RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

nitro-rob 03-26-2012 04:37 PM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">I'm running a platinum RC top brace and I like it a lot.  The other brace on the servo is available too, there is a combo kit.  I think Darkside suggested it to me and he runs them as well.    Haven't heard from him in a while.<div>
</div><div>http://www.platinumrcproducts.com/prc%20176.html</div></div>

Enzyme80 03-26-2012 06:02 PM

So - after about 8-9 months off because of a broken receiver (too lazy to replace and didn't want to keep the stock 27mhz radio) I finally got back in the game. Went with the Fly-Sky GT3B. What a difference!!! Loving the 2.4 ghz and no interference. Also, completely got rid of the cogging issues I have been having since going to the 4600 sidewinder combo. Anyways, I think this has rekindled my love for the RC world. Currently, I am working on my first paint job and will post pictures no matter how bad it comes out. Glad to see this truck still is getting a lot of support, even if the model I got is no longer around.

nitro-rob 03-26-2012 06:53 PM

Good to see you Enzyme.  The firestorm hasn't changed too much, most upgrades were minor and it certainly isn't worth an upgrade for what you have into yours.  Good luck with the paint job.  You're brave to post that you are going to paint....I usually wait to see if it doesn't suck. <div>
</div><div>I've decided to no longer try to paint good bodies.  Monochrome from now on since most get smashed too quickly anyways (and most of my painting sucks).  That being said, I still have two original FS bodies that are in great shape but that truck is an exception.  I do have a friend that paints bodies professionally (among other things) and he has a new FS body coming for me that will hopefully turn out really cool.</div>

Enzyme80 03-27-2012 12:13 PM

Nice man - I know, I am fairly certain this paint job is going to be something awful but whatever it will be fun none the less. I am so far removed right now the last time I was looking at parts RPM wasn't making anything and Integy had just started with theirs. Glad to see the truck is still doing well.

It was a great feeling to get the truck up and running again.

redfisher1974 03-27-2012 01:43 PM

Welcome back dude.

Enzyme80 03-27-2012 02:21 PM

Thanks Red

DarksideVR 03-27-2012 03:32 PM

I am still around...just haven't been playing with the Storm much yet. I plan on charging some lipos soon though :)

nitro-rob 03-27-2012 04:06 PM

Hey Darkside.<div>
</div><div>The beginning of the season is a lot like the first day of school......</div>

Paron34 03-27-2012 06:24 PM

I just ordered a bunch of the white blitz items to replace my broken parts,I don't wanna do the aluminum with plastic Ive seen that end in disaster to many times although carbon fiber is awesome. I like the looks of the white parts and can Dye it like my RPM Baja parts. Again I cant recommend the Viper system enough, not sure how I got a hold of one since A main and Tower haven't gotten them in yet.

DarksideVR 03-29-2012 06:52 AM

Nitro- Yes it is. haha

Paron- what color are you going to dye the white? I have done some other white RC parts. It is easy to do and works really well. can't wait to see what you do.

nitro-rob 03-29-2012 03:33 PM

Paron, I didn't know you had a baja.  I can't wait to get mine out.  I haven't run my dominator pipe yet. <div>
</div><div>I wonder what the venom 80A system is like.  They have it at the local shop.  Seems ideal for the storm.</div>

Paron34 03-29-2012 06:11 PM

Darksides - Now that I have the white parts installed I love the way the look might slowly change it all over.

Nitro - Yeah just got a Baja 5bss ..Im love building it ,its quite simple to build! much more so than any of my Nitro I have owned and the size only makes it easier. So far my upgrades Include a full set of RPM a-arms,killer Bee kill switch,and a Team Fast Eddy Pipe clamp. Anything you suggest I get ??? I tried the gaint car forums but it seems dead and DDM seems awesome. Ive gotta update my model's my sons Losi Mini 8ight which needs "upgraded shocks and steering servo outta the box",Caster F8T HK which is BY FAR my most expansive model 1/8 electric racers = $1500 to run properly and my Firestorm which I don't know about you guys but seems to handle better than 90% of the RC's out their Including models based on it like the Blitz,and now the amazing Baja.

OkieTrucker 03-30-2012 09:10 AM

I bought a dsx 1 for my e firestorm by mistake as well. I notched out holes for shock towers. It works and don't look that bad but next time I'll get a dsx 2.

DarksideVR 03-30-2012 02:29 PM

Paron - the white does grow on ya :)

Red - when you bought your 2.8 wheels/tires did you get them for the rear of the e rustler or front of the e rustler? I know the offsets are different and Nitro's had a narrow stance...I wanna try some 2.8s too. Thanks

nitro-rob 03-30-2012 04:13 PM

These are the traxxas numbers for the deepest offset, I can't remember where they go on the rustler:  5576 (chrome) or 5576A (black chrome)<div>I have the same offset as the stock HPI rims and the maximum offset you can get from the traxxas rims.  The narrower offset came from the proline desperado rims I bought that I don't use.</div>

DarksideVR 03-31-2012 07:52 AM

thanks Nitro I bought some traxxas fitment wheels before and had no problems....I would like to try those desperados but, only if I can get the right fit. Those traxxas numbers may come in handy :)

DarksideVR 04-01-2012 01:16 PM

Got some 2.8s ordered. Re Nitro Did you put on a smaller pinion gear? I think I am 18 with the blitz 88t spur gear. Thanks

nitro-rob 04-01-2012 03:35 PM

I run a 19t with the 88t spur without a problem.<div></div><div>I traded my blitz roller today for an aquacraft rio EP boat that is converted from brushed to brushless (and was RTR) and an eagle tree logger system with the GPS accessory. Not a bad trade if you ask me. I wasn't looking for a trade but have wanted to play with a boat for a while and the logger was on my wish list for ages.</div>

DarksideVR 04-01-2012 04:09 PM

Thanks Nitro...sounds like a good trade.

nitro-rob 04-01-2012 06:31 PM

The logger is quite a bit of fun.  I will put it on the storm once my new sipper clutch spring comes in.  I put it on the savage XS with street tires and 2s it pulled about 35 amps at continuous full throttle and 48 max under hard acceleration.   The GPS unit is really cool too. I won't use this too much but it  has already surprised me with the information it provides.

EnglishSamuraii 04-02-2012 11:01 PM

Hey guys,
I recently made a rc movie, thought some of you may want to check it out :) http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RDpL-wFm_bo

wanna_be_racer 04-04-2012 08:03 PM

Heyya mates.

Came into a bit of luck the other day. Just started a new job, and my boss said he had a tub of RC stuff that the guy before me left there and wanted me to toss it. I was like hell no, and took it home. Some was junk, but there was a Losi XXX-T 90% chassis in there, and 3 pairs of Traxxas Annaconda tires with brand new rims (one set still in the package!!). As well as what looks to be an old E-maxx or similar Traxxas electric chassis. Plus some odds and ends from some HPI nitro model. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

But the Annaconda's looks great on the Storm. The offset looks good to me. I just drilled out the center hole a touch more and used my stock alum hubs with an extra washer behind the wheel nut. 

Aside from that....I'm debating on motors.  I really can't decide between the Castle 1406 5700kv or the 1410 3800kv. Both can take 3-cell. But the 5700 is a bit speedier, however, the temps on 3s with the 3800 will be much more acceptable. This is essentially a basher build, that will eventually be turned into a monster.

What you pros think???

DarksideVR 04-07-2012 12:22 PM

Updated Photos and Build List
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...orm2012006.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...orm2012003.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...orm2012005.jpg
HPI BLITZ ESE
Titanium Turnbuckles M3x69 (93485)*need two M3x60 (104806)
Ballends (104651)
Motor Mount / Heatsink (104219)
Gear Cover / Motor Gaurd (HZE17)
Diff Case (HZE14)
Ti Topshaft (HZE16)
Pro Slipper Clutch (HZE29) w/ 88t spur gear
Novak
Glitch Bustser (5626)
Eagle Racing
Heatsink 5 Fin
RPM
Front Arms w/ Bulkhead (82262)
Rear Arms (82242)
In-line Steering Blocks (81052) w/ oversized bearings 5x11x4 Traxxas (5116)
Rear Bearing Carriers (80792) w/ oversized bearings 5x11x4 Traxxas (5116)
T-Bone Racing
Thrasher Front Bumper
Monster Rear Bumper w/ TBar wheelie bar
Platinum RC Products
Carbon Fiber Servo Brace (PRC177)
Carbon Fiber Front Brace (PRC176)
STRC
Carbon Fiber Battery Hold Down (STH85209C)
Rear Camber Link Mount (STH85207GM)
Caster Blocks (STH100311GM)
Pro-Line
Power Stroke Shocks Front (6063-00)*used Pro-Line mounting kit (6063-05)
Power Stroke Shocks Rear (6063-01) w/ HPI Silicone Shock Oil 40wt (86957)
Bulldog Body (PRO334900)
2.8 Desperado Wheels (2729-03)
2.8 Dirt Hawg Tires (1175-00)
Dark Soul Racing
Oversized Thumbscrews (DSR1100)
Integy
Bell Crank (T6628) w/
Out Front Frames
Carbon Fiber Ackerman Rack (OFFBAR)
Xtreme Racing
Carbon Fiber Front Shock Tower (11202)
Futaba
Heavy Duty Metal Geared Servo (S3305)
Lunsford
Titanium Hinge Pin Kit (3660) * not sure how many are left, I bend them.
Traxxas
Waterproof Receiver Box (3628)
Connectors (3060)
Hex hubs (3654)
Flysky
2.4G Controller and Receiver (FS-GT3B)

nitro-rob 04-07-2012 02:38 PM

That is a cool look.  Is that body a seamless fit?  Your truck is looking good.  I'm waiting for a slipper spring and some thumb screws.<div>
</div><div>I've been boating a few times and its a lot of fun.  The nice thing about water is that it isn't really different from one place to the next and all you care about is the size/area and how smooth things are.  There is a good size pond that is one minute drive away.   I went for a swim today and surprisingly everything worked fine despite the boat being submersed for about 20 minutes. </div>

DarksideVR 04-07-2012 06:51 PM

Nitro- I had use some spacers on the rear body mount to push it back away from the shock towers and lower them down. But otherwise it fit well :) Oh I did have to trim the front down some too.

The boats look fun but I don't have enough water near me :(