RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official E-FIRESTORM thread (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7259802-official-e-firestorm-thread.html)

allicedout 03-21-2008 11:20 AM

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

1 Attachment(s)
Since I didn't see one, I thought i'd start one since everyone else seems to have there own thread. So here it is folks, post up your rides and what you have done.

E-Firestorm
Stock

Attachment 2239276

Josh222 03-21-2008 11:48 AM

RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

No brushless yet but any day now.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...cture110-1.jpg

allicedout 03-21-2008 12:28 PM

Nice to have a fellow "Bramptoner" chime in.

Enzyme80 03-21-2008 05:04 PM

Monday I will have mine!!!! Err hopefully the blue but I like the red as well guess I will find out in three days!

rbjeepthing 03-21-2008 06:15 PM

Here ya go

SideWinder 5700 with Castle Link
Deans connectors
1000wt diff fluid
HPI solid rims and Proline Blades for the front and Bow Ties for the rear

Suspension
Next on the list was in the suspension department. At the time when I was shopping HPI did not have a broad enough range of springs for my liking so I went with AE spring sets front and rear. The spring retainers that fit into the top of the HPI springs do not work with the AE ones so to remedy the situation I have recently installed a set of AE shocks. Currently I am running the AE shocks with AE Gold springs up front and AE Blue springs in the rear. The truck handles like a dream when running on an indoor track which is clay. I have no desire to further change the set-up.

As for Batteries and Charging duties I am running Peak Racing 3300Nimh x 3 which last for about 15min each and one 3300 Peak Racing 2s Lipo pack. I have a Hyperion Charger a OFNA power supply.

Now onto the all important pics!

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...torm001kn1.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2...torm002cy7.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8...torm003ui0.jpg

powerslider 03-21-2008 08:54 PM

Mamba Max 5700 on 7c IB's, Proline Lugnuts and Edges on solid white dish HPI rims. Rear springs to the front and Losi blacks on the rear. Futaba FM radio gear....

allicedout 03-21-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: powerslider

Mamba Max 5700 on 7c IB's, Proline Lugnuts and Edges on solid white dish HPI rims. Rear springs to the front and Losi blacks on the rear. Futaba FM radio gear....
Got any pictures??

powerslider 03-21-2008 08:59 PM

Sorry no pics yet, I'll try to get some later....[:o]

freestylingford 03-23-2008 02:31 AM

Here is a few of my setup

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...d/100_1441.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...d/100_1439.jpg

savtraxx 03-23-2008 02:42 AM

my friend has one its actually does about 35 mph with a taller pinion but im gettin a rusty vxl (maby)

savtraxx 03-23-2008 02:44 AM

woa nice rides gooo the fluro didhes!

omg no name 03-23-2008 03:41 AM

is the e-firestorm better than a rustler xl-5

sheograth 03-23-2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

is the e-firestorm better than a rustler xl-5
I'd say the E-Firestorm is better, but thats just me.

allicedout 03-23-2008 08:19 PM

Nice pics guys, keep them coming.

green_overcomer 03-24-2008 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my own E Firestorm. All stock but I'm loving it. ;)

supamagician 03-24-2008 02:32 PM

Nice rides. soon ill be part of this group. i should be getting mine once i get the money in about 1 or 2 weeks

green_overcomer 03-24-2008 03:30 PM

Thank you. I've ran my Firestorm over sand, rocks, and pavement and done some mini jumps over curbs and doing those have left me satisfied with what my kit has done so far. ;)

allicedout 03-24-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: green_overcomer

Thank you. I've ran my Firestorm over sand, rocks, and pavement and done some mini jumps over curbs and doing those have left me satisfied with what my kit has done so far. ;)
Nice man, I had the pleasure of doing some 3 ft jumps off some snow banks at the end of my house that turned to ice. Couple of jumps off the 5 steps in front of my house, smoked 2 curbs and had it on its lid once. Still going as new. Throughly impressed with the truck, can't wait for the weather to get better.

Enzyme80 03-24-2008 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine... just got it today. Sad to say I won't be able to run it until Weds. but plan on running for a good amount of time then!

calvino 03-25-2008 12:36 AM

wow, those are some nice pics, I am looking for one as maybe a racer but prob more a basher truck, anyone know the aprox turning radi or it, since I have a track with 5' lanes, and was wondering if it could make it around it?? I like the threaded shocks, turnbuckles... stock[8D], must SCREAM with a mamba:D

Enzyme80 03-26-2008 12:29 PM

I have read through the manual many times and I do not see anything about breaking in the motor. However most posts I read say break in the motor. I just want to know is it necessary to break it in for the e-firestorm or can I just put the battery in and go to town? First run will be today and I can't wait!!!! blast you 9 to 5.

annie_himself 03-26-2008 12:43 PM

Josh, change those wires to 12gauge. Those cause alot of resistance.

Redvanmafia 03-26-2008 12:48 PM

The e-firestorm is a nice truck, but will have to see how it compares, it hasnt been out very long and no real reviews have be ritten, it'll have to stand the test of time, i hope it does well but sumthings telling me it wont take off like people think its gonna, I was gonna get one but then i desided on the stampede xl-5 insted

DARKWAV 03-26-2008 01:01 PM

I'm sure most folks just drop in a freshly charged battery and take it for a run.

I broke mine in just by running the car whith the wheels off the ground for about 10 minutes. Tough to remember what I did exactly, something like 25% throttle for 5 mins and 50 % throttle for 5 mins.

At that point I was really new to the hobby and didn't want to mess with removing the pinion gear. I also didn't have a device/charger that could break in a motor.

Anyway I think it helped and recommend doing some form of break-in on the motor. My friend got an E-Firestorm a couple weeks after I got mine. He didn't do any break-in procedure. Before we both went brushless, my truck was always a tick faster than his, even when running the same brand and capacity battery. We run the same brushless setup now and are dead-even.

Enzyme80 03-26-2008 01:09 PM

Thanks, I think I will give that a shot. I would rather do it even if it is only going give me a little more. I figure the motor will be replaced soon enough but I might as well get my money's worth out of the car being stock.

Quote:

The e-firestorm is a nice truck, but will have to see how it compares, it hasnt been out very long and no real reviews have be ritten, it'll have to stand the test of time, i hope it does well but sumthings telling me it wont take off like people think its gonna, I was gonna get one but then i desided on the stampede xl-5 insted
I just want to know why you think that? I mean it is cheaper than the AE and the Losi, a little more than the Rustler, but over all it has some great concepts to it, more adjustable than the Rustler and a little more bashable than the AE or Losi (now that part is just from what I have read so take it as you will). I mean maybe you are correct but I just wanted to know if you had a reason to think that.

Redvanmafia 03-26-2008 01:12 PM

well you have the top big guys, Losi and Ae, they make a nice st, for racing and such, then you have your more starter st's like Evaders Rustlers that type thing so the markets full its covered from Expert to Beginner, will HPI be able to make a stab and take or have a spot with these St's/trucks that have been around for a while? Look at the raven and that, people thought it was gonna be great but..... i donno, ware does the firestorm stand in most peoples eyes?, is it a racing cablable rig like a losi or ae or is it more in the beginner ST crowd?

green_overcomer 03-26-2008 03:15 PM

Hi guys. It has been advertised that the E-Firestorm is brushless ready. I have the red one with everything stock. I would like to shift to brushless soon, but I'd like to assume that I don't need to replace my batteries, ESC and gear combinations anymore as it is considered "brushless" ready. Am I correct in my assumption? If otherwise, can someone recommend good but affordable brands for the brushless motor, ESC, etc. Many thanks!

rbjeepthing 03-26-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

well you have the top big guys, Losi and Ae, they make a nice st, for racing and such, then you have your more starter st's like Evaders Rustlers that type thing so the markets full its covered from Expert to Beginner, will HPI be able to make a stab and take or have a spot with these St's/trucks that have been around for a while? Look at the raven and that, people thought it was gonna be great but..... i donno, ware does the firestorm stand in most peoples eyes?, is it a racing cablable rig like a losi or ae or is it more in the beginner ST crowd?
You missed the most common area. HPI has filled the void between a cheap inexpensive entry level truck and a top of the line set-up. The E-Firestorm falls right in the middle and has the price of the less expensive trucks and the quality parts of the more expensive trucks where they are needed. Effectively bridging the gap between the two.

I have had mine out about 30 times now and have bashed it pretty good including landing upside down off a second story. I have only broke 2 ball studs. I have been running with guys who have Losi, AE and Traxxas vehicles and I can tell you mine has had far less down time then any of their trucks. The only difference I have found when sport racing is the AE had better handling out of the box. However I through some AE shocks on mine and set-up and now feel it handles just as well.

I purchased one of the first E-firestorms from my lhs then they didn't sell much of them cause people were skeptical like yourself. Last week 4 guys were watching us race and after seeing my truck perform against the AE and Losi trucks 3 of them bought the E-Firestorm. I asked them why the decided to get it and they said simply "Best bang for the buck". I would agree.

Enzyme80 03-26-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Hi guys. It has been advertised that the E-Firestorm is brushless ready. I have the red one with everything stock. I would like to shift to brushless soon, but I'd like to assume that I don't need to replace my batteries, ESC and gear combinations anymore as it is considered "brushless" ready. Am I correct in my assumption? If otherwise, can someone recommend good but affordable brands for the brushless motor, ESC, etc. Many thanks!

I am pretty sure you have to replace the ESC. The one it comes with is rated for 15 turn brushed motors and above. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding.

DARKWAV 03-26-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

You need to replace the stock ESC and motor with a brushless ESC and motor. Your batteries will need high current connectors that you will need to solder on such as Deans connectors or Traxxas high current connectors.

The best deal out there right now is the Sidewinder 5700 system (brushless ESC and motor combination) for about $130-150 depending on where you buy them and what discounts are available at the time. 5700 is good because it is fast on 6 cells.

For batteries you should at least be running 3000 mAh 6 cell stick packs...even Venoms work. Of course you'll get even greater performance out of better batteries.

Stock gearing works fine on an E-Firestorm with Sidewinder 5700.

My friend has a red E-Firestorm also. Completely stock except for the Sidewinder 5700 system. He used Deans plugs for the batteries and ESC. Just to be on the safe side we swapped out the connectors on his Castle motor (there can be some reliability issues with the original connectors ... which may be more noticable when running lower quality batteries like Venom 3000/3600 batteries) for 4 mm CC Bullets.

I've also got the Sidewinder 5700 in my E-Firestorm.

"Brushless Ready" is more or less referring to the fact that HPI incorporated an all-metal transmission and sealed gear differential that can reliabily withstand the stresses of brushless power.

green_overcomer 03-27-2008 04:49 AM

Thank you DARKWAV for the comprehensive response. I'll see if I can order some from Towerhobbies soon.

Access 03-27-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia
have been around for a while? Look at the raven and that, people thought it was gonna be great but..... i donno, ware does the firestorm stand in most peoples eyes?, is it a racing cablable rig like a losi or ae or is it more in the beginner ST crowd?
Most people aren't racing at the pro level, they are racing at the club level where even a rustler can get 3rd or 4th place (in a race of 6) if it is set up and driven well. The E-firestorm might not make all the sacrifices that a T4 or XXX-T makes as far as weight, but it is 80% of the way there and club level racing just isn't that competitive to the point where it will make a noticeable difference.

Eman77 03-27-2008 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spiffy shocks just dying to be on the E-Firestorm...

*drool*

DARKWAV 03-27-2008 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pictures of my E-Firestorm...

Eman77 03-27-2008 10:35 AM

Nice! Dig the shocks, man.

DARKWAV 03-27-2008 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More E-Firestorm pictures. In their natural habitat...

annie_himself 03-27-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

Pictures of my E-Firestorm...

Can you say "sex appeal?"

rbjeepthing 03-27-2008 08:39 PM

Since this is now becoming a pic thread too I decided to jump in!

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1460/img0674gv6.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/140/img0679tv9.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9982/img0677ru1.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7119/img0666vs7.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4681/img0665rh9.jpg

supamagician 03-27-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

More E-Firestorm pictures. In their natural habitat...

DUDE!!!!!! im going to go crazyy waiting on this car and now seeing those pics makes it worse lol
my hobby shop special ordered the e-firestorm for me and i should have it sometime next week

Frozen72 03-27-2008 09:23 PM

I want to sell my Evader to get one of these. How durable and reliable are they?