RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Hard body spray-ing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9192867-hard-body-spray-ing.html)

trf 10-22-2009 04:55 AM

Hard body spray-ing

Because the bodys I wanna paint are from Tamiya off-roads, hard body types, I re-post this one here too, much more dynamic forum than the paint one, so please give me some (or more) hints:
I wanna start spray-ing some hard bodys ...my first atempt was good, but not good enough, so I should ask you here what are the steps:
- preparation (should I sandpaper the body?..or what?)
- spray-ing...I understand that is recommanded from 20-30 cm, in multiple layers, one after another after first one is dry
- after spray lacquer-ing...what kind, how many layers? before or after decals is applied?

Thanks a lot

Hotroder383 10-22-2009 07:29 AM

RE: Hard body spray-ing

Before I start keep in mind I havent painted a RC car body, this is going off what I know about painting and coating automotive parts. Dont sand paper clear plastic your scratches will always show. Wipe out with a tack cloth and clean with a cleaner made for that so you dont leave a residue behind. Do use thin coats and wait untill the paint is "tacky" before spraying again. And yes use a clear coat after the stickers are applied, this will give the finish a smooth feel and protect your decals. NOw this is all going on the idea that you r painting the outside of the body.. But dnt you usally paint the Inside of an RC body?  Wouldnt make much diff if you did, you would just prep it, put decals on then first coat of paint, etc.</p>

mazdaprotege4 10-22-2009 08:17 AM

Those are good thoughs for a lexan body, but he is working with the older Tamiya hard plastic bodies.  I am in the same boat so if anyone has tips that would be great.

Druss 10-22-2009 10:25 AM

Painting the outside is basically the same as painting the inside with only a few differences. You still want to make sure the body is super clean and paint in thin coats. When painting the out side though make sure you paint light colors first and dark colors last. A clear laquer will help as well (after decals).

lee172 10-22-2009 10:39 AM

i'd recommend using Tamiya Primer (google it) for hard bodies.. use white for light colours and grey for dark colours, make sure you wash the body before priming though

Casper06 10-22-2009 01:50 PM

1- Use a light grit sand paper and prep your surface
2- Wash it thoroughly afterwards
3- Base with Primer light coats 3 coats minimum
4- Spray your paint same as above
5- Apply your decals
6- Spray Clear coat for protection maybe two light coats

Important let your coats dry properly between steps or else you will just make a runny mess. ;)

dirtpile 10-22-2009 03:53 PM

Some additional notes: Wash the body first to remove the mould release agent. You might need to scrub it.
You do need really fine sandpaper; about 600 grit for the plastic and the primer.
Keep the pressure light and use long stroke rather than a swirling pattern. Swirls are more likely to show.
Also keep the body wet while you sand, that'll prevent the sandpaper from digging into the plastic.
When you're done it should be smooth and have no gloss to it.
If you end up with light scratches you can go over it again with scotch-brite. Gray or Green only, red/brown is too aggressive. For this you do want to use a circular motion.
Sand the primer after the second or third coat. Again you want to do it very lightly. Also do this dry. And clean the dust off very thoroughly.
Now is the time to look for imperfections and take care of them.
Unlike with lexan bodies it is critical to paint from the roof down. Use light but wet coats (thin even coverage) and let it get tacky between coats as mentioned earlier. It should take three coats to get full coverage.
After this has dried fully check again for imperfections. These can be fixed now with another wet sanding but with 1200 grit paper this time. Go over the whole thing if you do end up sanding it again. And spray another coat when you've got it all fixed up.
Then once it's dry apply the decals and spray your clear.

I know that seems like a lot of work but that's what it takes to get a 'show quality' finish.

cornel4web 10-22-2009 04:28 PM

WOW...this is truly usefull instructions...I have to use this as well...:D

mohsinkhan 01-19-2022 01:09 PM

Oh, this Site is about Spraying cars bodies. I thought it was about Body Spray like AXE, NIVEA, WBM International. Well, the best body spray in Pakistan for the human body is WBM International. Which is crafted keeping in view of the demand in the market for a reliable and lasting scent. This body spray is made with an advanced formula that gives a long-lasting fragrance, odor protection, and sweat control system. These features together make sure that this body spray tends to get through in every household.