nice job..

ElectricGuy007 06-25-2008 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80

The servo is a little slow but I guess that is normal for stock. I haven't had problems with it yet but am finding that I want stronger and faster response.
But remember if you upgrade the servo to a "digital metal geared servo" you'll get less runtime.
I wouldnt worry about it if your running Lipo batt's though.

I still run nimh and for my second practice day at my local track it was successful with the stock servo.
I cleared all the jumps and turns just fine with it.

Yet the track record is 19.1. This past weekend I got a 19.5 on one of my laps.
I hoping for a great race this weekend with this truck.

dafpnp 06-26-2008 12:46 AM

oh ok. well will you check out this video? http://www.metacafe.com/watch/124082..._at_the_track/
what do you think im doing wrong? what do I need to improve on? do I need new tires?
the reason I am asking these questions is because I was sliding around alot, and I want to be a good racer, but its hard when your sliding everywhere
Consider 1) increasing wheel base of your setup, 2) have a stiffer differential.

Practice smoother inputs, atleast when you are negotiating turns.
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Besides changing shock positions, how could I increase the wheelbase? Also, what is a differential, and how can I make mine stiffer?
Look for my post on this forum at page 9 for wheel base settings.
Differential....I'll post later.. in a hurry now.

supamagician 06-26-2008 01:07 AM

Hey guys, I need some suggestions on how to fix this. You know the little wall that separates the battery from the servo. Well that little wall broke off, and now, if I run to hard, the battery pushes the servo forward, and causes steering problems. I dont know where the little wall is, I just know its not there lol.

dafpnp 06-26-2008 01:14 AM

For me, it cracked... but didn't break completely.
Your options: :-) create a new wall.
Find out / create a similar sized piece. Rough up side walls with a 1.5mm drill or some thing and then use 30 minute epoxy [I used m-seal] to fix the wall.
The roughened sidewall will give more strength to the epoxy to hold on to the side walls.
It seems you have also broken the servo body, which holds on to servo posts. It happenned in my case + also a bent stick pack :-(. I am happy I wasn't running a lipo at the time of crash.

brianmhaskell 06-26-2008 11:56 AM

That's a sweet storm!

mercerbeef 06-26-2008 02:37 PM

thanks i used tamiya clear orange paint on the aluminum

about the ball studs breaking, i remembered earlier today that my old xxxt busted em a few times when i first started, and it turned out to be no shock oil in the in the shock and dead springs, and i recall someone mentioned hpi put the wrong springs in the front and rear. could that be the problem?

brianmhaskell 06-26-2008 08:05 PM

So I have a stock E-Firestorm and replaced the pinion with a 20tooth. It is so much faster and nothing runs hot. I would recommend this setup for all out there that have the stock setup. It set me back a whopping $3.50
It also runs perfectly cool so no issues with electronics

supamagician 06-27-2008 11:18 AM

For me, it cracked... but didn't break completely.
Your options: :-) create a new wall.
Find out / create a similar sized piece. Rough up side walls with a 1.5mm drill or some thing and then use 30 minute epoxy [I used m-seal] to fix the wall.
The roughened sidewall will give more strength to the epoxy to hold on to the side walls.
It seems you have also broken the servo body, which holds on to servo posts. It happenned in my case + also a bent stick pack :-(. I am happy I wasn't running a lipo at the time of crash.

actually, what I think I'm going to do is put some velcro down where the battery sits, and put velcrow on the bottom of all my batteries. That way the velcro will hold the batteries still, and I can easily adjust the battery position to change performance (forward for better steering, back for more wheelies etc.).

ElectricGuy007 06-27-2008 11:20 AM

I've been using the foam battery things it came with have you?
It says in the manual that you can position the foam blocks to do wheelies, or balance it out for racing.
I didnt even know stadium trucks could do this.

supamagician 06-27-2008 11:50 AM

yeah ive been using them. just would be easier with velcro I think

AlphaDOG 06-29-2008 03:51 AM

I have just received my e-firestorm I plan to put brushless in it if someone want the stock motor & esc let me know never used brand new .. 60$ + shipping.

bgagnon 06-29-2008 01:56 PM

Hi all,

I am new to this and I have a stock e-firestorm. I would like to know where you buy your parts on the net. Where they have good supply, Good service and fast shipping. I live in canada and I want to upgrade. Where can I find a cheap brushless kit to replace my stock motor and ESC.

Also brianmhaskell, where did you get your 20 tooth pinion.

Thank you,

Nick

dafpnp 06-29-2008 02:45 PM

I am from India and I usually get parts from towerhobbies.com or omnimodels.com
They are basically the same.
Tower offers more discounts
Omni offers cheaper shipping.

brianmhaskell 06-29-2008 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: bgagnon

Hi all,

I am new to this and I have a stock e-firestorm. I would like to know where you buy your parts on the net. Where they have good supply, Good service and fast shipping. I live in canada and I want to upgrade. Where can I find a cheap brushless kit to replace my stock motor and ESC.

Also brianmhaskell, where did you get your 20 tooth pinion.

Thank you,

Nick
Hobbypeople.net is always cheaper than tower hobbies when you look at the overall picture (shipping).
I use robinson racing pinions remember to use 48 pitch. I am know using the 21tooth and it is pretty fast.

bgagnon 06-29-2008 05:35 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. That will help.

You guys rocks,

../Nick

sbracing 06-30-2008 04:12 PM

took the firestorm on road to mess around with it. here is a pic of it just before i ripped of the wheelie bar

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/m...80630-0012.jpg

sbracing 06-30-2008 06:20 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MXyEAR_sGD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-mrANEzhlc
video of it

SAVAGEBANE 06-30-2008 06:44 PM

i am interested in a new ST. the only one i have now was my first r/c a rustler...a really old rustler. i have done some good upgrades, but its time to shelf it for decoration cause i dont wanna keep pouring money into it.
i was gonna get a new vxl rusty, but i just considered the e-firestorm. i do eventually wanna get into racing. is th FS honestly better than vxl for racing and why if possible.

sbracing 07-01-2008 07:21 AM

do any of you have any advice on how to keep my front end down. it has a wheelie bar and it has the battery tray that came with my futaba stuff just sitting in there as ballast and i use the 10 cell for the extra weight(battery was built with the top cells in the front). i can forget about using the lipo. i was at work last night messing with it. i went the whole lenth of the homedepot i work at before i hit the throttle 100% and it still flipped over lol

brushlessboy16 07-01-2008 07:58 AM

you got more pics of your bar?