RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Official Losi Highroller Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8594270-official-losi-highroller-thread.html)

dmerc 03-19-2009 12:02 PM

Official Losi Highroller Thread

I apologize in advance if someone has already done this but I haven't seen much info on here for the Highroller. I know there is not a lot of aftermarket support. However, as many of you already know, the Highroller has a lot of parts in common with the Slider and Desert Truck. That being said it may be possible to fit parts from these other vehicles onto the Highroller. Also, since the DT is based of a Losi Race truck platform ( I think XXX-T maybe?) any part that fits the DT or its sisters could possibly be fit up to the HR also. I just got one of these trucks and it has it's strong and weak points like any other but so far it's been fun to drive with no issues. What do you guys (or girls) think?

dmerc 03-19-2009 02:53 PM

RE: Official Losi Highroller Thread

I've had time to do a couple more runs and noticed a couple of things:

1: The truck is pretty tough but I had a couple of mild mis-jumps (2'-3') and the rear bumper bottom mount cracked around the screw holes and detached, the plastic they used is just as crappy as most stock r/c bumpers. I really wish RPM made something that would work. I don't plan on forking over 8-9 dollars for a new bumper every time some portion of the bumper assembly breaks.
2: The transmission is noisy IMO, I greased the He!! out of it with thick lithium grease and it still sounds like it's grinding. I've taken it apart twice and all internals look great and it functions 100% from what can tell. I've also tried adjusting the gear mesh, no luck. The tranny case looks like the DTs so maybe we could put in the Metal Gear Diff from the DT and the XXX-T Steel idler gear, which also fits the DT.
3: As you can guess, the included Losi am radio sucks and has pretty bad range, maybe good for 150', maybe. But not a big deal if you use it for bashing which is probably it's intended purpose.
4: It has a great aluminum ring on the servo which you can access easily and quickly that adjusts the servo saver. Mine out of the box was so loose it would not turn left 75% of the time, tightened it and it works great now.
5: The stock slipper was also set relatively loose, maybe to preserve the tranny, not sure. I tightened mine about 1/2 and it seems to be fine even doing small jumps and off-road running.
6:It has decent pick-up although maybe some higher gearing would give it more top end, it's a tiny bit slow on the top. Stock is 12/90 so it's definitely geared for more low end off-road type surfaces.

Has anyone else had any issues like these or others?

dmerc 03-23-2009 11:13 AM

Anybody else interested in this truck???

Lilredmachine 03-23-2009 11:19 AM

I'm interested in it, I don't own one though. It looks to be of slightly higher end build than the Stampede which it undoubtedley apes.

They need to release a VXL rival brushless version though, that would force it into the limelight a bit more.

You got any pics of yours? Not enough on teh innernets!

dmerc 03-26-2009 01:49 PM

I'll try and get some up soon. I haven't done much to it yet but after I get my Desert Truck converted to brushless this one will be next. Stock it's a pretty good truck, suspension is great and some decent low end. Before I go brushless I will replace the one plastic gear the transmission has and maybe try to find a metal Diff. Once that is done I have no idea how it will run but I will keep updating this thread as much as possible. I did just put some washers between the rear bumper mounting screws and the bumper mount and it seems to be holding up to bashing very well. I have a buddy that has a Castle MM Brushless HR on 3S, it is Fast! I'll try to get him to post up.

moshbox 05-06-2009 06:53 PM

Wow, pretty quiet in here.

I'm new to the hobby... I got the HR as partial payment for a PS3 I had collecting dust. lol

It didn't take long to get hooked. I've read alot of negative things about the HR and while it does have its weaknesses, at the end of the day it''s still a helluva fun thing to drive. I put a sidewinder 4400 brushless in after my first weekend tearing up an abandoned lot. Not that I didn't have a blast with the stock motor, but i'm a bit of a speed freak, had a fist full of cash from selling the ps3, and all the cool kids were doing it, so i went for it

Its insane now. I had to completely change up the front end just to regain control, but i got it setup like that second hand so for all i know i just put it back to factory settings... unforttunately in the course of taming it, I did some serious damage. lol I sheared the motor shaft, took out half the spur gear and snapped the tranny mounts doing donuts in the street. So many complaints about losi's transmission, but I opened mine up and its in mint condition. I probably should have backed the slipper off after I put the brushless in, but Castle's sending me a new motor anyway... great service! I went with the alum tranny mounts and ordered a metal ider gear and 15/18/21T pinion gears to play with while I was at it.

As I said, I'm hooked on this thing. If there's some tougher cross model parts we can use I'm up for trying them out, even if it means mild to moderate mods. I'm already rigging up a custom battery mount for a pair of 8cell packs and I've got a list of other things I want to try.

FieroMan121 05-06-2009 07:49 PM

im really interested in how this truck compares to a pede, im a diehard peder so im a bit biased but it seems you guys are having some luck!

Jeremy Z 05-06-2009 07:53 PM

I almost bought one of these too, but the 'pede was already proven.

Another thread I found on this said the gearbox cannot handle brushless power.

I suspect the shocks are higher quality than Traxxas', and the body looks better, but Losi is a little late into this game.

I'm curious how it holds up after you cartwheel it a few times.

moshbox 05-06-2009 09:43 PM

I hate to risk turning this into another 'vs' thread, as its so damned hard to find any constructive threads about the HR on the webs, but truth be told if this was something I'd researched before I bought, chances are I would have gone with a 'pede for no other reason than twice the top end out of the box, but as others have said, how long are you going to run the rtr motor anyway? I have what I have and I actually enjoy the challenge of modding w/o widespread off the shelf parts.

I don't know about these reports of the weak gearbox. I jammed mine up enough the pinion chewed half my spur gear before the motor shaft finally sheared off. No sign of damage inside the gearbox. I went through several packs on pure speed runs and it held up just fine. I'll let you know how it holds up to the 5000mah/8cells and different pinion gears.

The bumpers sure are ****ty... not sure I even want to replace them with losi replaement parts as they're prettty much designed to fail at the mount points...

Jeremy Z 05-07-2009 09:47 AM

One thing I've noticed about Losi vs. Traxxas: Losi has better shocks.

Top speed is not really the point of a monster truck. If it is, then you should have bought something more suitable for top speed.

The point of a monster truck is to be able to clear rougher terrain than the stadium trucks and buggies that have so little ground clearance.

In a recent issue of RC Driver, in an article about the best budget cars (under $200) they recommended the High Roller for a good budget 2WD monster truck. I don't know if they really believed it is better than the Stampede, or if they just didn't want to appear too pro-Traxxas, since they had just recommended the Slash for a good choice too.

I came very close to buying one, but everything pointed to the Stampede being more durable, and that was more important than shock quality for me.

For comparison's sake, the Stampede's AM radio is great. I can run it as far as I can see it with no problems. Maybe you're getting interference? Maybe by the time you get 150' away, something else on or near that frequency is putting out nearly as strong of a signal as your Tx? Like a CB.

If the High Roller becomes successful, I'm sure RPM will make parts for it.

christo4uk 05-09-2009 07:48 PM

hay HR fans, (its nice to say that after scowering the net and finding only critism for the HR)

im a total noob to this guys so please bare with me and spare some time to reply... and il be forever gratefull :D iv got a few questions to ask...

i got a highroller only a couple of days ago and already buggered her up, my idler gear shredded... do you think its cus i set the pinion and spur gear to tightly together??... so anyway iv sent off for aluminion idler gear wich should hold out better now. i really wanna put some love into her and get the best out of it witch brings me too me other questions lol...

is there any metal spur gears out there on the market cus i cant see it being long before that shredds either ... also im liking the sound of the brushless... is it worth getting cus by the sounds of what moshbox said il probably need to upgrade some of the other parts first

Red Shirt Ensign 05-12-2009 01:37 PM

I'm pretty new to the scene and came in with no knowledge of either Losi or Traxxas

I tried a Mini Ramminator and that did not hold up well... after owning for 4 days the ESC died.... Losi support was going to send another but they ran out of stock... after waiting a week for the delivery I called back and they said they didn't know when they would have more... good support though... they offered to have me send in my unit and they would replace the enitre box.

So I got the brand new sealed box and decided to take it back to the LHS and picked up a 'pede instead. I paid 129.99 on clearance for the Mini Ramm and only 154.99 for the 'pede... I have to say that for the money the pede offers a heck of a lot more power and options than I got from the overpriced Mini Ramm

Running on my street has also produced a lot more wow factor than the Mini Ramm did. I am glad I added the wheelie bar too the kids wouldn't be able to handle it without one!

Bottom line I have managed to crash the pede in spectacular fashion with absolutely no breakage

I know the the Mini is 1/18 vs the 'pedes 1/10 but I have to say I am very pleased with my 2nd choice.

Because of this success i am thinking of getting a 2nd pede for myself at christmas ... this time vxl!

This was my experience for what it is worth have fun with it!

FieroMan121 05-13-2009 02:43 PM

as far as spurs go, im not sure but maybe another losi cars spur will fit, also not sure but i remember hearing somewhere that the a-arms are from another losi car as well, if not im sure you could adapt losi xxxt or b arms to it and use like jato (the reason i said jato is cuz they are pretty nice links) or xxxt turnbuckles. just remember, use your imagination:D

Purplehaze81 05-13-2009 03:07 PM

Hi there,

Finally an post on the Highroller, I have won an HR on ebay last week it's arriving tomorrow. Can't hardly wait... I already own a mini-lst wich I've been pimping over the last year. That needed alot of modding before it became solid. I've build a single 1-10 servo in it. (exotek was pretty expensive) and put a lot of alu. parts in it. Also replaced the diffs and put a mamba 6800 brushless in it. Now I can drive for 45 min. non stop on a single 3 cell lipo 2800 mah. and it's extremly fast :) I will keep you posted on the HR project since I probably can't keep it original for to long. If there is some one who has began to mod the HR please post your experiences here so we can learn from each other.

moshbox 05-13-2009 06:12 PM

Hey guys!

@christo4uk - i don't think the lash on the pinion/spur would cause the idler to meltdown, but if you back off your slipper a half turn and slowly tighten it down until you get it just right you're gears and tranny will thank ya. there's no metal spur gears that I know of, but i'm going to look at possible matches with the xxx-t or others when I get my brushless repaired. brushless on the HR is insanely fun. most of the damage it caused was due to my own stupidity; slipper was too tight and i was using my curbed front street trying to dial in the suspension.

@red shirt - my brother also has a ramminator and never had any problems with the stock ESC. He's since upgraded to brushless and he loves it. its got way more punch than my HR, but I eventually overtake him >:)

As far as mods, my brushless is RMA'd so while its down i'm upgrading my busted tranny mounts and a-arms to aluminum. I'm also working on a custom battery mount/cell phone carrier to tie down my 8cell packs and have a cheap onboard rc cam lol i'm also looking at swapping my wheels with 2.2's to drop the CG a touch and maybe not roll so much

ElectricGuy007 05-14-2009 01:51 PM

Some parts from the 1/10 slider will fit this truck. I doubt it's a stampede killer since the stampede has a metal geared tranny.
I do however like the shocks that the truck comes with.

Purplehaze81 05-15-2009 05:19 AM

Oke, so my Highroller came yesterday. I couldn't wait so unpacked it and put a battery pack in it, and took it for a spin. It drives really nice, drove of some obstacles and it landed it so with a nice whomp. The car is pretty slow but I think thats because of the 1600 mah pack I used. I'm thinking of buying a brushless and driving with the 2800 mah 3 cell lipo's I already have. I'd like it to go about 35 mph. I can choose between a 8T or a 10T or a 12T. Since I have no expierence at all with the 1/10 scale (brushless) could someone please give me some advice? I don't want it to fly just drive a bit faster and longer on my lipo's.

Also I think I have to get the alu. idle gear because it is a bit loud to drive... Pinion still looks good.

Thanks, keep you posted

christo4uk 05-15-2009 06:33 PM

cheers mosh! il defo bare that in mind, well i guess it was nice to strip her down to her bare, gives you an idea of whats going on! im getting the alu idler gear monday hopefully, been bloody hard tryna get one as places are all out of stock! managed to get it from a place called modlesport uk, easy to find on the net if you guys ever want to get one. think it goes without saying if you decide to go brushless!

what are the best brushless systems anyway? think its a must after what mosh is saying! lol. cant be arsed right now to check what battery i have but im betting il need to upgrade that too if i want and least 10 mins play!

i agree with purplehaze, if anyguys have modded there HR pls post, and mosh keep us updated if you find parts that work for the HR... cheers guys.

moshbox 05-31-2009 10:54 AM

Well, Igot tired of beating on my brushless RC18Twhile waiting for Castle to send my replacement motor, so I threw the 'roller back together with the stock brushed electronics this weekend and turbo charged it with some 8cell 5000mah packs. The stock motor was pretty wild on 9.6v, tho, Ishould have headed the warnings when it started going into thermal shutdown and let it cool off for longer than Idid. As soon as Iswapped in a fresh pack the stock ESCdied. No worries, Ijust swapped in the Sidewinder ESC and reprogrammed it for brushed. Sidewinder's ESChas no thermal shutdown, so now Igotta keep an eye on the motor temp as it has a tendancy to let the smoke out if Ipush it too hard. It was quite a wild ride. Not as insane as brushless, but I *was* kicking ass against my brother's brushless Mini-T.

To the Stampede guys asking about the Highroller durability.... Iwas jumping the 'roller 5 to 6 feet in the air, and landing end over end as much as Iwas landing on all fours. No damage whatsoever to the chassis, if you ignore the fact I have no bumpers. Those snapped my first time out and are probably the weakest point on the truck. Irefuse to replace them with stock as they are poorly designed with the most critical stess points drilled out as mount points. Dumb! Replacing them would just be a waste of money imo. The only real damage I've done so far has been mostly due to my own stupidity... smoked a concrete curb square on at full throttle and had the slipper set too tight when Iinitially went brushless. Now that I've some driving experience under my belt, I've finally got through a weekend session w/o having to hit the local hobby store with a shopping list of replacement parts on monday. lol

@Chris - I'm not sure what the *best* brushless is, with the 'roller Iwent with a Sidewinder cuz that's what the guy at hobby store told me to go with. I've got one of those cheap generic purple ebay brushless motors in my RC18T and it goes ok, but it runs way hotter than the Sidewinder. But that's also 1/18 vs 1/10 scale so that Icould just be comparing apples to oranges as far as Iknow. My 2400 mah 7.2v pack barely got me 10m play on brushless. On brushed they didn't last much longer. The brushed motor easily goes 30+ minutes on my 9.6/5000mah packs. Ihave to wait for my replacement motor to see how they fare brushless. Small capacity packs definately cripple the brushless performance. so go as big as you can afford if you take the plunge. I've also got a 1500mah nicd that wasn't even worth the effort to swap in on brushless. Now that I've got my 9.6 packs, neither
7.2 is worth the effort.

Purplehaze81 06-13-2009 06:52 AM

Yo it's been awile, so I have got me a 12 turns brushless set from "modelcraft". The HR really was flying. It is so much more fun with brushless..... I use my 3000mah 3s lipo's with it with these accu's I can drive for like 35 min. Only after the first 15 min. my idle gear completely stripped. After replacing it for a aluminium yesterday I broke 1 tooth of my diff. This happened while my slipper clutch really was slippery and not to tight. So I will order another diff.

1. Does anyone no if there are stronger diffs for the losi HR.?
2. Also my motor is getting kind of hot, and I am thinking about changing the gearing for brushless any idea's what gearing will work good? (with the original gearing it is way to overpowered I want someting to gentle the transmission)

Thank you all and I will keep you posted

sheograth 06-13-2009 07:19 AM

It'd be a fine truck if the transmision was decenent.

Purplehaze81 06-14-2009 05:18 AM

Maybe it's possible with some minor changes to fit the losi "speed t" gearbox in the Highroller? http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSB0101ExplView.pdf
This should handle the power wel
</p>

Kitsune 06-14-2009 06:17 AM

Hmm... this truck has got me thinking about aftermarket part I could make for it. Seems like a good one to pick up on since it's got a few definate weak spots and other companies aren't making parts for it. Might be a good time to invest in gear cutting equipment because of it too.

Purplehaze81 06-16-2009 02:27 PM

Oke ordered 2 new diffs (one sparehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...unge_smile.gif ), had to look hard they seemed to be sold out, at alot of stores. I also ordered a new gear setting (the old one whas "pinion 12 &amp; 90") the new one is pinion 15 and spur 85. With this setting Ihope to bring down the force of the brushless motor on the gearbox. And with that safe my diff. and drive shafts. Can't wait to try it all out only I probably have to wait for another week till my packages arrive.

I'm very interested in what this truck really can do brushless, can't seem to find much movies about it on you tube... Is this maybe because it is a new truck? And is that why there are such little hopups available?

Keep you posted.
</p>

mousecritter 07-02-2009 06:33 PM

I'm thinking about buying a High Roller, but how's the handling? Does it tend to roll over on loose dirt?