RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

dphaight 12-28-2008 05:12 PM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

i just finished my first paint job ,i kept it pretty simple ,but next time im gonna get more creative,the dsx 1 body does NOT fit on the e firestorm the body ineeded was the dsx 2 it has the right shock housings in the shell so the rear towers arent tight to the body,i had to offset it a bit and drimel a couple new holes in my body mounts to make it fit.

i also got the castle link ,and man its badass pretty much do anything to your truck no limits!!!!!!!

still got to get that bumper im getting tired of rebuilding the front end[>:]

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...iscpics172.jpg

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...iscpics180.jpg

clamber 12-28-2008 06:29 PM

Very nice!!! I wish my first one turned out that good!

Linkdead 12-29-2008 01:45 AM

The 3S A123 pack is putting out 9.9 volts it's the max you can run stock and not void the warranty (same voltage as 8S Nimh). It can go much faster if I had good on-road tires and a little more room to accelerate.

bigmd74 12-29-2008 09:00 AM

does the castle link have the ability to tune the motor to go faster?run more lipo cells?

dphaight 12-29-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bigmd74

does the castle link have the ability to tune the motor to go faster?run more lipo cells?
no, it cant change it to run more cells, it does have the avility to make your car faster,all though that is all speculative to what your car is capable of doing.

you can change the motor timing,this will give you more power but at the expense of heat to the egine if you want more power out of the engine you can max it out but i would moniter the temp very closely because your basically running your engine at its extreme max.

the functions in the catle link are as follows:

brake reverse type
brake amount adjustment< <=0-100 percent adjustment value
reverse throttle <
punch control <
drag brake<
strat power<
motor timing
motor type
arming time
cutoff voltage settings
throttle dead band

also throttle curve and brake curve

the drag brake is badass for racing aswell as throttle curve make cutting turns perfect

ill try to get a vid up this week from the track....the rain latley really put a dent on the hoiliday rc fun[:o]

e-firestormer 12-30-2008 08:44 AM

Hi guys, I just put a pair of Pro-line Sand Paws on the storm and took it for a bash on the sand........WOW! This thing was awesome with those tires. One problem I found though was that because the tires didn't come with foams I just glued them to the wheels and never thought that there would be a problem........think again! The little holes in the rim that let air in and out of the wheel also seems to let sand in too! The wheels now have sand running around in them. I will have to try and partially spllit some of the bead of the tire off the wheel to let the sand out and glue some fine mesh over the holes!

I ran the truck with the stock 19T pinion and my older 4600 mAh 7.2V nimh, was too scared to use the lipo incase the motor and esc got too hot. What is a good brand of pinion to use with the storm? I am looking for maybe a 16 or 17T for running on the sand. My local shop doesn't seem to have any 48P pinions that are any good. One I tried had very sharp edges on the teth and seemed to make more noise than the stock pinion so am not too keen to use it.

Will try post some pics when I have another play tomorrow morning.

eaterofdog 12-30-2008 09:50 AM

I have ordered my Firestorm and a Zippy 4000mah lipo. Should be a nice setup for less than $200.

I don't know how long the stock motor will last with the 8.4 battery. I will be ordering a Hobbywing 9T brushless setup soon.

redfisher1974 12-30-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: eaterofdog

I have ordered my Firestorm and a Zippy 4000mah lipo. Should be a nice setup for less than $200.

I don't know how long the stock motor will last with the 8.4 battery. I will be ordering a Hobbywing 9T brushless setup soon.
isn't the lipo 7.4 volts? where did you order the zippy from? i thought they were sold out at hobbyking.

eaterofdog 12-30-2008 10:37 AM

Lipos are 4.2 volts per cell so 8.4 volts is the true starting voltage. I cut off my lipos at 3.5 volts per cell so the car will never see less than 7 volts. Not a whole lot more voltage, but maybe enough to kill a marginal motor.

I ordered the lipo a week ago so I wouldn't have the car sitting around without a battery. Lucky me, they sold out the next day.

redfisher1974 12-30-2008 11:28 AM

yeah wish i had ordered one before they sold out.

bigmd74 01-01-2009 07:33 PM

has anyone stripped out the servo arm?if soo what did you replace with?aluminum.i was looking online and the aluminum ones do not look like they will accomodate the threade ball without it hitting the servo.any ideas?

jkgonzo 01-02-2009 11:55 AM

Hey guys,
I'm having issues with my servo saver coming loose all the time, sorry if this has been discussed before. I can't get more than a couple of laps on the track and I loose steering. I want to race it but it won't make it like this....I've even tried to use red locktite and it still comes loose. Any ideas?? Double nut maybe?? The truck is competitive with the others on the track....I need to get this fixed..........
gonzo

bigmd74 01-02-2009 06:59 PM

hey guys , i was thinking of putting on some maxximizer beadlocks.they use a 14mm hex and the firestorm uses a 12mm.is it just a matter of putting on hexes from a savage?

JIMbEEzEE 01-05-2009 12:18 AM

i was reading on page 4 or so. everything in most of Your guys LHS' are surprisingly inexpensive. the same hpi dish wheels here in tucson az at my LHS are like 15 for 1 pack so its like $30x4 and then another $40x4 tires. and thats just for some cheapos. they have an e-firestorm there for 375 and i got mine on towerhobbies for a combo price shipped for 230. i hate tucson over-priced and not enough RC support out here. only 4 tracks and i cant get into any club scenes cuz i dont really know anybody in electric bummer right! but i have you splendid people.

bigmd74 01-05-2009 02:40 PM

has anyone geared higher in an effort to cut down the wheelies?i have flipped the rear arms and moved tha battery all the way forward.no luck,this thing wheelies at 3/4 throttle!i really dont want to put on a wheelie bar.also,anyone having trouble kepin their rear wheels glued to the rims.i just installed a set of traxxas dish wheels and proline tires and the rears have torn from the rims.one is totally wrecked as the wheel came loose and spun on the hub.

clamber 01-05-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bigmd74

has anyone geared higher in an effort to cut down the wheelies?i have flipped the rear arms and moved tha battery all the way forward.no luck,this thing wheelies at 3/4 throttle!i really dont want to put on a wheelie bar.also,anyone having trouble kepin their rear wheels glued to the rims.i just installed a set of traxxas dish wheels and proline tires and the rears have torn from the rims.one is totally wrecked as the wheel came loose and spun on the hub.

I had the same thing, I just adjusted the slipper.

e-firestormer 01-06-2009 03:15 AM

If your e-firestorm still wheelies after swapping the arms then your slipper clutch is definately too tight. I rarely wheelie anymore, except for the rare occasion where I get really good traction and the front pope up a bit.

I wouldn't suggest gearing to a higher tooth pinion. My motor and ESC get pretty hot with the default 19T on the flux and am awaiting some smaller pinions, an 18 and a 16 to try. The 16T will be used with the sand paddles and with the 19T I almost cooked the motor and ESC!

bigmd74 01-06-2009 06:00 AM

how much should i back off the slipper nut?

e-firestormer 01-06-2009 06:56 AM

just back it off 1/4 turn at a time then have a play. I honestly am not sure how much I back mine off because I totally removed the nut, sping and spur to give it all a good clean after a run in the sand then reassembled and adjusted it.

eaterofdog 01-06-2009 11:27 AM

Well, it was a mistake to order from myatomic.com I had bought from them on ebay with no issues and thought they would be okay. It's been a week and I haven't gotten my shipping notice. The TBR bumpers arrived in two days.

Edit: I got the shipping notice a few minutes after posting this. Does myatomic watch this forum? LOL They had a killer price ($150 shipped) for the Firestorm. I see it is getting more popular and is out of stock in many places, AND the prices have gone up.

SuKeZ 01-06-2009 05:50 PM

Hi, has anyone tried to put some onroad or other body? Do you know where can I get longer body holders?
Thanks

e-firestormer 01-07-2009 05:55 AM

Hi guys, just been stripping down the storm to put in some new diff cups and axels and encountered two problems:

1) one of the rear axels has not been machined properly and is too big to fit into the bearing! It's too much hassel to return it back to Tower Hobbied (from Australia) so will have to get it turned down on a lathe or something.

2) when I removed the rear turnbuckles I realised that they were different lengths! the left was nearly 5mm longer than the right! I looked in the manual and it doesn't give the default lengths so I don't know whick turnbuckle it incorrect. I don't have a camber gauge so might have to play around to get the correct length. Anyone know what length the rear turnbuckles should be?

electricrcdude 01-07-2009 07:42 AM

2) That's weird. If I remember correctly, All the turnbuckles are 2 3/4 inch, or approx. 63 mm. I remember because I measured to get Lunsford ones and they did not carry a set for the 'Storm.

eaterofdog 01-07-2009 09:09 AM

Both turnbuckles should be M3x69mm

e-firestormer 01-07-2009 09:26 AM

Thanks guys, that is sort of what I was after but not really! I think I have used the incorrect terminology. I meant the whole thing, the total length of the turnbuckle plus ballcups. For the T4 the rears are 91mm long from ball cup centre to centre but it doesn't give any indication in the e-firestorm manual of what length they should be.

I have adjusted them to what looks right but if anyone knows the total length they should be I would be most greatful.