RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7367370-official-traxxas-slash-short-course-race-truck.html)

BigTb17 04-19-2008 12:19 AM

RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

I have seen a lot of talk about this truck and it almost always devolves into an argument about how different/new it is or isn't, and how Traxxas is either brilliant or lazy/stupid.

Here is my take. I am looking for a new 1/10 RC car/truck and I found this a few days ago. I have always like this type of truck and always thought that this type of real racing looked more like RC racing than anything else. I liked the look of the Slash and I liked the features (waterproof, adjustable turnbuckles, steel gears). I don't have a Rustler or a Stampede and I don't really care how much this truck is like them or different from them (although I guess if it is similar it might help parts availability). I like the look of it and the rumored price is in my price range.

I am not discouraging discussion or even argument (technically I am now in on it :D ). I just wanted to point out that if this truck appeals to someone it doesn't really matter if it is mechanically similar to the manufacturer's other offerings. Traxxas can still release something drastically new and different. Does it really hurt anyone if they release something similar to what they already have in the meantime?

savtraxx 04-19-2008 12:42 AM

cool features extreemly ugly body they should take the front and rear bumper off.

i know what this car would be good for! a "fashion truck" i do it with toy grade rc's i make them look good by puttin my micro t venom micro rescue and some other toy cars on them and drive around and get heaps of runtime. its actually quiet fun but very random you can also put stuffed toys on them!:)

jwrAMC 04-19-2008 08:58 PM

I am a Tamiya diehard, but this Slash is pretty sweet looking...tho the body is not much of a realistic effort. I will remain on the fence until I see it in person. At least the truggy look is not here. That is a big plus. Give me scale or give me death.

VXL ENCHILADA 04-21-2008 07:06 PM

Way to go Wipe Out i agree,

Anyways i think the body is too big for the chassis... it looks very odd to me. I would much rather have a ruslter :eek:

jwrAMC 04-21-2008 07:26 PM

Huh? The Rustler *doesn't* look odd? Seen many 1:1s like that?:eek:
I'm so over buggies that wish they were trucks. Gimmee trucks that look like trucks.[8D]

BigTb17 04-21-2008 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jwrAMC

I am a Tamiya diehard, but this Slash is pretty sweet looking...tho the body is not much of a realistic effort. I will remain on the fence until I see it in person. At least the truggy look is not here. That is a big plus. Give me scale or give me death.
A bit off topic (ok, completely off topic) but you say you are a Tamiya diehard? Where can I get a CC-01 chassis (I really want one and a Toyota FJ body)?

Back on topic. I am definitely considering getting a Slash. It should have performance similar to other stadium trucks (though it is a little heavier, with a bit more ground clearance) and it looks much more like a real CORR truck. Pretty cool.

jwrAMC 04-21-2008 09:05 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180212557206

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130210680209

offshore1 04-22-2008 09:13 PM

The Slash is longer and lighter than the Desert Truck.

Krazy Chicken 04-22-2008 09:43 PM

idk if anyone posted this, but if you want a vxl shalsh, it might be comming out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CaC0...eature=related

DriftingDragon 04-22-2008 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: offshore1

The Slash is longer and lighter than the Desert Truck.
and looks cooler

KBurns 05-06-2008 04:42 PM

I for one am very happy to see a true water proof/water tight R/C car. My first R/C cars where the Tamiya F-150 and Rough Rider witch where water proof. Water tight is something most all R/C kits have lost.
I do remember the awesome feeling when I would come upon a person running a Kyosho, then I would start to run into mud and water and the amazing look people would give when they see a R/C car go threw water without a problem.
I am going to get a SLASH but am hopping for a kit version. The only thing I hate is that the truck is a 4 wheel drive truck in real life, but the R/C version is a 2 wheel version. My way of thinking is to put a buggy body and narrow tires on the front. If it is not scale then why bother.

DARKWAV 05-06-2008 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: KBurns
The only thing I hate is that the truck is a 4 wheel drive truck in real life, but the R/C version is a 2 wheel version.
Are you saying Traxxas is only sponsoring a 4WD CORR Pro-4 truck and doesn't have a sponsorship for the 2WD CORR Pro-2 class?

mkiiina 05-06-2008 07:27 PM

might be a good option for a rally base.....

DS 05-06-2008 08:08 PM

if they cme out with a vxl slash im deff gonna probably get it instead of a rustler vxl. what more could you want waterproof and brushless wow:D

BigTb17 05-06-2008 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

ORIGINAL: KBurns
The only thing I hate is that the truck is a 4 wheel drive truck in real life, but the R/C version is a 2 wheel version.
Are you saying Traxxas is only sponsoring a 4WD CORR Pro-4 truck and doesn't have a sponsorship for the 2WD CORR Pro-2 class?

If you read the Traxxas site it says that they will be involved in Pro-2 and Pro-4 classes. In most of the videos it appears to be the Pro-4 trucks, but it is hard to tell.

Always Dreamin 05-06-2008 11:35 PM

If you don't like the Slash, don't buy one. I think it looks like a great truck. The only reason I'm not getting one is because I already have something very simular. As far as Traxxas goes, I have no problems with them. Call me a Traxxas fanboy, cause I really support Traxxas. I will just rember who the Losi fanboys are. Anyways, I like how Traxxas keeps the same old designs out for a long time. Although it's great to have a new car, the re-vamped old ones really exite me. I might be the only one, but as a loyal Traxxas customer, I sleep well knowing that I wont be buying a new car next week. While other people might be buying new cars, I will be adding a few parts to mine. I will be up to date, and right alone with the newer Traxxas owners.

As it is now, you could have a xl-1 with a few vxl parts and pretty much have a vxl. Traxxas is doing find in my eyes, and we all have our opinions. Thats mine.

NOTHING AGAINST LOSI!! This was not to compare the two companies in any way...

mrbonez 05-07-2008 12:13 AM

it looks like the slash should handle really nice imo. it actually looks just like a stadium truck . wish they wouldn't use the titan tho , or at least gear it short from the box and let you go up from there

BuzzBomber 05-07-2008 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Wipe Out

If you don't like the Slash, don't buy one. I think it looks like a great truck. The only reason I'm not getting one is because I already have something very simular. As far as Traxxas goes, I have no problems with them. Call me a Traxxas fanboy, cause I really support Traxxas. I will just rember who the Losi fanboys are. Anyways, I like how Traxxas keeps the same old designs out for a long time. Although it's great to have a new car, the re-vamped old ones really exite me. I might be the only one, but as a loyal Traxxas customer, I sleep well knowing that I wont be buying a new car next week. While other people might be buying new cars, I will be adding a few parts to mine. I will be up to date, and right alone with the newer Traxxas owners.

As it is now, you could have a xl-1 with a few vxl parts and pretty much have a vxl. Traxxas is doing find in my eyes, and we all have our opinions. Thats mine.

NOTHING AGAINST LOSI!! This was not to compare the two companies in any way...
I agree 100% with the part highlighted. Everybody complains about how Traxxas designs are old, yada yada......but the thing is, they keep making them because they keep on selling. And they keep on selling because THEY WORK, which is far more important than being NEW. Tamiya keeps a lot of their old designs around, too, and discontinues others, based on sales and durability/performance. Some of the Tamiya designs are over 15 years old, but so what?! They're bulletproof and perform well, as do the "old" Traxxas designs. Likewise the Monster GT: I have the original .21 powered version, and in over six gallons and 4 years, I've had ONE part failure. The MGT is on it's third generation, and most of the parts are directly compatible with my "ancient" .21. Why change what works, unless you can SIGNIFICANTLY improve it? I'm glad to see that Traxxas made improvements to their existing design without reinventing the wheel. (rant over)

Always Dreamin 05-07-2008 10:19 AM

If i'm wrong on this, correct me. Because, i was not really into the xl-1's when they came out. It seemed like the vxl models are outselling the xl-1's? And they're the same design!

If the xl-1's were popular, so were the xl-5's, and now the vxl's have to be one of the most popular cars i've seen. Every other thread on here is vxl.

Always Dreamin 05-07-2008 10:22 AM

Either way, all im saying is that whatever Traxxas is doing, is WORKING. I think they should keep it up.

They did it with the E-maxx, Revo, T-maxx, Jato (2.5/3.3), Rustler, Stampede, Bandit, etc.. Even there boats! Every boat exept the nitro vee has been replaced with another version of the same boat.

I think it's cool. [8D]

Contra_ 05-07-2008 11:15 AM

I think I've decided to get this truck as my first RC.

Contra_ 05-17-2008 03:23 PM

Its almost here...

Does prices usually change after a few weeks it comes out? does it go down or up? Should I wait a few weeks before buying?

Chris_RC 05-17-2008 05:51 PM

why is everyone soo impressed by waterprofed electronics??? I mean you still can't jump it into a puddle of water or anything. If you wanted to waterproff your esc/receiver, all you would have to do is put a ballon over it.

66impala 05-17-2008 11:19 PM

so quess they are 2.2 truck tires. i'm thinking proline moabs and bead locks for mine

Lilredmachine 05-18-2008 09:41 AM

Anyone else not noticed the fact that the Traxxas is a truck based on a CORR race truck type design, whereas the Losi Desert Truck is just that, a desert truck. Where does the losi truck claim to be a CORR truck?

Traxxas have failed in producing an accurate replica of a CORR truck, it doesn't have a live rear axle, bit of a defining point there. It looks really odd, cheap and god knows why, isn't brushless from the factory. Plus it's a Traxxas, and I'm not really what you would call a Traxxas fanboy.

Traxxas's trucks have attained cult status, that is why they still sell. There are far superior trucks on the market, in both chassis design and build quality. But as long as everyone that comes here looking for advice on a new/first truck can be duped into buying a piece of plastic that any respectable company would have been embarassed to pen the design on back in the 80's, with a mental brushless system strapped to it, by this forum's mass traxxas fan boy league, Traxxas will get away with churning out the same damn trucks over and over again. How long has the majority of this forum been waiting for an E-revo? And what was the hold up? Too busy making minor revisions to some decade plus old designs so that a new generation of RC users can blindly buy an inferior product were we Traxxas? I'm so tired of them. Makes me want to sell my 4 Traxxas cars.