RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7367370-official-traxxas-slash-short-course-race-truck.html)

Lilredmachine 07-06-2008 05:07 PM

RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Er, I highly doubt it. A pair of buggy rims and some 'chassis tuning' isn't going to make up for the bump riding and stability an extra 5 inches of width and plush, wide rims and tires brings.

Yes, the chassis sits between the 2.5 and 3.3, but is closer to the 2.5, and the wishbones on the Revo change the wheelbase so a swap to the slash type short arms would alter the wheelbase without changing the chassis.

So what you get is a 2.5 length Revo with a 3.3 power plant and a third of the width 'slashed' off. Not a recipe for good handling.

crazysavage 07-06-2008 06:09 PM

Er, it would most likely involve 2 pair of buggy rims not one and there would most likely be tires on them. The arm length and wheel base closely resembles an 1/8 th scale buggy. The video clearly shows the forgiveness and plushness of the slayer. Stiffen things up a bit, select the correct tread pattern to match the track conditions and your revo could very likely be looking at the bumper of the slash. Buggy times destroy all revo times at every track I run at and that includes the $650 platinum revo. If the track was littered with concrete blocks, the revo would win for sure. Long live the revo. It's a different animal and my thoughts were just that, thoughts. I didnt mean to offend your loyalty and defense of the revo as compared to this truck. It doesnt matter what the slayer was derived from. The arm length alone puts it in a different category and and the much smaller tires seperate them even more. But one thing for sure is it will be way way way lighter than any revo with the same horsepower and that spells faster and more nimble. I would face yours or any other revo on any track with a scoring system and would place cash money on the table that I would be victorious, with buggy tires!

toyotanos 07-10-2008 10:30 AM

Does anyone know if a 8-cell hump pack will fit with the stock battery hold-down? Also, wondering what runtimes I should expect with a 4000mAh pack with stock motor (adding a 17T pinion). Just ordered a new slash, so I'm looking for battery options. It's been too long since I had a 1/10 electric.

Lilredmachine 07-10-2008 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

Er, it would most likely involve 2 pair of buggy rims not one and there would most likely be tires on them. The arm length and wheel base closely resembles an 1/8 th scale buggy. The video clearly shows the forgiveness and plushness of the slayer. Stiffen things up a bit, select the correct tread pattern to match the track conditions and your revo could very likely be looking at the bumper of the slash. Buggy times destroy all revo times at every track I run at and that includes the $650 platinum revo. If the track was littered with concrete blocks, the revo would win for sure. Long live the revo. It's a different animal and my thoughts were just that, thoughts. I didnt mean to offend your loyalty and defense of the revo as compared to this truck. It doesnt matter what the slayer was derived from. The arm length alone puts it in a different category and and the much smaller tires seperate them even more. But one thing for sure is it will be way way way lighter than any revo with the same horsepower and that spells faster and more nimble. I would face yours or any other revo on any track with a scoring system and would place cash money on the table that I would be victorious, with buggy tires!

Nah, sorry. If weight had that much of an effect in truck racing then the recent MT nationals would not have been won by an LST2 over the pursuing pack of Revos. You know full well I meant a set of buggy rims and tires, don't be an arse.

I didn't realise that if you chop the arms down on a Revo and fit buggy rims it becomes an RC8, that's awesome! It has similar dimensions, so we'll ignore the massively higher center of gravity and totally un-buggy like design, and the fact IT'S A REVO. I'm going to go find my old Tomy Intruder and install some modern 1/8th buggy rims and see if it turns into a Losi 8 at the track!

I don't love the Revo. I have one which I don't use because I run electric. I run a heavily modified E-savage which laps faster than the 1/8th buggies on our track, and considerably faster than the other MTs, often by several laps in a 15 minute main. I infact hate the Revo, it's an impressive machine but is totally removed from what I know and love about monster trucks.

An E-slayer on the other hand... then you might be talking.

crazysavage 07-10-2008 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: crazysavage

Nah, sorry. If weight had that much of an effect in truck racing then the recent MT nationals would not have been won by an LST2 over the pursuing pack of Revos. You know full well I meant a set of buggy rims and tires, don't be an arse.

I didn't realise that if you chop the arms down on a Revo and fit buggy rims it becomes an RC8, that's awesome! It has similar dimensions, so we'll ignore the massively higher center of gravity and totally un-buggy like design, and the fact IT'S A REVO. I'm going to go find my old Tomy Intruder and install some modern 1/8th buggy rims and see if it turns into a Losi 8 at the track!

I don't love the Revo. I have one which I don't use because I run electric. I run a heavily modified E-savage which laps faster than the 1/8th buggies on our track, and considerably faster than the other MTs, often by several laps in a 15 minute main. I infact hate the Revo, it's an impressive machine but is totally removed from what I know and love about monster trucks.

An E-slayer on the other hand... then you might be talking.
Now your talking, too bad you have to put words into my mouth, must be a personnal traight...I dont remember saying it would handle as well as a buggy, especially an RC8(which I happen to run) I agree with you that the revo is in no way shape or form, a monster truck and that an E-slayer would be very cool. As you can tell by my screen name, that savage you mention sounds incredible. My Slash is the first electric I have ever run and it's super fun with sway bars, extended arms, buggy shocks, custom shock towers and a Mamba Max 770 with 7.4 28C lipo. Nice talking to you...Er, I think>

intimidator_md 07-10-2008 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A hump pack won't fit with the stock battery strap. I've got some 6 cell brick packs that I use and I just fashioned a velcro strap that slips into the grooves.

intimidator_md 07-10-2008 09:58 PM

I've found that Associated MGT 8.0 body fits the Slash. Dimensions are 22 long by 10 wide by 5.5 high. It's a little narrower than the slash body as far as the fenders go, but the width of the slash in the middle is 10 inches. So if you cut out the back of the MGT body it will fit right over the rear bumper. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTZD0&P=0

62 bugzilla 07-10-2008 09:59 PM

I like the sway bar idea. Is there anyone painting the clear bodys yet? I want to get a custom one.

dacaur 07-10-2008 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: toyotanos

Does anyone know if a 8-cell hump pack will fit with the stock battery hold-down? Also, wondering what runtimes I should expect with a 4000mAh pack with stock motor (adding a 17T pinion). Just ordered a new slash, so I'm looking for battery options. It's been too long since I had a 1/10 electric.
I know a 7 cell hump will fit, the kind that is like a stick pack with an extra cell on top in the middle (like this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTAY3&P=ML ). also a 7 cell pack with an extra cell crosswise at the end will fit (like this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTZF9&P=ML )... so i imagine if the pack were set up like a stick pack, with one extra cell crosswise at the end, and the other cell on top, it would fit, or if it were set up like a stick pack with the two extra cells on top it would fit too... (like the first link, except with 2 cells instead of 1 on top)
for runtimes, with the stock pinion and a 3800mah 6 cell pack, im getting 10-15 min. thats with lots of full throttle starts and full brake stops, running up and down the street and into and out of the yard....

t9dragon 07-10-2008 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 62 bugzilla

I like the sway bar idea. Is there anyone painting the clear bodys yet? I want to get a custom one.
I bought a clear body today. I am still deciding how to paint it. It was $30 for it.

toyotanos 07-11-2008 03:43 PM

Thanks, it's a good thing I didn't order these packs up: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-9-6V-3800mAh-Hump-NiMH-Battery-Pack-4-RC-Car-Tamiya_W0QQitemZ330250131969QQihZ014QQcategoryZ340 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Ebay 8 cell[/link]. What do people think of the tenergy brand battery packs. I have several AA's and they work well for me, but I have not yet gotten into the RC side of them. These are the packs I'm thinking about getting now: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-8-4V-NiMH-3800mAh-Battery-Pack-for-Airsoft-EP-Glide_W0QQitemZ300240064632QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3405 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Tenergy flat pack[/link]. I know that there are better batteries for it, but right now I'm trying to get cheap to see if I like the way the slash acts. If I do, I'm looking to upgrade to Lipo and brushless. If an E-Slayer comes out, that'll get the brushless, and the Slash will be a second vehicle.

crazysavage 07-11-2008 03:53 PM

Thanks, it's a good thing I didn't order these packs up: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-9-6V-3800mAh-Hump-NiMH-Battery-Pack-4-RC-Car-Tamiya_W0QQitemZ330250131969QQihZ014QQcategoryZ340 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Ebay 8 cell[/link]. What do people think of the tenergy brand battery packs. I have several AA's and they work well for me, but I have not yet gotten into the RC side of them. These are the packs I'm thinking about getting now: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-8-4V-NiMH-3800mAh-Battery-Pack-for-Airsoft-EP-Glide_W0QQitemZ300240064632QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3405 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Tenergy flat pack[/link]. I know that there are better batteries for it, but right now I'm trying to get cheap to see if I like the way the slash acts. If I do, I'm looking to upgrade to Lipo and brushless. If an E-Slayer comes out, that'll get the brushless, and the Slash will be a second vehicle.
Just my opinion, the stock speed control just doesnt get it. I ran my slash with a 7.4 Lipo in the stock set up and it was just boring. I have a Mamba Max and lipo and yes it had to be turned way down but the slash can handle the power. People are pounding the mess out of them and the only thing that is getting waisted is the spur gear and that is usually because they run the slipper locked down. If an E-Slayer comes out or if you do a conversion(I think I will) a tenth scale brushless system may not provide the kick you need. The Slayer is going to be much heavier. I'm a nitro guy at heart so take this only as my opinion but once you run brushless in your slash, you wont want to go back unless you upgrade to a speed control that can be wired for high power. Please correct me if I'm wrong everybody...I'm just learning. I would go brushless and dont risk throwing money down the drain for battery packs that will not run a futrue brushless system.

dacaur 07-11-2008 05:13 PM

Thanks, it's a good thing I didn't order these packs up: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-9-6V-3800mAh-Hump-NiMH-Battery-Pack-4-RC-Car-Tamiya_W0QQitemZ330250131969QQihZ014QQcategoryZ340 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Ebay 8 cell[/link].
those packs will fit fine with the stock battery strap. its shaped to fit as many packs as possible, and has a cutout in the center for hump packs.

nlsolja26 07-11-2008 08:07 PM

Hey guys I need some advice. I'm getting a slash tomorrow and plan on running it stock (brushless in the far away future) and I'm not sure what battery packs to get.

There's a deal for 2 3300mah packs for 50 dollars at the lhs. Will these packs be good enough or should I spend more money on one better pack? Thanks

crazysavage 07-11-2008 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: nlsolja26

Hey guys I need some advice. I'm getting a slash tomorrow and plan on running it stock (brushless in the far away future) and I'm not sure what battery packs to get.

There's a deal for 2 3300mah packs for 50 dollars at the lhs. Will these packs be good enough or should I spend more money on one better pack? Thanks
Those packs will do just fine for bashing. You may want to go to 7 cell for extra speed.

nlsolja26 07-12-2008 11:25 AM

Alright just got the slash today. The guy at the lhs said they had 30 in stock 3 days ago and now they're down to less than 10! Can't wait to get out and run this thing. The best part is its wet and rainy but I can still actually drive with it!!

Alpha Male 07-12-2008 04:39 PM

I ran my Slash today and made a little video...if you've got 2 minutes forty seconds to kill. [sm=biggrin.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORFhuOBcN1U

crazysavage 07-12-2008 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Alpha Male

I ran my Slash today and made a little video...if you've got 2 minutes forty seconds to kill. [sm=biggrin.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORFhuOBcN1U
Very well done video, great bashing spot!

brushlessboy16 07-12-2008 04:48 PM

nice vid, anyone who wants to get rid of a slash let me know :D

ASATRUGGYFAN 07-13-2008 08:42 AM

I got my SLASH this weekend and I love it! I've been heavily in to the "racing" scene for close to 20 years and have been racing 1/8 buggies and truggies for the last 5 years. Anybody who wants to bash it cause it not this and that get out and drive one I promise it will put a smile on your face. I'm going to try and start a spec class at my local track, but if doesn't take off I will just run it against 1/10 stadium trucks. I going to sell my Kyosho ST-RR so I can get a SLAYER and do the same and I think my local track is liberal enough I could run it with the standard monster trucks (REVO,LST2,SAVAGE,MGT) if there is not enough SLAYERS to run. Just remember that everything doesn't have to be cutting edge to be "FUN" sure traxxas used some tried and trued designs but they work. By no means am a TRAXXAS fan boy I've only owned 2 Traxxas products out over the 100 I've had in my life time they have hit the mark with these two.

crazysavage 07-13-2008 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: ASATRUGGYFAN

I got my SLASH this weekend and I love it! I've been heavily in to the "racing" scene for close to 20 years and have been racing 1/8 buggies and truggies for the last 5 years. Anybody who wants to bash it cause it not this and that get out and drive one I promise it will put a smile on your face. I'm going to try and start a spec class at my local track, but if doesn't take off I will just run it against 1/10 stadium trucks. I going to sell my Kyosho ST-RR so I can get a SLAYER and do the same and I think my local track is liberal enough I could run it with the standard monster trucks (REVO,LST2,SAVAGE,MGT) if there is not enough SLAYERS to run. Just remember that everything doesn't have to be cutting edge to be "FUN" sure traxxas used some tried and trued designs but they work. By no means am a TRAXXAS fan boy I've only owned 2 Traxxas products out over the 100 I've had in my life time they have hit the mark with these two.
I'm with you on that one race brother...I'm dropping my RC8 for the slayer. Can you imagine that truck with the proper buggy tires on it> 17 mm adapters should drop right on with no mods. Ofna makes a chrome corr type wheel for the old original truggy way back in the 80's. Kyosho and Ofna fought it out in the 1/8th scale stadium truck class and then it faded away. That wheel looks awsome on the slash. The width and diameter are almost identical just a lower profile tire. You should see the slash on a clay track with M3 hole shots, Major blast!

BuzzBomber 07-13-2008 09:11 PM

Picked up a Slash today after watching the Slash spec class race at the local track.:D

big terp 77 07-13-2008 09:50 PM

what would be my best bet in replacing the wheels and tires while maintaing its stance. im thinking 1/8 buggy rims? anybody have any pics of them set on their slash?

t9dragon 07-14-2008 12:29 AM

Here are a few pics of my new Slash body.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...h/DSC04923.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...h/DSC04926.jpg

Bugg_zy 07-14-2008 01:26 AM

Well went down to the shop and picked up my "Slash" today. I opened up the shink wrap and pulled me and my Son's new beast out. Nothing like the thrill of purchasing a new R/C and with great expectations of the ensuing smile that genrally comes with the first pull of the trigger. My first thought that came to mind was how large it is. I beleive it's being presented as a 1/10 scale but this thing is BIG. I would judge it around 1/8. Most likely due to a body that actually covers the tires. I could not run it right away but had the time to peruse the instructions(was at work). I started charging my old 3000mah venoms that I had in my starter box last year. The instructions were the normal traxxas fare, very informative with a quick start guide to get you going without having to read everything. One thing that is a nice feature is there is a few paper tags rubber banded in various spots of the truck. One on how to set up the speed control if need be(it's set at the factory), one for how to extend the life of your motor, and one(this one was a suprise for sure)a set up guide to improve on road performance. One line on the motor tag left me going..HUH? it reads as follows-"Avoid repetitive stopping, starting,(and the best part)direction changes". To funny. After reading through I decided to give the rig a good lookover. I liked alot of the features offered with this rig, sealed electronics,realistic looks, great price(yes this is a feature!) metal gear differential etc.. Also great one for parents thinking about buying this rig, or just folks new to R/C. A speed controll that let's you tame this beast to 50% throttle. The speed control comes with 3 profiles. Standard, race, and training. These are easy to change by following the set up insturctions. Also A nice feature is the remote has a swith that you can change from a 50% throttle 50% brake, to a 70/30 set-up. A nice touch on a RTR in this price range. The only thing I noticed that I did not like from first inspections was when the suspension is compressed there is noticable tire rub on the front AND rear tire's. Traxxas in my opinion should have adressed this in delopment. On more note was the instructions on antenna instalation. Aside from the normal sliding the tube into the hole, the Slash includes a compression nut and tool to tighten the nut down to keep the antenna securely in place. I cannot wait for luch break to begin!
Ok lunch time. I am lucky enuff to work right across form a large dirt lot with a few bumps a ruts to make it more interesting. I installed my old Venom 3k and headed across the street. I know this was gonna limit my punch/top end etc. but knew I would still have some fun. As I feared there was alot of tire rub. Also as stated it's a good idea if you are going to run it on-road to do the suspension set up tips. The suspension set up out of the box is really soft. On hard surfaces there is alot of body roll. But when ran across ground with alot of small bumps the truck flowed really well. On the small jumps I had to work with it took off and was a pleasure to jump. Really realist looking. Also this thing is a pleasure to pitch sideways. Very predictable handling all around. I am sure just the shear size of the rig helped alot with stability etc.. The tires had just the right amout of bite to make driving this rig a blast. Also the revo speced slipper is a great touch. As mentioned you get alot of bang for your buck with this one. I ran 2 packs though the Slash and examined it. The normal scratches from going over rocks and just genral bashing were there but no big. One thing I would have liked to see on this was instead of the gridwork undercarriage peices, I wish the put some solid plates of plastic. I can easily invision branches, or any pertruding objects hanging this rig up. But not any kind of a deal breaker. Oh one more thing to mention I thought was interesting is the on/off switch, it's actually the same button on the ESC that you use to change the profile's. No seperate switch. Press once, on again, off. Very nice. The only thing that had issues after the first 2 runs was the pre installed velcro used to hold the sides of the body in place. It came off of the body and both sides were left stuck to the chassis.
All and all a great rig, for the experienced and beginner's alike. I could go on some more but getting long winded as is. Have fun and enjoy!! I know I will.