RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

kilimats 05-01-2009 07:51 PM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Two things...One take the pinion gear off the motor and roll the truck on the floor...Is it still noisy,if not then its the motor or the pinion spur mesh. If it is still noisy then its in the tranny...Two your aM radio should have better range then that,Mine goes 100 yards easy.
regarding the noise, I think it was like that when i got it, don't remember perfectly, a video would help, I can make one if there is none I guess

The flux motor is quiet, only the transmission, even so I lubed all gears

Regarding the range, the TX batteries are brand new, Is there any tips to increase it ? [&:]

redfisher1974 05-01-2009 08:03 PM

I edited my above post with some ideas..

redfisher1974 05-01-2009 09:04 PM

I see that Duratrax is using The tatic 2.4ghz radio that we have talked about for one of their rtr rally cars...

tokzik 05-02-2009 05:35 AM

there is one thing i would like to comment on the firestorm flux for those who are buying new.
the chrome wheels it comes with are no good if you are going to drive hard the silver plastic is actually torn off by the wheels under a lot of stress so you will end up re-gluing them a lot, an easy fix would be to ditch then asap and replace with anything none chrome.
this only tends to happen on the rear wheels and you will probably notice this in a lot of vids or pics..th rear wheels will probably be a different color.
i managed to get about 2 hours use out of the standard rear rims and as cool as they looked i had to change them for some nice black ones because they just couldnt handle the awesome power of the flux motor !
so far this is the only fault i could find LoL
....i loves my flux :D
anyone who is thinking about buying one... dont think just do !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q9DsV3QsX4

redfisher1974 05-02-2009 06:55 AM

Good advice...my Storm came with black rims...Looks better then chrome.

camper66 05-02-2009 09:03 AM

How embarassing. I just got my E-Firestorm flux in the mail and could not wait to fire it up. I placed the truck on the ground and hit the throttle. However, I am not used the speed of brushless and it promptly ran into the wheel of my wife's van. In less than a 20' run on my new truck, I broke the front suspension arm. I put some Gorilla glue on it and it held long enough for my first rough bump, and it came out of place again. Oh well, I guess I will be waiting for the mailman to deliver my new A-arms before I run again. Lessons in life are hard sometimes.

kilimats 05-02-2009 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: camper66

How embarassing. I just got my E-Firestorm flux in the mail and could not wait to fire it up. I placed the truck on the ground and hit the throttle. However, I am not used the speed of brushless and it promptly ran into the wheel of my wife's van. In less than a 20' run on my new truck, I broke the front suspension arm. I put some Gorilla glue on it and it held long enough for my first rough bump, and it came out of place again. Oh well, I guess I will be waiting for the mailman to deliver my new A-arms before I run again. Lessons in life are hard sometimes.
Replacing it with the same part will not help preventing damage the next time you hit a static object at high speed

I got the full Aluminum upgrade (read the last few pages) and did my first 1 hour ran yesterday without braking a thing, I did hit one or two static objects at high speed (F**** weak signal) but knock on wood, VERY STURDY !

The reason I broke so many part is first of all because the front plastic component are BADLY DESIGN, way to thin to handle the flux speed and second of all the TX/RX range, as soon as the signal is weak your firestorm will accelerate like a mad cow and hit something really hard.

So to recap

1- Get full aluminum front parts
2- Get 2.4Ghz TX/RX

Shame on HPI for selling the flux like that at this cost, spent over $700 to finally enjoy a no damage run

camper66 05-02-2009 11:11 AM

I wish I had posted before I ordered the replacement parts. The A- arms on the site you linked were only $10 more than what I paid for the plastic ones.

I did order the ones that are the composite nylon, so maybe they will hold up better. Thanks.

kilimats 05-02-2009 11:12 AM

I wish I had posted before I ordered the replacement parts. The A- arms on the site you linked were only $10 more than what I paid for the plastic ones.

I did order the ones that are the composite nylon, so maybe they will hold up better. Thanks.
I hope it will, let us know

Remember that if you go aluminum, do it all otherwise the impact will be transferred to other plastic part

73 05-02-2009 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: kilimats
Shame on HPI for selling the flux like that at this cost, spent over $700 to finally enjoy a no damage run
We share your frustrations with broken stuffs. But the front end is shared design w nitro Firestorm, and many E-FS owners don't break their arms all that much. They do get some play and out of shape a litttle, but arms breaking under normal use is not regular occurrence.
In my humble opinion the truck built is ok, it's just that sometimes we crash it harder than anything could handle. [:o]

I believe the composite arms won't take to hard impact as well as the softer stock arms. The composite arms on some XXX-T broke when driven into solid objects, while the soft arms on the HPI survived much better.

kilimats 05-02-2009 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: 73
We share your frustrations with broken stuffs. But the front end is shared design w nitro Firestorm, and many E-FS owners don't break their arms all that much. They do get some play and out of shape a litttle, but arms breaking under normal use is not regular occurrence.
In my humble opinion the truck built is ok, it's just that sometimes we crash it harder than anything could handle. [:o]

I believe the composite arms won't take to hard impact as well as the softer stock arms. The composite arms on some XXX-T broke when driven into solid objects, while the soft arms on the HPI survived much better.
Yes, that is my point, the flux being faster, HPI should have built strong front part to handle impact better, its not really me driving like a kid but more about the ridiculous AM TX/RX loosing signal and the thin front part built for lower speed

Regarding the Transmitter range, I do agree that it is reasonable when in an open field, but when you start playing around houses on the street it become dramatically reduced. I broke all my stuff playing on the road, if you loose sight or got a little too far (20 meters), the trucks goes on a raping rage

HPI should have improved the front parts
HPI should have added 2.4Ghz TX/RX

The End...

I don't know about Traxxax brushless, are those any better than HPI, or still the same poor design ?

tokzik 05-02-2009 06:00 PM

i dont quite understand what parts or how you are managing to break stuff, i have been out jumping and playing bumper cars with a hyper 8 and nomatter what i put the car through the only thing getting damaged was the shell... we have been jumping at high speeds and sometimes landing real badly from well over 4 meters high with all stock plastic parts except the rear wheels. We were actually trying to see who could jump the furthest/highest or both ;)
the only thing i am starting to see as a problem is my engine cover, bumpers and scratch plates, will need replacing constantly and i cant seem to find just full set of scratch and plates they only sell them with other parts i dont really need... any one know of anywhere i can get them¿?

kilimats 05-02-2009 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: tokzik

i dont quite understand what parts or how you are managing to break stuff, i have been out jumping and playing bumper cars with a hyper 8 and nomatter what i put the car through the only thing getting damaged was the shell... we have been jumping at high speeds and sometimes landing real badly from well over 4 meters high with all stock plastic parts except the rear wheels. We were actually trying to see who could jump the furthest/highest or both ;)
the only thing i am starting to see as a problem is my engine cover, bumpers and scratch plates, will need replacing constantly and i cant seem to find just full set of scratch and plates they only sell them with other parts i dont really need... any one know of anywhere i can get them¿?
I said it twice, I broke my Suspension arm and two bulkhead by hitting static object when loosing the signal

Do you have TX 2.4Ghz ? Do you have the flux ?

Regarding the scratch and plates? I think having a custom thin aluminum sheet underneath the truck should help, did that to mine, works like a charm. Looks like that
http://apollo.czweb.org/rc/E-Firestorm_onroad.jpg

TheAnalogKid 05-02-2009 09:59 PM

For those interested, here is a link to T-Bone Racing bumper set. They are very good, I have them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-RC-Bumper-SET-HPI-E-FIRESTORM-1-10-stadium-NTS_W0QQitemZ350161817121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5187454e21&_trk sid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A1 2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

kilimats 05-02-2009 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAnalogKid

For those interested, here is a link to T-Bone Racing bumper set. They are very good, I have them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-RC-Bumper-SET-HPI-E-FIRESTORM-1-10-stadium-NTS_W0QQitemZ350161817121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5187454e21&_trk sid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A1 2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Are you spamming your own product?

FYI: I got them, They are a little too sturdy, not really shock absorbent.

I took off the front since the screw included were not keeping the bulkhead secure, the rear is good, I added a thin sheet of aluminum to protect it and I can wheely without damaging anything

TheAnalogKid 05-02-2009 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAnalogKid

Are you spamming your own product?

FYI: I got them, They are a little too sturdy, not really shock absorbent.

I took off the front since the screw included were not keeping the bulkhead secure, the rear is good, I added a thin sheet of aluminum to protect it and I can wheely without damaging anything
Spam. I don't think so. Have a look at where they are, Idaho and have a look where I am. Oh yeah, the other side of the world. I have them on my e-fs and they work very well for me. I have hit a boulder I have in my backyard, the garden shed and they have sucked it up well.

ElectricGuy007 05-02-2009 11:10 PM

I have ran mine pretty everywhere and have noticed redfisher's posts and they have been very helpful, thanks.
The E-firestorm is a very tough, and people at the track that run T4's have been jelous that I have not broken as much as them.
Heck, believe it or not most have quit, and run either slash or just nitro now.

redfisher1974 05-03-2009 12:33 AM

This does happen with any rc that can go 40mph when you hit a object with the wheel...it puts the full force on the a-arm....I guess I have been lucky in over 100 runs the only impacts have been dead on the bulkhead and no breaks what so over...You have to rember this is 1/10 scale so 40mph is like 400mph in a real car.That being said I think the compisite arms will be stronger.....Have fun and Let us know how those new arms work out...oh and dont peg the trigger untill you are out in the open;)

redfisher1974 05-03-2009 12:39 AM

Replacing it with the same part will not help preventing damage the next time you hit a static object at high speed

I got the full Aluminum upgrade (read the last few pages) and did my first 1 hour ran yesterday without braking a thing, I did hit one or two static objects at high speed (F**** weak signal) but knock on wood, VERY STURDY !

The reason I broke so many part is first of all because the front plastic component are BADLY DESIGN, way to thin to handle the flux speed and second of all the TX/RX range, as soon as the signal is weak your firestorm will accelerate like a mad cow and hit something really hard.

So to recap

1- Get full aluminum front parts
2- Get 2.4Ghz TX/RX

If i were you I would contact HPI as you have a two year warranty on the flux...And tell them about the bad range problem and they should send you a new rx and tx....You should be getting 100 yards of range no problem...I can run mine as far as you can see it and have never ran out of range....That being said I told you before to stop running into static objects...:D Just messing with you...

redfisher1974 05-03-2009 12:42 AM

I would not get the aluminum ones...As kilmat will tell you they will just transfer the force of the impact into the bulkhead and you will break it instead....Just try not to run into things,Maybe turn the brakes up so you can stop quick.

redfisher1974 05-03-2009 12:45 AM

Time for bed...Just got back from a wedding with a open bar.....Need sleep.

kilimats 05-03-2009 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

I have ran mine pretty everywhere and have noticed redfisher's posts and they have been very helpful, thanks.
The E-firestorm is a very tough, and people at the track that run T4's have been jelous that I have not broken as much as them.
Heck, believe it or not most have quit, and run either slash or just nitro now.
you race so im guessing you have the 2.4Ghz.

Seems like everybody had good experience with their firestorm

Here is my recap
Those with Nitro don't go as fast = less damage
Those with E-Firestorm brushed dont go as fast too = less damage
Those with E-firestorm BRUSHLESS go too fast = easy damage

And im also guessing most of you use 2.4Ghz = no mad cow acceleration when signal is lost

Am I guetting this right? if so, one final advise for all Brushless owners = do the 2.4Ghz upgrade to avoid high speed impact ! thats how I broke my parts :(

Aluminum is great but optional if you drive on 2.4Ghz. It becomes a must have if you keep your AM transmiter and it also doesn't hurt if you run on 2.4Ghz of course ;)

SuKeZ 05-03-2009 03:39 AM

I have to agree with redfisher1974 - all metal parts are not good to absorb hits imo. I prefer metal (C-hub + steering block) to plastic (A-arms) to metal (front arm mount) - same on the back. All you can brake in really all cases is A-arm. Again it is about to be easy on throttle when you mess up with brushless when you getting used to:) unless you have plenty of space surrounding you with no objects to hit...drag brake could be helpful too...how about to try gyro? Works perfect to hold the line...

tokzik 05-03-2009 04:23 AM

yes i have a flux and i run on 35mhz... the 27 it came with were also glitchy on mine so i had to change it before it caused a problem. im using a futaba receiver and a ff7 i already had, sorry to hear about the radio problems causing an accident thats the last thing you want when purchasing a new rc car , LOVE the look of you ali plate, i think ill be making a similar one as the plastic just dont last when racing around off road.

73 05-03-2009 10:50 AM

Agree that the soft plastic front skidplate and rear chassis mount are not standing up to offroad jumps well, I've beaten up a few skidplates and now switched to cheaper plastic skidplates made myself. Would be good to have aluminum ones like the guys here, but I'm not sure if that will create stress to the bulkhead screws.

Regarding the stock AM radio, maybe we got it to run OK as the trucks are ran at the track, without all the concrete structures around. I had issues too when I install Novak SS brushless, it seem to interfere with the stock radio. Have been doing fine since I got a DX3R 2.4ghz. Then again, the stock Motiv system seems to work well on the Flux I came across though.