RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

DarksideVR 01-22-2010 03:41 PM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

ORIGINAL: lcb1978

Just completed my Spur gear conversion to use the Blitz Spur, encounted one problem which was the Blitz slipper requires 3 x pin, with 1 in the stock Firestorm, 1 in the Blitz Slipper set I was 1 short! I had to use a Tamiya one and cut about 3mm off the length with a dremel to make it fit. I'm using a 77t Spur and 30t pinion for some tarmac speed runs, I've left the flux motor in for one carefull 3s 11.1v run. Once the VXL 3500kv motors ready thats going in which should push it to nearly 70mph on 3s, the Flux 5700kv could have potential to hit over 100mph but I don't think it will have the torque to do this with the 30/77 gearing without frying itself.
Plaese say you can shoot video of this. I know I for one would love to see how this turns out for ya. Nice job on finding and getting some insane gearing to work ;)

lcb1978 01-22-2010 05:21 PM

Yes I will film it! I'm hoping to have a go Sunday afternoon depending on the weather, I'm proberly going to accelerate slowly and check the motor temp every straight run as I don't want to write off the Flux motor! will use a Zippy 3s 11.1v 25c 5000mah pack.

vpower 01-22-2010 05:37 PM

any one knows of a good 75t spur that would fit my e-firestorm?

redfisher1974 01-22-2010 09:14 PM

Nope, But i know where you can get a 77t spur.:)

nitro-rob 01-23-2010 12:28 AM

I don't think my truck does much more than 40 mph with my current setup. It runs great, though.

redfisher1974 01-23-2010 03:50 AM

I feel 40 mph is the sweet spot for the storm,Dont really need much more.

vpower 01-23-2010 08:45 AM

i just ran my storm with the turnigy li-po and its way better than i expected. the accel improoved by a million, the speed rose to about 29(i still need a radar gun to proove it tho), and when it comes to offroad its a beast on wheels;)

this was tested with the stock brushed system

vpower 01-23-2010 08:52 AM

oh did i mention the esc didnt like the battery at all:)

i thik the esc reached the temperature of 120 f

nitro-rob 01-23-2010 11:09 AM

I like my RCs between 40-50. If they went faster I wouldn't spend much time there anyways and gear them shorter for more snap. I ordered some aluminum today. Hubs, carriers and a-arm mounts and left the arms and shock towers alone. I have good luck with changing those parts on my other RCs and don't get any more breakage than normal.

I also forgot about my castle link!

redfisher1974 01-23-2010 02:04 PM

Going out for a bash right now[8D] nice day for it.

Willystylz 01-23-2010 03:06 PM

Planning a bit of a makeover on my storm today. On order are universals, alum hub carriers, new body, backup spur gear, and hpi alum shocks.:D Should add some bling to the truck, and hopefully I have better luck with the HPI shocks than i did with my old cheap alum knockoffs (think they were 3racing or yeah racing i forget).

I've really had an itch to pick up a Blitz lately but once I've ordered a 2.4ghz receiver, servo, brushless esc & motor for it I'd be up in the $600+ range. Cheaper to upgrade the storm.......for now:D

redfisher1974 01-23-2010 03:30 PM

I remember how much i hate bashing in the cold[>:] sure the roads are dry but being below 0 and the snowplow sand everywhere you get no traction and spin out if you give it any power at all. I need that new bell crank my stock one is so worn out that i have a hard time keeping the truck straight.I can center the steering fine but when you turn it to the left it does not come back to center but it does when you turn right,must be all the slop in the bell crank.

redfisher1974 01-23-2010 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

Planning a bit of a makeover on my storm today. On order are universals, alum hub carriers, new body, backup spur gear, and hpi alum shocks.:D Should add some bling to the truck, and hopefully I have better luck with the HPI shocks than i did with my old cheap alum knockoffs (think they were 3racing or yeah racing i forget).

I've really had an itch to pick up a Blitz lately but once I've ordered a 2.4ghz receiver, servo, brushless esc & motor for it I'd be up in the $600+ range. Cheaper to upgrade the storm.......for now:D
Sounds good,Pics will be in order.

nitro-rob 01-23-2010 04:01 PM

Yeah, its kind of crappy in this weather with the bad traction - but better to do any RC than none. What kind of temperatures were you getting on a day like today compared to a day in the summer? I just want to get an idea...

redfisher1974 01-23-2010 04:18 PM

Could'nt tell you i never bring the temp gun out on cold days,And my fingers get too cold to feel the motor:) but in the summer i run 110f to 120f

redfisher1974 01-23-2010 04:23 PM

What I thought was my bell crank might be my new servo. I marked a line on the servo arm after centering it with the st trim then when i turn to the right it goes back to center but when i turn left it stops short of center? has anyone had this happen before? I guess i should unhook it from the bell crank and see how it centers.

nitro-rob 01-23-2010 04:36 PM

I would, that is strange.

redfisher1974 01-23-2010 04:53 PM

I have been doing some looking around and some say it could be the radio and some say my servo saver and bell crank.

rclugnut10 01-23-2010 05:24 PM

red did you check your servo saver, on my evader my bellcrank is wearing out too and i tightened it down a bit and i got some steering back, i know its a quick fix but if you're still waiting on parts....

as for winter running, i don't have my storm yet but with my evader' i've geared down, a bit [X(] just so i'm sure i'm not overloading anythign and the snow really kills speed and accel, and i live on a dirt road that right now is practically ice so i can barely go 5mph with out burning out, but i know my temps are nothing significant in the summer i run my esc at 100-120 and my motor and 140-160 evader again... ARG WANT MY STORM SOOO BAD!!!!!

the lug

nitro-rob 01-23-2010 08:35 PM

I am getting a little bored with the weather. You are right Red, no traction is really limiting the fun and the park has just enough snow left to make things too rough to drive. Eric C.'s advice is excellent, I applied some of his preparation suggestions with an immediate benefit. I am getting a bit of slop already in the steering in the hub and bearing carriers. That should be all fixed when the new bling comes in.

belial 01-23-2010 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i received my firestorm today, installed tactic radio, tires and gyro, truck is great, but when gyro is connected everything goes OK for 1 minute and then steering just goes left (or right) and stays in that position and wont work anymore, any ideas? when gyro is disconnected everything is fine, if i connect a 4AA batterie pack to feed the radio receiver it will also feed the gyro and servo and everything works fine (no lipo connected)

edit:after further investigation, problem was either insuficient power from ESC to RX (and gyro and servo) or excesive power if i connected the 4AA batterie pack at the same time (with the lipo) the car would behave strange (no acceleration and strange sounds) , so i installed an on/off switch between ESC and RX (leaving only signal and positive cables working), now gyro wont go crazy after a minute and steering power comes from another place leaving the entire lipo power to the engine and ESC, so i guess that is not so bad.

mercerbeef 01-23-2010 08:55 PM

sounds like you need to stud a set of tires for traction

speedygab 01-23-2010 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: belial

i received my firestorm today, installed tactic radio, tires and gyro, truck is great, but when gyro is connected everything goes OK for 1 minute and then steering just goes left (or right) and stays in that position and wont work anymore, any ideas? when gyro is disconnected everything is fine, if i connect a 4AA batterie pack to feed the radio receiver it will also feed the gyro and servo and everything works fine (no lipo connected)
The same thing happened to me when I tried it. I removed the gyro without further investigations. I know a gyro can really help to control spin outs and turns but the best thing to do is to control the truck yourself!!!!!!!! Try to be smooth on the throttle ( it's hard to do ).

It won't help to control your ride but check your rear tires. They seem to be mounted in opposite directions.

nitro-rob 01-23-2010 09:40 PM

I am going to stud the current tires when I wear them down enough that they aren't useable but thats for ice. The studs won't help much on asphalt. I can't wait for spring. Still, any RCin'g is better than none.

vpower 01-23-2010 10:21 PM

i cant wait for my 5900 kv motor too get here!!!!!

i want to break speed records now!!!!!!!(the record for the fastest off-road rc)[8D]