RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

Willystylz 04-18-2010 07:28 PM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

mmmm Titanium:D

Titanium is stronger than steel and much much lighter! The main advantage of that kit would be the weight savings which would help in the handling department.

honda2237 04-18-2010 07:29 PM

Red is completely correct, it's only the mmp that can do it. It uses the sensor for accleration so you don't cogg, then uses sensorless for more efficiency and better top speeds and power, then turns the sensor back on for better braking. It's a really cool system, never tried it but it's a good idea.

DarksideVR 04-18-2010 07:31 PM

I was thinking of those with the RPM ball end links...

DarksideVR 04-18-2010 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: honda2237

Red is completely correct, it's only the mmp that can do it. It uses the sensor for accleration so you don't cogg, then uses sensorless for more efficiency and better top speeds and power, then turns the sensor back on for better braking. It's a really cool system, never tried it but it's a good idea.
one of the many reasons they are so popular :) I must say I really like the Novak setup. Very very pleased with the truck, If ya couldn't tell ;)

Willystylz 04-18-2010 07:40 PM

I highly recommend the RPM ball ends............VERY durable and you'll never have a problem again with your ballends popping off.

honda2237 04-18-2010 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: DarksideVR

one of the many reasons they are so popular :) I must say I really like the Novak setup. Very very pleased with the truck, If ya couldn't tell ;)
yep exactly, plus it runs up to 6s. Ya you seem like you did. I didn't like it on my e-maxx, because the magnet broke off in 5 drives, then after I got it, it did it again in 10 drives and then shorted after I got it back and they wouldn't warranty it because they said water, but it was July/august time and we didn't have rain for 3 weeks so it was a dust bowl. Maybe I just had a bad experience.

redfisher1974 04-18-2010 07:45 PM

well took my new servo out for a rip and it did the same thing as the bluebird[>:] brought it in put it on the stand and it was alright put it on the floor and it wont center from the left. looks like under load the bell crank is just too sloppy to center. Reveresd the radio to see if that changed the side the servo wont center from and it did not so i geuss its the bell crank worn out the one way? I find this strange as i did put lines on the bluebird and the servo itself did not come back to its center where this one does but wont under load.
Maybe the crank is binding but it feels smooth. I will just have to buy the alum bell crank, It sucks when you turn and go down the street one way it tracks perfect then you turn around the oppisite way and you have to fight it all the way back as it veers off the road.

DarksideVR 04-18-2010 08:00 PM

honda- that's sucks you had a bad experience. I have had that happen with reputable companies as well....[:o] Boo
and Red you are having some kind of luck with your steering.....hope that aluminum bell crank ships fast :)

rclugnut10 04-18-2010 08:21 PM

another +1 for RPM cups they are very strong and way beefier than any stock unites i've encoutered the only downside is that they're harder to pop on, does that even count???

the lug

Willystylz 04-18-2010 08:25 PM

a set of pliers makes short work of that:D.............so no that doesn't count!

nitro-rob 04-18-2010 08:49 PM

I've had good support and a lot of patience from novak and castle. The castle interface is pretty cool, too.

Burned two batteries this weekend and really enjoyed the gyro. The last shred of rubber on the gladiators won't die. The traction is starting to really suck and they wear very slowly at the same time.

Tomorrow is a nitro day.....

honda2237 04-18-2010 09:15 PM

I prefer castle but I believe I just had one of those bad days with them.

I would go with the punisher kit, Ive had similar turnbuckles and they don't bend, had some amazing crashes too.
I love rpm products, they are amazing. Way better than aluminum.

My truck comes tomorrow:D , I had to do some beating on my merv to keep me busy.

mercerbeef 04-19-2010 12:13 PM

Red- could it be that you have one of those streets that slopes slightly to the curb? when i run mine on the street it pulls to the curb too, but on streets where theres no curb it tracks straight, or maybe you forgot to reset your radio. lol

How do I tell when a li-po dies? power to my esc's cuts out when my truck hits bumps, I thought it was the Esc or the rx but after trying it in a few trucks/cars it seems to be the li-po. theres no sign of a problem and it charges and balances fine. any Ideas?

honda2237 04-19-2010 01:14 PM

Sounds like a loose connection, look around the connectors, or it could be in the battery. Try running it then stop after it cuts out for a few times, then feel around the connector, the battery, ect, to see if anything is hotter than usual. I personally have not killed a lipo except for when I shorted one.

redfisher1974 04-19-2010 02:34 PM

Red- could it be that you have one of those streets that slopes slightly to the curb? when i run mine on the street it pulls to the curb too, but on streets where theres no curb it tracks straight, or maybe you forgot to reset your radio. lol
If only it was that easy, When the car is sitting on the ground and you turn to the right it goes back to perfect center, Then you turn left it does not come back to center its off enough to make the car veer that way.I have elimanated everything but the bell crank. Gives me a good excuse to buy one.

mercerbeef 04-19-2010 08:34 PM

I've been considering the alum. bell cranks also, Do the rpm ballcups fit the stock hpi ballstuds?

I'm gonna get another set of bananas for my li-po, and try it again

honda2237 04-19-2010 09:06 PM

well i got the truck, i love it. It handles very well, and is super quite. the one complain is the tires, they should have gotten better glue:), and the chrome falls off, but i glued the tires on and headed back out, they hook up very well.

DarksideVR 04-19-2010 09:18 PM

mercer- yep the RPM ball ends do work with HPI ball studs...from what I read. I haven't gotten mine yet :)
Honda- glad you like it

redfisher1974 04-20-2010 12:34 AM

well i got the truck, i love it. It handles very well, and is super quite. the one complain is the tires, they should have gotten better glue:), and the chrome falls off, but i glued the tires on and headed back out, they hook up very well.
Never liked the chrome rims on the flux, The black ones on the none flux are better looking. Anywho ditch the pins and put some prolines on it and it will be much better.

honda2237 04-20-2010 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Never liked the chrome rims on the flux, The black ones on the none flux are better looking. Anywho ditch the pins and put some prolines on it and it will be much better.
ya me neither, plus if you add the HORRIBLE gluing job i did on the tires, they look even worse.
On a side note, i broke an a-arm this morning, but it was well earned, it tumbled way down a hill and hit a tree and kept tumbling for a few more feet. So i went to both of my local shops and they didn't have the part, but they both carry the blitz and other HPI trucks. So i ordered a set of front and rear RPM a-arms, and i just put 100wt shock oil in the front and left the rear stock, now i am cleaning the diff and going to put 100K diff lube in it.

lcb1978 04-20-2010 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

just a question, could you guys post pictures and what upgrades you have done?
Platinum RC Products 3pc kit
Alu Wheelie bar
Alu front Chassis support plate
Traxxas 2.8" wheels & tyres
Traxxas big bore shocks
2.4 Radio
Savox steering servo
VXL 3500kv motor
HPI Blitz 77t Spur gear conversion
Edit 30t pinion gear

honda2237 04-20-2010 04:46 PM

very nice.
I am noticing my temps are getting pretty high, so i am thinking about getting a smaller pinion, I am thinking 18, what do you think? They don't make a heat sking for these trucks do they? I don't think so, but it never hurts to ask.

lcb1978 04-20-2010 05:05 PM

I went with a heatsink recommended by Redfisher, its in the pic above, I cut a space in the motor cover for it to stick through but it will also sit on the motor to the side of the cover, will try and remember who makes it.

lcb1978 04-20-2010 05:10 PM

Here it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yeah-Racing-YA...item58853c28a1

lcb1978 04-20-2010 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Damaged a Lipo in the Savage Flux today, could this of caused any further damage to the battery other then needing to be re-soldered?