RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   AE XP SC2000 ESC trouble? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9183261-ae-xp-sc2000-esc-trouble.html)

hydroboy 10-18-2009 04:04 PM

AE XP SC2000 ESC trouble?

Hey all, Question is how do you know if your esc or your motor is the problem? I have ran maybe a total of 8 packs through my SC-10 and it does not want to run. I took it to the track and it worked fine only ran for maybe 10 min as it was to dry and loose for my taste so out came the savage! Next day the SC wouldn't go. Peaked the batt and the the steering works, the green and red lights indicate that the esc is sending the juice altthough the combo light is on when it is neutral(can't remember if thats normal), even used a multimeter on the motor leads and the needle was indicating power going to the motor so I think it is ok. I pulled the brushes and cleaned them off with "zero-tri" a degreaser that is good to use for electrical also put a little on a Q-tip and cleaned up the shaft contact which seemed pretty dirty. Put the brushes back in the motor and still nothing. Is there any way to safely check the motor like maybe hook it to a 9v battery (independent of the esc or something? I'm baffled and new to electrics so any help is appreciated.[&:]

Josh222 10-18-2009 04:18 PM

RE: AE XP SC2000 ESC trouble?

Sounds like the motor if the esc is putting out power. How does the armature look, are the windings burnt and black?

Druss 10-18-2009 04:21 PM

hook up 2 C cells in series and give it 3v of juice to see if the motor is ok.

luvdisstuff 10-18-2009 04:34 PM

I had a problem and I thought the esc was done for. I hooked the battery to the motor direct and ruled out the motor. Than i connected esc to a differant car and it worked. I narrowed it down to either the tx the reciever or the crystals. Try plugging your motor directly to the battery to see if the motor ids done.Than plug your esc into another car with a charged battery and see if it works.

hydroboy 10-19-2009 07:35 AM

Thanks guys, I looked at the shaft (armature?) and it looked as if it had some black lines in the length of it where the brushes would contact it. I then took a 9v batt and touched the motor leads to it but it only spun briefly. I picked up another stock motor off of ebay last night so with any luck I'll know for sure in a week. Note on the TX, it didn't work and as such I put a new SPektrum RX in it and am using my new DX3S and it works well in all my other rigs.

luvdisstuff 10-19-2009 01:20 PM

Let us know what the problem was.

hydroboy 10-23-2009 12:07 AM

Well it turns out that the esc is shot[&o]. On the plus side its still under warranty and I now have a back up motor. The esc was still putting out some voltage just not enough to turn the motor and the rep at AE said it sounded as if something is starting to go out in it. So in the mail it goes. At least I've a few other rides to run while its down, the Savy will be happy to scorch some terra firma in its abscence. Thanks for the help all!

luvdisstuff 10-23-2009 07:27 AM

Having a spare rig or 2 really helps in a situation like this.