RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Day at the beach. Oh boy. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8605400-day-beach-oh-boy.html)

aftermarket 03-22-2009 08:52 PM

Day at the beach. Oh boy.

So I was at the beach, it was crisp and clear. I didn't bother to waterproof because I was very far from the water, but I wasn't the only rc'er out there today. Turned on my mamba max and my radio and started driving around. Spotted someone with a flm stampede, pretty much all was aluminum. He also had a mamba max and a vxl equipped. We started to talk and he said, hold on, let me show you what it can do. He turns on his radio, which happened to be the same frequency as mine [&o], and my t4 TOOK OFF.

Straight into a dock support beam. No control of the car, and puddles started to form. I got to it just before the water hit the bottom of the chassis, so nothing was submerged. Phew!

Repaired the front end (snapped a rod and a control arm), but I tried to turn on my mamba max, and I lost all control of throttle, the wheels were going into pizza slicing mode and I got sand thrown into my face. Steering was fine. I looked at the rx and it seems that there was a green "mold" sort of thing among the metal that plugs into the rx. Never seen it before, does it spontaneously form when salt water is splashed onto something electric??

So I let everything dry and I turn it on again, this time it works fine, but is this "battery acid" looking thing going to eat away at my rx/ rx plugs until one day I lose control of my T4 and hit something else again??

Thanks for your answers and time.

rotor head33 03-22-2009 08:56 PM

RE: Day at the beach. Oh boy.

yea thats called corrosion it will eventually eat it just be careful and clean with some wd40

aftermarket 03-22-2009 09:07 PM

So it happens in a flash? Like the second water touches the metal?

And just a mist of wd-40 should do the job, right?

sheograth 03-22-2009 09:14 PM

Corrosion doesn't happen in a flash, but when seawater dries it leaves all kinds of mineral deposits immediately which can look like corrosion. Still, if you're going to run near saltwater be very careful and use lots of WD40 after the run.

aftermarket 03-22-2009 09:21 PM

Thanks guys. Just got a whole can. I'll spray it down really well.

Got a whole 3 minutes of drifting on sand before this happened. Hopefully not much moisture found its way through my rc.

Tricksligger 03-22-2009 10:35 PM

That sucks man, sounds like it could of been much worse.

I took the family to the beach today too. I almost took a couple trucks with me but didnt.

kilimats 03-22-2009 11:47 PM

I think a failsafe would have prevented the accident ...am i right ?

Flux Driver 03-23-2009 01:57 AM

Not sure if a failsafe would have saved it since the other person was on the same frequency. Your radio would override the failsafe, if I'm not mistaken in how they work. And the other person's radio was working as if it was the original. So as far as the vehicle was concerned, it was being controlled by its radio. I mean they're not programmed for specific radios. Just specific frequencies. So that's what it's looking for really.

I once had ocean water on my arms dry up after paddling. I didn't bother rinsing it off. It left white powdery substance on my skin that tasted like salt. I licked my arms to get some flavoring when I ate some chilli later that day.

sheograth 03-23-2009 02:30 AM

Switching to 2.4 ghz systems eliminates the frequency overlap problem..

Flux Driver 03-23-2009 02:57 AM

True. A LHS person was telling me about the Spectrum radios they sell. Up to 180 people can get together with these things and not have problems sharing the same frequency as someone else. You don't have to set a certain number on it from 1 to 180. It keeps you on your own channel or frequency thing automatically when there are others present. I gotta get me one of these.

aftermarket 03-23-2009 05:49 AM

What is the cheapest 2.4 radio? I should look into that!

omg no name 03-23-2009 06:37 AM

This would be your best bet:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZT7&P=0

sheograth 03-23-2009 08:15 AM

You can get this too, a bit cheaper

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPM20210

hkenvy91 03-23-2009 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Switching to 2.4 ghz systems eliminates the frequency overlap problem..
was just thinking that!!