RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   MAKE MY RUSTLER A RACER (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8781669-make-my-rustler-racer.html)

Lurp06x 05-19-2009 10:56 AM

MAKE MY RUSTLER A RACER

OK I have been told before that the rustler isnt a racer but i want to make mine a little more race friendly. I race with the stock slashes. an i just burned out my titan motor an waiting for its replacement. im sticking with brushed so they keep me in the same class. its the team check point money 19t. i have got a 20t pinion an a 86t spur in it right now. i going to put some integy piggyback front an back shocks in. an replacing my tires with some proline dirt hawg for front an rear. i think was wondering is thereany plastic parts thatneed to be replaced to help with performance?

04DarkShadowGT 05-19-2009 11:14 AM

RE: MAKE MY RUSTLER A RACER

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Lurp06x

OK I have been told before that the rustler isnt a racer but i want to make mine a little more race friendly. I race with the stock slashes. an i just burned out my titan motor an waiting for its replacement. im sticking with brushed so they keep me in the same class. its the team check point money 19t. i have got a 20t pinion an a 86t spur in it right now. i going to put some integy piggyback front an back shocks in. an replacing my tires with some proline dirt hawg for front an rear. i think was wondering is thereany plastic parts thatneed to be replaced to help with performance?
I wouldnt replace any parts until you break what you have. But if they let you run in the slash class you have the best car already. The rustler has a lower CG and wider tires with the same basic suspension setup. You have an advantage there.

Imo there is no reason to replace the shocks unless you just want to get the extra bling factor. The piggy pack integies are fine but not great. if you want aluminum shocks, I would suggest the traxxas big bores.But I find the stock plastic ones to be just fine, Id put some teflon tape on the threads of the shock caps if you have issues with them popping off.

As far as tires, the dirt hawgs are a good all purpose tire, but not a racing tire. Most people seem to use proline bow ties or something similar on the rear and then some proline edge or similar up front on racing stadium trucks.

Throw in the 19t money motor.Id suggest gearing it 17/86 but you can play with that if you want. 20/86 is a bit over geared for a brushed rustler, the old rule of thumb used to be run a pinion gear two teeth lower than your motor rating.
<br type="_moz" />

john01374 05-19-2009 11:42 AM

At the club level it normally comes down to the driver. You should have no problem keeping up with stock Slash's. The rusty is lighter and has a lower center of gravity. I wouldn't spend any money on parts unless you break something.  I'd just charge up every battery you can get you hands on and head to the track for practice

junion 05-19-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Check out the Ultimate Rustler for some ideas to make the rustler truely race ready.

MTboy 05-19-2009 12:44 PM

Holy crap that has got to be the sickest custom build truggy I have ever seen..  I can only hope someday I will be good enough to attempt something like that.   Thanks for sharring that link it really showed me why I love this hobby. 

SlashBasher 05-19-2009 05:38 PM

The right tires can make all the difference...What kind of track is it? pics? also for good shocks I would gte some losi truck shocks. they are great! very smooth and dont leak.

MTboy 05-19-2009 06:19 PM

What Losi truck shocks are you talking about?  I just searched and have to say theres a ton..lol  Can you point me to the right ones please?

Mufasa_719 05-19-2009 06:32 PM

I would assume he was talking about the shocks for the Losi XXXT. But I dont think shocks will be a big issue like 04 Dark said, what you do want to do is find the spring/shock oil combo that works best for your track. If your truck is getting thrown around in the bumps and stuff try a lighter spring(softer). As far as parts like the others have said no need to replace anything untill you break. John01374 has some great advice too get as much practice as you can. Hope we all have helped. Good luck out there and have fun

SlashBasher 05-19-2009 06:38 PM

Yeah, the xxx-t or xxx-nt shocks but yeah a spring and oil change will help, at least get some aluminum shock caps though becuase you dont want the caps to op off in the middle of a race. Thats if you keep the stockers.

Lurp06x 05-19-2009 09:44 PM

so for stock races everything is fine except new tires. what about lets say i want to go to 1/10th 2wd mod truck races. what should i do or would i be better off getting a new truck. </p>

an heres a video of the first time i drove on the race track. </p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGi6BbDzC8</p>

this is the track i drive on the most.</p>

Chris_RC 05-20-2009 12:09 AM

If you go into mod truck, you really need to get a better car (i.e.e Factory team T4 or xxx-t cr) and good electronics and can get very expensive early. I just say stick with the slash class until you consistantly beat them-practice is what you need. Like I said, you arent bad, just stay out of the puddles and find out how to get a pin style conversion for your rustler (make a thread if necessary because the pin style adapters is your key to all 2.2 truck tires)

bandaro 05-20-2009 03:18 AM

all hpi tyres, to my knowledge, come with the pin adapter for traxxas trucks. i have a set of tamiya steel adapter ones in my rusty atm.<div>
</div><div>as for the racing part, you must always remember, driver aside, the tyres are 90% of the setup. you runt the wrong tyres, and you will always be slipping out/oversteering, loosing a precious second or two at every corner. the rustler is lighter than the slash, so use this to your advantage, accelerate hard and get away from the trouble, the slash will be slower to catch up, and there are always many ways to "put off" the following driver, fake stalling, braking randomly, etc, while these are not always moral, they are a good thing to know for the last few corners, where 2nd wont count...</div><div>
</div><div>but being in the class you are, its better to race friendly, because people wont be afraid of losing because they ran into you...</div><div>
</div><div>upgrade wise, i would get a new servo (stock isnt too great), bearings, trim down the chassis, and shorten the wires as much as possible. ive heard of in excess of 3 feet of wire being removed from a stock truck. batteries are also vital, if you can, some zippy lipo's (hobycity.com) are a great option, cheap and will handle a brushed motor with ease, or some spc nimh cells.  Also, lighten everything you can, cutting down rotating mass will help alot.</div>

FieroMan121 05-20-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

OK I have been told before that the rustler isnt a racer but i want to make mine a little more race friendly.
like hell it isnt!!!! if i can race with my pede and win a rusty can be raced as well! if they have a st class go for it, just set up your car right for the track, play with stuff like your suspension, buy different oils and springs, ya know, tune ithttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

like what was said, dont buy unless you break, but if you do break stuff look at rpm's line of stuff, tough as nails! as far as tires, look at a tire with small or tiny step pins, really, your best bet is to see what the 1/10th st guys or if they dont race st often look at what the 8th scale guys run, if they run crime fighters than run a similar 1/10 tire

tires ive found work with the pede:

if it feels like thick sand (dry clay) ive found that gladiator 2's hook up great! but if its like my local tracks current setup which is basicly super hard with a thin layerof dry clay(kinda like sand on asphalt or cement) than a really small tire like proline hole shotsor small step pinslike losi's step pin or proline bow ties work pretty good (bow ties are being discontinued so buy soon)

Lurp06x 05-20-2009 11:44 AM

alright sounds good dont buy new things untill they break. when they break replace with a better part. an get new tires that fit for my track. oh an i still need to get a new motor a brushed motor that is. i fried my titan. i pretty set on ae or team check point. team check point money 19t or a reedy flash 17t.

traxxaspede 05-20-2009 04:16 PM

I dont mean to hijack this thread on anything, but I assume most mods on the rustler can also be done to a stampede? you also might want to try some 17mm adapter to use low sidewall 1/8 buggy tires.

FieroMan121 05-20-2009 05:54 PM

yes most will, infact the pede is much easier to mod since it so simple.</p>

buggy tireshavelow sidewalls but they are narrow so they really dont do great on a stadium truck or pede (learned from experience) they look great but dont handle as good as a set of wide offset racing 2.2 tires and rims.</p>

MTboy 05-20-2009 06:29 PM

I read that dish wheels that stick out further is good to use for racing but can't seem to find any.  Anyone have a link to some with tires to fit, or is the wheel just off set so any 2.2 tire will work?  Also my Rustler seems to be heaver in the rear.  Do you think a aluminum shock tower would help level it out or any ways to help balance the truck more...

FieroMan121 05-20-2009 06:59 PM

the old xl1 rims are nice and seem to work for me

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXJF49&amp;P=K

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXJF50&amp;P=M

traxxaspede 05-20-2009 08:01 PM

what about 1/8 truggy tires/wheels? or would those be too big... also check out the ultimate stampede and ultimate bandit builds on ultimatetraxxas.com they might give you some more ideas, as all three trucks are pretty similar. make sure you have bearings in the wheels too, they help a lot. also, what I did on my stampede to lengthen the chassis 1.5 inches is cut out a 1.5 by about 1.5 inch peice of aluminum as a spacer between the tabs on the rear of the chassis and the rear shock tower. then i drilled two holes 1.5 inches further back for the rear skid/chassis brace. if yo do that, you will need two of the little white spacers used for the shocks under the aluminum plate closest to the front of the chassis. You will have to find a way to modify the body mount, or drill a new hole in the body. for my stampde all i had to do was mount the body mount on the other side of the shock tower pointing forwards instead of backwards. but the rustler doesnt have that do it might not work as well.

Chris_RC 05-20-2009 08:27 PM

The racing wheels are Proline, Losi, etc. The Losi wheels have the hex adapters.</p>

FieroMan121 05-20-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede

what about 1/8 truggy tires/wheels? or would those be too big... also check out the ultimate stampede and ultimate bandit builds on ultimatetraxxas.com they might give you some more ideas, as all three trucks are pretty similar. make sure you have bearings in the wheels too, they help a lot. also, what I did on my stampede to lengthen the chassis 1.5 inches is cut out a 1.5 by about 1.5 inch peice of aluminum as a spacer between the tabs on the rear of the chassis and the rear shock tower. then i drilled two holes 1.5 inches further back for the rear skid/chassis brace. if yo do that, you will need two of the little white spacers used for the shocks under the aluminum plate closest to the front of the chassis. You will have to find a way to modify the body mount, or drill a new hole in the body. for my stampde all i had to do was mount the body mount on the other side of the shock tower pointing forwards instead of backwards. but the rustler doesnt have that do it might not work as well.

already mentioned that, they are not great for racing, i know, ive tried.

and yeah it doesnt hurt to do some janging but its not necasary to go overboard. ive found that all you really need to do is remove some of the plastic from the chassis and you should be good, if you realy want, you can also dremal out the front arms.

the best way to see your rusty place well is to set up your shocks, clutch, and toe/camber and get the right tires. you can go and do everything else but tuning is the best! combined with practice and consistant laps and you will see good results!

Lurp06x 05-21-2009 10:51 AM

Alright back to the rustler i still need a motor an i can make up my mind. i really dont want to get a another titan but thats the only thing that my lhs wants to sell me. i am only looking at brushed motors right now. i have in mind this motor. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XRBE9&amp;P=SM but have some questions about it. on the team checkpoint website they say it is mainly for touring cars. but other sites say i can use it for 2wd trucks. but its a 19t. my titat was fast an its a 12t but this is a 19t that means its got more power like torque but will it give me the speed. </p>

kahnen 05-21-2009 01:53 PM

Are they trying to only sell you a titan motor because thats what all the slashes are running, and there trying to keep the speeds the same?

FieroMan121 05-21-2009 02:19 PM

yeah sounds like thats what they are doing                                                                                                 </p>

the thing is, the titan is a 550 motor where as the 19t is a 540, its probably about the same, the titan is junk anyway </p>

Lurp06x 05-21-2009 02:20 PM

No because i was talking with them an they were telling me its better to go with the titan an just replace it as a needed basis like its normal to replace the motor two or three times a year. an i looked around an thats the only motor that they carried that would work for ym car. i really dont want to be worried about my motor crapping out on me all the time. i know brushless is way better but very expensive.