RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9157149-official-traxxas-4wd-slash-thread.html)

flat6 10-09-2009 09:16 PM

RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

finally after 16 years or whatever of wanting and asking for a 4 x 4 stampede, then they SCREW us and give it the vxl and 2.4 radio which MOST people don't want in order to drive the price way up, they act all high and mightly on the webpage about since we asked for it they made it, we asked for a kit to, best thing about traxxas is the aftermarket companies will ge on this and within a year between the aftermarket and ebay we will be able to build one from scratch with quality components, gotta hand it to them with the full line of accessories right off the bat, $400 is crack cocaine kinda high, better be closer to three than four

Yeah how dare them include the best stuff they could. PeterV on the traxxas forum said even an AM radio/brushed version would be around $300 or slightly less. So basically for $100 more you get 2.4 radio, brushless, and a battery. Id say that is not to shabby.

I for one think it will be a bargain at $350 and still a solid value at $399

best stuff they could?
you mean best stuff they would, if you think the vxl is the best your in bad shape, the esc is poor or decent at best, the motor is decent but no where near the best, the 2.4 radio is better than the am stuff DUH but would you throw away your DX 3 for it? I wouldn't even get rid of my spair 75 FM JR XS 3 pro for it.
it should be a kit at $169 plain and simple,you used to be able to get a whole brushed truck and am radio for that from the very same company, oh wait the xl 5 pede still is that much! Like I said it won't be long and you'll be able to build one from scratch without there CHEASY electronics, then I might have one, no rtr crap for me, even at $299 it would be a hard sale to me personally. The VXL system sells to hobby shops at right around $100, the radio(tx and rx) even more, take that crap out and sell it as a race roller if your worried about fit and finish of unassembled parts but their replacement parts are fine and all interchange nicely so there is no reason why they should not sell kits other than it dosn't line there pockets as well. The RTR version should come with KY sponsorship logos for the side if its $399.

and by the way, Peter works for Traxxas, his job is to make money for traxxas last I knew, I bet they will have less than $150 in the entire RTR package on there end, of course they need to make there R and D as well as production costs back but not on the first 10,000 units
Are you serious???? I have never seen such whining in my life. Lets break things down a little. First off, it is very obvious that you dislike RTR models, and more so traxxas because they produce so many RTR models. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but you obviously do not understand the business side of things.

Short Course racing is without a doubt one of the most popular areas of RC right now and just take a second and think to yourself why that is... Ive got one answer for you, BECAUSE IT IS AFFORDABLE.

So the VXL system may not be the best, no one ever claimed it was. Obviously the 200.00 DX3 radios will be better than the 2.4 that comes in a RTR, DUH! The great thing about RTR and these packages such as the 4 wheel drive slash, is that people can actually afford them without taking out a loan. I don't know about you, but I dont have 700 to drop on a 1/8th buggy and another 500 for all the supporting accessories, etc. Very few people have that kind of money to invest into the hobby. If the RC world was strictly centered around 1000.00$ vehicles and setups, it would not make it. (take into consideration the large number of younger kids who are into rc who have very limited funds).

With that being said, lets jump into the RTR side of things. A lot of people who buy entry level setups DO NOT want to go home and spend hours assembling it and also having to buy various electronics, etc. Once again, that works for you, but if RTR packages were not available, the hobby would not attract nearly as many new people as it recently has.

I personally think the 4x4 10th slash is a GREAT addition to the RC World. For those who feel that every new RC that hits the stage has to be 100% original, you are not living on a planet we like to call earth. It's not possible. It is great that we get so many variations available to us (2wd slash, 4wd slash, 1/16 slash, rustler, stampede, bandit, etcccccccccccc.)
If losi wants to toss out a brushless 4wd strike, it would not be a bad idea at all, same with associated and HPI.

In the end, companies such as traxxas have to make money to survive. They do their best to build what people want, but also what will SELL. Few can afford a 700 high end NON RTR setup, where as many can afford a 200,300, or 400$ Complete RTR setup.

Traxxas made a very smart decision producing this truck. It will sell and be a great investment on their part regardless of what you and the others who hate it have to say. The people hating on this truck are by far the minority and in the end you cant please everyone.

Once again, if you don't like the truck, don't buy it. Its very simple. For you to say you wouldn't pay much money at all for the 4wd slash, just keep in mind I would probably pay less for something that you may enjoy. Let the people who are excited for this truck celebrate and stop filling the threads with such negativity.

R/C Lightweight 10-09-2009 09:21 PM

Well said, flat6. Simply put, "if you don't like it, don't buy one."

Littl3TuffGuy13 10-09-2009 09:40 PM

Those little buggers.

thzero 10-10-2009 08:31 AM

While in general, a good post. However, the following is a bit overblown. If it were, then the likes of Losi, HPI, etc. would not be selling 1/8th scale monster trucks, 1/5 scale buggies, not to mention the 1/8th buggy/truggy vehicles.

While RTR is great for those coming into the hobby. It sure does suck for those of us who do like to buy the vehicle because its cool (4x4 slash is what I was waiting for) but dont' want the "baseline" radio and electronic gear that comes with it.

ORIGINAL: flat6
They do their best to build what people want, but also what will SELL. Few can afford a 700 high end NON RTR setup, where as many can afford a 200,300, or 400$ Complete RTR setup.

Redvanmafia 10-10-2009 09:09 AM

Im getting one, this is sick

SyCo_VeNoM 10-10-2009 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: thzero

While in general, a good post. However, the following is a bit overblown. If it were, then the likes of Losi, HPI, etc. would not be selling 1/8th scale monster trucks, 1/5 scale buggies, not to mention the 1/8th buggy/truggy vehicles.

While RTR is great for those coming into the hobby. It sure does suck for those of us who do like to buy the vehicle because its cool (4x4 slash is what I was waiting for) but dont' want the ''baseline'' radio and electronic gear that comes with it.

ORIGINAL: flat6
They do their best to build what people want, but also what will SELL. Few can afford a 700 high end NON RTR setup, where as many can afford a 200,300, or 400$ Complete RTR setup.

Honestly I never seen the issue with people whining about the stock electronics

Don't want them there is a magical service called EBAY that will let you sell them to people that will give decent money for them.
As a EXAMPLE lets say you want a Traxxas Bandit without the option parts. In the past 2-3 weeks I've seen XL-5 ESCs (needed one for my HPI) sell for $60 alone, the controllers hit $30, the 550 motors are usually $15-20, and you probably can dump the battery for $15-20 easy. So lets say you buy a bandit for $180 and hate the RTR package and sell the electronics and sell it for what I stated I've seen the parts people hate to get usually sell for you sold off around $130, and get a Brand new roller (with servo still you can sell off for another $10-15 off the price) for $50 that you can put whatever you want in. Where Traxxas if they were selling it as a kit without any of that gear they would probably have to charge $100-110 to subsidize the cost of the kits production. Lets face it they would need a new box design to hold the parts, change the layout of the factory to have extra machines box parts in bags to put in the kit along, and charge more for lower sales than the RTR along with other added costs. In the long run it is not profitable on their end.

And honestly I see only a further increase in sales value for the parts off of the new slash. Alot of people trying to get into brushless will buy the waterproof ESC with the motor no problem and people who don't want to shell out $150-300 for a good 2.4 ghz controller would probably happily pay $60-70 for the included one.

Now about the 4X4 I really dislike most of Traxxas designs. But this is one that I actually want and am very happy its RTR. If it didn't have everything included I wouldn't even have looked at it a 2nd time.

mufflerbearing 10-10-2009 11:56 AM

I don't see why anybody could hate this truck. Brushless, 2.4Ghz, AWD, nimh battery, and sealed diffs right out of the box. Not to mention this truck is 100% waterproof baby!

I know I really want one, BAD.

Matt_Gruizinga 10-10-2009 05:39 PM

did anyone notice that in the video it is loud as hell?

but i'm still getting one, no matter how long it takes (well, lets face it. if HPI come out with something like this, i'd rather have that)

MuggyDude 10-10-2009 07:47 PM

Stop complaining, honestly it's as cool as ever. You just can't expect some things from Traxxas, like kits or 1/8 truggies/buggies.

3W flyer 10-10-2009 08:29 PM

ohhhhh, this SUCKS! i JUST bought a normal slash 1 month ago! dang i wish this had come out 1 month ago

Doxiedad 10-10-2009 09:19 PM

I dunno, as I watch the various threads about this truck the people who don't like Traxxas wouldn't like anything they put out. I like it myself. But a 1/8th woulda been cool too.

IBrakeForNobody 10-10-2009 10:04 PM

Wow, first RC-related post in a long time. I've been out of the hobby for 2-3 years, but this may just bring me back in. Always wanted a single battery, 4-wheel-drive truck since I started R/C in 2003, but the HPI RS4MT had already been discontinued for a few years when I started R/C, and I didn't want an E-Maxx or a buggy.

As a business major, what kind of concerns me is what effect this will have on the market. Traxxas seems to already have a majority of the short-course market share, with everyone else either close behind or left in the dust. I haven't been active in R/C for a few years, but I've watched the market evolve from stadium trucks to rock crawlers to short course trucks. After Traxxas released the Slash (arguably based on the Rustler/Stampede platform) and the other companies saw what a success it was, it was fairly easy for them to adapt their own 2WD stadium trucks to be short course trucks.

But with the release of this mostly all-new truck, it seems the only options for the other companies will either be to develop their own 4WD short-course trucks from scratch, adapt their existing 4WD buggy or touring car platforms to be short course trucks (which would be fitting for HPI and Associated, with cars such as the Brama 10B or the TC4, respectively) or be completely left out of the market share altogether. It will be interesting to see whether this truck will cause another explosion in the R/C industry, whether it will flop (I don't think it will) and be discontinued, or whether it will be left alone in the 1/10 electric 4WD truck niche.

EDIT:

To be honest, I was really, really close to going out and buying an HPI Sprint 2 touring car since I've never had an on-road R/C car (and the fact that I could paint bodies replicating most of my friends' 1:1 cars), and again, I've always wanted a single battery, 4WD R/C car. I figured that I could modify the chassis a little bit and raise the suspension higher, get a Subaru Impreza body, and use it as a rally car to satisfy my off-road side.

But, belt-drive and off-road don't really mix, and it wasn't really a true off-road vehicle. For me, it would be an interesting finding to see whether or not the Slash 4x4 could be configured in a way to either handle just as good as a Sprint 2, or even exceed a Sprint 2 in handling (and even top speed). The Slash 4x4 does weigh more, but it also has more rubber in contact with the road, and combined with the optional Traxxas accessory sway bars and center differential (making it AWD instead of full-time 4WD), as well as lowering the suspension, I think that it could be somewhat close in handling to a Sprint 2. Now obviously it wasn't designed for on-road racing, but a Sprint 2 wasn't designed to go off-road either, so as I said before, it would be interesting for me personally on whether a Slash 4x4 is better on-road than a Sprint 2 is off-road.

I'm not planning on trying to race a Slash 4x4 on-road, but I would find it pretty darn hilarious if, just for kicks, I could out-handle and out-drift a Sprint 2 with a Slash 4x4 (other reason I mention the Sprint 2 is that a few of my Mazda buddies got into R/C recently ["It's way cheaper to mod than a real car!"] and they all have Sprint 2 Drift RTRs).

gelbschnee 10-10-2009 11:04 PM

I can imagine that its atleast 3 times louder than the slash...come on, atleast twice the amount of rotational mass as the slash and at traxxas decibel levels.

EDIT:
I don't want to be a traxxas hater, I just like humor. This truck looks like a rock solid BEAST

Dialed_In 10-11-2009 12:53 AM

Hi IBrakeForNobody! Your post reminded me of this thread. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ghlight=subaru

It's a lcg 2wd Slash but the body looks awesome. I'm not sure who else carries them but here's a link to amain. http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...u+body&x=0&y=0

IBrakeForNobody 10-11-2009 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Dialed_In

Hi IBrakeForNobody! Your post reminded me of this thread. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ghlight=subaru

It's a lcg 2wd Slash but the body looks awesome. I'm not sure who else carries them but here's a link to amain. http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...u+body&x=0&y=0
That just sold me on the Slash 4x4 (especially because Slash 2WD bodies are supposed to be a direct fit, meaning that fitting a 310mm touring car body should fit fine on the Slash 4x4). Ain't gettin' a touring car now! :D

Now that I think of it, even with road tires, center diff, and sway bars, the Slash 4x4 isn't going to come close to a touring car in terms of handling, but I think it will definitely hold the road better because it has wider tires and AWD. Lowered and with the Subaru body (which, by the way, will be a really good replica of a Subaru Impreza...complete with AWD!), I'm sure to get some disgusted faces from my buddies with Sprint 2s. :D

Tilux 10-11-2009 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

Im getting one, this is sick
Great, that change the subject a bit.
Anyway, why you guys come out on the ''official'' forum to whine about it? Its just a a post for people who want it. Personally I dont like it but, WHY you guys come to **** about it here???? I dont get it.

SyCo_VeNoM 10-11-2009 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: IBrakeForNobody

But with the release of this mostly all-new truck, it seems the only options for the other companies will either be to develop their own 4WD short-course trucks from scratch, adapt their existing 4WD buggy or touring car platforms to be short course trucks (which would be fitting for HPI and Associated, with cars such as the Brama 10B or the TC4, respectively) or be completely left out of the market share altogether. It will be interesting to see whether this truck will cause another explosion in the R/C industry, whether it will flop (I don't think it will) and be discontinued, or whether it will be left alone in the 1/10 electric 4WD truck niche.

Lets not mention the Brama 10b I have one and in all truth it is the WORST designed HPI product I've owned and regret buying (would regret it alot more if I didn't get it brand new for $100 and paid the $180ish I see it for on hobby shop sites). I own a MT2, MT1, and a Savage X also (all very well designed trucks if you ask me) and love to drive them and work on them. To make the brama usable I had to put in a Traxxas XL5 ESC to support the Venom Fireball 20 turn motor I purchased, due to the HPI ESC not being able to pump out enough juice for the motor (even though its rated for 20 turns...) Stock you could almost walk faster than a Brama its that pathetically slow (has a 35t motor) and its ball cups along with the drive rod is plastic, and it has Teflon bearings to round out its shoddy design. Add in almost 0 after market support and option parts(only option part is a aluminum drive shaft off the car version of the buggy and only part they share in common. And yeah racings Ball bearing set). There is also almost no gear availability you get a 65t spur gear that melts insanely easy (as I've found out) and is unique only to the Brama and E10 and standard pinion gears do not seem to mesh wel with HPI's teeth (bought 3 different brands none work right). So personally if HPI made a Short course truck based on the Brama it would fail due to the Brama being a complete failure. (only good part I like about the Brama is the radio.)

Now if HPI based a shorcourse truck on the MT2 which I don't think would be that hard seeing it only should need a little shorter arms, shafts shocks, and chassis that would probably work fine.

To get this back on topic as for Traxxas they have nailed it as close to as perfect as you can get out of the box. I only hope the Slash 4X4's parts are made stronger and more durable than my nephews Stampede (I find the stock parts are kinda flimsy) because I plan on getting a Slash ;).

BTW that was just my 2 cents on the Brama adapted as a SC truck idea though coming from a Brama owner.

Dialed_In 10-11-2009 10:26 PM

That just sold me on the Slash 4x4 (especially because Slash 2WD bodies are supposed to be a direct fit, meaning that fitting a 310mm touring car body should fit fine on the Slash 4x4). Ain't gettin' a touring car now! :D

Now that I think of it, even with road tires, center diff, and sway bars, the Slash 4x4 isn't going to come close to a touring car in terms of handling, but I think it will definitely hold the road better because it has wider tires and AWD. Lowered and with the Subaru body (which, by the way, will be a really good replica of a Subaru Impreza...complete with AWD!), I'm sure to get some disgusted faces from my buddies with Sprint 2s. :D
Maybe I should get a commission LOL. The 4X4 Slash's ground clearance is 2.5" which is an inch lower than the 2wd model. That should help a little when running on road. If your buddies out handle you just run a 3s Lipo and run them over :D.

If you do get the Subaru body, shop around a little. I did see it around 1/2 price at Horizon but I believe they are in Canada.

Good luck!

Brandon4164 10-15-2009 05:16 PM

I have a great idea, if someone wants a truck with the best things you could put on it like a Dx3 radio, Novak brushless system, all aluminum upgrades, etc... GO BUY AN RC FROM LOSI FOR $699 AND DUMP ALL THE MONEY YOU HAVE INTO IT INSTEAD OF WHINING THAT THIS ISNT GOOD ENOUGH!!!! If Traxxas put the best things on the market on a truck the only thing that would be Traxxas would be the the company you bought it from or the company that put it together and it would cost well over $2000 new in box! If they did away with RTR trucks that dont cost a fortune I would not be able to enjoy this amazing hobby(as well as many other no matter the age) because I am a teenager who has no job because im only 15. Traxxas does not build trucks made for professionals, they make their trucks so that people can enjoy a fast, fun truck for an affordable price!!!! Anyone know who invented the first r/c vehicle???(I do, hint: the inventors initials are N T the r/c was a boat)

Thanks!
Brandon

Always Dreamin 10-16-2009 12:51 PM

Wow, first RC-related post in a long time. I've been out of the hobby for 2-3 years, but this may just bring me back in. Always wanted a single battery, 4-wheel-drive truck since I started R/C in 2003, but the HPI RS4MT had already been discontinued for a few years when I started R/C, and I didn't want an E-Maxx or a buggy.

Same here! Saw this on the website and was just in awe.

Reminds me of that BL Savage that I never got around to building. Then on the other hand it reminds me of the simple go anywhere do anything cheap attitude that RTR's have.
And really, why argue over stock electronics? Traxxas is the richest R/C company out there and I don't think its because they listen to little kids saying they want this or that. They make what sells. That's why I and others will be drooling over it till we get our hands on it!

Redvanmafia 10-16-2009 01:31 PM

Traxxas is king, and everybody know's it i love the new 4X4 SLASH

IBrakeForNobody 10-16-2009 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

Same here! Saw this on the website and was just in awe.

Reminds me of that BL Savage that I never got around to building. Then on the other hand it reminds me of the simple go anywhere do anything cheap attitude that RTR's have.
And really, why argue over stock electronics? Traxxas is the richest R/C company out there and I don't think its because they listen to little kids saying they want this or that. They make what sells. That's why I and others will be drooling over it till we get our hands on it!

Mission Viejo, eh? A good friend of mine lives in Laguna Hills. Haven't seen him in a while though since he's pretty far away. But anyway, I remember seeing the Gorilla-Maxx E-Revo conversions and the various BL Savage conversions, and even the first-gen E-Savage (I think it was first called "EZilla" or something like that, and marketed by Hot Bodies before it was sold under the HPI brand name). But none were really appealing to me because they were big, heavy, expensive, and ate two batteries at a time. This new Slash 4x4 is exactly what I've been looking for. :)

And I agree with you on Traxxas' marketing. They appeal to the first-time RC'ers who don't really care (or know about) suspensions, electronics, drivetrains etc etc. They just want to swipe the plastic, go home, pull the truck out of the box, go crash it into a tree, then Google an RC forum to complain about how this or that sucks or broke or is poorly designed or whatever. :D I'm sure a good majority of us got our start with a RTR. I know I did (and I still have it too, Traxxas XL-1 Rustler converted to a 'Pede).

I don't know of many people who, for example, go buy an Associated T4 Team kit, Spektrum radio, CC Mamba Max BL setup, Li-po batteries, and a charger, then go home and spend however many hours assembling the kit, painting the body, and setting up the truck. The few people that I do know that did that already had an idea of RC, typically from knowing a friend or relative who was already involved with RC and let them see trucks up close and drive them first-hand.

But for the majority, people would prefer to buy a cheaper RTR just to get their feet wet and see if they like it before dropping hundreds (or thousands) of dollars into a hobby. Sure, there might be trucks similarly priced with better electronics, but currently, Traxxas is the only player in this small niche of the market, so if you don't like the truck, then simply don't buy it and wait for something better (although, going along with my previous posts, you might be waiting in vain).

bbuzzard 10-16-2009 08:17 PM

I'm getting one...that is all!:)

lapiaz 10-18-2009 04:44 AM

Great news for me . mambamosnter and futaba radio for the $X$ and the veleinon waterproof ec for my old and loved 2WD slash... Thanks god I resisted the urge off getting the 1/16 versions ....

Lilredmachine 10-18-2009 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

For me, it would be an interesting finding to see whether or not the Slash 4x4 could be configured in a way to either handle just as good as a Sprint 2, or even exceed a Sprint 2 in handling (and even top speed). The Slash 4x4 does weigh more, but it also has more rubber in contact with the road, and combined with the optional Traxxas accessory sway bars and center differential (making it AWD instead of full-time 4WD), as well as lowering the suspension, I think that it could be somewhat close in handling to a Sprint 2. Now obviously it wasn't designed for on-road racing, but a Sprint 2 wasn't designed to go off-road either, so as I said before, it would be interesting for me personally on whether a Slash 4x4 is better on-road than a Sprint 2 is off-road.
psssstttt...

Yes, it can. Short shocks, lowered body mounts, some clever camber ferckling and bumper removing... I should imagine the 4x4 is pretty much the same. Main limiting factor on the Slash is aerodynamics. That bodyshell will pick the truck up at 45mph and dump it back down upside down. i got it to about 70mph looking like it did there before I ran out of power.