RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/8857294-cars-trucks-would-you-not-recommend-based-your-experience.html)

Jeremy Z 06-16-2009 05:09 PM

Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

There are a ton of threads asking things like: "I'm a noob. What truck should Iget?" or "What is the best car?"

There's a thread going now, over in the general forum asking why it always turns into a fight when someone asks what is best.

That made me wonder, based just on your experience, what cars/trucks have you guys had that you would not buy again?

I'll start. If they Tamiya re-releasedThe Falcon, I wouldn't buy it. It didn't seem like Ihad to hit a curb very hard to break the chassis, back in the day.

I wouldn't buy a Tamiya Brat again. Maybe Ihad unrealistic expectations, but I expected it to be a bit more durable. The steering tie rod is always bending on me. I've only ever had mild crashes. (never into a curb or anything hard, just roll-overs) I've never jumped it. Just not durable enough, even though it was considered pretty durable in '83. I was going to buy a Slash, but wanted to build a car from parts, so Iwent this way.

<u>Flipside:</u>

On the other hand, I would buy a Stampede or Lunch Box again. Both very durable and fun. By extension, I would risk a Hornet or Grasshopper, since they're so similar to the Lunch Box.

I would buy an E-Revo based on my limited experience driving koolwhipman's.Very durable and capable. The only downsides seem to be the cost and battery-hungriness.</p>

rustlerduster 06-16-2009 05:30 PM

RE: Which cars/trucks would you NOT recommend, based on your experience?

i would never buy another mini-baja or losi mini-lst maybe im wrong or just got screwed but my trannys were junk on both of them and they kept sending me bad ones but thats just my experience.

madmax22 06-16-2009 05:33 PM

Anything exceed is a big no n in my books... Also my sportwerks chaos sucked pretty bad too...<div>
</div><div>What I LOVE and are mad durable- RC18T, Thunder tiger ST-1, slash, venom creeper, savage, the t-maxx is JUSt hanging in there... theres more but i dont want to kill everyone :D</div>

guver 06-16-2009 05:47 PM

Interesting thread. I'll just list them instead of telling a story about each experience.

Super Hornet
Evader BX
TT-01
Evader ST
E-savage
3906 e-maxx
warhead
thunderquake
stampede
mini-quake
vendetta bx
ODST
Twin detonator
wheelyking
lunchbox
Dark Impact
PTI trucks

t9dragon 06-16-2009 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

There are a ton of threads asking things like: "I'm a noob. What truck should Iget?" or "What is the best car?"

There's a thread going now, over in the general forum asking why it always turns into a fight when someone asks what is best.

That made me wonder, based just on your experience, what cars/trucks have you guys had that you would not buy again?

I'll start. If they Tamiya re-releasedThe Falcon, I wouldn't buy it. It didn't seem like Ihad to hit a curb very hard to break the chassis, back in the day.

I wouldn't buy a Tamiya Brat again. Maybe Ihad unrealistic expectations, but I expected it to be a bit more durable. The steering tie rod is always bending on me. I've only ever had mild crashes. (never into a curb or anything hard, just roll-overs) I've never jumped it. Just not durable enough, even though it was considered pretty durable in '83. I was going to buy a Slash, but wanted to build a car from parts, so Iwent this way.

<u>Flipside:</u>

On the other hand, I would buy a Stampede or Lunch Box again. Both very durable and fun. By extension, I would risk a Hornet or Grasshopper, since they're so similar to the Lunch Box.

I would buy an E-Revo based on my limited experience driving koolwhipman's.Very durable and capable. The only downsides seem to be the cost and battery-hungriness.</p>
Well your comment about the Falcon is wrong........... LOL.............. I have had one since it was released and used bash the **** out of it. Yes, parts on it would break just like parts on todays RC's break.

I would stay away from anything you can't get the parts for at your LHS................................

Chris_RC 06-16-2009 06:18 PM

I would stay away from anything you can't get the parts for at your LHS................................
....Or if you have a online shop within a couple hundred miles that would be ideal. FOr me, it is Amain which is about 400 miles away. You get free USPS priority shipping on orders over $100 and it gets to me in 2 days.

Now to the list I would never buy again:

XTM Mammoth MT (horrible quality)
Traxxas Rustler (needs too many upgrades to be durable)
Losi Muggy (durability issues)
Mini-Baja (I guess my expectations were too high for a mini, but this car is a POS)

airmayle 06-16-2009 06:52 PM

I would have to say an Exceed Dynamite electric 4x4 is my choose of what not to buy. I would not buy another one or recommend it to someone either. It was more first experience with the hobby and it was differently a learning one. I will say it was a lot of fun to drive when it wasn't broken and that is one of the reasons I stuck with the hobby. I still have this truck and plan on fixing it for my four year old to drive.

FieroMan121 06-16-2009 07:00 PM

im pretty easy to please when it comes to rc but the mrc/academy sbv2 pro wasnt what i had hoped it would be, maybe its because i set my expectations to high but its just not as fun to go around the track as my other cars. the included wrenches were crappy, the screws, i felt in some cases had loose tolerances (not all), alsoalot of parts that should by any mesure of commonsense been made out of aluminum were instead made of avery hard (result beingfragile)nylon. things like the front bulk head should have been a little tougher (i know its a race buggy but still) also, i like some of the more unique features of it but they are also a hindrance at times, and things like the shock toweres dont come threaded and require a lot of effort to get the sometimes shoddy screws into them

as far as after market stuff the spektrum dx2 was a let down and the vxl esc has been sort of a pain (the motor isnt though, its a great race motor for heavier cars like my late model) also the ofna servo saver dosent give, the adapter just fails.

Jeremy Z 06-16-2009 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: guver

Interesting thread. I'll just list them instead of telling a story about each experience.

Super Hornet
Evader BX
TT-01
Evader ST
E-savage
3906 e-maxx
warhead
thunderquake
stampede
mini-quake
vendetta bx
ODST
Twin detonator
wheelyking
lunchbox
Dark Impact
Wow, those are the ones you wouldn't buy again? That is a hell of a list. Maybe you were just checking to see if we would fight with you, hehehe.

guver 06-16-2009 07:39 PM

I even read the other thread you mentioned about it turning into a fight. I see the threads all the time, but really don't consider it fighting.
Anyways I suppose it proves some personal preferences since the pede and lunchbox are on my don't buy list , yet they are on your buy list.

I keep adding to it when I remember another.
Here's some on my buy again list.

3905 e-maxx
e-revo
rustler
slash
raze buggy
raze truggy
evader ext
sprint 2
4-tec
vendetta st
rc18b
rc18t
bandit
delphi indy
nitro evst
tower terror

Redvanmafia 06-16-2009 09:33 PM

i would not recomend any cars/trucks from duratrax

rclugnut10 06-16-2009 09:59 PM

^^^ is always trashing DTX, my not to buy list only have owned 4, but to be honest the sport werks chaos was a tad overated, and only meh,

thelug

Budget Monty 06-16-2009 11:11 PM

I have only ever purchased one car that I fully regretted and would not recommend. This is the HPI Brama 10B. The drivetrain is just made of peanut brittle, and is not upgradable. Plus it is a take off of the E10 chassis on-road car, which sucks because they put bigger tires on it, but did not change the gearing, and no optional spurs are available, so it simply can not be geared properly. I love HPI, but if they weren't going to spend the time to fix the few details that made the car garbage, they should have not shipped it.

MonkeyFist 06-16-2009 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Budget Monty

I have only ever purchased one car that I fully regretted and would not recommend. This is the HPI Brama 10B. The drivetrain is just made of peanut brittle, and is not upgradable. Plus it is a take off of the E10 chassis on-road car, which sucks because they put bigger tires on it, but did not change the gearing, and no optional spurs are available, so it simply can not be geared properly. I love HPI, but if they weren't going to spend the time to fix the few details that made the car garbage, they should have not shipped it.
I think they realized that, but not until it was too late. Now they have the Cyber 10B with is a MUCH better buggy.

nitrocomplex1776 06-17-2009 06:03 AM

I own a duratrax evader ext i am having fun with it but i wouldn't buy another to hard to find parts for around here locally so the down time is a killer when i can use my evader.  I know this S.T. was meant as a entry level r/c and didn't expect a racer or basher just a simple easy r/c to use until i can get some thing higher up like a e-firestorm or yes even a rustler.

john01374 06-17-2009 09:02 AM

Lets see,

<u>Cars i wouldn't buy again</u>.

Evader BX Pro - Huge mistake.
Evader EXT - Again. Huge mistake. Wasn't worth the $89 I paid for it.
Raven - fragile and finding parts was impossible.
Trinity Now. Just poorly designed and again, Hard to get parts.
E-maxx - Both models. Where do I even start!!!
Losi mini LST2. Way too fragile.
TT-01D - Not a bad car. Just don't understand the fascination of RC drifting.
Losi XXX - Good racer. <u>Really </u>Bad basher. It seemed like that thing would break if I got with 10 ft of hitting something.
Assoc B4 - Again, Good racer, bad basher
Mini Quake Non-pro. The SE PRO is a great truck. The regualar truck is not so good.
I;m sure there are more but that's what comes to mind right now.

<u>Going back a few years. Things I wouldn't buy again</u>.
Kyosho raider. I always wanted one as a kid but didn't get it until a couple of years back. Huge dissapointment.
Tamiya Bruiser - Yes i said it. I wouldn't do that again for any amount of money. Great body but keeping those things running is a huge PITA.
Tamiya King cab - Diff halfs where too soft and you could never get the ball diff to stop slipping.
Futaba FX10 ( AKA tamiya striker buggy). You think the grasshopper is primitive !!

<u>Things i would buy again.</u>

Traxxas rustler - Great all around stadium truck for bashing. Needs some mods to go racing but it can be done.
Traxxas Pede - Seriously tough go anywhere 2WD monster truck.
Traxxas Slash - Do I need to list reasons?
Traxxas bandit VXL - There is no easier way to go 70 mph. All of the toughness of the Rustler in a buggy chassis.
Tamiya hotshot, boomerang, fire dragon, brat, frog, hornet, grasshopper, pajero, etc etc. These are my favorites because these are the cars I grew up with and they're kits. I love the classics.
MRC thunder king - You thing todays 1/8 scale are tough. If you haven't seen one of these things.......
Tamiya TA-02 stadium trucks. Awesome scale trucks and tough.
TL-01 chassis buggies and touring cars. This chassis was under the baja champ and king as well as a ton of touring cars a few years back. Not nearly as agile as today's buggies but strong and very capable.

There are a ton more i'd buy but i just don't have the time to list them all.

larryf333 06-17-2009 11:49 AM

Two trucks I wouldn't buy again.  The Duratrax Evader and Losi Mini-T.  The Evader was good for a beginner, but just not good enough for anything else.  The Mini-T was fun in the house/garage, but once you went outside, it's just too small and didn't go through the yard well.  Not to mention the turnbuckles bent anytime it even remotely brushed against anything.

FairTax4me 06-17-2009 07:45 PM

I don't think there's any RC that I wouldn't buy. I'll give any of them a chance, but only if I can get a great deal on it.

My Evader ST for example. I never was very impressed with it, though it does corner better than any of my other trucks, but I got it for $20 running, with a battery (which I promptly over-discharged and threw away). I certainly wouldn't pay full price for another one, because it just hasn't held up to how I treat my trucks. But if I could get another one for $20 I'd probably go for it, just for parts.

A thread like this really doesn't prove much IMO, except for a select few vehicles that really are trash, most of what people will choose to buy or not to buy again comes down to what they hear other people saying about that product. Who knows if they've ever even owned one to judge it themselves? Everyone is guilty of bashing a product that they've never used, and you can't blame them because it's human nature. Is like trying to argue between Chevy, Ford, or Dodge (I don't even like typing that "word").
And personal experiences can differ based on expectations derived from hearsay. If you expect a vehicle to perform a certain way based on what you've heard/read, and it doesn't come close, your opinion of that vehicle is probably going to be pretty low.

Cheesewaffle 06-17-2009 08:30 PM

My tmaxx. I can't really think of a single part off the top of my head that i havent replaced. I've had to modify it out the arse to get to where i want. Same thing with my mini lst. Losi's normal scale are great, they should stick to that. the drive train is crap on the mlst. Who puts 100% plastic diffs in a car?

disjaukifa 06-17-2009 09:00 PM

Ok RCs I would not buy again:

Duratrax Raze - one cartwheel and the front axle housing snaps and I lost the axle also.
Traxxas Slash - Everything was great . . . minus the motor and the chassis flex and poor handling.
Tamiya F103 - Really can only be run on a onroad track.

RCs I might get again:

HPI Savage - seemed too be constant tuning and maintence.
HPI Firestorm - hahah it was just way to fast.
Tamiya TT-01 - Great car just don't have a place to run I road cars.

RCs I would buy again:

Tamiya Clod/Super Clod Buster - what can I say it's a classic
Tamiya Dual Hunter - An amazing vehicle that does great at backyard bashing

RCs I would like to get:
Tamiya TXT-1
Tamiya Juggernaut - would love to find one NIB
Tamiya CC-01 Jeep Wrangler
Tamiya CR-01 Unimog - I think slower might be better for me
Tamiya CR-01 Wrangler - Yeah I love Jeeps
Tamiya Rough Rider re-release

Um yeah I like tamiya but there are some Tamiyas I would never get again.

-Disjaukifa

FieroMan121 06-17-2009 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

A thread like this really doesn't prove much IMO, except for a select few vehicles that really are trash, most of what people will choose to buy or not to buy again comes down to what they hear other people saying about that product. Who knows if they've ever even owned one to judge it themselves? Everyone is guilty of bashing a product that they've never used, and you can't blame them because it's human nature. Is like trying to argue between Chevy, Ford, or Dodge (I don't even like typing that "word").
And personal experiences can differ based on expectations derived from hearsay. If you expect a vehicle to perform a certain way based on what you've heard/read, and it doesn't come close, your opinion of that vehicle is probably going to be pretty low.

i was just thinking the same thing, i could look through my tower catolage and just sit there and say ya or na without even a seconed thought, and like i posted earlier, peoples opinions will vary depending on what they had expected from vids on the tube and forum users like us, and as far as other cars go, you cant judge acar in absolutes, and of course there are exceptions to the rules. for example, most (everyone reallyhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif) will tell you that a pede could never race but i do it every saturday and keep up with the best of them! but then again that is an extreme so isnt probably something i would base my opinion off of, another example is venom, most people (myself included) have a low opinion of them but my neibor has packs that are a few years old and work fine despite a lot of abuse. also for people like me who are open minded and are creative, these "whats good/bad" threads are meaningless. and in the end alot of times they dont listen and have already made up there minds, and yes, ive said buy this or that but who hasnt?

rant over http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/thumbup.gif

wrxrocks 06-18-2009 12:27 AM

I will never buy Losi Highroller ever again.  The tranny broke three times, the esc burned out only after 4 runs and motor on the fifth run.  The dog born broke and the wheel cracked.  It is still sitting in my garage and never again i want to fix that thing up. 

ryansiki 06-18-2009 02:29 AM

I would never buy an RC18T. I know people say they're great but mine sucked monkey nuts. After a few runs the diff melted and was all &amp;%&amp;$ed up. Pieces of plastic all over the gear box and the diff itself was melted together, so I had to rip it apart with pliers. I just was really unhappy with it( especially because I put money into that hunk of junk), but I sold it for $90 and now I got a SC10 RTR( Lucas). Really cool looking truck, A-arms are a little weak, but I getting some from RPM. Going brushless too :D

Jeremy Z 06-18-2009 01:10 PM

FairTax, Fieroman: Who said I'm trying to prove anything?

Nothing ever gets proved here, it is just opinions.

I find it useful, and I think maybe some others do. Well, others who don't know everything yet.

For example, I see that Duratrax is making the "Wouldn't Buy Again"  list pretty consistently. Are there happy Duratrax owners? Certainly, but it doesn't seem to be the norm.

More useful yet are the reasons, which a lot of folks didn't bother to type in...

ElectricGuy007 06-18-2009 02:05 PM

Hard decision, I'm actually satified with all the RC's I have. I just bought a Rc18MT used and it runs fine.
I used to have an 18T when they came out in 2005, then I sold it because I broke it
(not my fault of course, thought I was some hot stuff out there running with nitro touring cars huge mistake never will I do that again)
and parts support didnt come in until later.
Now I have an 18MT to mess around with, going brushless in something this small is pointless because it just tries to fly like an airplane.
It has an CVD kit installed already so that's one less thing I'll have to worry about.

The ones I'll never buy again:
Traxxas Rustler-handled poorly not designed for racing, but very durable.
Traxxas Original E-maxx-handled decent, parts were easy to break

Wow just 2, people on this list have like dozens they dont like.

The only RC's on my list are maybe a slash and a 2wd buggy designed for racing. Comon hotbodies make that D2.