RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Best Novak speed control for the Clodbuster (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9049098-best-novak-speed-control-clodbuster.html)

mrbigg 08-27-2009 08:58 AM

Best Novak speed control for the Clodbuster

I just picked up a couple of used Clodbusters at the LHS and was wondering what would be a good speed controller from Novak? The motors are pink label, Trinity Monster Horspower. Included with the trucks was a Futaba Mc112B, but it got pretty hot in about 2 minutes of running. I was only using an A123, 4600 pack. Voltage was 6.7.

mazdaprotege4 08-27-2009 09:33 AM

RE: Best Novak speed control for the Clodbuster

I have use the Super Duty XR (dual motor ESC) with good succss.  Otherwise there is the Rooster series which a lot of people use.

elpurete 08-27-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

I just picked up a couple of used Clodbusters at the LHS and was wondering what would be a good speed controller from Novak? The motors are pink label, Trinity Monster Horspower. Included with the trucks was a Futaba Mc112B, but it got pretty hot in about 2 minutes of running. I was only using an A123, 4600 pack. Voltage was 6.7.

You where only using A123??? that ESC won't handle that kind of power... LOL

mazdaprotege4 08-27-2009 02:29 PM

I don't think it was the batteries (stock 6-cells put out 7.2V), I am guessing that the motors in parallel were more than the ESC can handle.  If I am not mistaken the Futaba is just a entry level unit probably rated at something like 23T or higher.

Lilredmachine 08-27-2009 05:52 PM

It's nothing to do with the voltage. You are running two monster truck mod motors in a heavy clodbuster, they will be pulling some big amps. Wouldn't be a problem usually as the nimh can only supply so much, so they are the weak point. You use A123 and the esc has to deal with easily double, maybe even treble the amp draw. Hence it becomes the bottleneck and gets real hot real fast.

g_veneziano1 08-27-2009 06:54 PM

Dual Super Roosters!

mrbigg 08-28-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

It's nothing to do with the voltage. You are running two monster truck mod motors in a heavy clodbuster, they will be pulling some big amps. Wouldn't be a problem usually as the nimh can only supply so much, so they are the weak point. You use A123 and the esc has to deal with easily double, maybe even treble the amp draw. Hence it becomes the bottleneck and gets real hot real fast.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Like I said, it came with the truck so I thought I'd try it. Thanks guys for all the help. I'll go check the ones out you all recommended.

mrbigg 08-28-2009 10:41 AM

Anybody know the specs on the Trinity Monster Horspower, pink label motor? I couldn't find anything.